Profile For RealDiehl

RealDiehl's Info

Woodstown, NJ

Experienced Driver

4 years ago

RealDiehl's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

RealDiehl's Photo Gallery Group 1 of 5

Posted:  2 days, 6 hours ago

Another Round of "Is it legal"

I have somewhat of an issue with the black and white nature of this statement

A good point, Chief. Perhaps I should have added a disclaimer to allow for circumstances when a driver is left without a choice in the matter. Or something like that.

"Or something like that" I'm not even going to try to use legalese to make my reply more precise . I'll just end up coming off as one of those prison philosophers who uses every other word incorrectly🤣

Posted:  2 days, 10 hours ago

Another Round of "Is it legal"

Let me clarify a thing or two. First of all, what Turtle said trumps any dispute whatsover: (to paraphrase) Make sure you have enough room to make the turn in the first place. *Strike one against Mike (me)* It's common sense. Don't go unless you can make the turn. Unfortunately, even those of us who think we possess common sense don't always use it.

Impeding traffic in my situation was not an issue. Traffic was closed from the left bc of the construction and to the right the street led to nowhere but another business. This was not a major road. It was a side street in a city. Regardless, the rule about impeding traffic still applies. *Strike two against Mike*

The original post was an attempt to find out if running over a cone was against the law. I'm glad the forum members were able to discuss and analyze more thoroughly all the factors related to this post. We can all learn a thing or two from respectful discussions surrounding another person's question. Thanks for your input. Please continue if you have more to add.

Posted:  2 days, 12 hours ago

Another Round of "Is it legal"

Your concern and merciful attitude towards those poor, innocent cones is indeed commendable. However, it's better to run over a cone than to impede traffic.

Really? Maybe my concern for the cones has been built up too much from my time spent training students on the pad.

*In this scenario there was no traffic coming from left or right and it was only a three way intersection* But for the sake of your comment concerning impeding traffic we will assume there was traffic moving in all directions.

Posted:  2 days, 13 hours ago

Another Round of "Is it legal"

I was in Jersey City on Friday to deliver a load. I was still with my trainer. Immediately after leaving the consignee we had to make a left turn. There was a construction crew on the left corner on the near side of the road. They had cones set up in the middle of the road. As I turned left I knew my tires were going to take out a cone or two. I had no choice but to turn left bc the street was one way.

I stopped before I hit the cones and prepared to step out of the truck to either move the cones myself or to ask a member of the construction crew to move them until I cleared the turn.

My trainer was telling me to just keep going. "They're only cones", he said. He is a local/city driver. I am not- nor do I want to be. I did not keep going. I set the breaks and prepared to step out. Luckily one of the construction guys saw what I was doing and moved the cones for me before I had to exit the truck.

So what is the law on something like that? Is tearing through some cones illegal? In my mind it is, and even if it isn't, I still think it's incredibly rude to run over a work crew's cones with my tandems.

Thoughts...

Posted:  2 days, 15 hours ago

Wiper blade question

I have yet to find a wiper blade that will effectively clean bugs. I have tried the scrapper blades, Dawn dish soap in the reservoir. The only thing that works is long hard rain or pressure washer.

Yeah, man. Same here. They don't come off easily. If the fuel pumps aren't busy I'll soak the windshield with washer fluid from the bucket before fueling and let it sit on the windshield. When I'm done fueling I'll scrub the windshield with the squeegee. It helps.

Posted:  3 days ago

Wiper blade question

A little tip that I found that helps to make the wipers more effective is to buy wipers 2 inches shorter than the correct size. I put 22 inch blades on my freightliner.

The 24 inch blades, no matter what brand I bought, didn't make firm contact with the entire windshield. The area it didn't fully clear was always right in my line of sight. Using the shorter blades was much better for me.

Posted:  4 days, 6 hours ago

LTL/Doubles Question

I felt a disturbance in the force as someone mentioned LTL!!!

Yep. I sent up the Bat Signal to draw you guys' attention.

Thanks for the reply!

Posted:  4 days, 7 hours ago

Prime inc. 3 questions.

Ah! He has his CDL already. Sorry if I gave you bogus info, Adam. Perhaps they changed things from when I went to Prime as a CDL holder over 2.5 years ago. I did not have to take a road test. I was also a CDL holder with over one year of experience. That might have been why I did not have to take a road test. Not sure.

