Comments By PlanB

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0878733001522375067-74842.jpg avatar
  • PlanB
  • 1 year, 9 months ago
  • Comments:

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Truck Crash Colorado - With Videos

Apparently this happened the next day also on I70 West of Denver. Except this time the driver got to an escape ramp.

Runaway Truck

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Truck Crash Colorado - With Videos

No such thing as overly cautious. Your doing the right thing.

My personal goal is to never need to touch the service brake on a decent. I get my speed under control at the top of the hill and decend with engine break only. Ignore all those other fools bombing the hill, they'll never be able to stop or slow if there's a problem ahead. You've got your rig completely under control.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Wal Mart Parking

Until your the next guy to park in that spot.

I once parked at the Atlanta Petro and thankfully I looked down before I stepped out of my truck. I had run over someone's turd and it was smeared all over the ground under my step.

“Snitches get Stiches. *****es get Switches” As one who Dealt with waking up to find the trainers’ random “questionable Bottle of fluid” normally in a cupholder near where I slept, Yeah it’s sucks.... but Deal with it. We all deal with it.

If your ****tin’ under your trailer, it’s not my business. I only can control myself... I hold myself to a higher standard; Choose to poop in a receptical as were humans that have invented Fire & Toilets. I just don’t have the time to “Give a 💩Poop” if another driver is “dropping a load” under his trailer. As long as it ain’t my trailer.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Walmart Pickup Is Awesome

My wife uses this all the time so she doesn't have to pull our 2 daughters out of their car seats and have to keep track of them inside the store.

Just pulls up to the area and they bring the order right out to her and put it in her trunk.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Helpful Equipment For Truckers

On the subject of trailer tandems. I recently had a trailer that suddenly the rear locking pins refused to retract anymore. Usually wacking them with my hammer fixed the problem but these would just pop right back out. I crawled underneath and found that back behind the frame, the bar that pulls the pins back had lost its bolt connecting it to the pin. So as the air pressure sucked the bar in, it had nothing to pull on and the pins just stayed locked in place.

I had an extra cable seal laying around so I used it to reconnect the bar and be able to slide the tandems again.

0248803001556404429.jpg

This worked perfectly and I was fortunate to be able to run the trailer through our terminal in SLC the next day to get it secured properly.

Funny thing was the "quick fix" worked so well that the mechanics didn't think anything was wrong with the trailer and kicked it back out to the yard as "fixed". I dragged the trailer back to them and crawled under with a mechanic to show them the problem.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Truck Crash Colorado - With Videos

Damn, that is how quickly your everyday driving routine can turn catastrophic if your not on top of your game.

Lots of smoke coming off the wheels as he screamed by. Looks like he cooked his brakes trying to get it under control.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

A World Beyond Sprimo

Love the nice easy truck number.

Congrats!

Posted:  1 month, 4 weeks ago

Truck gear

I use a Uniden Bearcat 980 SSB with the internal Cascadia antenna. Usually if I crank up the squelch to filter out all background noise my listening range is limited to less than a mile, sometimes less than 1/2 mile depending on background noise intensity. If I open the squelch up and listen through the background noise I can hear conversations several miles away reliably. Don't know about transmit range, I rarely speak.

I also use a Blue Tiger Elite headset. Very happy with it.

Posted:  1 month, 4 weeks ago

Advice for a newbie

Before I start a blind side I open my sleeper curtains and take down the blind over the sleepers passenger side window. I can then look through the window giving me increased visibility at certain angles. I'll also have my left hand resting on the passenger side mirror adjustment switch, turning it as my truck and trailer angle change to give me the best available viewing angle. These are both helpful, but very narrow fields of view. It is incredibly important to not let your pride prevent you from setting the brakes and climbing out of the tractor to take that 70+ foot walk to the rear to be absolutely certain your not about to hit something.

Posted:  1 month, 4 weeks ago

Tornado

I think it blew away.

Posted:  2 months ago

How Can Truckers Protect Themselves From Being Attacked On The Road? Article by Rainy

Now I know that if a hammer comes through my windshield and I hear a woman screaming fire, to just stay in my bunk. It's just Rainy leading her next victim to the dungeon.

Posted:  2 months ago

First bump in the road

I'm always afraid that's going to happen. If I'm at a pump that has very little room in front to work with, I won't pull up to the line. Id rather have someone get mad at me for sitting in the pump while I go to the restroom, than have my trucks nose tore off.

I don't take long so I haven't had a problem yet. (Always check the kingpin just in case)

Posted:  2 months ago

Orlando Florida

I'm delivering in Orlando Friday morning. Can't say I'm looking forward to it.

Posted:  2 months ago

Prime ?

She prefers them to the rear when maneuvering in tight spaces. Especially fuel islands.

Posted:  2 months ago

I found out the secret

I've found my Qualcomm to actually be very accurate.

Tested many times by filling my tank and then at my next fuel stop filling it again. I compare how much fuel I was able to take on against how much fuel the Qualcomm says I burned. They are always under 1 gallon of each other.

Uh, don’t believe that computer or any dash gauge.

Posted:  2 months ago

I found out the secret

I'll raise ya one.

KY to TX hauling beverage artificial flavors and additives.

0524099001555257711.jpg

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Tight Situation

Back in half way so the landing gear is still accessible. Crank landing gear down till it touches ground, then back up a turn or two so it is slightly off the ground and secure the crank handle. Now slowly back the trailer all the way into the spot. Once your in the spot, dump the tractor air bags and allow them to fully deflate. The landing gear should be sitting on the ground now and all you have to do is disconnect your hoses and release kingpin.

This will also make it easier on the driver who picks up the trailer. Backing under the trailer will pick it up off the ground sightly and allow them to just hook hoses and pull it out enough so they have room to crank up the landing gear.

That yard is always ridiculously tight.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

You might be a trucker if......

For me it's the engine break.

My wife always make fun of me when I'm driving our car and come up on a stop or slowed traffic. I always reach down and turn on the windshield wipers...because they are where my engine break would be on the truck!

Attempting to pull the air-horn ripcord and soon realize that you are not driving your truck, but your personal vehicle.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Still finishing up

Tractor man if you look at the previous posts, yours included, you'll see a little book icon next to the acronyms PSD and TNT. Tap or click on that little icon a detailed explanation will pop up.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Well, my rookie mistake finally happened

The Story Splitter is taking about

My post telling that story is like the 3rd post down.

One quick story that I read in here was a guy that got on the highway going in the wrong direction & when he realized his mistake only compounded the situation by trying to make a uturn on the grass & had to get towed. Had the road shutdown for hours. If he'd pulled over & checked his Google maps, he'd have seen there was a crossover lane just up the road.