Profile For PlanB

PlanB's Info

NC

Experienced Driver

2 years ago

PlanB's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Posted:  2 days, 19 hours ago

Newbie problems with trip planning..

I like to calculate estimated drive time to my delivery. Then look at how many total hours between now and my delivery appt. Subtract my drive time from the total time and now I'm left with total amount of time I can spend parked. Now I'll divide that by 10 to see how many 10 hour breaks I could fit in, plus any spare hours.

Now you can break those numbers up and move them around to see how many hours a day you need to drive and how many breaks you'll be taking. Once you know about how many hours a day you'll be driving you can plan out where you want to stop and at what time.

I usually do the math on a pocket notepad so I can visualize and double check my planned use of hours.

You may want to shut down sooner one day if your going to hit a city at rush hour, and get an early start to cover that ground next shift when traffic is better. Or if you in an area where parking is competitive, definitely shut down early if you can. I once spent 4 hours hopping from truck stop to truck stop to rest area until I finally found a dirt lot behind a gas station. That was I64 and I77 through WV and VA late at night.

Posted:  2 days, 20 hours ago

My logs are a mess

Tell me about it...

Prime is switching I believe 10 fleets a week over a 10 week period over to ELD. Those who haven't been switched over yet are running AOBRD with restrictions that mimic ELD.

This was my log the first day we switched to the new restrictions with the 5mph drive line rule. I did 11 deliveries that day.

My fleet switches over to ELD in just over two weeks.

0081511001569001440.jpg

Posted:  2 weeks, 5 days ago

What is recapping hours -- having hard time understanding

That spreadsheet seems to assume your doing the exact same amount of on duty hours everyday. Sure if you can do exactly 8.75 hours of combined on duty and drive time everyday you will never run out of hours. But that may very likely not be possible. I'll often get loads that pick up in the afternoon and need to be delivered the next morning 500+ miles away. I'm not getting that done in 8.75 hours. I'll also often need to pull consecutive as close to 11 hour drive shifts as I can to make some appointments. And that's not considering on duty time for inspections, fueling, or loading/unloading. I watch my recaps closely, but I will run the max amount of drive hours I have available to me in a daily period. I rarely take planned 34s and just run on whatever recaps I have. Sometimes I'll get a 34 waiting at a customer, and then it's game time with a fresh clock!

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Question about hazmat expiration

As I mentioned I already have TWIC. Prime had me get it right away. Have used it probably 4 or 5 times at ports I've picked up in.

Looking at getting my hazmat because even tho I love OTR and Prime, it's having an increasingly detrimental effect on my family. I gave up training new drivers because it was keeping me away from home longer. Now it's still getting harder and harder to meet the needs of my family while I'm OTR. Trying to open up my pool of local possibilities. There's a cluster of a half dozen or so fuel hauling carriers just 3 miles from my house. Multiple LTL carrier terminals about 40 - 90 minutes from house. Both of those options would require hazmat endorsements. Fuel hauling would also require the TWIC, which I already have.

My best non hazmat or TWIC option would probably be a Sysco foods roughly 5 miles from my house. I'm just not sure I'm ready to condemn myself to the inevitable knee/back problems many of those guys develop over time. The few I've had the opportunity to speak to were all wrapped up in knee and back supports and admitted the job is hard on the body.

Enough rambling from me. Thank you for the responses.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Question about hazmat expiration

Been thinking about getting my hazmat so I'm going to start my tsa risk assessment when I get home in a couple days. The standard price risk assessment is good for 5 years. My question is does your CDL expiration date override that, or it keeps it's own expiration? Would they update/change your CDL expiration when you get the endorsement added, or it remains the same?

My CDL currently expires June 2022, while the 5 year hazmat would in theory expire sometime in mid to late 2024.

Alternatively the reduced rate is about $20 cheaper and would aline the hazmat expiration with my twic card, which expires October 2022.

Wondering if paying the extra $20 for the extra 2 years is well spent, or a waste if it will just expire in 2022 with my CDL anyway?

