Profile For Grandma Day

Grandma Day's Info

Angier , NC

Company Driver In Training

1 year, 5 months ago

Grandma Day's Bio

I am a retired Paramedic and Firefighter. However, had no retirement. I have been having problems finding a new nitch in life. Finally decided to no longer allow my fear to hold me back. I am going for it and I will make it.

Posted:  9 months, 3 weeks ago

Let's put some faces to names

Rainy Doing good getting used to trying to find a routine. I have a pleasant trainer in tanker. He only has 7 months experience. I have actually taught him a thing or 2. His way is not necessarily the way I will do things when on my own. But together we are getting it done.

Posted:  9 months, 3 weeks ago

Let's put some faces to names

Not smart enough to figure out how to attach photo but that is me Up there 👆. Not quite looking like that right now in TNT. 😂😂

Posted:  10 months, 1 week ago

TNT Prime

Do I need to bring my green book and atlas.

Do you trainers prefer your students to have a sleeping bag or sheets?

Trying to down size my packing. I have a hard bottom duffle. Backpack and shower caddy. Then the sleepingbag and pillow in a vacuum bag.

Posted:  10 months, 1 week ago

Prime peeps

Reyn, Thank you for your post. It made me feel a bit better. I was the same in school. I had never even seen the inside of a big rig. DOT testing was fine for me, maybe not always pretty. The school side also have there whole series of testing and their standards where quite a bit higher than DOT. There were times I wanted to run out of the truck but I didn’t but I kept all my “cookies” down. 😂😂

It’s just seems forever ago since I drove. Maybe a month and a half that I am afraid I may have forgotten how to shift. Hopefully, it will come back. I have drove an automatic a couple times since but that obviously had nothing to do with me shifting.

I am excited. Thank you to all the members here at TT.

Posted:  10 months, 1 week ago

Prime peeps

Grandma

Are you planning on doing a diary?

I am not going to commit to one right now. This happened so fast I am still trying to wrap my mind around it. But once I get there I will evaluate the pace. If I am able I will. I know it will be helpful to others.

I am thinking of renting a car and driving rather than taking the bus. I think I would be better rested if I can pull it off.

Posted:  10 months, 1 week ago

Prime peeps

Thank you all for your responses. I have the information now. There was just a delay.

Well I am looking forward to being in PA on Monday. Not so much the bus ride. Off to the next chapter of what I consider the worlds longest interview. I have so much to learn and absorb.

Posted:  10 months, 1 week ago

Prime peeps

So I just received a message from recruiter asking if I am ready to go for Monday in PA.

The problem.....is I have not received or talked other than via phone message any information about what to expect. Ie, length of time I will be gone, what I need to bring. She literally just asked if I have tanker endorsement then said Monday in PA. No company information given.

Posted:  10 months, 2 weeks ago

Prime

Thank you all for your replies.

40k does seem a long time but what I have a whole total of driving a semi like 28 times. I am sure that 40k is needed. It sounds daunting and a bit intimidating but in reality it’s an extension of my learning. Of course, as a noob I have my healthy fears and some humorous ones as well, like accidentally passing gas, what if I got to go right now, what if I forget everything (as little as it is) I have learned. 😂😂😂

As far as when I want to start, well I guess that is up to Prime. The sooner the better. Maybe I could be sucked into Rainy’s Dungeon. 😂😂😂 I would think I was learning from a celebrity of TT.

Thanks for the thought about flying. If this happens I will check what Raleigh/Durham had to offer. A thousand miles on a Grayhound sounds like hell on earth. But on that note could I drive my own car?

It is sounding like everyone is in agreement that tanker should be down the road. The recruiter said I had to have my tanker. I do have tanker, twins, as soon as my paperwork comes in I will test for my hazmat, and my TWIC is in the mail on it’s way.

