Profile For RealDiehl

RealDiehl's Info

Woodstown, NJ

Rookie Solo Driver

1 year, 3 months ago

RealDiehl's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

RealDiehl's Photo Gallery

Posted:  3 days, 20 hours ago

Encountered today..

I often see them in PA on route 30 near the outlets in Lancaster. It's odd since I usually go through there between 3 and 4am.

You were able to get a great pic!

Posted:  3 days, 20 hours ago

Pop quiz mostly for newbies

Not sure. I have seen on UPS doubles, long bristles covering the area shown in the photo. What are those for anyway?

Posted:  4 days, 23 hours ago

Prime Trucks Paint Jobs

Well, I mentioned turtles...I wasn't calling on YOU specifically but, I guess it makes sense you responded. Lol. Thanks for the info.

Posted:  5 days ago

Prime Trucks Paint Jobs

I saw a Prime truck with a walking turtle and its little turtle tracks painted on it. In fact, I've seen many Prime trucks with unique designs on them. Do drivers get to customize their trucks? Or is it just luck of the draw?

Posted:  5 days ago

Passed permit tests today

Congratulations! I hope you enjoy that wonderful feeling of accomplishment. Remember how it feels to achieve a goal you set for yourself. You'll get the opportunity many times while in school. Use those opportunities to stay motivated. Best of luck!

Posted:  1 week ago

Discussion on Roundabouts

I feel especially proud when someone backs up to give me room at a light, and I stay an inch or two on my side of the yellow. I still thank them, but inside, I'm smiling to myself. :)

Oh, yes! The opposite is also true. Even if I can make the turn easily, if a vehicle is creeping over that white line, I'm grumbling about it to myself. Lol

Posted:  1 week ago

Discussion on Roundabouts

Maybe it's just me but I find it very satisfying to see my tandems tracking a couple inches off the inner edge of a tight circle. One circle I take pretty much every day is one of these. Makes me smile every time.

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

The new article on humility

Man... Flatbed was my goal and while I did do it for a few months I still felt like a failure. Part of that was my pride.

Hey, you went for it, right? That's a win in my book. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

Schneider vs us xpress

Like G-town said. Find out what account they want to put you on. I know U.S. Xpress likes to steer new recruits toward a "dollar" account.

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

OTR eating healthy and economically

I'll tell you exactly what I eat/ate OTR. My local ACME supermarket sells Gatorade protein bars. Sometimes you can get them on sale (10 for $10). That's when I buy several boxes. I also get a few bags of trail mix from Walmart. So I basically eat a protein bar for breakfast. Then I munch on a few handfuls of trail mix throughout the day (you don't need much to get enough calories). If I stop for fuel or take a half hour break at a truck stop (usually Loves), I'll grab some fruit. They usually sell two containers of fruit for $5. When I shut down for the night I'll get some more fruit if I don't have any left from my stop earlier in the day. If I'm not at a truck stop I'll just eat half a protein bar. During a 34hour reset I'll get myself at least one "real" meal. It's very boring and not very satisfying but I find that when I'm OTR and constantly on the move, eating for comfort is not a priority. I just want fuel to keep me going. I don't have a refrigerator or anything to cook food with so my options are very limited.

Oddly enough, since I've been doing this dedicated account I'm home more and exercising more but I'm also eating way more and I've gained about 20 pounds over the past 6 months or so.

Posted:  2 weeks, 6 days ago

New Year, New Moderator!

dancing-banana.gifdancing.gifdancing-banana.gif

Posted:  3 weeks ago

Which companies have actually ACCEPTED you without any immediate

I can't say for certain which companies will accept you without recent verifiable work history. I do know that some companies have stricter policies than others concerning work history. Give U.S. Xpress a call. Their standards for hiring are a little less stringent than some other companies. They accepted me when others would not because of my recent work history. If you've narrowed your choices down to specific companies your best bet is to call them and speak to a recruiter. They should be able to tell you whether or not you meet their hiring requirements. Be honest and provide them with as much info as you can. Good luck, Todd.

Posted:  3 weeks, 2 days ago

About Team Driving

Rainy's latest article, Dispelling The Myths Of Team Driving, was included in the latest Weekend Dispatch.

