Comments By Grandma Day

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0956335001524871065-74970.jpg avatar

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

@Turtle

If you have a chance before appointment lay on your left side for awhile this hits the vagus nerve and lowers BP.

Also, again if you have a chance take a hot shower this vasodiolates your vessels lowering BP.

This is not a replacement for proper medical treatment or healthy life style.

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

2 Year On Time Delivery Award

dancing-dog.gifdancing-dog.gifdancing-dog.gif

Congrats!!!! Job well done.

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

Tell us a little about yourself

If you could change one thing about yourself and trucking what would it be?

i'd look like a model lol would get more help from guys

What are your hobbies while on and off the road?

Share one thing about yourself ( your choice).

just one? im insane so dont listen to me

Wishing everyone a safe and fulfilling New Year!!!

You are absolutely beautiful so hush!!!

We all have to be a little crazy, right?

I love reading your posts.

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

Tell us a little about yourself

Tell us a little about yourself.

Where do you live?

With what company do you work?

How long have you been at current job?

How long have you been trucking?

What division do you work?

What is something you like about your job other than the paycheck?

What is something you dislike about your job?

Are you a “home time” person or is it not all that important to you?

If you could change one thing about yourself and trucking what would it be?

What do you find most pleasing about trucking?

What are your hobbies while on and off the road?

Share one thing about yourself ( your choice).

Wishing everyone a safe and fulfilling New Year!!!

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

Any female flatbed haulers here

This site is just simply amazing. Thank you all for all the advice. Thank you to the moderators and administration for taking your time to help new drivers out. Maybe one day I will have enough knowledge to help others.

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

Any female flatbed haulers here

Thank you for all the replies.

I have not definitely made up my mind. I am also considering dry van as refer really does not appeal to me.

I am aware of the set backs of being a female in a male dominated field. I have encountered this my whole life. Even have experienced diversity during schooling.

As far as TMC they have a grand total of 2 females and as the recruiter stated “they have more facial hair than the guys”. I did take note of the underhanded statement since I am a feminine looking female. He stated they wanted more female but didn’t know how to recruit them. This comment was also noted.

But in the grand scheme of things I should probably focus on getting experience under my belt and feel confident in the daily job before adding additional challenges.

I have time to get prehires from different companies and hauls.

Again, thank you all for commenting and being honest. Keep the advice coming.

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

Any female flatbed haulers here

Thank you both for responding. I do have an itch to do flatbed it’s just appealing to me. I know it is not for everyone but I won’t know if I don’t try. If I don’t I would always wonder if I could have. TMC recruitment said just email them a video of me lifting 100 pounds up to my shoulder. Trying to figure out something to substitute a tarp for the video. I have a bit before I finish school actually until March as I am having to start over at the school next class as I had some issues that caused me to have to leave before qualifying. Already have DOT pre trip and skills testing under my belt and on file so I won’t have to repeat those I just need to road test.

I will check out Little Syster’s post. Thank you.

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

Any female flatbed haulers here

Was wondering if there were any women flatbed haulers on this site.

I am considering this option.

From anybody doing flat bed how often do you actually have to carry the tarps to the top of the load?

Posted:  1 year, 11 months ago

My GYCDL training experience at Roehl

Any updates. I would be interested in your experience from the beginning to current. I just completed the application. Wondering what to expect if accepted.

Posted:  1 year, 11 months ago

Nervous about Roadmaster

I am currently (well until yesterday) at JCC. They do not have any automatic trucks. All 9 speed and 10 speed.

Posted:  2 years ago

Free kindle ebooks & audiobooks

I would love an audible code. Thanks for sharing your gift to write.

Posted:  2 years ago

Johnston Community College in NC TDT starts tomorrow.

10/22/17 Getting prepared for my first day of schooling tomorrow. Here is to 8 weeks of training. We will be going Monday thru Friday 7a-6p.

Been getting a couple supplies together. It just kinda dawned on me I have decided to do this during the winter months. Of course in the south it was almost 80 degrees today. But cool weather will set in soon so I did go and buy a jacket (I actually don't own one) and some long sleeve shirts. The post menopausal women will understand the lack of need of such things. Lol

Some background on me: I am 47 and female. I spent 25 years in healthcare 21 years being a Paramedic and Volunteer Firefighter for about 3 years. I transitioned to office setting healthcare then hospital healthcare. I ended up with some medical issues (recovered now) but because of time taken off earlier in the year from the death of my husband my FMLA ran out so I had to resign.

