Profile For PlanB

PlanB's Info

NC

Rookie Solo Driver

1 year, 1 month ago

PlanB's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

I'm headed to Springfield Prime Fri

I read the same posts you did. The ONLY thing that I felt was vague was if that 2k was before or after setting aside tax money.

After I finished training I stayed on my lease trainers truck. He was no longer my trainer, now I was a co-driver. I was fresh out of training and he went home for 3 weeks and paid me 50cpm to run his leased truck while he went on vacation. I ran a lot of miles those weeks and he showed me his settlements after he got back on the truck.

He paid me the 50cpm, and I made very good checks those weeks. As I was a company driver on his lease truck he had to pay my social security benefits and he paid the company contribution towards my medical benefits. After paying all those expenses plus the trucks expenses he still made a good amount of money those 3 weeks. I've seen a lease trucks solo settlements while being run by a fresh out of school driver (Me).

That is why Austin's claims are in no way unbelievable to me. I did it.

And saying $2k after ALL expenses is too vague. No one serious about running a successful business will go on such a vague statement.

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

Is there an official 'Ten Commandments of Trucking Safety'?

We are taught in school to be ready for the hill and be in the required gear at the summit before you start your decent. The risk if that you take the truck out of gear and then miss your shift. Now the truck is accelerating under it's own weight down the hill out of gear. You will fry your service brakes quickly trying to slow down that truck enough to get it back in gear.

I have run into experienced driver's who claim they can downshift on downhills because "they know how to shift" but I would never risk it.

I'm headed to Springfield Prime Fri

Have you ever leased or run a truck at all?

He is right now.

Who's trying to share their experiences and who's spewing out the rainbow barf?

Everyone who enters trucking must make their own risk/cost/benefit decision. Are the benefits of trucking worth the risks of being on the road. Are those benefits also worth the cost of not seeing your loved ones.

What you mentioned above is just another risk/benefit evaluation taken to the factor of worst case scenario.

You will come to your conclusion. I will come to my conclusion. Everyone else must make their own.

Just because your conclusion is different than someone else's, does not make either of you wrong.

Of course. The question is do you think people looking into this industry want to calculate the risk/cost/benefit equation with accurate numbers or glitter farts and rainbow barf?

I'm headed to Springfield Prime Fri

I think our difference is what you are referring to as "hard, cold reality", I believe should be followed by or replaced with "in my/our opinion".

Austin O. stepped up and put forward his experience. What followed appeared to me like an entire defensive line dogpiling a quarterback. Everyone on this site tries to share their experiences for the benefit of others. But we don't agree with Austin's experiences so we're going to pick apart his every word and tell him why we think his experiences are wrong. Brett you took his comment of 2k on the weeks he runs and you multiplied that out to 100k a year. Austin never once claimed he maid that much. He clearly wrote to the contrary, but yet you keep bringing up that number that you created.

Whenever someone who leased or owned a truck shares a negative experience, or claims that they didn't do much better than a company driver, the angels of TT sing their praises and thank them for sharing their experience of why you shouldn't lease.

Yet when a company driver had a bad experience or doesn't do well, TT advises them to look in the mirror for their problem.

Here a guy who leases shares his positive experiences and those singing angels become charging linebackers trying to sac that quarterback.

PlanB, I've noticed you've shown some hostility and frustration toward us recently and I suspect it's because secretly you'd like to buy or lease a truck yourself and you don't like what you're hearing. Otherwise I don't know why you would act like we're wronging people or being hypocrites. The only people who get frustrated with us are the people who don't like what they're hearing because it goes against their hopes. But realize that we're going to give people the hard, cold reality at all times. That's what we do. If you'd rather have someone feed you a bunch of BS you'll have no trouble finding it, it's almost everywhere on the Web. Just not here.

I'm headed to Springfield Prime Fri

Ok now if I don't mess up the formatting again I'll respond to this half.

Risks, not risk. Your example is only one risk of a multitude that L/Os expose themselves to, many of them unrelated to safe driving and maintenance. Company drivers don't have to worry about that, and they can take home almost as much.

Slip and break your leg. Who is going to be home staring down a lease payment, insurance payments, potential repo, etc while the truck is parked and algae is growing in the fuel tank? Who is going to be collecting workman's comp with no truckly worries?

Are the risks worth the marginal increase in pay?

