Profile For Navypoppop

Navypoppop's Info

Crestview, FL

Experienced Driver

2 years, 4 months ago

Navypoppop's Bio

Retired OTR driver w/ 45 years experience, approx. 3 million accident free miles now living in Crestview, Fl. Served 2 years in US Navy 1966-1968. Love staying connected with today's drivers, asking about their careers, especially reliving the old days of driving during the 1960-1970's. Very much interested in history of old truck stops- Truckstops of America, Union 76, Travel Ports of America, Pure Truck Stops, etc. Enjoy visiting T/A in Wildwood, Fl. and Petro in Reddick, Fl. with my wife just to have coffee, walk the grounds and visit with today's drivers.

My wife and I have sold our home and everything we do not need and bought a new 5th wheel and pick up and are travelling around this great country. Once again "On the road"

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

A Thank You, And A Promise To Our Community

Errol,

I to am a retired driver after 45 years. We might not be actively on the road but our experiences are what helps new drivers and even experienced ones answer many of their own questions. It also is very entertaining and rewarding to read about every up and down that your experience has been to anyone who seeks it out. Without TT many drivers might give up or never enter the industry. Always a huge thanks to Brett and all the moderators and contributors to this great forum.

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

Do you Vape?

Everyone of course has the right to smoke or vape. NEVER start any of it to start with! I took the plunge at 16 because my cousin was already smoking and tempted me to do it and my Dad also smoked for his entire life from about the age of 10 to 60. I did and smoked for 25 years and non-filtered Pall Mall to boot. Always the excuse of, "I only smoke a pack a day". I quit cold turkey after the wife and kids begged me to. It was hard but what a difference it made to breathing, the taste of food and the way your own mouth tasted.

Even if they were $20 a pack people will still smoke cigarettes or vape or even smoke dope. It takes the will power and a strong desire to rid yourself of these poisons. The air is bad enough to breathe into your lungs let alone anything else. Down the road you might have to deal with cancer or many other lung diseases.

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

A Thank You, And A Promise To Our Community

Brett,

Many thanks are extended to you for your admitting some flaws. No one is perfect but TT has always been the best source for information for new and experienced drivers to search for answers. You and all the moderators are usually right on even if one sided sometimes and not open to all opinions. I have learned to accept when I am not always considered correct but none of us are. Bottom line is TT is and always will be the best source for all information on trucking.

And Kearsey, you are really missed. I got so used to seeing you here almost daily but know that you are fine and doing well. Only a Jersey girl could be as strong as you are. Keep trucking strong.

Posted:  2 weeks, 6 days ago

Question should I train on manuals or automatics

Errol,

Before the auto trans. starting showing up all drivers had to learn the job and the manual shifting and we all survived for the most part. I just feel that without the auto only on your license you are able to handle either but with it you are trapped or have to cough up extra money and time to have it removed. Maybe everyone who obtains any driver license including 4 wheelers should have the same restriction? Just a thought.

Rob T.,

My point exactly. It was a possibility that the company could have just sent him home because he wasn't qualified to drive the equipment available. It also could affect your earning between daytime locals or OTR job assignments.

Packrat, You are always so right on the subject.

Posted:  3 weeks ago

Question should I train on manuals or automatics

I too vote for manual. Even if the industry goes auto you do not need any restrictions on your license. Imagine if your truck broke down and a rental was issued that had a manual transmission. You would not be qualified to drive it because of the restriction. Thus you could lose pay and valuable time over that restriction. I am glad that I never had that auto only on my license.

Posted:  3 weeks, 6 days ago

A question for you old timers...

Sean, Being an old timer from the 60's-80's, most flatbeds were regular tandems. There were the "Canadian" spread tandems and yes a few but very few spread axle tandems. I would go with a regular tandem for authenticity.

sean,

Posted:  3 weeks, 6 days ago

I have a few questions about becoming and being a trucker

Jefferson, I'll try to answer your questions: 1- All 3 are very good companies. Your choice. 2- Every company has different pet policies that include breed and size restrictions. 3- If you pass a DOT physical you are usually OK. Each company might be different. 4- Most are now auto shift so don't worry. 5- Companies pay fuel, you pay for showers or use credits from fuel companies. 6- Anything that is healthy with good shelf life. 7- Lock doors, take keys with you, bungy cord inside door handles if sleeping. 8- Company pays unless you are leasing truck. 9- Unless you have sleep issues you'll sleep like a baby after a long day's work. 10- If a sleeper truck yes but not all companies allow these in their trucks. 11- It varies as does mileage depending on freight volume . 12- Some companies allow it, others don't. If so find a local secure area to park when home. 13- Most are fairly clean but some are nasty. 14- Companies almost always pay tolls. I'm sure there might be some that don't. 15- Verizon and ATT are usually the best for coverage areas and signal strength. 16- Yes. You can have Dish or Direct TV just like an RV if you want to pay for their services. Most areas of the country should have enough of a local tv station strength for you to get some tv. I hope this helps you. PHEW I'm exhausted. Good luck.

