Profile For PlanB

PlanB's Info

NC

Experienced Driver

2 years, 2 months ago

PlanB's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Posted:  16 hours, 39 minutes ago

HazMat test question...

It's False.

Shipper provides placards to driver. Driver is responsible for displaying them.

Posted:  3 weeks ago

Anybody gonna be in Prime SLC on Tues?

Last time I was there I had just finished backing into one of the 90° spots adjacent to the fuel island, and before I even set my brakes this guy was at my door waving his veterans ID claiming he had no money because of a medical procedure and needs gas money.

approached by a scam artist, addict, panhandler, or someone that "ran out of gas and has no money".

I think I've had all of that happen just during my 30 minute break there...

Posted:  3 weeks, 1 day ago

Most cheapest/smartest way to obtain CDL A?

Just over two years ago I was in the same boat as you. I had read and heard very much the same arguments against company training as you. I was originally going to go through my local community colleges CDL-A program. But I had only been a state resident for 9 months, so my tuition cost was going to be about $3500 instead of about $1000. At the time I couldn't afford to put that much out at once and still cover my families bills. And the next CDL-A course wouldn't start for another 6 months.

I needed to make a move asap so I reluctantly made the decision to go to a company sponsored training program and leave them as soon as my 1 year obligation was fulfilled. A couple weeks later I was at Prime starting orientation.

I did my 1 year...and stayed.

Just this past Sunday I received messages from my fleet manager congratulating me on my 2 year anniversary, and informing me that in have awards for 2 years of safety and on time delivery that I can pick up at our company store on my next pass through the terminal. I honestly didn't even realize it has been two years.

I do not regret going through Primes Student Driver program.

I would highly recommend to anyone looking to get their CDL to go through company sponsored training, and stay the year. You just may like it.

Posted:  3 weeks, 2 days ago

Secret to ontime delivery.

I joked with dispatch that mine was not working when I got dispatched on a load that the pick up appointment time had long passed.

Had a fill in dispatcher that day, he was not amused.

Posted:  3 weeks, 3 days ago

Potential new appliance for my truck

Looks great. But I already kaboomed one of my 1500w inverters with a 1500w appliance. Didn't even think about startup draw.

That thing won't play well with Primes inverters.

Posted:  3 weeks, 6 days ago

5:45 hours gained

Can't use PC to drive to a your companies terminal.

Posted:  3 weeks, 6 days ago

Tankers

Both Schneider and Prime have CDL training programs and have tanker fleets.

I believe Schneider has a more diverse tanker operation, hauling both hazardous and non-hazardous tanker loads.

Primes tanker fleets is 100% food grade.

It is not really recommended to start it with zero experience driving a tanker as they are more difficult to handle. But I know Prime will put you in a tanker right out of CDL training if that's what you want. Not sure if Schneider is the same.

Posted:  4 weeks ago

Bridge

44k in the box plus the weight of the tractor and trailer will just almost max out my Truck. Definitely would be above 37 tons.

I went over that bridge last week. Saw that sign and for a moment was cussing the positioning of the sign. I happened to be 36 tons gross but that sign was so badly positioned you had nowhere to go if you were over weight except over the bridge.

(Hey, Donna. Did you catch that the warning mentioned Tons and your scale ticket is in pounds?)

Your 44,000 pounds is 22 tons, so you're way under the new bridge limit. But praying never hurts. :-)

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Automatics?

Which trucks have the best automatics is a very subjective question. To further complicate that their are different types of automatics.

Many driver's who think they are driving an automatic, are actually driving an automated manual. They are different.

Many of the large carriers have started moving away from manual transmissions. I know in Primes fleet most of the trucks are auto, but there are still some older trucks with manuals who's driver's are also trainers.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

CB tips

Channel 19 is where driver's are by default. Sometimes if im behind an oversized truck with pilot cars and I don't hear them talking on 19, I'll put my CB on scan and find their channel to listen. The lead pilot car gives it a lot of useful information.

Turning your squelch down will allow you to hear driver's much further away, but you will be listening to constant background noise. Turn your squelch up to get rid of that background noise, and you'll only be able to hear driver's that are in very close proximity to you.