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Lettering on the back of cabs

Today I passed one that said: "She only smokes when she drinks"

That's a funny play on words with those song lyrics.

My first day arriving at Prime I had just checked in to the campus inn hotel and looked out my window.

It was the first time I had been away from my wife and kids for any longer than a day. I was still trying to wrap my head around not seeing them for potentially months.

This truck being outside my window did not help my frame of mind that day!

0811175001564445847.jpg

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Who adds remarks to elogs?

When I've asked our logs department they have always said it is not required to add a remark to a duty status. But we are required to add a remark if we edit a duty status.

I've asked both in classroom setting and 1 on 1 with my logs auditor.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Detention Stamps

I've never heard of the fine either. I usually don't put one on unless the customer took so long I thought I may be due detention pay.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Advice please - started solo and second time this is happening.

To me it seems like your FM is coaching you on how to maximize your efficiency and make the most money. The OTR lifestyle takes some getting used to. One major part of that is being able to get rest when you have the opportunity, not just when you'd like to. If I'm at a customer for 6+ hours I will absolutely try to get in either an 8hr sleeper break or a full 10hr break. That way I have a full clock available to work with and make more money.

Very often I get most of my sleep while I'm locked into a dock at a customer.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Rainy

Yep! that was me. i parked at a rest area

I was eastbound and waved at you.

You turned your head and looked right at me, but didn't wave!

I am wounded!

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Tough local backing for a newbie

Prime has gone through a range of trailer tail types. They have been proven to increase fuel mileage, but they do require more attention by the driver.

Our older trailers have the manually open and close type that do cause the doors to sick out considerably. You must be very mindful of them when obstacles are anywhere near your open doors.

The last couple years we had a thinner profile self opening style. They cut down how far they would make your doors stick out, but we had other issues with them. They originally had no method of secure closure. A jolt while backing or a gust of wind could cause them to pop open on their own. Many customer dock doors were damaged by these tails opening back up during backing, after the driver had closed them. I ran into a couple customers that checked what type of tails my trailer had and refused to let trailers with that type of tail on their property. They have all been modified with a secure closure system and the self opening tabs were cut off.

Our latest trailers don't have tails anymore. Instead they have these curved tabs that stick out about 6" and are spring loaded so we don't have to worry about them while backing. Can open the trailer doors easily or even back right into a dock with doors shut and they will move out of the way by themselves.

0940425001561841720.jpg

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Might have prevented a minor accident

Oh boy I used to have a bad habbit of not applying enough pressure to the brake while stopped on an incline. Id be holding the brake, but not quite enough. Broke that habit before it ever got me into trouble.

When I was taking my CDL exam I had the examiner in the passenger seat and I was doing one last triple/quadruple check of everything before I took my foot off the break. Examiner in a calm voice, "Just so you know we're rolling." (I slam breake pedal to the floor jerking our heads back into the headrests) Examiner in same calm voice, "All good, begin when ready."

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Rainy

Rainy were you by chance heading westbound on I20 towards Birmingham around 0900 this morning? Wearing a hi-vis while driving?

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Looking For Information About Prime

Another very happy Prime driver here.

Every bad review of Prime I've seen, both on company or lease side, was from a driver who created their own problem or jumped into a lease without understanding what being an independent contractor means.

I've lost count of how many driver's I've run into that have said Prime sucks because they drove for prime and they got fired for to many automatic generated critical events. Ummm that's your fault driver...not the companies.

Prove yourself to be an asset and they will take very very good care of you. Prove yourself to be a liability and they will show you the door.

That's the same for any company.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Tough local backing for a newbie

Overhead view. Looks like fun!

Those cars parked in the first few spots definitely increase the challenge.

0308862001561730160.jpg

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Does crete let you set your PTA or do they micromanage you?

Never even thought about setting a morning PTA. If my 10hr is over and I haven't received a dispatch yet I'd be ringing my dispatcher asking what the hold up is.