I'm headed to Springfield Prime Fri

(Revenue - cost) ÷ timing. Payroll cutoff is Tuesday. Take 7 days off in the middle and you still have 3 days on one week and 4 days on the other week to generate enough revenue to cover costs for both weeks. If the dispatcher found you loads with good rates, you'll still have enough left over to have a decent check.

Honestly it doesn't surprise me at all that someone would take a financial hit in a family emergency situation.

I completely agree with that. But here's what he said...

I deadheaded those 800 miles took a week off and STILL made a good paycheck.

How does a lease operator take a week off and still make a good paycheck? I feel like an idiot harping on this... after all he had a death in the family - I probably would do the same thing. It's those kind of statements that just make me realize something isn't right about the math in this discussion.

I'm headed to Springfield Prime Fri

What floored me was when he started in about deadheading 800 miles and acting like it wasn't that big a deal. I know a bunch of lease operators, and none of them make those kind of business decisions. I lost interest at that point because my business background screams at me that something is amiss here. I do my best to speak up in these discussions because I know how many newbies read these threads and are influenced by them. I want them to be influenced with facts, not false hopes.

Really?

Family is worth it.

Now Deadheading 800 miles for a load... I'd agree that would be crazy.

I'm headed to Springfield Prime Fri

Plan B, you mentioned nothing about the risks that a L/O assumes that company driver does not. That is a very real factor to consider.

Absolutely it's a risk. But if you drive safely and take care of your truck as you should, that risk will drastically decrease.

I'm headed to Springfield Prime Fri

Cantankerous you asked who said that. My post was a cumulative response to many many discussions I've read on here about leaseing vs company and such. The comment I was referencing was in as past discussion on this topic.

Old School I do not wish to point fingers at anyone about the posts that I've read and interpreted as sarcastic. Sarcastic intention can be difficult to interpret in text, but there have been multiple responses in lease topic threads that seemed rude and sarcastic in my opinion.

I said I don't want to point fingers, but I would like to point my finger AWAY in your case Old School. In my opinion, you always present your views in a respectful fashion.

I'm headed to Springfield Prime Fri

Oops above post should have started:

I don't think anyone would argue.....

I'm headed to Springfield Prime Fri

I don't think anyone will large that you build a large fleet by keeping your driver's happy.

Prime has kept a very large fleet of happy driver's and had become a giant in the industry because of all those happy driver's.

Prime makes it's money off it's large happy fleet of lease/owner operators and company driver's.

Why limit itself to one or the other?

Not to mention if there were more money to be made by owning the truck, maintaining and insuring it, replacing it, and all that goes with owning the truck, why would Prime, or any other company want to lease to a driver? Why would they not simply hire company drivers and keep those profits for themselves?

I'm headed to Springfield Prime Fri

PlanB, this driver just claimed he's making $100,000 in profit per year as a lease driver.

Do you believe him?

That's not what I got from his posts. I read that he average nets 2k after expenses on the weeks that he is out. He did not state 100k as that would mean he never took home time...ever. To me it is not clear if he deducted estimated taxes from that net figure. But in my opinion this matters very little. A company driver making 100k and a lease driver making 100k both pay taxes. Company driver just pays them before they get their check. Lease driver pays them after. Someone posted earlier that if you make 70k you still have to pay 15k taxes so you only made 55k. But they left out that a company driver who grosses 70k still has to pay their taxes as well, and will be brought down to nearly the same final figure. I am not forgetting about social security and business taxes. That's why I said "nearly the same figure." All this is assuming the lease driver understands that they must pay their taxes later. If the driver doesn't take that into consideration than they will absolutely sink their own boat by no one's fault but their own.

So how can a lease driver make more than a company driver when the lease driver has to pay for a long list of services from Prime that a company driver doesn't have to pay for?

Company driver is still paying for those services.

(What did this guy just say?! He must be out of his mind!! I'm a company driver and I don't pay any of that!)

Yes you do....

You earned the money, but never saw the money to begin with.

The money paying these expenses is coming from the customer. So you could really say the customer is the one paying all those fees. The difference is just the flow of the money.

As a company driver you complete a load and the customer pays the money to the carrier. From that money the company pays its expenses. All those services the company driver enjoys are paid for from this money pool. The truck payments and insurance come from this money. From that same money pool the driver's wages are paid. The rest the carrier keeps as profit.

