Comments By Navypoppop

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/peterbuilt-sunset.jpg avatar
  • Navypoppop
  • Comments:

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Have A Wonderful Memorial Day Weekend!

Just a quick wish to everyone here on TT either a "noob", experienced driver, retired driver or moderator. Everyone please have a safe and wonderful Memorial Day holiday and hopefully most of us will be home with friendly and friends. If not be safe and careful and watch out for the "4 wheelers". Remember the true meaning of the holiday as I honor my brother-in-law for the ultimate sacrifice in Vietnam, my 2 children who currently are serving and everyone like myself who has given of himself to this great nation. I honor each and every one of you.

Posted:  4 months ago

Should I quit my 9-5 & pursue a TD career

Cappy,

Congrats on your completing CDL school and learning how drive a semi. Also it is a compliment to you for securing the office job based on your merits. The issue at hand is you do not seem ready or committed to becoming a truck driver. I'm sure everyone has had second thoughts about this choice of a career in the beginning but they went for it. Any job change might bring challenges and pay adjustments but if it is in your heart just go for it. The longer you hesitate or doubt it the harder it will become to do it. Good luck and go with your gut feeling.

Posted:  4 months ago

Question for florida natives or knowledgable

Being from Ocala, Fl I always take 301 north because of being a lot safer than I-75. There are constantly numerous back ups and accidents on I-75. To each his own but 301 is more enjoyable. Like Turtle said be cautious in Waldo, Starke and Lawtey as they are speed trap towns. Always look at the speed limit signs when approaching any town. If there is a plain yellow rectangular sign above the speed limit sign-equals speed trap town. PS- there is construction going on around Starke as they are constructing a by-pass.

Posted:  4 months ago

Susan D

Hey Bobcat Bob,

Regardless of the color I think your Dad did great by going to OD from Conway. At my 14 years with Conway I was at the Orlando, Fl. terminal as a Driver Trainer but it sure has changed for the worse since I retired from Conway in 2004. OD is a class act bar none.

Posted:  4 months ago

Susan D

Color co-ordination wasn't in the plans years ago when Conway [ now XPO ] was 5 individual freight companies when they started to interchange with each other. Conway Eastern had red/orange graphics, Conway Central was brown/orange, Conway Western was navy blue/orange, Conway Southwest was navy blue/lime green and Conway Southern Express was med blue/light blue. Then they became Conway Transportation and colors were dark grey/light grey and finally Conway Freight and back to med blue/light blue. Now they are XPO and red/black. What a rainbow.

Posted:  4 months ago

We bare all!

It's called Cafe Risque and has been there for years. It is a fully nude dance place and they started serving food and later added a truck parking area with free parking and showers. I've heard there is a cover charge if you are not eating and just there to "look" and that the food isn't bad and is reasonably priced. It seems like some of the college co-eds from neighboring University of Florida work part time here and are probably making more than the drivers who stop here.

Posted:  4 months ago

Weather: When to shut down?

As everyone has stated you should always be on the side of safety! The warning signs are either for your benefit and safety or the legal reason to exit highway. If you had to think about these warnings go with your "gut" feelings and do the right thing and heed the warnings. You could have become a statistic but thankfully you didn't. Mother Nature is nothing to play with when she is having a bad day. You have been lucky so far but don't play the odds as eventually you could lose it all. Good luck to you.

Posted:  4 months ago

A walk on the ‘Darkside’ - working for a small company

I agree with Brett. The smaller company with "large cars" that doesn't keep up with maintainence is no where as good as a larger company with "fleet" style trucks that maintain them with pride. The large company has the power, dollars and knowledge behind them to be more profitable and offer their drivers a better paycheck and benefits to go with the pay. Bottom line is the "large car" might be impressive and more powerful but in the long run the company type truck will be there for you much longer. Besides the freight, miles and pay will be much better at the big company versus the little guy. Your choice.

Posted:  4 months ago

Nervous lady here.