Thanks for pointing that out, Chief.

Posted:  4 days, 8 hours ago

LTL/Doubles Question

No worries.

Quick explanation:

Our father drove for UPS pulling doubles. Later, after we had grown up he bid on what the UPS drivers at the Philadelphia airport referred to as "the money run". It was a sleeper team run going from Philly to Dallas, TX.

During a recent conversation my brother mentioned something about my father pulling doubles across the country. I told him I didn't think he pulled doubles other than when he was doing the home-every-night (feeder driver) gig. My brother argued that he did. I then proved my ignorance by telling him that I can't remember seeing many, if any, UPS doubles being pulled by sleeper cabs.

Nah...thanks for your honest reply.

Posted:  4 days, 8 hours ago

Prime inc. 3 questions.

To all Prime inc drivers,

I have 3 questions.

1. What’s the orientation road test like?

2. What kind of freight do you haul? Only grocery loads or something else as well?

3. How many miles do you average a week?

Thank you in advance.

1) The answer to the first question is there is no road test during orientation. You will do a little something on the simulator. Just go very slow and you should be fine.

The only "road test" is the one you take for your CDL.

2) Prime hauls all kinds of stuff. Produce/grocery, beef/pork/poultry, beer, ice cream, bath and body works stuff, etc. While most loads are refrigerated/frozen, there are a good amount of "dry" loads that don't require the reefer to be on.

3) That is not easy to answer. Opinions may vary. I'd say that between 2,000 and 2,500 miles a week is a good average.

Posted:  4 days, 8 hours ago

LTL/Doubles Question

Thanks, Rob.

Actually idk if I should thank you. Bc you inadvertently won the argument for my brother...Who knows nothing about trucking by the way😥

wtf-2.gif rofl-3.gif

Posted:  4 days, 9 hours ago

LTL/Doubles Question

I'm trying to settle a question for my brother. He's the type that thinks he knows everything🤣

How often will you find a set of doubles being pulled by a sleeper cab?

Thanks in advance

Posted:  5 days, 1 hour ago

Got my experience OTR...love my new job

Congratulations! Sounds wonderful, sir! Are you transporting several containers a day, making multiple trips? Or is it one long haul and back? Do you get paid hourly?

Posted:  5 days, 14 hours ago

Cowan Systems Info From A New Hire

Good report, man! How were the backing situations, easy or tight?

All were pretty easy. The lots all had plenty of space. Tomorrow we go to Jersey City. I imagine that might be more challenging. But hey, I've been to some pretty tight places with a sleeper, including Jersey City. Should be easier in a day cab.

Posted:  5 days, 14 hours ago

Cowan Systems Info From A New Hire

Training Day One:

Met my trainer at 0400 (I was there at 0330😁) in New Castle, DE for a ride-along. Logged onto the QC, entered my info on the time sheet header, picked up our trailer, then hit the road.

He did most of the driving today. Went first to Sisco foods in Philadelphia for a drop n hook. Then went to Leola, PA for another DnH. Then back to New Castle for a DnH. Finally, went to Federalsburg, MD (I drove down there this time) for one final DnH. Currently on our way back to New Castle. Long day! All hourly, so I'm not complaining.

Spoke with the Ops manager earlier today at New Castle. He apologized for the delay in getting my drug screen results. He said I will be paid for four, 8hr days since I had to wait. Now that's how you take care of your drivers!!! Needless to say the honeymoon period is going splendidly thus far!

Need to go home and sleep immediately since I only slept about 3 hours last night🥱

Posted:  5 days, 22 hours ago

Cowan Systems Info From A New Hire

53%-56% is a decent rate of retention. I believe it's over 75%

The number they gave us is 91%. No wonder companies are constantly hiring!

Posted:  6 days, 14 hours ago

Cowan Systems Info From A New Hire

Turned down a day cab to stay in what I assume is a sleeper truck? You sure you passed that drug test?? rofl-2.gif

But seriously congratulations on starting this new adventure!

Ha! Honestly the local, I guess you'd call them P&D/city routes, was significantly less per hour and required NYC a couple times a week. Plus slip seating does not sound appealing to me. Maybe in the future...with a different company. OD has a place near where I'll be working out of in New Castle, DE. I considered OD. My manual restriction plus the likelihood of being a city driver scared me off.

