Profile For PlanB

PlanB's Info

NC

Experienced Driver

2 years, 7 months ago

PlanB's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Check stations and ports of entry

Hey Plan B... how ya been?

Been doing well. Been playing in snow a lot lately. Next load will be my get home load, trying to get home for Valentine's day.smile.gif Also trying to get back in time to take my girls to a local "Daddy & Daughter" dance.

My wife and kids have been leaning on me pretty hard to give up otr and go local. Weighing my options with that one still.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Check stations and ports of entry

Also be aware of agricultural check stations. You'll find those in FL and CA. They'll funnel all trucks up a window where an officer will, in my experience, either A: Ask to see your bills, B: Verbally ask what your hauling, C: Just wave you on.

Just have your bills in easy reach and know what your hauling so your prepared to respond.

If your within 100 miles of the southern border you may run into a border patrol checkpoint. They'll ask if everyone in the vehicle is a US citizen. Often they'll run a dog around the truck to sniff. I've never been asked to pull in for inspection, but it's a possibility.

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

What's the strangest "rule" you've encountered at customer?

Picking up at egg farms and their bio-security protocols are fun. First question me on the last 3 loads I've done, specifically if I've hauled any poultry. Then I'm issued the exact paper smock, hair/beard net, and foot nets that I had to wear during my wife's C-sections. Not allowed out of the truck while on the property, but if you absolutely must exit the truck you must wear all the issued protective stuff. Truck goes through a machine that sprays the truck and trailer exterior down with some sort of cleaner. Dang spray left a nasty white residue all over my truck. An employee meets you at the dock and will pull your tandem release so you can slide them to the rear, and open your rear doors so you can back in. When loading finished they will come out to close and seal the trailer doors, and release the tandems again so you can slide them up a bit. They'll hand you the paperwork through your window and direct you to leave the property.

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

What would you do? (Icy roads)

Last night I was on 94 heading from Chicago up to Milwaukee. It was snowing but nothing out of the ordinary. I was moving along at about 35-40mph comfortably. Just 10 miles from my stopping point my windshield wipers started accumulating ice rapidly, and no amount of hot air on the windshield was making a difference. Within a minute my windshield was completely iced over and I had to look out my passenger side window to see how close to the roadside barrier I was while I slowly nudged the truck closer and felt for the edge of the road. I broke all the ice and cleared of my windshield and wipers, then got moving again. Immediately the ice began building up quickly and I had to pull over again within 2 miles as my windshield was again nearly completely blocked. During those last 10 miles I pulled over 4 times to clear ice and just crept along slowly between stoppages in anticipation of losing visitability. I saw many spun out cars on the side of or in the middle of the road I saw during those final miles. No way I was going to risk parking on the shoulder for the storm. Just chugged along at 10-15 mph until I reached a safe place to park. Have been in seemingly worse winter storms and never had ice build up like that.

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

Vent & Brag...

Nice! Your truck or his?

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Kearsey you aren’t in Maine, by any chance?

That's a Freightliner, she drives an International.

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

"Programmable" GPS Question...

I do that often on my Garmin. If gps route doesn't match where I want to go there's a screen where I can add via points with a single touch on the map. Works great to make those final mile adjustments so the route matches what my written directions to the customer are.

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

This was weird

Yup law enforcement does not need any probable cause to pull over and inspect a CMV. You can be pulled over at any moment.

Never had it happen to me tho

Posted:  4 months ago

Wanting to learn on a Manual

Coasting with the truck in neutral is illegal and extremely dangerous. You may get away with putting it in neutral and using the brakes down a hill in a car. Try that in a truck on a major hill and you will likely kill yourself and some innocents in a car in front of you.

Many people who drive manual cars don't actually know how to drive a manual, but can get away with it since the vehicles are so light. They therefore never learn how to downshift. Learning to downshift is not an option in a truck. You absolutely must know how to properly downshift.

Posted:  4 months ago

Backing help needed: turning front vs. back of trailer

Your referring to truck platooning. Trucks that are platooning would use connectivity and automated driving support systems to maintain that close distance.

It's totally unsafe to follow a truck at those distances without those systems in place.

Noob asked about wind resistance.

Hasn't there been some practice of both trucks and racing vehicles to follow closely behind and utilize the "draft" behind a lead vehicle, one effect for increasing fuel economy? If this is true, I think I've also been aware that it's frowned upon from a safety standpoint.

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Backing help needed: turning front vs. back of trailer

I believe the reason we increase following distance is to give ourselves a larger area to slow down so we do not have to brake as hard in the event the vehicle we are following slows. Hard braking while being tailgated could easily end in a collision.

We're not giving them an invitation to pass. We're creating additional buffer space for our own safety.

The correct answer is that you increase your following distance - the space in front of you. The reason to do this is to make room for your tailgaiter to safely get in front of you.

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Backing help needed: turning front vs. back of trailer

I used to start stressing out 30 minutes before i got to a location I knew I was going to need to back up at. Hated making mistakes in front of my trainer and holding other trucks up from doing their thing.

My biggest difficulty backing the truck up was getting my mind where it needed to be.

Your purpose is not to impress anyone. Your purpose is to get that trailer where it needs to be without hitting anything. It doesn't matter how long it takes or what anyone else in the area thinks. If you messed up your setup, who cares! Just reset and do it again. I've had bad days where i kept messing up my setup and had to pull out of the lot exit, come back in the entrance and try again multiple times! Sometimes it's a tight spot and you need to make multiple fine adjustments forwards and backwards. Sometimes you'll be doing what seems like a million pull ups trying to fix your angle. You'll have those moments where you just don't know how the hell to fix the problem your in. Get out of the truck and walk around it so you can form a new plan of action. It doesn't matter how long it takes you, as long as you get it done.

