Comments By Big Holli

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/north-slope.jpg avatar
  • Big Holli
  • Comments:

Just curious!

Alright I was just was wanting to make sure I wasn't expecting something crazy.

Just curious!

Hey folks I was just curious about what kind of home to work ratios are y'all guys doing? I am married with two kids, and me and my wife are comfortable with me working 22days out a 30 day month. So that's 8 days off. Was just wanting to here what y'all married folk do.

Why not to start out in an automatic truck

The first time I drove a stick was at school. I had never driven a Manual truck before. But some reason I learned fast. And i miss it. Hauling tankers I thought having an auto would be smother ride. It's not. The transmission shifts like a new guy is slamming gears. Don't even get me started on how it handles hills.

Boy what a start

Dang. Me and my fellow team driver got to the terminal Monday morning. To take our truck, move our stuff in. Truck was not clean, still had the other guys tools and what not in it. We were supposed to just hook up to a pre loaded and hit the road to new jersy. We grab the first set of paper work, go ride the yard, no trailer. Go back to dispatch. The trailer is still at the plant, not loaded. Wait a few hours and then the second set of paper work is ready. It was rescheduled. Now the 3 rd trailer is the charm, dispatch says we can unload no matter what time we get there. We get there at 1830, the plant is closed, they stopped taking stuff at 1500. So we had to find a truck stop and sleep. Which is a real waste of a team set up, in my opinion. The next morning we unload. Dispatch calls and says they got a truck broke down in Virginia, going to the plant we just left. As we are driving down there to rescue the load, I notice the lights on my control panel are out. My engine break comes on and off by its self, and my air horn is inop. So now we are waiting at the international service center. Hope next week is better. I am not impressed at all with internationals and Mack trucks. And plus the fact that it's an automatic really sucks lol

First time pulled over

I called the Texas state police and the Louisiana state police (where my liscens is from) and confirmed that no points where taken for a written warning. I could have argued with the officer. But honestly he seemed to want that. And My hours were slowly ticking away. So I was nice took the ticket and left.

First time pulled over

It seems like the papers were in neither place...passenger seat or door pouch. Big Holli, where were they?

We had the papers in a clear pouch next to my seat on the floor board. Within arms reach. When the trooper was walking to the passenger side , my trainer grabbed the paper work and had it all ready on his lap by the time the trooper got up to the window. I get my own truck Monday and will be putting a pouch on the driver door. Even though he still wouldn't have been able to see them. His exact words were " I should be able to see them as soon as I climb up. " It seemed to me that he wanted to argue. I just said "yes sir you have a good one" And yes it was a Hazmat load.

First time pulled over

Well me and my trainer were driving back from Odessa TX. Cruising along when all of a sudden a state trooper is behind us. Pull over and he says he is going to do an inspection. I said sounds good. My trainer had all of the papers ready to hand him should he ask me for them. He checked the whole rig. Didn't find anything. I did exactly what he told me. And when it was over he said " y'all are good to go, I am giving you a citation, a warning, for not having your papers visible when I got to your truck. " I said " thank you stay safe" but idk where I was supposed to keep the papers. If they would have been in the door he still couldn't have seen them because he came on the passenger side. Does any one know if a warning is points on my license? I had everything ready in arms reach.

Well...

First night with a trainer. Met up with him at 2200. Hauling a tanker from Houston to Roanoke TX. About 280 miles each way. Hope to get out of this training phase as quick as possible. But so far so good.

Passed my state road test

Congratulations! What kind if freight are you going to be hauling? I know there's a Service Transport in Texas that does a lot of liquid hazmat. Are you going to be pulling a tanker, or is this a different Service Transport?

Thats the company I am going with. Hauling tankers. Going to be team driving with a good buddy until they open up owner operators again.

Passed my state road test

Congratulations on a job well done. Tell me how was Coastal driving academy

I liked them a lot. If you talk to all of the instructors and other students and make the effort to learn then you will have no problem. I went from not knowing anything about trucks to being able to drive one and back it up with ease.

Passed my state road test

Knocked out all of my Pre trip. Backing and road test. Tomorrow we go over mapping and floating. But Thursday I get my CDL-A!! And orientation for service transport the 30th.

Scary day.

Hey Big Holli, you're in my neck of the woods. We're you oilfield as well ?

No sir. Not oil field. Just decided Truck Driving is what I want to do. worked for Terminix killing bugs for the last year and that got old.

Brake drums versus disk brakes?

Hello!! I was just curious about what y'all prefer, brake drums or disk brakes?? I know a lot of newer trucks are coming out with disk brakes and was curious how they compare to drum brakes? Cost, brake life and such. And today is the last full day of training for my CDL school. Monday morning is test day!!

Scary day.

So I was riding in the back while another student was driving. He was slamming the gears, popping the clutch. Hammering on the breaks. All while the instructor is calmly trying to talk the kid through it all. We get to an intersection, and he hits the breaks hard, truck stalls, won't start back up! And then to make it all better we just happened to be blocking a lane of HWY 190. And we broke down 30 yards behind a DOT officer. Who was fast asleep. Luckily a fellow trucker came with a beautiful Peterbilt, and pulled us off the HWY. I don't know if the rough driving is what caused it but we are waiting at a gas station for a ride back to the school. We are thinking maybe the altenator. Fun day.

Headset??

Thank you all for the advice! I went ahead and ordered a Blue parrot B250 XT. Most of the truckers I have talked to in person like that brand! You guys are awesome!

Headset??

Hello all! Was just curious as to which blue tooth headsets y'all recommend? I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a blue parrot headset.

Automatic Tractors.

So while at school we had several recruiters come and give their bit. Schneider and express both said they are going to switch over their entire fleet to automatics in the next few years. I don't know how I feel about that. I for one love the feeling of working the gears and the sense of control it gives. I was curious about how you guys felt about automatic transmissions in a tractor?

Finally on the road in trucking school.

Monday was the first full day with driving and backing. Today we are on the interstate and driving through the best congestion Lafayette has to offer. And then practicing backing the rest of the day. I can't wait to get my CDL -A. And hit the road!

Bummed out! Arghhh.

Signs, signs everywhere a sign
Blocking out the scenery breaking my mind
Do this don't do that
Can't you read the sign.....

I definitely sang that song as I read it!!