Comments By Navypoppop

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0329530001623450894-73542.jpg avatar
  • Navypoppop
  • Comments:

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

ABF Freight Driver Development Program

I have to correct myself on my previous post. I stated OD and should have said ABF. I need to wake up before I post. Sorry everyone

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

ABF Freight Driver Development Program

Glad to see OD training in manual transmissions. The idea of not having the restriction on your CDL and the fact that you might have to use a truck with the manual transmission has always been my point and I have been told to "get over it". Way to go OD

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Meet and greet

Very true Bruce as it always is when costs rise. Some companies will not be able to absorb or pass along these costs and they will fold. At least if I do not want to pay these prices I can leave the 5th wheel parked in the storage area of our retirement community. We'll see how it goes.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

First road rage encounter..

TwoSides11 has made a very honest and humble posting of his experience in a bad situation. He reached out to the TT members for advice and got the best answers to avoid this from happening again. I feel that he has and will learn from this and utilize the advice given here from the best the trucking industry has to offer. Stay focused TwoSides11 and use the advice given here and you will have become a much better driver. Good luck.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

My diary about joining JS Helwig

Many years ago when I pulled reefers the company I worked for had Carrier units. I found back then that the Carrier units did really well for produce loads in the 35*-45* range but I preferred the TK units for frozen loads such as ice cream etc. when you had to be closer to 0*. Just my personal observations.

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Meet and greet

Well if the fuel situation keeps escalating it is surely going to affect my summer rving plans. Most places that we are travelling to have gone beyond $4 a gal. and will probably approach $5 a gal before we plan on leaving May 1. We have considered cutting our trip short by 2 months and totally eliminating the Western Tennessee, Mississippi and Florida Panhandle portion. My neighbor has offered to buy my 5th wheel and it is very tempting to sell it now but I am reluctant to do so. I don't know how trucking companies are handling the cost of diesel either. This really sucks.

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Meet and greet

Thanks for the reply Anne. Meeting you and Tom would be an honor that I didn't plan on being as you are up in the Buckeye. I'll be sure to let you know how the trip is going to go. We leave on April 30 and spend 1 night near Tallahassee and then on to Gulf Shores, Al. for the month of May. I was in 1966-68, my daughter was Navy and my son was too at the same time in boot camp. She damaged her knee and was out early and my son is still in, 18.5 years Senior Chief. Proud papa for sure. My son-in-law is retired 20 year Army Blackhawk pilot too. Have a good night.

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Meet and greet

It has been a long, warm and boring winter season for me in Central Florida. If anyone is stopping over in the area I would really like a meet and greet at one of the local truck stops. I have had the pleasure of meeting up with some of the best: Pack Rat met up in Crossville, Tn., IDMtnGal (Laura) met in Max Meadows, Va. and Big Scott took the time in Max Meadows, Va. also. I missed out on meeting up with Old School when he was in Lakeland, Fl. and currently hoping for his return.

If any of you have a layover or break time I would like to say hello and talk with you as retirement is really boring until the wife and I hit the road in May and return in November otherwise I always look on the GPS section for someone in the area we are travelling. The Pilot in Haines City, Fl. on Hwy 27, the Loves in Lake Wales, Fl. and the Pilot in Bartow, Fl. are less than 1/2 hour from us in Winter Haven, Fl. and if you have to stop there I would appreciate the meet and buy you lunch. Let me know and my email is hhin170583@aol.com and I'll ride over. Thanks drivers and be safe, healthy and productive.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Recent Accident

2 lanes and 2 car lengths would be sufficient for dry road conditions not on icy highway. Insurance will probably indicate too fast and too close for poor road conditions. Sorry but you might have to own up to your own mistake.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Now that the Soviets have invaded Ukraine...

Putin is a former KGB agent who lives mentally in the past and longs for the glory of domination. He always was and still is a threat to the world. He seems like a modern day Adolf Hitler and needs to be stopped before we experience WWIII. He wants all the former USSR satellite countries back under Russian control and will not let anything deter him. He is dangerous and one false move on a NATO country will bring the USA and our allies into a war that no one wants or needs. I feel he will attack our basic needs such as utilities, cyber space, etc. God help the world with this tyrant out of control.

Posted:  2 months, 4 weeks ago

AC at truck stops

They were called "Idle Aire" and very convenient back when a lot of states were enforcing the no idle laws. The idea was great but never really took off nationwide. You would buy a window adapter to fit your particular model truck, install it in passenger door window, they would hook up hose with the control panel and presto you had ac, heat and tv for around $10 a night when I used them. Problems were drivers parking in the spots without their service and hardly any cleaning of the system which resulted in very unclean and unhealthy air entering the cab. If you changed truck brands you could exchange you window adapter for the proper one.

Posted:  3 months ago

Food at truck stops

I'll have to agree on The Tennessean truck stop in Cornersville, Tn. off I-65 exit 22. By far one of the nicest Mom & Pop stops still available. The Creek Travel Plaza off I-65 exit 54 is another good Mom & Pop stop. 1950's themed restaurant.

Posted:  3 months ago

Can't stop thinking about driving

Tammy,

You have posted about being hooked on substances and have not accepted the fact that you are hooked. Until you get clean of these there is no way that you should be considering a career behind the wheel of a truck. There are too many reasons that it is a dangerous and illegal for you to try and drive to yourself and the entire general population. You should be taking the advice of all the posters here and get clean and stay clean before you injure or kill yourself or others. Sure it's hard but not if you want to be able to succeed in life. Good luck

Posted:  3 months ago

A Week In The Life Of A Flatbed Driver

Glenbob,

Just wanted to say that I love your avatar photo! I have that decal on the rear of my 5th wheel for all to see. Mine is a dedication to my brother-in-law who gave all in Vietnam May 1968.

Posted:  3 months ago

Are You In The Ditch?

While looking at TwoSides11 photos the second one shows a lot of water in the shoulder on the right by the stop sign. Not knowing how deep that "puddle" is would make someone want to swing wide just in case the trailer went into a deep hole on the right and an electrical pole is very close to the sign. He is a man of character to tell his story but surely has handled it in a good way and learned from his mistakes.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Pulled my last DG load

PapaPig,

You gotta beat that rona thing. You can't let it keep you down because we need you up and healthy here on TT. Good luck.

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

GPS Tracker

Thanks for the help Rob T. I really wasn't aware of the simple fix as I usually do not use the "allow to track" option. I'll give it a try.

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

GPS Tracker

Kearsey,

I realized since I arrived home for the winter around Oct i until now even though I am here every day and sometimes twice a day after about 5-6 days I have to re-enter my location. When I'm traveling in the Rv I don't see this issue. Oh well I'll just keep re-entering my location unless Brett can tell me what to do.

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

GPS Tracker

It sure gets annoying to have to constantly update your location on the GPS Tracker section here on TT. I'm sure we have discussed this before here on the forum but if you do not change your location why does it have to disappear from the screen and have to be re-entered every 5-6 days? I spend the 6 months from November to May in Florida and have to constantly update my location even though it doesn't change. It's just annoying.

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

I Think We Can Do Better. Who's Up To The Challenge?

Real Diehl,

What a great way to express the true goal of TT. Most responses here on TT have been professional, helpful and based on experience. Often some replies are very critical and degrading to the ops that are seeking advice. Also we should stick to the basis of TT and that is to offer help and advice to those needing guidance in the trucking industry and not offer personal opinions on items like politics which can cause quite a stir among members.