The term "Good Buddy" nowadays has become a very derogatory term. Do not use it.

You have a very good radio. I have the 980 which is the same radio but with Single Side Band functionality. SSB is very very rarely used.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Pre-trip Question

Im assuming that your referring to both pre and post trips? It seriously could be anything. Especially when your switching equipment often such as drop/hooking trailers or slip seating tractors. I've had this tractor about 1.5 years and have pulled hundreds of different trailers.

Many tire issues found when picking up trailers, many many many tire issues. Many light issues on trailers, so many. Trailer axle seals leaking. Trailers have had broken crossmembers and broken frame rails. Holes in interior and exterior walls. Damaged trailer tails or damaged trailer doors. Plenty of air leaks from trailer air lines, air bags, or brake chambers. Trailer landing gear busted. Trailer tandem release actuators broken or missing bolts. Trailer having not had it's yearly inspection or registration is missing. Refrigeration unit not functioning properly or at all.

Tractor has had 2 headlights go out. Found a good half dozen nails or screws in tractor drive tires. Alternator wasn't secured properly from the factory. Had a bad belt tensioner, and found my engine belt started shredding. My trainers truck developed coolant leaks on several occasions, my truck has not. Shock absorber on steer axle started leaking. Had to get my truck to trailer air lines replaced. Found that they had started hanging to low and were rubbing on my tire chain rack while vehicle in motion. Had worn the outer coating of the air line off.

Many of the above tire issues were found mid-trip. I always do a quick walk around everytime I stop, and have plenty of times found a tire that started losing its tread or an axle seal that started leaking.

This is just off the top of my head. You can find anything wrong at any time.

Everyone's experiences will vary.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Hazmat Endorsement

Just another reassurance.

I also used the high road hazmat section to study, nothing else. Had zero issue passing my hazmat on first try.

I took my CDL and birth certificate to a tsa location as a walk in. They got me in for my interview by that afternoon. Was only 5-10 minute interview. Once my letter came in the mail I went to local DMV and took the hazmat test. Had my new hazmat endorsement in hand that day.

One thing I learned pulling my first hazmat load...bring extra placards. I luckily asked for two extra "just in case" before I left my shipper. One of my trailers placard brackets was bad and I lost 2 placards in transit. Ended up stopping at the last truck stop before every weigh station just to make sure I hadn't lost another placard.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Still struggling to understand HOS

In my 2 years at Prime I've had my logs audited by DoT three times. Never was I found in violation of anything. Since the beginning I've always logged my pretrip off duty as Prime taught me to. None of the DoT officers had any issue with it. One particular officer spent a very long time going over every line and edit my trainer and I had made. He had zero issue with off duty pre-trips. I would think that with a fleet of 8000+ driver's being periodically audited this would have emerged as a problem by now, if it was one.

You are required to perform a full inspection at the completion of your day. This is why Prime has us log our post-trip on duty. Before driving you must be satisfied that your vehicle is in safe working condition. This is why we log roughly 15 minutes of off duty pre-trip to show a start of day "walk around".

Some companies have different policies when it comes to logs. Some error on the side of caution, like those that forbid the use of 8/2 splits. How about we just log our logs the way our company wants them logged, and not give others grief for following our companys policies?

0413056001569805986.jpg0739226001569806056.jpg

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Still struggling to understand HOS

You can log a maximum of 70hrs working during a rolling 8 day period. So whatever time you spent working 8 days ago, you get that time back.

Working on recaps means each day I'm working with that time I've "recapped" from what I worked 8 days ago.

You are still bound by the 14hr on duty and 11hr drive time restrictions.

So recaps are something that can help extend your drive time, if you needed it.?

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Still struggling to understand HOS

What Donna stated is pretty much what the logs advisors at Prime have told me as well. They have explained that while we must log time for both pre and post trips, only one of the inspection periods must be on duty. They claim they have discussed and verified this policy with DoT. Therefore they recommend at least 15 minutes of off duty time at the beginning of our day for pretrip, as this will not start our 14 hour clock. Then approximately 10-15 minutes of on duty time for post trip at the end of your shift, since you can go over your 14 with this on duty not driving status without going into violation. Advised not to log under 10 minutes of inspection time as this is entering competition truck driving championships inspection times. DoT may ask you to demonstrate a sub 10 minute full truck inspection if they see a pattern of short inspection times.

