Profile For Navypoppop

Navypoppop's Info

Winter Haven, FL

Experienced Driver

Navypoppop On The Web

3 years, 10 months ago

Navypoppop's Bio

Retired OTR driver w/ 45 years experience, approx. 3 million accident free miles now living in Winter Haven, Fl. Served 2 years in US Navy 1966-1968. Love staying connected with today's drivers, asking about their careers, especially reliving the old days of driving during the 1960-1970's. Very much interested in history of old truck stops- Truckstops of America, Union 76, Travel Ports of America, Pure Truck Stops, etc. Enjoy visiting T/A in Wildwood, Fl. and Petro in Reddick, Fl. with my wife just to have coffee, walk the grounds and visit with today's drivers.

My wife and I have sold our home and everything we do not need and bought a new 5th wheel and Ram 2500 and enjoy travelling the USA mostly the southeast states.

email- hhin170583@aol.com

my contact cell # 302-752-6409

Posted:  2 days, 10 hours ago

Has anyone ever been a yard dog?

I have been a yard hostler as a bid job for a grocery chain. It is a good position if you do not mind hussle for most of your shift. You will earn experience in backing up and communication skills because the 2 way radio never seems to go silent. I applaud you for still trying to fit in the trucking game. Just be patient, take your time, expect the normal ups and downs, good days and bad days and you should be fine. Don't lose your temper or walk away from this one or you are running out of options in trucking.

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

RVing on the road again

Old School,

Thanks for the well wishes. I haven't had to worry about a tornado warning since 1970 in Davenport, Ia. I always travel with a NOAA weather radio and keep the local codes programmed into it. You are so right about the trailer weights too. They seem to be making them so light so 1/2 ton pick- ups can do the pulling.

Ours is 38' long and 12,000#. Not a heavy weight but enough for the Ram 2500 to handle but not on the highway during a storm. We were glad to be in the Rv park and that they have a "storm shelter" building of concrete block. Better than nothing.

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

RVing on the road again

Good afternoon all drivers,

I'm just sending a message to all of you to be safe during these crazy weather days of Mid Spring season. Snow in Wyoming and woke up this morning to the weather radio blaring a tornado warning here in Crossville, Tenn. Wife and I grabbed the essentials and headed across the Rv site to the laundry/shower building which is all cement block. Better than trying to ride out a tornado in a RV. All was ok after about 1 hour and just heavy rain. Just thinking about everyone.

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

My 20 is....whats yours?

IDMtnGal,

Be careful with that nasty winter weather still wreaking havoc out there. I'm still looking forward to our meet and greet in Crossville, Tn.

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

RVing on the road again

Good morning everyone,

Arrived at Crossville, Tn. yesterday about 230PM. Glad to get back to the Rv retirement lifestyle. We'll be here for the month of May before moving on to Wytheville, Va. for June. So I'll be able to watch here for anyone that makes it to the Pilot on I-40 at exit 320 in Crossville, Tn. and would like a meet and greet. It is lovely to wake up to 50* rather than the humid 70* in Florida. Be safe everyone and thanks for letting me post my "OTR" trip.

Posted:  2 weeks ago

I swear it was there during my pre-trip

I lost a right front to a blowout in a Mack with Dayton wheels back in 1972. That was an eye opener getting stopped on the shoulder.

Posted:  2 weeks ago

I finally ran into one of "those" people

2 replies here on this one.

First for Mikey B, EXCELLENT response on that reply. He had the option of an Rv park but is too cheap to spend $50 for the right place to go. He's lucky that MSgt C didn't hand him his head in a basket.

Second for Anne A. Oh hell no! Even after being retired for 10 years I still know what a driver goes through. Besides an Rv in a truck only parking area raising a *****? You got to be kidding. No it would never be me. Love you for thinking about me.

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

RVing on the road again

Just finished setting up at rv park in Pelham, Ala. for the night. It's a so-so old KOA and needs a serious make-over but it's only 1 night. Tomorrow it's I59N to I24W to Loves @ Jasper, Tenn for a break then US127/Tn 28N to Crossville, Tn. for the month of May. The Pilot @ I40 exit 320 is just 5 miles from where we are staying if anyone can do a meet and greet that would be wonderful. I'm always eager to meet fellow drivers and say hello. Be safe ya'll.