If that same load was completed by a lease driver the customer still pays the same amount of money. The money pool is then split between the driver and the carrier. In the example of prime, it's a 28/72 split. The 28% paid to prime covers it's office and administrative expenses with what ever is left over as profit. From the other 78% the costs of running the truck are deducted. What's left over is paid to the driver.

The office/administrative and trucks costs aren't any different between the company and lease fleets. The only difference was which spreadsheet the money touched before those costs were paid.

Company driver's pay is a fixed expense.

Lease driver's pay is a function of the loads pay minus how effeciently or inefficiently they run their truck. (cost)

If they run there truck well (top tier driver), they will do very well. A top tier efficient company driver will increase the profits for their company. This is why we have fuel bonuses. The carrier is giving us an incentive to save the carrier more money. The lease driver who efficiently runs their truck pockets 100% of those fuel savings.

If they are a lower tier driver and don't learn to control their costs, they will quickly drive themselves out of business.

A higher tier driver gives themselves a significant pay raise the more efficient they run their truck, the more of that 78% they take home.

I'm headed to Springfield Prime Fri

Wow this thread took a turn.

I love this site as it's a place where driver's can come to ask anything they want and someone will help them out.

But this thread has quickly devolved into the one thing that still leaves me scratching my head about this sites collective minds.

If a driver posts on TT claiming that they can't make any money at a mega carrier and their company is taking advantage of them. The Company won't let them take the home time they want or isnt giving them the miles they need to survive. Then voices of TT will inform them that they need to readjust their attitude and realize that their success is in the companies best interest. These mega carriers didn't become so successful by screwing over their driver's. The only thing holding them back is their own attitude and truck management skills. TT will post a number of articles laying out the path of how to become a top tier driver.

Now comes the confusing part.

A driver posts claiming how they love the mega carrier they work for. They make wonderful money and are able to take home time when they wish. Sounds wonderful until they mention that they lease...

Suddenly the face of TT turns and the posts come raining down about how they have fallen into a trap. Their mega carrier is screwing them over by dumping costs and risk on the driver. They can't possibly take as much home time as a company driver or they wouldn't make any money. Then come the sarcastic comments mocking the driver's claims of how well they are doing. Their happiness is all smoke and mirrors because they clearly don't understand math and don't even realise the trap they've fallen into.

All that wisdom about how to be a top tier driver suddenly is meaningless. Suddenly no matter what your only as good as an "average" company driver.

What happened to that bit about no mega carrier could survive screwing over it's driver's over the long run? Primes fleet is about 80% lease or owner operator. How did this company become such a giant in the industry if it's screwing over 80% of it's driver's????

Fake News

I had a lease trainer. It doesn't matter to them at all if you go company or lease.

Their bonus are retention based. Once you pass your tests they get a bonus. Once you upgrade and get your own truck they get a bonus. If you stay with company for a year they get a bonus.

Have absolutely nothing to do with you going company or lease.

Thanks for responding Rainey. My plans are to go company only. Maybe I will get lucky with a good FM too if Prime takes me aboard. :-)

Word of caution. If you get a lease op for a trainer, they will pour it on thick to try convincing you to go lease. They get a nicer bonus if you do. I always tell rookies to yes them to death & stick to your guns. There’s just too much a rookie doesn’t know to be profitable as a lease op. Good luck.

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

I'm headed to Springfield Prime Fri

Ya know I'm going to start thinking your trying to avoid me! No answer when I'm blasting my horn next to your sleeper. Now I just drove back over where you were parked and your gone...

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

I'm headed to Springfield Prime Fri

Had a little scare just before when my truck started making a loud banging sound. Kinda like someone banging a metal spoon on a frying pan rapidly.

Rolled over to the tractor shop to see how long until I could get an appointment, fully expecting not to get an appointment until at least tomorrow or the next day. Surprisingly they put someone on my truck right away!

The nut holding the alternator pully and fan assembly had somehow backed out. The banging was the alternator fan.

Tightened that nut down and my truck is good as new!

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

I'm headed to Springfield Prime Fri

I pulled up to your truck. Played a lil jingle with my horn at ya.

Your cat looked at me funny.

No Rainy tho...

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

I'm headed to Springfield Prime Fri

Yeah lol. Trying to get my student to decide what he wants to eat actually.

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago