Profile For Navypoppop

Navypoppop's Info

Crestview, FL

Experienced Driver

Navypoppop On The Web

6 years, 10 months ago

Navypoppop's Bio

Retired OTR driver w/ 44 years experience, approx. 3 million accident free miles. Served 2 years in US Navy 1966-1968. Love staying connected with today's drivers, asking about their careers, especially reliving the old days of driving during the 1960-1970's. Very much interested in history of old truck stops- Truckstops of America, Union 76, Travel Ports of America, Pure Truck Stops, etc.

My wife and I have sold our home and everything we do not need and bought a new 5th wheel and Ram 2500 in 2018 and enjoy travelling the SE USA. We currently spend 6 months in Savannah, Tn. and 6 months in Pensacola, Fl.

email- hhin170583@aol.com

my contact cell # 302-752-6409

Posted:  6 hours, 26 minutes ago

New Career

Jeffrey,

You should definitely go thru a company training program. They train and most will provide transportation, food, housing, and some offer a pay scale will in training.

If you choose to go with a private school you will pay for everything and not have a job waiting for you after you are finished with school.

Good luck and just research the available companies that are hiring and the type of job that you would like such as van, reefer, flatbed or tanker. The pay, benefits, equipment and type of operation will be different between companies but the end result will be the same.

Posted:  3 days ago

Locating members

I browse the forums every day and was wondering if anyone has heard from Anne A. or Packrat? I do not know where or how to look on TT for their contact information. I really used to enjoy reading their posts and talking with them. I also will try to remember the gentleman who was from the Lewes, De. area. I appreciate any help.

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

CDL 2025 Automatic restriction removal

Great point BK,

Another fact to consider even though not a high probability is if you were to break down or needed a rental truck but it had a manual trans you could not legally drive it. Therefore you would be sitting idle and no income. And like you said maybe a great job opportunity could arise and you would have to pass it up.

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

CDL 2025 Automatic restriction removal

I have always felt that the auto restriction was BS. When you obtain any driver license in any state to drive initially there is no auto restriction. If you pass the written and driving exams you have a license period and can drive any 4 wheeler legally. But when you want to drive a big truck they tell you that you have to have a "special" restriction placed on your license. Even though a lot of companies have gone to auto trans. you still should not have a restriction to drive a specific trans.

The standard restrictions make sense such as Haz-Mat, doubles-triples, tankers etc. as they are specialized conditions but what does an auto restriction accomplish? Glad I'm retired as I wouldn't want an auto restriction, electronic logs and all the sensors and computers controlling my driving. I did just fine for 44 years and over 3 million miles.

Posted:  3 weeks, 2 days ago

Back on the road

BK,

I will be in Savannah, Tn. which is south of I-40 and west of I-65 near Shiloh National Park. Also north of Corinth,MS.

I am about 1/2-1 hr from any of the major truck stops but with an email & heads up I will gladly meet drivers.

Posted:  3 weeks, 3 days ago

Back on the road

Thanks for your reply BK,

We started full time rving in 2018 but got sidelined by the Covid fiasco, bought a park model home here in Winter Haven, FL and traveled in the summer. My avatar picture is the Ram and 5th wheel. Not hard to notice as I "chromed it up" a little and some chicken lights.

I have met Pack Rat, Laura aka Id.Mtn Gal, Big Scott and PJ. It's always a pleasure and fun to be able to put a face to the members here on TT. If anyone is nearby where I'm at just an email with a heads up so I have time to get to the meet and greet would be my pleasure. Take care everyone.

Posted:  3 weeks, 4 days ago

Back on the road

Good afternoon drivers,

It's time for the wife and I to hit the highway once again in our 5th wheel. This time we are going back to full time rving, sold our mobile home and visit our kids more often.

Most of our summer and fall will be in the town of Savannah,Tn. and the winters will be in Pensacola, Fl.

I would like to continue the meet and greets I have enjoyed with quite a few of the drivers here on TT. I will be close enough to I-65 for the Tennessean, in Cornersville, Tn. and The Oasis on I-10 in Robertsdale, Al. Send me an email and I'll do my best to meet up with you.

Be safe drivers and have a great summer.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Massive Layoffs At UPS A Big Win For The Union!

It is incorrect in stating that all union jobs pay great. Only if your union company is paying their drivers under "The Master Freight Contract ". All union jobs will usually offer better benefits, overtime, etc.

I have worked under both the Master Freight Contract and individual company plans that were negotiated on a company to union Contract. In both cases the working conditions were always good.

All unions are not the same and drivers need to evaluate their own needs before they either agree for or against unions. My father was a very dedicated long time Teamster from the 1940s until his death and would back his beliefs. I personally belonged early in my career, layer off in mid 1970s and took a withdrawal card and re-entered in the mid 1980s when I moved to Florida until the job closed. I never again worked for Teamster job. To each his own.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Owner OPs leaving their truck running all night?

You surely won't get any complaints from the residents.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Tooting my own horn.

Congratulations! You have the right to brag about your accomplishment. Keep up the good work.

Why Join Trucking Truth?