Comments By PlanB

• PlanB
  • 2 years ago
  • Comments:

Posted:  3 months ago

Why when I back.

I do that all the time.

Without a truck next to me for reference I'll stop where I think I just barely have enough room to open the doors before backing to a dock....and I'll actually have like 20+ feet.

I'd rather be stopping to soon than to late...

Not worried about it.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Just when you think you got it down

If you didn't hit anything, that's a success. We all have our good days and not so good.

I've nailed docks in the first try with no pullups that I thought I was never going to be able to get into.

On the other hand I've had to abort, go around the lot and re-setup my approach 3 or more times on spots that I didn't think would be challenging at all.

You got it done, that's the only thing that matters

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Are Drop And Hooks Really Any Better Than Live Loads? - article by Rainy

A side note to my above pictures. Obviously the tire recap being half missing was easy to spot. But as I was checking out the tire I heard the faint sound of air leaking somewhere under the center of the trailer tandems. At first I couldn't locate the leak so I started shaking all the air lines and running my hand all over listening for variations in the leak. That thinner cable was resting perfectly over the hole in the air line muffling the leaking sound. It appears that over time friction from the cable had worn a significant hole in the brake chamber air line.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Are Drop And Hooks Really Any Better Than Live Loads? - article by Rainy

Am currently experiencing a a perfect example of what Rainy talked about.

I just dropped a shiny, clean , fully fueled , nearly brand new trailer at this shipper.

As I'm pretripping the preloaded trailer I'm picking up, I discover a couple glaring issues.

0041934001560457484.jpg0317019001560457537.jpg

Someone clearly left their problems for some other driver to deal with, and Im the lucky driver that inherited the problems.

The joys of drop/hook...

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Are Drop And Hooks Really Any Better Than Live Loads? - article by Rainy

"One thing I hate about swapping trailers is when you need to give up a great trailer for a poor one. Our trailer numbers reflect the year of the trailer, and the older trailers often wind up with issues - tandem sliding issues, brake issues, tire issues. The older the trailer the more damage they have from road salt in the winter."

I can't express how much it pains me to drop a brand new shiny 2020 trailer and pickup a 2014 trailer that appears to be held together by rust.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Prime PSD training, from a trainer's perspective.

I still keep in touch with my trainer and a while back he told me a funny story similar to Turtles.

After I got off his truck he was paired up with a young female student. At some point she needed some home time while he ran solo. He was waiting at a truck stop in her home town one evening waiting for her to be dropped back off at the truck so they could get back on the road. He was sitting in the driver's seat waiting when a vehicle pulled up infront of his truck and a female occupant waved to him. In the poor light he assumed it was his student and waved back, then unlocked the doors. The female jumped up in the passenger seat and began undoing her shirt. He then realised this was not his student... He said he was so caught off guard he could barely come up with the words to tell her to stop and leave. She then started asking for some gas money at least. He threw a $20 bill at her and said to take it and please go.

Probably the easiest $20 she made

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Birthday Today

Happy birthday.

Mine was a week ago and I also spent it on the road.

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

Concealed carry permit, reciprocation.

Once again?

That was your first post in your own thread that had more than one word in it.

Once again I am not asking if I should or would be able to carry a gun. I do not and will not carry on my truck. I wish you could edit or delete post's on this forum.

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

Concealed carry permit, reciprocation.

Most major carriers do not permit firearms in their trucks. I see you work for Swift, and I'm fairly certain they are among those that ban them. If you get dispatched into a state like NJ with insane anti gun laws, you could find yourself in some seriously hot water. Further more many customers ban firearms on their property.

I'd plan to use alternate tools for self defence.

While I agree with most of what Old School said, I don't agree with the last paragraph. Just because nothing had happened to you yet, doesn't mean it never will. Everyone feels a sense of complicit safely until the day they become the victim. Nearly everyday I'm somewhere ive never been before, and have no clue who or what is around. Plenty of news stories of truckers getting robbed or attacked inside truck stops. It's not the truckers I'm worried about, it's the locals.

I also have never been attacked, but...Just a day before I boarded the bus to come to Prime I was with my wife and two daughters (1 and 3 years old at the time) in the parking lot of a business in broad daylight. I never saw the guy coming, but suddenly I was confronted by a man demanding money. His tune quickly changed to "Hey it's all good Bro!", as he ran away, once he realised I had a 9mm pointed at his gut.