DeniseC.,

Where did you go? I hope you have succeeded in you training with Roehl and quitting the smoking habit. It seems like you started a thread and we slightly hijacked it from you. Send us an update with your training and good luck to you.

Posted:  4 months ago

Nervous lady here.

EllieMae,

Congratulations! You have proved to yourself and everyone here on TT that with determination and a positive attitude you can accomplish anything. I wish you continued success in your training with Roehl and if nothing else at least you can change the type of haul if you need to. Good luck.

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

Ladies?

Yes we do Susan. I have learned a lot from listening to the women here on TT. Problems are the same for both sexes, successes are equal but there are a few differences that should make men more aware of their sisters efforts to succeed in this industry. I for one will continue to read and learn from a great group of women. P.S.- Don't tell Rainy D.

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

Observation from Center Stage

G town, As always you have shown anyone reading the forums what is the proper and smart way to handle a potential hazard that could arise at any moment. Hopefully it will awaken just one clown that drives in such a manner and prevent a serious accident and possible injury or death from occurring or a road rage incident. I always applaud your professionalism and good judgement which leads to great topics for discussion and guidance for those not yet experienced or even those that practice such bad habits.

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

Wal Mart Parking

Tyler B, You have got to be kidding! If you think that this is alright then you are part of the problem. It is bad enough that the general public perceives us in a less than a shining light but you contribute to a non-exceptable habit even to your fellow drivers. We all have been "hit" with a emergency situation but carry some items for these times like a 5 gallon bucket, plastic bags, toilet paper and even air spray and then dispose of it properly. Your Mama can not be very proud of you and professional drivers sure aren't.

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

Walmart Pickup Is Awesome

Like Old School said, every Walmart has to have enough for the 18 wheelers to deliver. If you can't get your truck near the grocery pick up area maybe just take a cart and stand near the pick up area and wait for your groceries. A little exercise too.

Posted:  5 months ago

Orlando Florida

I always use Route 417 or 429 to go around Orlando. They only know how to charge tolls for their by-pass highways. It would have been nice if Florida had applied for funding to build a complete by-pass around Orlando years ago but it is what it is.

Posted:  5 months ago

A Duie Pyle

I agree with Jeremy on this. Even driving a box truck Mon-Fri requires all of your attention and you won't have the time or ability to think about what the kids are doing. A. Duie Pyle or any other good company out here deserves your full attention while driving and delivering freight. I personally would opt for the weekend Dad because you can devote the full time to the children and gain more quality time then trying to balance them both.

Posted:  5 months ago

The Sapp Bros., Lee & Bill

This might be a little off course for TT but I just thought I'd post the passing of 2 of the industries great truck stop founders. Lee Sapp, 90 died on 3/30/19 and just about a week later his brother Bill, 86 passed away. They were the founders of the Sapp Bros. Truck Stops. These were 2 of the great men who appreciated the trucking industry and established a small chain of truck stops along I-80. Hopefully their family will keep the dream alive and not sell out to another giant chain just for the money. Rest in peace.

Posted:  5 months ago

YRC's long-haul unit and 2 key regional units could go out of business if unionized workers vote down a tent. CBA

Hey GTown, Good point you made about TL and not LTL. I posted my reply without understanding or knowing that. I appreciate the update and clarification. You are the Man.

Posted:  5 months ago

Watch your wagon... G-town

As a reminder to anyone who follows TT for advice there isn't anyone who contributes more to drivers than G Town. Some might not always agree with him but his advice is always right on. I'm sure that some who read the forums do not agree with G Town but he will never steer you wrong.

Posted:  5 months ago

It seems like another of the "Big Great Freight Companies" is about to be eliminated. It was just a matter of time. When CF disappeared Conway grew by leaps and bounds until it was consumed by a foreign giant XPO. Overnite got taken over to benefit UPS's entry into the freight business. As stated previously you can work for Old Dominion or Southeast and make as much or more than a union company. I am retired but still have my withdrawal card from when the union jobs were everywhere. The great Teamsters is only a shell from what it was.