Since I have been struggling with a new niche in life. I did remarry in March of this year. I have tried a little of this and a little of than but non has filled my heart or excited me. I have thought about trucking for many years but always talked myself out if it thinking I am too old, I am a female, ect. Finally, with my husband's support I am putting all those negative thoughts out of my head because frankly when I put my mind to it I can do anything.

So here is to new beginnings and bye to self negativity.

Any advice welcomed.

Posted:  2 years ago

Company sponsored training. Time from beginning of training to solo

Thank you all!! Keep it coming.

People tend to believe they'll have a lot more options for choosing a company than they actually will. There isn't going to be 30 companies who will offer you a position. It will more than likely only be a handful

This is exactly what I started thinking about with the research here on this site. Which got me thinking, if I have OTR training for at least a 6 weeks if not more with a trainer until solo then maybe its may make more since to go company sponsored. In the diaries I don't see many taking 2 months to hit the road with a trainer.

I have enough (just) for private schooling which appears to be much cheaper than what companies quote as payback but that is not my focus. I want to learn the industry. I look at training the same as my training in my Paramedic career. Book learning and clinicals are a knowledge base but is in no way the reality of the actual job.

I would love to be OTR one day but I have to acknowledge I have someone at home that loves me and I will also respect that. However he has no income right now so I have to factor that in as well. He is currently starting a business but we all know that takes time.

I have been looking at many companies (honestly the more I look the more confused I get).

An established company (A must) Home time. (A must) Ride alongs (A must) Pets (A want)

I saw Roehl has: HOMEtime Plus™

7/7. Get up to 26 weeks off a year, driving 7 days out with 7 days at home.

7/4-7/3. Average 120 days off each year and get home every other week. Drive for 7 days with 4 days at home, followed by another 7 days with 3 days at home.

14/7. Get high miles and extended home time. Drive 14 days and enjoy 7 off.

But I need to reach out as I am not seeing hiring in my area.

Do other companies have such schedules?

Again you guys and gals are simply wonderful. Fabulous site.

Posted:  2 years ago

Company sponsored training. Time from beginning of training to solo

Sorry, I am still picking your knowledge brains.

As you know I am scheduled to start community college training. But, I keep playing different scenarios in my mind. I want good knowledgeable training. Pay is secondary. I want to learn the industry.

Questions I have been asking myself;

How long is the average company sponsored training from beginning to solo? My schooling will be 8 weeks. That's just getting my CDL A ( already have NC permit and Medical card). No job at end. So ultimately will a company training put me in a better position as far as time training to solo?

After training, and experience I ultimately want to be home a couple days a week here in NC near 95. And frankly ultimately home more in time. I know it decreases pay but time with hubby is important. I obviously need income but need a balance as well. I am fine with that.

I want to a be a reliable and productive employee. I will be dedicated to my job.

If company sponsored is a better choice for my situation what companies would you suggest for my hiring area of I 95 corridor in NC close to Smithfield and Dunn.

I know a specific company is not the deciding factor. It is the effort and performance and proving yourself. But I know you all know the companies that would fit my needs and my area.

Posted:  2 years, 1 month ago

NC hiring area regional routes

In am in Angier. I will be attending Johnston Community College.

What part of Nc ? I’m in the Dunn area. I’m looking to go otr tho. Which school are you attending ?

Posted:  2 years, 1 month ago

NC hiring area regional routes

I only live about 20 minutes from 95. Should have mentioned in this post I am starting school the 23rd it's a 8 week course. Already have CDL permit, medical card, ect. Want to start looking at my options.

Posted:  2 years, 1 month ago

NC hiring area regional routes

Still doing my research. Can you experienced drivers help me out. I am leaning towards regional routes as I am married and reading through this forum and taking with husband sounds like a better option than OTR.

I live in NC close to the Raleigh and Fayetteville area. Would you be so kind as to list companies that may be a good fit? No teams and no flatbeds ;however, would love to believe I could do flatbed but I am 47 and female.

Thanks in advance.

Posted:  2 years, 1 month ago

1 down so many left to go!

dancing-dog.gif

Congrats!!

Posted:  2 years, 1 month ago

Best training diaries

You guys are amazing with the noobs. Always helpful. I am so thankful I came across this site.

Posted:  2 years, 1 month ago

Best training diaries

Yes the best wording on my part was bad for sure. Guess I should said good beginning to end diaries. Notice a lot just drop off.

Thank to you all.