Profile For Navypoppop

Navypoppop's Info

Crestview, FL

Experienced Driver

2 years, 2 months ago

Navypoppop's Bio

Retired OTR driver w/ 45 years experience, approx. 3 million accident free miles now living in Crestview, Fl. Served 2 years in US Navy 1966-1968. Love staying connected with today's drivers, asking about their careers, especially reliving the old days of driving during the 1960-1970's. Very much interested in history of old truck stops- Truckstops of America, Union 76, Travel Ports of America, Pure Truck Stops, etc. Enjoy visiting T/A in Wildwood, Fl. and Petro in Reddick, Fl. with my wife just to have coffee, walk the grounds and visit with today's drivers.

My wife and I have sold our home and everything we do not need and bought a new 5th wheel and pick up and are travelling around this great country. Once again "On the road"

Posted:  3 weeks, 1 day ago

Have a chance to get a manual

Jamie, I agree with you. I am an old dog retired driver and I would take a manual any day over an automatic. I only drove an auto twice, didn't like the reaction while backing up and gave the truck back for the old manual. Just my thoughts about auto.

Posted:  3 weeks, 1 day ago

Hurricane

Latest weather forecast at 6AM has Dorian turning north and skirting the Florida coast and making landfall somewhere in South Carolina. Great news for Florida not so for South and North Carolina.

Posted:  3 weeks, 3 days ago

What Made You Decide To Become A Driver?

I started riding with my Dad when I was about 5 years old and continued off and on until I was 16 when he pulled over and told me that I'd been shotgun long enough. So I drove about 100 miles to the pick up point with empty tanker in an R model Mack with tri-plex tranny, missed a few gears, loaded the bulk tanker and scaled then drove another 100 before turning back over to my Dad. I started at his company shortly after washing the tractors on the weekends and driving around the yard. At 20 they gave me a job in state making local deliveries and pick ups. At 21 I made my first road trip from NJ to Nebraska and drove until I retired in 2014. Sure miss them though.

Posted:  3 weeks, 3 days ago

Rainy D

Sure do miss Rainy. Hope everything is going well for her. Sure do miss her wit and great advice handed out to all. It's not the same without "The Jersey Girl". She is the best.

Posted:  3 weeks, 6 days ago

TN Hwy. 127 GPS Warning (between Pikeville and Crossville, TN)

A lot of current drivers depend on a GPS to guide them on the highway. A good old Rand McNally Truckers Atlas is hard to beat for accuracy and a wealth of information. Drivers should not rely on a GPS as it can't determine size or weight of a vehicle. A short cut could be your last ride.

Posted:  4 weeks ago

I-95 south

Listen to Turtle. His directions are right on to avoid the hassles of NY to Richmond, Va. That has to be the worst area in USA and contributes to ulcers, indigestion and road rage thoughts.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Time to Say Goodbye...

Wow Rainy what a shock! You have been a major reason for reading the posts and you have always been a real solid contributor that will be missed and hard to replace. You are truly a "Jersey Girl" and my one regret is that I never got to meet you in person. My very best wishes to you in all you do. Good luck and God bless.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Rainy You're Nearby

It will happen. Thanks for the reply. Always stay safe

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Rainy You're Nearby

Rainy, I see by the GPS tracker that you are in the Knoxville, Tn. area. The wife and I are RVing in Crossville, Tn. off I-40 exit 217. Wish I had known because I would have been honored to meet you and say hello and coffee for sure. Just as long as you didn't lock me in your dungeon. Safe travels and hopefully some other time.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Friday Short Haul - Rhode Island tolls, human smuggling, contractor vs employee status

DaveW, It is always easier to just ride I-95 North or South than rather plan the detour. Considering the $7 million they raised they will not remove the tolls. When people start to realize that RI gov't will stop funneling the toll money to the bridges and highways and divert these funds to other "pet projects" maybe then they will wake up. Companies and drivers need to boycott freight in and out of RI in order to get some attention. It is so easy to by-pass I-95 through RI if drivers would plan their trips better. Hell there is even only 1 truck stop in that state, the TA at exit 5, so there is no need to be in RI. From I-95 in New Haven, Ct. north to Hartford, Ct. then I-84 north to Mass. Pike east back to I-95 at Boston, Ma. Mass Pike west to NY state will be faster and maybe wake up RI politicians.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

When Rhode Island first said that they were going to toll their highways for trucks only, I changed my routing to bypass when going into Massachusetts and further north. Their Republican governor would not listen to her own state legislators and pushed forward with her plan to make all trucks pay for the repairs on RI roads and bridges. If it had been placed on all vehicles it would be different but against the industry that makes any economy work it ridiculous and wrong. I for one will not support her economy with any of my hard earned money if I am being singled out to support her state. As I am now retired and full time RVing I still avoid RI and go around at all costs.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Parking at night?

I always used the index card system and 2 separate index card file boxes. One for customers with directions, phone numbers and information needed at their facility and another for truck stops with information on fuel, parking and restaurants and also if there were scales with parking if needed. These along with a newer Rand McNally Trucker's Atlas has saved the day many times over.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

This is why you shut down when sleepy

Tell em PackRat. Without anyone being on scene, in the truck or involved it is impossible to say what the cause was. There are so many variables and reasons that this accident happened. Always pray for the driver's well being.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Rainy

Some day Rainy, some day. Be safe.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Rainy

Hey Rainy, I also saw on the tracker that you are in the Wytheville, Va. area. My wife and I are arriving on Monday, July 1 with the 5th wheel and wish it was sooner so I could have said hello. Maybe 1 day but until then be safe and always keep that "Jersey" attitude.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Thinking of Packrat...

You will be fine. After what you've been through a road test and backing is child's play. Have at it!

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Thinking of Packrat...

We need to change the title of this section from "Thinking of Packrat" to "Welcome back and good luck Packrat". It is always good news when someone goes through a very hard, personal battle and succeeds and continues to move on to better times and a new future. Good luck to you Packrat as I wish you all the success and happiness you deserve.

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

Parkland coward during shooting

Hopefully everyone who has read and posted about this topic is done. Let's stick to the original program Brett started, TRUCKING TRUTH. No politics, religion, etc. unless trucking related. Enough said already.

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

A little update on me

You need to get off I-4 before Orlando and run State Route 417. It is a toll road but bypasses Orlando.

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Young and Confused

Welcome Danny O.,

You have come to the right place for advice. Almost anyone here especially the moderators will give you the best advice there is for a rewarding career in trucking. I would say to apply to as many companies as you find interesting for the kind of driving you want and especially the ones that offer their own schools. This way you will get the training and knowledge needed for your career and they will absorb the cost for your training in return for usually 1 year with them. An open mind and dedication to your future will take you far. Good luck.