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

RVing on the road again

Sorry Keith I never intend to drag this 5th wheel that far. Just a personal thing. My wife and I like Tenn., Ala., Virginia and the Carolinas. Thanks anyway for the invite.

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

Employer has me drive overweight

PapaBear,

Listen to the best advice you can get from these drivers on this forum. RUN don't walk away from this company! Evidently they do not care about you or anyone else just the almighty dollar. If you get caught overweight or worse have an accident I would bet that they would "hang you out to dry" , blame you and then fire you on the spot. It's not worth your license or worse your life.

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

RVing on the road again

Good morning,

Spent last night near Tallahassee, Fl. in Capps/Lamont, Fl. Fueling at the J in Midway, Fl. so I can take advantage of my 5 cent per gal. discount and then the Loves in Clanton, Al. then on to Pelham, Al. just south of Birmingham for Friday night. Sure feels real good to get back out on the road even if it is only a 5th wheel RV and not a semi. I still blink the headlights for passing trucks coming back to right lane and occassionally I'll say a few words to drivers on the CB.

Update complete for now so keep on trucking drivers and stay safe.

Posted:  2 weeks, 2 days ago

RVing on the road again

PackRat,

That's Ok by me. I never push the Ram over 60-62 when pulling the 5th wheel. I'm easy to spot because I'm the one in the right lane when everyone else is going past. I'm easy to spot with a decal on the back of the 5th wheel of a USA bald eagle over all 5 US service branch symbols. I'm looking forward to seeing as many members of TT that I can especially you PackRat. What a great group of people.

Posted:  2 weeks, 3 days ago

A big thank you to everyone who has helped me out along my journey

Zach, You gave it your best shot and it is not due to not trying. I hope you find the niche you are looking for. It takes a real "man" to admit when something is beyond his grasp. You will be able to achieve success in another field. Good luck and keep us posted.

Posted:  2 weeks, 3 days ago

RVing on the road again

Hi Laura, Sounds great! We arrive Saturday May 1and I'll be sure to watch for you. See you then.

Posted:  2 weeks, 3 days ago

RVing on the road again

Laura,

Thanks for the reply. I would love to meet up if possible. The Pilot @ exit 320 would be perfect and about 5 miles from the KOA that we stay at. I would post my cell # if I knew it wasn't against TT policy but my contact info is on my personal page. Hope to see you and safe trucking.

Posted:  2 weeks, 3 days ago

RVing on the road again

Hi Anne, We do not usually go to the Buckeye State but if we did you would most definitely be the one person I would shout out to.

Posted:  2 weeks, 3 days ago

RVing on the road again

Hi everyone,

Finally my wife and I are going back out on the road in our 5th wheel after a long Covid "layover" in our winter home in Floida. I would love to meet any and all fellow TT people who I have had the pleasure of talking with here on the forum. We usually spend a month at each Rv park we travel to and I would love to have a coffee and say hello.

I'll update our locations as we go and the first one is in May in Crossville, Tn. near the Pilot Travel Center on I-40. I hope to see a few of you fellow drivers so either contact me here on TT on send an email and I'll see you there. Thanks everyone and have a safe trip wherever you travel.

Posted:  3 weeks, 2 days ago

A CFI update 2021

BigScott,

Great post on updating what is happening at CFI. You are a true ambassador for the company. It is very refreshing to see someone that applaudes a company rather than tear it apart. My son drove for CFI as a "newbie" for about a year before being re-activated back to active duty in USNavy and he felt that it was top notch.

I have always felt that if I were to come out of retirement after 45 years OTR I would want to apply to CFI and request a trainer like yourself. Stay safe and keep on reporting on CFI updates.

Posted:  3 weeks, 6 days ago

Wrapped it up

Mr. Curmudgeon,

You are surely going to be missed here on TT but please don't assume that you cannot offer very constructive advice to anyone who seeks your knowledge. You have been as honest and sincere a mentor that anyone seeking a good answer could want. It takes a really smart person to know when to hang up the keys before it's too late. Good luck to you and yours and please don't be a stranger.

Posted:  4 weeks ago

Just out of curiosity how many million miles are on here?

I did over 3 million in my 45 year career. It goes by quickly when you're having fun. I have heard od drivers doing 5 million and that is an accomplishment.