Posted:  4 weeks ago

Looking for advice as I start my driver training in a few days

Marie, Take a deep breath, breath slowly and you'll be fine. Think of this as the beginning of your wonderful dream of teaming with your hubby. You are feeling like everyone else has but don't beat yourself up over it. You are excited like a little kid at the morning of Christmas waiting to see what Santa brought him or her. Keep us posted as to your progress. You will ace this and be on your way to a great new chapter in you life.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Finally change my status to experienced driver

JYD,

After 44 years and almost 3 million miles I guess you could say that I was experienced. It might be true to a degree but you also can become over confident and still make mistakes. You always have to be aware of your surroundings, what is going on down the road, making deliveries and pick ups, watching the clock for HOS compliance. Times change, rules change, and you must be aware and alert to succeed.

You are well on your way to achieving great success in your career. I congratulate you on your success and the best of luck in a bright future. Stay focused and enjoy a great career choice.

H

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

New driver

Kristin, I do not think that you will find a company out there that will allow you to take your child while in training. Do you have a family member or close friend to help you out while training? If you have already found some companies that will allow you to take your 7 year old with you after training I would really be serious to find someone to help you so you can pursue your dream and career. Good luck to you and hopefully all will be OK.

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Have a chance to get a manual

Jamie, I agree with you. I am an old dog retired driver and I would take a manual any day over an automatic. I only drove an auto twice, didn't like the reaction while backing up and gave the truck back for the old manual. Just my thoughts about auto.

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Hurricane

Latest weather forecast at 6AM has Dorian turning north and skirting the Florida coast and making landfall somewhere in South Carolina. Great news for Florida not so for South and North Carolina.

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

What Made You Decide To Become A Driver?

I started riding with my Dad when I was about 5 years old and continued off and on until I was 16 when he pulled over and told me that I'd been shotgun long enough. So I drove about 100 miles to the pick up point with empty tanker in an R model Mack with tri-plex tranny, missed a few gears, loaded the bulk tanker and scaled then drove another 100 before turning back over to my Dad. I started at his company shortly after washing the tractors on the weekends and driving around the yard. At 20 they gave me a job in state making local deliveries and pick ups. At 21 I made my first road trip from NJ to Nebraska and drove until I retired in 2014. Sure miss them though.

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Rainy D

Sure do miss Rainy. Hope everything is going well for her. Sure do miss her wit and great advice handed out to all. It's not the same without "The Jersey Girl". She is the best.

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

TN Hwy. 127 GPS Warning (between Pikeville and Crossville, TN)

A lot of current drivers depend on a GPS to guide them on the highway. A good old Rand McNally Truckers Atlas is hard to beat for accuracy and a wealth of information. Drivers should not rely on a GPS as it can't determine size or weight of a vehicle. A short cut could be your last ride.

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

I-95 south

Listen to Turtle. His directions are right on to avoid the hassles of NY to Richmond, Va. That has to be the worst area in USA and contributes to ulcers, indigestion and road rage thoughts.

Posted:  3 months ago

Time to Say Goodbye...

Wow Rainy what a shock! You have been a major reason for reading the posts and you have always been a real solid contributor that will be missed and hard to replace. You are truly a "Jersey Girl" and my one regret is that I never got to meet you in person. My very best wishes to you in all you do. Good luck and God bless.

Posted:  3 months ago

Rainy You're Nearby

It will happen. Thanks for the reply. Always stay safe

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Rainy You're Nearby

Rainy, I see by the GPS tracker that you are in the Knoxville, Tn. area. The wife and I are RVing in Crossville, Tn. off I-40 exit 217. Wish I had known because I would have been honored to meet you and say hello and coffee for sure. Just as long as you didn't lock me in your dungeon. Safe travels and hopefully some other time.

Posted:  4 months ago

Friday Short Haul - Rhode Island tolls, human smuggling, contractor vs employee status

DaveW, It is always easier to just ride I-95 North or South than rather plan the detour. Considering the $7 million they raised they will not remove the tolls. When people start to realize that RI gov't will stop funneling the toll money to the bridges and highways and divert these funds to other "pet projects" maybe then they will wake up. Companies and drivers need to boycott freight in and out of RI in order to get some attention. It is so easy to by-pass I-95 through RI if drivers would plan their trips better. Hell there is even only 1 truck stop in that state, the TA at exit 5, so there is no need to be in RI. From I-95 in New Haven, Ct. north to Hartford, Ct. then I-84 north to Mass. Pike east back to I-95 at Boston, Ma. Mass Pike west to NY state will be faster and maybe wake up RI politicians.