I am waiting for a certified copy of my birth certificate as it appears that after 48 years the copy I have is no longer a legal document as it can be duplicated. It is in the mail. I saw many companies want this thank goodness I went to get my TSA screening as that is how I found out about the rule change on New Mexico’s birth certificates. They were able to pull it up but not issue me a copy.

I will keep ya’ll updated snd again thank you.

Posted:  10 months, 2 weeks ago

Prime

I have placed an application with Prime. I have an application in with another tanker company but after a month the TM is saying there is a hang up with HR whether or not I am in the hiring area.

I am a recent Graduate and know I need to be hired within 90 days.

I have heard great things about Prime from an old family friend. I placed on the application undecided on division. Tammy in recruiting has started running repots.

Can you all give me some realistic advice on training at Prime as a new driver?

I am going in this industry as a total noob and know I have barely a pin point of information in my education. I have so much to learn and not a disillusion otherwise.

Any information, criticism, or advice welcomed.

Posted:  10 months, 4 weeks ago

Beauty on the road ladies

shocked.png

Yeah the shewee would take talents I don’t have.

Posted:  10 months, 4 weeks ago

Beauty on the road ladies

Love this keep em coming. I am about to hit the road soon. Need real info from the lady and men truckers in subjects not normally talked about. Of course I can’t pee in a bottle in an emergency.

Posted:  11 months, 1 week ago

Rookie driver medical question

What type of heart pump? I am more curious than anything. I don’t know of a heart pump. If it was a pacemaker then yes you can drive with approval from Cardiologist (obviously that’s a blanket statement not knowing your history or medications) but if a defibrillator was also attached (many are 2 in 1) then no you can not drive. But only your doctors can determine if you are healthy enough to drive.

Posted:  11 months, 2 weeks ago

Sexism In Trucking From A Woman's Perspective

Rainy that was impressive. Sounds like we have alot of the same qualities. I have worked in a male dominated field my entire life. It still amazes me the female “victims” out there. I will be starting my trucking career very soon. I meet with my Terminal Manger Tues. Kudos to you Rainy.

Posted:  11 months, 3 weeks ago

Well I did it!!!

I officially graduated today from NC Truck Driver Training School today. Now I can begin my new journey.

Posted:  12 months ago

Got it today!!!

Congratulations!

dancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gif

I've been kind of wondering what was up with you. I'm really glad to hear of your success! What happens next?

I still have 2 weeks left in school. Our school is ran a bit different. We actually get our CDL after pre trip, skills test but we then we go through a pretty challenging qualification for the school having to qualify on a 9 speed with one instructor then qualify on a 10 speed with another instructor. Only then can we DOT road test. We then get our CDL license.

Now our school is one of very few schools that allow students to start solo driving (with another student with CDL). Now we will have the school side of skill testing to obtain our school certificate.

It’s taken me awhile to figure out what route I wanted to do as far as hauling. I have decided not to do flatbed and really have little interest in refrigeration.

I want to do tanker. Dry van is an option as well.

I would really like to be involved in relief help but have no idea if there are companies that specialize in such.

Posted:  1 year ago

Got it today!!!

I am officially a CDL A holder as of today. It’s been a long road but persistence pays off.

Posted:  1 year ago

McElroy Truck Lines Orientation

I look forward to reading the rest of you journey.

Posted:  1 year ago

TMC CDL Program

Very nice diary. It has been a good read. I would love to hear about your on the road training. The good and the bad. I feel this will be the most challenging part of the whole process. Hope things are going well.

Posted:  1 year ago

Community College CDL Training

I am also in NC. In a school program. I wish you the best of luck. Where are you?

Posted:  1 year ago

Changed Handle

FYI I changed my handle. I am in school obtaining my CDL. The class calls me Grandma and it has stuck. Not because I am slow but because I am older. I am the second oldest in the class. I have become a life mentor to many classmates. They wanted to call me Mom but I said no to that. I said as a Grandma I could enjoy their company, give advise but I am not their Mom, Grandma’s can kick their butts home. 😂😂😂