Do not let anyone rush you and do not let the opinions of others affect you.

Once I got my mind where it needed to be, my backing improved drastically.

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Backing help needed: turning front vs. back of trailer

I like to watch how the trailer is drifting and adjust. Naturally if you've got the cab at an angle to the trailer and back straight up, the trailer will drift further and further to the side. I use this to drift the trailer into the spot.

As I'm passing my intended spot I'll turn to the right and pull my trailer tandems just past the spot. Then turn left just enough to get my cab on the left side of the trailer at an angle. Usually now my cab is perpendicular with the spot while my trailer is at angle pointing towards the top of the spot or just slightly in front of it. Now I'll start slowly backing straight back and watch how rapidly the trailer is drifting towards the spot. This is where I will use "Steer towards trouble". If it's drifting to fast towards the driver's side I'll turn the wheel towards the driver's side. This will reduce the truck/trailer angle and reduce the rate of drift. Alternatively if it's not drifting enough and headed towards the passenger side spot, I'll turn wheel towards the passenger side to increase the truck/trailer angle. After making an adjustment I return steers to center to continue backing and again observe how it's drifting, and make further corrections if needed. Get the angle right and the trailer puts itself right in the spot.

It's a more gradual method. I dislike putting the truck/trailer at 90° or similar "jackknife" angles.

Another thing when backing between two trucks. Don't be afraid of getting close to the truck on your driver's side. It's better to be closer to the obstacle that you can see, rather than having a nice comfortable gap on your driver's side while decreasing your clearance on your blind side. This is especially helpful if your trailer tandems are far forward leaving you with substantial tail swing. I'll often back into a spot very close to the driver's side truck, then use a pull up to center myself now that I can clearly see the passenger side truck in my mirrors.

If at any time you are in any way unsure of your positioning, is time to get out and look.

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Jim Palmer or Wil Trans

Just to add, Jim Palmer and Will Trans are both owned by the same company I believe. Wilson logistics unless I'm mistaken.

They are both very often seen pulling Prime trailers and are welcome at Prime terminals. They work closely with Prime but are not owned by Prime.

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Jim Palmer or Wil Trans

Hang around here a little while and you'll see that there are many driver's on this forum who are very happy and successful working for those "Megas" that people like to bash.

Prime, Swift, CRST are just a few of the common subjects of trash talk. You'll find happy driver's from every one of them on this forum.

I drive for Prime, and love the company.

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Wanting to learn on a Manual

I'm all for testing in a manual if you have the opportunity. I've always been in autos, but im glad I tested in a manual and don't have a restriction.

Having driven a manual car doesn't really make it any easier to learn manual in a big truck. In some ways it will make it harder as you now must break old habits. Car manuals are synchronized and therefore don't need to be rev matched. You can downshift from 4th to 3rd and when you let out the clutch it will just rev the engine up as the pressure plate engages. The syncros keep everything in alignment so you can complete a shift with a single clutch depression. A big trucks gears are not synchronized, so if you try that same shift it will quickly get out of alignment and not let you go back into gear. You'll just have that wonderful grinding sound and it'll spit the shifter back into neutral. The driver must manually keep engine, transmission, and wheel speed synchronized to execute a shift.

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Safety Awards

Basically acknowledgements for safe driving and service milestones. Every company is different.

My company gives patches, hats, jackets...etc. No embroidered silk boxer shorts, but several embroidered jackets lol

I'll post my list below for the just over two years I been with my company. PTC awards are our service awards for on time delivery and such.

0866593001574420664.jpg0715385001574420689.jpg

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Stupid Question About Doubles & Triples

For the most part you simply don't back up doubles. You'll often see the trucks pulling doubles/triples getting creative with their parking at truck stops so they can pull straight out. A standard tractor trailer combo has one point of articulation were the truck and trailer are coupled. The "A" type doubles most commonly used in the US use a separate dolly to connect trailers together. So the front trailer is connected to the dolly at one articulation point and the rear trailer is connected to that dolly at another articulation point. That makes 3 total articulation points for a truck pulling doubles and 5 for a truck pulling triples. Good luck backing up a combination that bends in 3 to 5 places. If a driver needs to back a trailer into a dock they will unhook the combination and back one trailer in at a time. Usually these combinations are just being brought to a terminal where they are dropped.

There are "B" and "C" type combinations that use a single articulation point between trailers. Those type of doubles are possible to back up but still quite difficult. They aren't that common in the US.

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Ramp speed limits, and why they matter

Coincidentally had this pop up on Facebook feed. Can't seem to make the link active.

But it's a short clip of what appears to be a fuel tanker taking an on ramp to fast.

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Pre-trip/Maneuver week coming

Lol when I tested I to was stricken by the evaluators words, "are you complete?"

I was "finishing" my in cab inspection racing my brain wondering if I had missed something. Then the evaluator uttered that phrase, "Are you complete?"

I started to say yyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeee....NNNNNNNOooOOOoOOOoOO!!!! I cut my prolonged yes in half as I realised I missed a section. I covered the area I had missed, and those words echoed out again like the man behind the curtain in the Wizard of Oz, "Are You Complete?"

*Gulp*... YES!

"Excellent, well done", he said!

What a relief.... LoL