Comments By Navypoppop

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/peterbuilt-sunset.jpg avatar
  • Navypoppop
  • 1 year, 9 months ago
  • Comments:

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Growing Pains on the road with WEL

I can relate to RedGator in a lot of ways with WEL. A few years ago I made an application to WEL, spoke numerous times to a recruiter and was told so many things that turned out to be untrue. I was going to be regional Mid-Atlantic out of Allentown, Pa. I was told Mid-Atlantic area only out of Allentown, Pa. Take truck home and home every week. Flew to Wisconsin for orientation, company person who was picking up drivers at airport was 3 hours late, took us to breakfast and then to terminal. Showed us the used trucks we would be assigned after we were told nothing older than 2 years which wasn't true and no new mattress for anyone. We were told so many lies that were not what we were promised when talking to recruiter that when questioned we were told to "suck it up". I went back to motel that evening and booked a flight home and told the recruiter if this is how WEL treated new prospects they could count me out as I wasn't going to accept this treatment in the beginning as it would probably get worse.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Bait and Switch?

It depends on how much you like working for this company. If they are paying you by the hour it would seem like any and all your required duties are being compensated. If you are paid by the load or the mile then basically you are working for free. Size up the total outlook on this job before making a drastic decision that could cause you to look for another job.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Delaware, Maryland police target truckers bypassing U.S. 301 toll road

Update to my reply, I googled the US Hwy 301 in Delaware and found my answer. Delaware began tolling US Hwy 301 from the Maryland state line to De. 1 on Jan. 19, 2019. From what I could see the toll is pretty steep as this stretch is about 12 miles and the toll is about $1.00 per mile for semi. I might be wrong on the amount but I travel this way in my 5th wheel when going into NJ and now it is expensive. They'll call it an improvement for the sake of making truck drivers pay for any and everything.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Delaware, Maryland police target truckers bypassing U.S. 301 toll road

Hey Marc Lee, What is this US 301 toll road? I haven't been that way in years but 301 was my route of choice from Rt. 896 at exit 1 of Del. Tpk. south to Rte. 207 through Ft. AP Hill onto I-95 just above Doswell, Va. If it's now a toll road in Del. it would be great to know. I thank you for any updates.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Funny Pic of Team Trainer while student driving

Damn Rainy, Did you have destroy him that much! I guess it is harder than everyone says about your training. That's what he deserved for doubting the "Jersey Girl". Safe travels.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Troopers force truckers to climb on top of trailers during snow removal enforcement blitz.

Everyone is talking van or reefers for snow removal but how about flatbeds? Some of these are loaded with unusual shapes, tarped and untarped, low loads and some right up to 13'6". Any trailer or vehicle is supposed to be free of snow or ice including 4 wheelers but the attention is always drawn towards the trucks. How many times do you see a 4 wheeler with only the windshield cleared where the wipers did the job? Roof scrapers only work for fixed height trailers like vans and reefers so how do you keep flatbeds or tankers clear? Maybe high speed wind blowers like a drive through car wash. There are probably no feasible answers.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

I agree with Rainy. If the states or the Feds want to keep 13'6" trailers clean of snow and ice they could very easily install the flexible blades at rest areas entering the truck parking areas. It is more conceivable to do that off the highway and to prevent serious injuries or deaths to drivers falling from their trucks trying to clean them. I'm sure most drivers out here have experienced snow or ice falling off their roofs but I for one will not go up there to clean it off.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

VA Slow Roll Sat. 3/2: I-95 Doswell Truck Stop to Downtown Richmond at 11 a.m.

Because we live in USA I suppose they have the right to protest. A slow roll, if they are driving the minimum speed for the interstate highway is maintained, I would think they would be OK. The point is there have been so many protests, strikes and just every other word for frustrations with anything related to the industry. Way back in the 70's the Independent drivers were shutting down and blocking the interstate highways because of fuel shortages and high fuel costs. Then the Teamster drivers staged a nationwide strike and took out their frustrations on any driver who wasn't a Teamster and was still driving.