Posted:  6 days, 16 hours ago

Grey area of is it safe to run or not?

Do you think developing your own rule of thumb might help you make a decision more easily? For example, you could make a decision to NOT drive whenever DOT closes the road to vehicles without snow tires or chains. That gives you a solid reason to base a decision upon. It helps to take some of the guesswork out of it. That's how I did it. That's also what my FM at Prime advised: "If chains are required, just shut it down."

Posted:  6 days, 16 hours ago

Cowan Systems Info From A New Hire

Pre hire: I received a call less than 24hrs after applying. I was offered a local delivery type of position. I turned down that offer. I want to stay out of cities and such. The person I spoke to then made me another offer. It's more of a regional position, but it offered hourly pay, weekends off, and 2 additional nights home during the week.

Once I accepted the offer and my background info checked out, my recruiter was in frequent contact with me during the next several weeks while I was finishing my time OTR with Prime. Sometimes she just texted me to say, "Hi. Have a great day." I thought that was nice.

Orientation: I had orientation in Baltimore with Cowan last Tuesday and Wednesday. I was paid my normal hourly rate ($26/hr) for the 2 days, plus I was paid 56cpm for the drive down since I drove my own vehicle.

Orientation was a little different than what I expected. All of us were experienced drivers. So less time needed to be spent explaining everything. The whole process was efficient.

We had a driver retention specialist from Cowan come in and talk to us. He showed us a chart comparing Cowans driver turnover rate for the past couple years. It is between 53 and 56 per cent. I thought that was high. Every year they have to replace over half their drivers. He then showed us the national average. How much higher do you think the national average is? It's pretty unbelievable.

I should have gone out on a ride along Thursday and Friday, but there was a foul up with my drug screen. They ended up sending me to another facility on Monday to give another urine sample.

Got a call from my FM today. I'll be riding with a "trainer" tomorrow, Friday, and Monday along his local route. Just to learn how Cowan does the non driving related things we need to do everyday. I've been sitting around too long. I'm feeling the itch to get back in a truck and start driving again.

I'll try to post about my experience in order to provide a reference for future drivers who might be interested in Cowan.

Posted:  1 week ago

Need help with TNT Training for Prime

And believe me I'm not saying I deserve trust or anything just because I've done well for a month

I agree. That sounds like a very level-headed assessment of your current skill level. That's good. You should feel that way even after you've completed training.

Where I disagree is with your trainer's demeanor. When I have a student my goal is to correct and encourage good habits, not to criticize. My behavior with a student/trainee should encourage that student to feel comfortable with asking questions and making decisions without being on edge all the time. Driving the truck makes a student nervous enough. A trainer should not make it even worse.

Per Old School:

James I just wouldn't worry about that message your trainer sent in. It's nothing. Nobody is sitting up in that office talking about how lousy you are

Very true. Especially - to put it bluntly - considering this FM has no real interest in your future. You will not be a part of his fleet. Furthermore, he has no clue who your FM will be once you upgrade. Don't allow that to cause you anymore stress.

Per Old School:

There's a much better life waiting on you at the end of this chapter.

Yep...Once you get your company FM you will be starting with a clean slate.

I did tell him I was tired. I mentioned how this load we got wasn't planned, because dispatch had us take a load off a guy who was quitting and would meet us at the reciever, so I had not assumed I would only have a 10 hour rest break to get adequate rest. I had expected about 14-15 hours because that's how its always worked when we get a load with tight timing. We drive for 9 hours, then rest for 10, repeat till delivery. I'd rather do 11/10 but my trainer refuses to drive over 9 hours and wont let me. So, I made a mistake and was only able to sleep for 4 hours in what was going to end up being a 14 hour day.

This kind of thing does happen. You might think you have plenty of time to get to where you need to be the next day. So you stay up for several hrs bc you think you have some time to kill. Then a msg comes in telling you you can delivery your load early. You don't have to deliver early but, if you want to get more driving hrs in (make more money), you will want to deliver early. Your trainer should be calmly explaining these things to you as these types of situations arise. It won't make you less tired but at least it will let you feel more confident that your trainer is aware of your situation. He should also tell you to feel free to find a place (time permitting) to park and rest for a short time if needed. This nonsense of barking orders at you and criticizing you for situations beyond your control is not the proper way to do things, imo.