Comments By Navypoppop

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/peterbuilt-sunset.jpg avatar
  • Navypoppop
  • 1 year, 11 months ago
  • Comments:

Posted:  2 months ago

YRC's long-haul unit and 2 key regional units could go out of business if unionized workers vote down a tent. CBA

Hey GTown, Good point you made about TL and not LTL. I posted my reply without understanding or knowing that. I appreciate the update and clarification. You are the Man.

Posted:  2 months ago

Watch your wagon... G-town

As a reminder to anyone who follows TT for advice there isn't anyone who contributes more to drivers than G Town. Some might not always agree with him but his advice is always right on. I'm sure that some who read the forums do not agree with G Town but he will never steer you wrong.

Posted:  2 months ago

It seems like another of the "Big Great Freight Companies" is about to be eliminated. It was just a matter of time. When CF disappeared Conway grew by leaps and bounds until it was consumed by a foreign giant XPO. Overnite got taken over to benefit UPS's entry into the freight business. As stated previously you can work for Old Dominion or Southeast and make as much or more than a union company. I am retired but still have my withdrawal card from when the union jobs were everywhere. The great Teamsters is only a shell from what it was.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

I'm Back From My Trip

Welcome back O brave mountain climber. Hope you had a wonderful trip. Better you than me.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

New here and need help...

JK, I'm sorry for you if you failed a test and were innocent of the charges. At this point you have to re-group and hit the ground running. In a city the size of Fort Worth there has to be quite a few local companies that are in need of drivers and have a lenient hiring process. It might not be the job of your dreams but you will have to start again somewhere. Take all of your screenings and paperwork from the counselor and show it to any prospective employer and hopefully you will get an interview. Start early in the morning and cover every street and area and all types of operations that could be the beginning of your new opportunity. Good luck to you and be sure to have learned from any mistakes that could have been on you. Keep us informed.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Overnight parking at rest stops in PA

PackRat,

I can't say it is still being done but as I stated it was years ago. It made me stop using Va rest areas and just go to the truck stops. I did not need any more problems than normal.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Overnight parking at rest stops in PA

Years ago Va State Troopers would enter a rest area and place a chalk mark of the left front tire of every truck in that particular rest area. They would return 1 hour later and repeat the process. When they returned 1 hour later any truck with 2 chalk marks was woke up and told to move on or receive a ticket. I don't know if it is still done today or not.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Screen names

Hi Bruce,

I started my career with Piney for the NJ Pinelands area then switched to NJ Runaway when I moved to Florida and finally to Navypoppop for my stint in Navy and becoming a grandfather. I might have to find another as I am now retired and driving a 5th wheel RV.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Ok CB poll

I always had Cobra CB radios as they worked well and were not too expensive to buy. I started with a Cobra 25, moved up to Cobra 29 with weather and on to my Cobra 148GTL. Every one was peaked and tuned and like everyone has stated it is well worth the minimal cost to have maximum performance. Also a good antenna or set of antennas that are tuned to the radio is a plus.

I recommend them for the alerts for bad weather, accidents or police activity that only a CB can provide you when a situation arises. If the chatter or obnoxious talk is happening you can turn it off or turn down the squelch so it is not annoying. Good luck.

Posted:  2 months, 4 weeks ago

Move over for ALL stopped vehicles

As stated, everyone should move over 1 lane if safe for any vehicle on the breakdown lane [shoulder] or reduce their speed. All states should modify their laws to reflect this as any life is worth saving and it could just be an open door causing another horrific accident.

Posted:  2 months, 4 weeks ago

Grabbing wrong trailer?

I agree with Old School. Always check the trailer numbers and if possible check the freight. If you are pulling a sealed trailer like a reefer or dry van it isn't always possible to do this so verify the seal numbers. If you do everything correct on your part that is the best that can be expected.

Posted:  3 months ago

Regrets

Kim,

Take the time to check every option that you might have available. Your heart is telling you to keep trucking so if you explore all job variations you should be able to find one that suits your needs. I too did not like being out on the road for weeks at a time and missed my family too much so the regional opportunities were the answer. Some jobs offer every other night home or out for 2-4 and home for 3. Take your "gut" feeling and be sure which avenue you need to go down to make yourself happy and satisfied or you will regret it later. Good luck.

Posted:  3 months ago

Testing out to go solo

Another success story . Great job Grumpy Old Man. Now get out there and give it all got. Be safe and good luck.

Posted:  3 months ago

Question about working for my father...

If you really want this as a career listen to everyone who has posted. Your experience should be from a major company that will provide you the training and beginners "stumbling blocks" so to say that will give you the confidence and training needed to succeed. At least if something goes wrong with your plan you did not disappoint your father, he did not buy a truck that he did not need and you will not be mad at each other. Good luck to you and keep us posted on your decision and what you finally do.

Posted:  3 months ago

To be blunt- bras vs concrete highways...

Rainy, You are the best at telling it like it is. Truthful, simple and hilarious. You surely are "The Jersey Girl". Always enjoy your posts.

Posted:  3 months ago

Hourly Pay vs Mileage Pay

Everyone can't be OTR drivers. Someone has to make the local deliveries. Conditions on the home front may warrant how and what you do for a living. Not everyone wants or can be gone for longer periods of time. I worked for Conway Southern Express [now XPO ] for 14 years and was able to change from local P&D to linehaul each year when the runs were up for bid. It helped with being able to drive for 10 hours a night then home and working 10-12 hours per day delivering freight. The local work was more physically demanding and hectic at times but kept you more mentally alert to your traffic and surroundings whereas the linehaul runs afforded you the longer driving times with just a drop and hook on either end of your run thus satisfying the urge to be on the road. The local work paid hourly and linehaul was by the mile plus hourly for drop and hooks and you made more on linehaul. I think if you ask a driver that is working for OD, SEFL, XPO or most freight companies they would say that they are satisfied and that is why they are working for freight companies. The same would be true for drivers from any of the longhaul companies but for the reasons of "seeing this great country" or the thrill of the open road.

Either way we need both mentalities to make this happen for our country and ourselves. Just like the differences between van, reefer, tanker or doubles we need to drive what we prefer to be sure that this all gets done. I believe too that any driver should experience the different types of operations and equipment available at least once in their lifetime. Just my 2 cents.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Growing Pains on the road with WEL

Easy Brett, No one is perfect and my reply was only to a situation similar to a negative that RedGator brought up. My experience with WEL was the one and only experience that I had happen to me during my 44 years behind the wheel and came after a layoff and no work to be found where I was living. I am sure that I did not pay attention to everything that was promised to me during the recruitment session and again after I arrived at their terminal and began asking questions. I never said new truck but just new mattress as I wouldn't want to sleep on someone else's area. My feelings at the time were if I was not told the truth in the beginning could it get worse? Personal feeling at the time Brett not necessarily the entire picture. And no I did not expect or say that I was expecting "lavish" gifts just do what you recruited a prospective new driver during your conversation with him as you represent the company. Please do not judge one posting as an overall conclusion of someone's true being. I do not judge you by your postings even if they are not in line with my feelings or perspectives but because you are an intelligent and experienced person. Thanks.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Growing Pains on the road with WEL

I can relate to RedGator in a lot of ways with WEL. A few years ago I made an application to WEL, spoke numerous times to a recruiter and was told so many things that turned out to be untrue. I was going to be regional Mid-Atlantic out of Allentown, Pa. I was told Mid-Atlantic area only out of Allentown, Pa. Take truck home and home every week. Flew to Wisconsin for orientation, company person who was picking up drivers at airport was 3 hours late, took us to breakfast and then to terminal. Showed us the used trucks we would be assigned after we were told nothing older than 2 years which wasn't true and no new mattress for anyone. We were told so many lies that were not what we were promised when talking to recruiter that when questioned we were told to "suck it up". I went back to motel that evening and booked a flight home and told the recruiter if this is how WEL treated new prospects they could count me out as I wasn't going to accept this treatment in the beginning as it would probably get worse.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Bait and Switch?

It depends on how much you like working for this company. If they are paying you by the hour it would seem like any and all your required duties are being compensated. If you are paid by the load or the mile then basically you are working for free. Size up the total outlook on this job before making a drastic decision that could cause you to look for another job.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Delaware, Maryland police target truckers bypassing U.S. 301 toll road

Update to my reply, I googled the US Hwy 301 in Delaware and found my answer. Delaware began tolling US Hwy 301 from the Maryland state line to De. 1 on Jan. 19, 2019. From what I could see the toll is pretty steep as this stretch is about 12 miles and the toll is about $1.00 per mile for semi. I might be wrong on the amount but I travel this way in my 5th wheel when going into NJ and now it is expensive. They'll call it an improvement for the sake of making truck drivers pay for any and everything.