If I'm already loaded and I take a 10+hr break my dispatcher won't say a word. He knows I will budget my time appropriately and be on time.

I suspect it's when you have a history of excessive breaks followed by being late to appointments, or the dispatcher just isn't familiar with you yet, is when you'll be receiving reminders after 10hrs that it's time to go to work.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Clear your info off the pump before you leave...

This morning I pulled up behind a truck at the fuel island of the Effingham IL Flying J. The driver seemed to be having a problem with the pump. He looked back towards me and pointed at the pump followed by running his finger across his neck. I'm guessing he was signaling the pump is messed up. He jumped back in his tractor and pulled away. I wasn't in a very good position to back up and get to another pump so I figured I'd give this pump a try, and pull around again if needed.

As I pull up I can see the message on the pump screen says hose not authorized. That usually means your trying to pump diesel and the DEF hose is not properly hung up. The pump thinks your using the wrong hose. I jiggled the DEF hose and the screen changes to "remove hose to start fueling". Keep in mind I haven't entered my info, this is still the previous driver's transaction. He got frustrated and pulled away, and left his payment info active on the pump. Had a less honest driver been behind him they could have filled their truck up on on the previous driver's payment card.

I had to get the fuel desk to cancel the active transaction so I could start my own.

If your having trouble with a fuel pump. Never leave that pump until your certain your info has been cleared. Go talk to the fuel desk if necessary, but don't just get frustrated and leave.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Delayed for the dreaded quality control

One morning I was picking up a load of Miller lite. I had dropped my empty for inspection and hooked to a preinspected empty. I then got the required bulkheads preloaded inside the trailer. I was instructed to wait in an assigned parking space and until the yard dog came and gave me further instructions. And there I waited...and waited...and waited.

Later that afternoon I asked the guards if everything was ok, they just said go back to your truck and wait. Very unpleasant couple.

Now it's nearly sundown and I walk up to the guard shack to use their restroom. I noticed that the guards had changed shift, so I decided to see if the new faces had any info. Much more pleasant couple than earlier. When they checked my load info, "Oh your waiting on Miller Lite! The production lines have been down for two days! I still don't think they even have an ETA on when they'll be back up! "

Ah crap.... Would have been nice if the day time guards had shared that info.

Around 7am the next morning the yard dog finally came and knocked on my door. They were finally ready to load me.

Sat for a full 24hrs on their lot while they got their production line going again. On the up side once I got in a door they had me fully loaded in under 10 minutes.

Not the longest I've had to wait on a load, but still hate wasting a day.

Posted:  3 months ago

Sleeper Split Would Have Been Useful

That type of situation is the most common reason I log a split sleeper.

Some nights I just start having trouble focusing around 3-4am, and that's my cue to hit the next available parking area and park it anywhere I can. Set my alarm for 2.5 hours and take a power nap. That short power nap is enough to get me alert again, and by the end of the 2.5 hours its nearly sunrise. That sun coming up has a huge psychological benefit and I'm good to drive my clock out. Once I stop again I lay down and log an 8hr sleeper. Now I'm good to roll again with minimal time lost. Then I'll usually complete that trip logging 8hr sleeper rests and 2hr breaks along the way to grab food and a shower.

Keeps me rolling efficiently and I don't need to stop for a 30 minute break if I don't want to.

Posted:  3 months ago

While Waiting For Next Load

Usually I either have a preplan or I receive one while I'm at my unload. On the occasion that I've sent my departure msg and still don't have a preplan and I can't hang around at the customer, I'll head to the nearest truck stop. Preferably one with a washout. Don't sit on the side of the road. It's not safe and you could get ticketed. Sometimes it ends up being the wrong direction, but thats an acceptable risk over sitting on the shoulder somewhere.

My last load was GA to MN, as I was delivering I was happy to get a preplan from SD back to GA. Now I've been sitting at shipper in SD for almost 24hrs after my appointment, waiting for this load of lovely meat combos.

Sometimes preplans work in your favor... Sometimes they don't.