All the above is coming from the logs classes I've attended at Prime.

Donna, there's considerable debate on this topic. You stated this...

I always take 15 minutes off duty at the beginning for a pretrip and 10 minutes on duty at the end for post trip.

I'm assuming you meant "on duty" for your pre-trip inspection.

As far as I know, there's not a particular time required by the FMCSA rules that you are required to log for these inspections. It's generally accepted that you allow a minimum of fifteen minutes for your pre-trip inspection. It's tough to convince an officer that you did a thorough inspection in five minutes. Some people don't log a post trip inspection and never seem to have any issues when they go through an inspection with an officer. Others insist it must be logged. I am not aware of any FMCSA rule requiring it.

If your company has a policy on this you should go with what they say.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Qualcomm DOT -12:40

8 hours of uninterrupted sleeper is used to pause your 14 hour clock. Most often it is used in combination with a prior or later 2 hour off duty break to complete an 8/2 split.

8 hours of sleeper has nothing to do with a straight 10 hour break.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Qualcomm DOT -12:40

Building on what Turtle said.

If DoT inspects your logs and sees your logging sleeper for every moment your not fueling or on duty, they could easily pick you apart. "Driver do you not shower? Go to the bathroom? Go buy food? Ever set foot outside your truck for any not work related reason?" You are technically falsifying your logs by only logging sleeper time. And they can ticket you for that.

My logs auditor advises logging at the bare minimum 5-10 minutes of off duty time at the end of your day before you go into the sleeper. This time accounts for personal needs such as using the restroom or going inside a truck stop for any reason. The same goes for the beginning of your day. Your a human being, not a robot, and your logs should reflect that. A DoT officer can easily pick you apart if you pattern log or don't show any off duty time.

Without that off duty time, your telling DoT that you never leave your truck...ever.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Unwritten Trucker Pro-Tips (Feat. Kearsey)

Being near the ideal viewing area is very different from bring in the path of totality. I was in an area that was at about 95% totality and like you, it only darkened slightly for 15 minutes. In the area of totality it got dark as night. It's amazing that just 5% sunlight can still light up the day so much.

Packrat thinks a once-in-a-lifetime natural event is just another football game:

One example I can think of is the total solar eclipse a couple years ago. Cars along the optimal viewing area were everywhere stopped, or driving distracted.

You were driving though the total solar eclipse? My brain is exploding. (but that's just me.) wtf-2.gif

I was in Indiana on I-65, supposedly near an ideal viewing area. From what I observed, it barely darkened for about 15 minutes. I wasn't very impressed, considering the weeks of media hype leading up to it.

I've seen much more visually impressive events at sea around the world in the USN.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Newbie problems with trip planning..

I like to calculate estimated drive time to my delivery. Then look at how many total hours between now and my delivery appt. Subtract my drive time from the total time and now I'm left with total amount of time I can spend parked. Now I'll divide that by 10 to see how many 10 hour breaks I could fit in, plus any spare hours.

Now you can break those numbers up and move them around to see how many hours a day you need to drive and how many breaks you'll be taking. Once you know about how many hours a day you'll be driving you can plan out where you want to stop and at what time.

I usually do the math on a pocket notepad so I can visualize and double check my planned use of hours.

You may want to shut down sooner one day if your going to hit a city at rush hour, and get an early start to cover that ground next shift when traffic is better. Or if you in an area where parking is competitive, definitely shut down early if you can. I once spent 4 hours hopping from truck stop to truck stop to rest area until I finally found a dirt lot behind a gas station. That was I64 and I77 through WV and VA late at night.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

My logs are a mess

Tell me about it...

Prime is switching I believe 10 fleets a week over a 10 week period over to ELD. Those who haven't been switched over yet are running AOBRD with restrictions that mimic ELD.

This was my log the first day we switched to the new restrictions with the 5mph drive line rule. I did 11 deliveries that day.

My fleet switches over to ELD in just over two weeks.

0081511001569001440.jpg