I have been affected by both and have been on both sides and it still doesn't prove a thing. Fuel is still high, states will not leave trucking alone either because the industry is like a cash cow and the Feds are not sitting by and not making life any easier. It seems like there will always be a shortage of parking spaces, shortage of drivers, autonomous trucks are probably coming in the future so it will never end. There will be something for someone to protest about. Good luck.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Bad First Day Back

Pack Rat, I love your Avatar. Nothing like a good old B Mack.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

AMT asking for double trailer length increase from 28' - 33'

Double 33' pups will be disaster for sure. The extra 10' of overall length will surely cause more issues than problems solved. I drove for CSE [before they were XPO] for 14 years and the 28' pups were enough. Just like the 53' trailers from 48' cause a lot of problems like too long to fit into most truck stop parking spaces. Most of the time you can't load out a 53' unless it is light weight freight and the overhang behind the rear axles causes a problem with swing. There will be no gain in the amount of trucks on the road or any more places to park. A bad idea all around.

Posted:  2 months ago

Going out OTR soon

Rainy, I bet you couldn't be mean if you tried. Just a very effective trainer. When I was driving for Conway Southern Express as a driver/trainer I too would take every future prospect to a truck stop or warehouse setting to practice backing, go over all paperwork and procedures and I even bought them lunch their first day out. Then like you it was all on them to learn and proceed because there are no baby sitters.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Future Phoenix Oasis

Hey Pack Rat,

Unless you recently won the huge Power Ball jackpot you most likely will never have enough money to build that "dream truck stop". To start with I would be willing to bet that there isn't any town in the USA that wants such a giant gathering place for truckers. Imagine the size of this giant, maybe 2 or 3 times what IOWA 80 is? I would go there forever so "have at it". Try visiting Iowa 80 and every other huge truck stop to get ideas and talk with the owners to see if you pockets are deep enough. Good luck with your dream.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

CB communication for slip seating?

Don,

I had the same problem when I worked at Conway years ago and I went with either a good magnetic mount if you have a steel cab or the vise grip antenna mount. Both are quick to connect and remove too. Wilson seems to make the best antennas in my opinion. Good luck with the pigs because unless the company addresses the problem you'll have to live with it.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Rain, Hail, Sleet or Snow!

Hi Don,

Good to hear from you here on TT. Sorry about all the bad weather but of course Ohio does lie in some of the worse "snow belts" across the country. The more you deal with bad weather driving the better you will be overall. Another reason why I decided years ago to move to Florida and enjoy the better weather and be able to drive in Southeastern Regional routes. Always be safe Don and keep in touch as I have enjoyed your posts here on TT.

Posted:  3 months ago

Decided to shutdown

I wish I was honored to meet "The Jersey Girl" standing in line. I probably would be to tongue tied to speak. If you are ever going through the Petro in Red****, Fl. or the Love's or 2 Pilot's in Ocala, Fl. send me an email Rainy. I would be honored to say hello to one of the finest here on TT.

Posted:  3 months ago

New food tanker driver

Pete B,

Those are some of the best words of advice on this subject. You have shown your expertise and knowledge on the hazards of liquid tanker driving. I know that your reply will go a long way to helping many drivers thinking of going into tankers to take your experience to heart and learn some great information. Great post.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

New food tanker driver

TheSchmeltz, You have indicated to everyone here that you have limited experience on semi trucks. You will have to prepare yourself for a whole new world with the food grade tanker job. Be very cautious with the specifics of hauling food grade tankers such as front to rear slosh and side to side movement of liquids which makes roll overs more of an issue. If you use common sense, patience and good driving skills time will help you in your new career. I'm sure most everyone here on TT will chime in about the difficult choice of going into tanker so early in your career. Just be sure it is what you want and learn everything you can about the specific conditions tanker will present to you. Always remember not to be in a big hurry and just relax and be safe.

I myself did not like liquid tanker but really enjoyed dry bulk a lot more. They were totally different worlds. Good luck.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Decided to shutdown

Stephanie K,

You showed great wisdom in following your gut instinct. At the very least you are safe, warm and not trying to figure out how to get out of a serious incident that was very possible to have happened. You might have left and found yourself in a horrible situation and all your 18 wheels going in every direction except forward. You can always reschedule a delivery or pick up time but not a new life. Good call and stay safe.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Fired for accident and not sure what to do.

Thanks Brett, It is very refreshing to see you lay it straight out to this driver for not accepting the blame for his actions. Evidently he does not and will understand that it was his fault and no one else's. If he is unwilling to accept his mistake and move on and maybe become a better driver it is obvious that he will never make it in this industry. I also want to express Kudo's to every moderator and person who tried to make this driver understand his error without his accepting his responsibility. Great job to all.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Many drivers like to use an old-fashioned road atlas.....and the telephone....but...

We can only hope that Brett will review every post Todd has made and the fact that he surely must be a troll because no matter what question he asks or how many responses he receives he continues to ask and never takes any advice. He needs to be banned for life.