Thankfully I can still say I haven't been "attacked".

I don't carry a gun on my truck, but I always have something with me that can effectively be used in defence.

Posted:  4 months ago

Prime Inc TNT students will see increased mileage requirements in training

PSD is Prime Student Driver. Student with a permit driving the truck with a CDL instructor in the passenger seat. They get acclimated to the truck and practice pretrip inspections. After a couple weeks they come back to Prime to test for their CDL.

TNT is Trainer and Trainee. After getting your cdl the newly hired trainee with their fresh off the press cdl is sent out with a trainer to team drive for 30k miles (50k staring in June). This is when they learn the bulk of what they need to know to run their own truck.

Posted:  4 months ago

I hit a deer this morning

I was just a few miles from my delivery @ Walmart DC in Pottsville PA this morning when a large black bear bolted out in front of me. I just hung on tight and braced for impact.

Luckily the bear add adequate motivation and just barely got out of the way. If bear had a long tail I probably would have clipped this ones off with the deer guard.

Then a mile later just before the exit a damn deer did the same thing, with slightly more clearance this time but still to close for comfort.

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

New Cascadia issues

My 2019 Cascadia did the same thing for a long time. The APU would kick on and the 4-way flashers would come on simultaneously. I'd open one of the doors and the 4-ways would kick on again. On home time part of my morning routine became going outside and turning the 4-ways off that had come on overnight.

Eventually my APU stopped working. It's main circuit board had gone bad and it was unable to engage the APUs cooling fan. So even in zero degree weather my APU would overheat and shut down.

Once that circuit board was replaced the truck stopped tripping the 4-way flashers. The mechanics had no clue what would trip the 4-ways, but I'm assuming it was caused by or signaling some kind of electrical fault.

Just a guess.

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

Swinging Doors

Yes I was scratching my head when I saw it up there also. The only thing that load lock did was prevent me from closing the doors. I ended up taking it out moments after taking that picture.

That load lock in the picture looks pretty useless!

rofl-1.gif

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

Swinging Doors

I just waited 7 hours in a dock while a Walmart load was being floor loaded. At least this is a drop/hook at the other end...

0183984001556917241.jpg

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

Reefer Question

The only times I've had to worry about moisture in my trailer is before picking up dry loads like paper products, or for floor loads where they are stacking boxes of product right on the floor and against the trailer walls.

Plenty of times I've started precooling to -10 or -20 right after pulling forward out of a wash bay with water still draining out of the trailer. Never have had a problem.

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

'Bug' permits now required for four eastern states

The Prime video reminds me of Starship Troopers propaganda scenes. Swat, Smash and Scrape those bugs! We're at war with the bugs! Kill'm All!!

Apologies, momentary laps there.

rofl-3.gif

LoL Don't apologise!

Thank you for sharing!

At least now I know I'm not the only one with that same thought!

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

'Bug' permits now required for four eastern states

Just to be safe I exported a copy of that permit to my email and saved it on my phone. My luck the one time I'll be asked to produce the digital copy of that permit I won't have any phone signal.

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

Truck Crash Colorado - With Videos

Apparently this happened the next day also on I70 West of Denver. Except this time the driver got to an escape ramp.

Runaway Truck

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

Truck Crash Colorado - With Videos

No such thing as overly cautious. Your doing the right thing.

My personal goal is to never need to touch the service brake on a decent. I get my speed under control at the top of the hill and decend with engine break only. Ignore all those other fools bombing the hill, they'll never be able to stop or slow if there's a problem ahead. You've got your rig completely under control.

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

Wal Mart Parking

Until your the next guy to park in that spot.

I once parked at the Atlanta Petro and thankfully I looked down before I stepped out of my truck. I had run over someone's turd and it was smeared all over the ground under my step.

“Snitches get Stiches. *****es get Switches” As one who Dealt with waking up to find the trainers’ random “questionable Bottle of fluid” normally in a cupholder near where I slept, Yeah it’s sucks.... but Deal with it. We all deal with it.

If your ****tin’ under your trailer, it’s not my business. I only can control myself... I hold myself to a higher standard; Choose to poop in a receptical as were humans that have invented Fire & Toilets. I just don’t have the time to “Give a 💩Poop” if another driver is “dropping a load” under his trailer. As long as it ain’t my trailer.