It got me thinking - and not just thinking about how a person has enough time to be a top-tier driver and manage to write helpful articles too (overachievers are annoying...lol) - How might a new driver avoid being "tricked" into team driving?

When I applied for CDL school I was told I had to check a box saying that I was willing to drive as a team. The first day of school we had to sign a contract saying we would team drive if we finished school AND training before the first of the year.

I knew I had no chance of finishing school and driving with a trainer until well after JAN 1.

After a month with my trainer (February) he received an email telling him to inform me that I would be required to team drive once I upgraded.

I responded to the sender, asking him to show me in the contract I had signed, where it said I would be required to team drive. I never heard back from him.

Luckily, after I upgraded I was given a choice to go solo or team.

So is there anything a potential driver can do to protect his/herself from being forced to team drive? For instance, if a recruiter tells you you will be a solo driver then after upgrading you are told you must team? (this didn't happen to me but I've heard of it happening to others)

Posted:  3 weeks, 4 days ago

It's on, bring it on!

That's wonderful news. Congratulations!

Posted:  3 weeks, 5 days ago

Some info from Prime drivers

Wow! Thanks for the detailed response. I was fairly certain my whole take on the reefer world would be flipped on its head. Right now I only carry prepacked salads, fruits and veg. Never considered freshly killed meats... :(... and beverages. I pictured a dream world of Walmart DC - and similar locations - deliveries. Thanks for opening my eyes. Now it's time to add some "cons" to the list.

If I do decide to go with Prime I plan on making use of the Rainy D. Resource Center, as well as this site's members' collective knowledge.

As always, your time and helpful responses are appreciated.

Posted:  3 weeks, 6 days ago

Some info from Prime drivers

I'm looking into driving for Prime. Here are some reasons why I'd like to make the switch from my current company. (I need someone who drives for Prime to tell me if my reasons are valid or totally off-base)

1) Reefer loads are usually by appointment. There is less waiting to get into a door.

2) Reefer loads are usually loaded/unloaded at places that aren't out in the middle of nowhere and the warehouses are fairly well-organized. No messy yards with trailers scattered all over the place that make navigating the yard and pulling into a door a pain in the neck.

3) I'm guessing/hoping that reefer trailers are better maintained. Less chance of getting a beat up trailer that fails driver's inspection.

4) I imagine that reefer trailers don't disappear...meaning that if you do a drop and hook there will always be an empty trailer available to take. I really don't like driving 100 miles out of the way to hunt down an empty trailer.

5) Prime pays bonuses for fuel and safety. How does that work anyway? Is that a monthly thing? I forgot to ask the recruiter I spoke with.

6) Reefer drivers start at 44cpm...49 for a light-weight truck. What is it like driving a light-weight? Worth it or not?

Like I said, these are some of my reasons. They may very well be misconceptions. I'm counting on the helpful folks here to get the correct info. Thanks!

Posted:  1 month ago

Need advice on going out OTR with a trainer

My trainer would ask me to do things that I didn't immediately understand why. Instead of asking I just did what he told me to do. Usually he'd explain himself after. If he didn't I would ask him about it. Unless you're being asked to do something illegal or unsafe, just do what your trainer asks of you and ask your questions later.

Posted:  1 month ago

Game: Vent & Brag

Vent: other drivers can't seem to resist filling my following distance with their trucks. They pass me just so they can get behind someone else doing the same speed as I am. I don't mind if they have another vehicle on their tail and need to get over to let them pass but, it's annoying when there's no one behind them.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Why I continue to frequent this site (aside from the wealth of information)...

In short...

POSITIVITY and HONESTY.

Everyone who posts on here regularly emanates these traits; and both are a rare commodity these days. The moderators all seem to have a good read on people as far as who is a sincere and positive influence compared to those who are just trolling, dishonest in posts or with themselves, or too negative to be reached. Lastly, there is nothing to be gained by anyone on here aside from the satisfaction of helping another person. I'm not one to often give adulation (especially on the internet), but the regulars on here are certainly deserving.

You're a good group of people, and I'm glad to have found you, even if only through electronic media.

Well said, Aubrey. My feelings exactly.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

No CFI reviews?

Who needs a CFI review when we have our very own CFI ambassador..Big Scott? As Millionmiler suggested, he's your go-to guy.