Profile For RealDiehl

RealDiehl's Info

Woodstown, NJ

Experienced Driver

3 years, 7 months ago

RealDiehl's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

RealDiehl's Photo Gallery Group 1 of 5

Posted:  2 days, 23 hours ago

Prime Inc is disabling Manual Mode on their trucks with the D12 Manual Automatic Transmission !

Noob question: if the manual mode is disabled and you're descending steeper grades in snow or rain w/o jakes, won't it keep trying to shift to higher gears on you as the truck accelerates?

I'd read about making sure to be in the correct gear for the grade from ahead of time to avoid accelerating too fast and burning up the service brakes.

Yes. It will IF you are going too fast as you start down that hill. This is where driving the appropriate speed for conditions is vital. It is all about momentum.

If you begin descending the hill at 50mph (depending on how steep it is), you are going to need to use your service break frequently in order to keep the truck from going too fast. This is dangerous as it could cause the breaks to fade (overheat).

If you begin your descent at 30mph, the truck has less momentum and you will not be required to hit the breaks as often in order to maintain a safe speed. It takes practice and experience to learn the correct speed to descend hills at various weights and speeds, and in various conditions.

Posted:  4 days, 16 hours ago

Like Errol said, you have to reduce speed and then set the engine break. I've found that with a heavy load and a steep grade, the Jake's aren't able to maintain speed over 60mph (with descent control engaged too). There is too much momentum. But, when you use the service break and go below 60, the engine automatically shifts into a lower gear and the RPMs shoot up to the 2300-2400 range.

For me the "sweet spot" is between 50 and 53mph, engine break level 3, and descent control engaged. This works to keep you at a steady speed without hitting the service break at all on most grades 6% or less. Moreover, the RPMs will stay under 2,000.

I'm sure most drivers know that it is important to use the service break initially in order to reduce momentum before applying the Jakes on steep grades. After that, with the cruise set (descent control) you should be able to cruise down a hill at a consistent speed without touching anything.

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

How does per diem work at Prime INC?

I've seen people on the FB page advertising to attract drivers to drive their trucks. Many of them I've seen offer a higher cpm than what a new company driver makes. With Primes per diem you actually make less CPM. The difference is made up in untaxed per diem pay.

Just ask your trainer to explain to you whether or not he's factoring per diem into what he's paying you in CPM. Also make sure you are still eligible for fuel, safety, and wellness bonuses.

Some folks advertise that they will split detention pay. Keep that in mind as well. If you sit at a shipper for 5 hours, not making money, you may have to split the detention pay you are owed with the truck's owner. Again, that might be factored into why he is offering a higher CPM rate. You will have to do the math to figure out if it is worth it.

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

Today's route takes me through WY

Went through there yesterday, heading West on 80 in the wee hours of the morning. Conditions were good. Went over Donner Pass last night about 4 hours after a magnitude 4.7 earthquake hit the Truckee/Lake Tahoe region. Traffic was not affected. I didn't even know until this morning that an earthquake had hit the area.

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

In today's episode of "what makes people look down on truck drivers"

He obviously came here all full of himself as a freshly squozed wannabe supertrucker, expecting like-minded individuals to validate his lookdownuponedness trait.

Instead he got the truth.

I don't know how he can reconcile this:

You can also bet that everyone who pulled in that late morning formed a negative opinion of the driver

with the fact that practically every top-tier driver here literally saw nothing wrong.

confused.gif

A self-righteous judgement often tells more about the person doing the judging than the one being judged.

*lookdownuponedness

A game of Scrabble during family game night at the Turtle household must be some next level stuff!!!

rofl-1.gif

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

What a long week!

I can imagine how bad it sucks to work a 14+ hour day and have to commute. I think nothing of working 14 hours OTR. For some reason it's way different when at home. I used to hate working more than 8 hours bc it felt like it was eating up my "me" time at home.

I can't explain why it feels so different when out here OTR. Maybe bc I live so simply. I have very few options. I'm not missing out on life. This is my life. Make sense???

Anyway, yeah, that sounds awful, Rob. I hope you don't have to deal with those types of weeks too often in the future.

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

Team or Solo dolo?

This is my personal opinion:

Start solo. If you are interested in teaming, become a trainer once you have enough experience to be one. You get to help people learn the job and, at least with Prime, it pays more than actual team driving. Plus, you are not stuck with the same person for a really long time. Less chance of getting on each other's nerves. Also, you are in charge. You get to decide the rules on your truck.

Training is not for everyone. But if it is something you can see yourself enjoying, I say go for it.

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

Prime Flower Loads

I am in the middle of a proper flower load (6 stops) right now. Full trailer. Front to back/floor to ceiling. I got up to help my trainee do our first two stops in Birmingham during my "sleeper berth" time. After the second stop he was out of hours. There is no way I'm going to have him unloading a truck while he should be sleeping. So I decided to do the next 2 stops by myself. Yes. We are behind schedule. No. I dont give a bleep!🤣

I guarantee there will be no positive comments about how quickly I unloaded these stops.

The one I just finished, I had to carry each box to the tail of the trailer. Then I had to jump off and load them onto a cart (the cart held about 20 boxes). Then I had to wheel the cart into the cooler and stack the boxes on the floor. *repeat* It took 6 trips.

I'm currently sitting in the street outside my next stop in Memphis. It is pouring rain. I will start unloading here when it stops. Then it is onto Springfield, MO for our last 2 stops.

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

Didn't work out, now what?

Learning how to do this is difficult. I struggled a lot when I was learning. It took me a week to learn how to 45 and it wasn't even a solid 45. It was just enough to not flunk out. I always hit curbs on my right turns. I stressed my instructor out like you wouldn't believe. Every day during the post trip he'd say "look between your tires for the babies on the corner you ran over"

It is always a little surprising to me when I see posts from what most of us consider competent professional, knowledgeable drivers - drivers who offer good advice - drivers that one can't imagine ever struggling to achieve the success they currently enjoy. Yet that driver makes a comment about how he or she struggled at first just like everybody else. There are many examples of drivers on this forum that fit that description.

I like to think it offers hope to a student who might be struggling and feeling discouraged. Skill can be developed over time. Perseverance is the most important piece of the puzzle.

Posted:  2 weeks ago

Are manual Transmissions dying?

And I apologize for my lack of info. The reason you might work on so many manuals is because most major carriers have their own mechanics and shops. Their trucks are being worked on either in-house or by approved dealers. Do you work on many trucks from the major OTR carriers?

So far as flatbed... I have no clue about heavy haul. Company flatbedders use the same trucks with automatic transmissions though.

I can't imagine getting a manual restriction removed from your license would negate your prior driving experience. I see applications that require a certain amount of experience. I've never seen one that specified the experience must be in a manual truck.

Hopefully others here can add some more info for you.

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

Are manual Transmissions dying?

Justin, it appears that most major carriers are phasing out manuals, at least for their company drivers. You still have the option to get a manual truck with Prime if you decide to lease.

Getting the restriction removed is as simple as going out with an examiner and doing a road test. I guess it's not actually all that simple though, since you will need a manual to practice with and a manual to take your road test in.

Posted:  2 weeks, 2 days ago

Prime Flower Loads

That customer is not a driver unload That is the one I was at with the circular drive. Be sure to go.in to the left so you can site side the dock. The yard dog may have you drop the trailer and put it in himself.

Thanks, Kearsey. You're the best!!!

Posted:  2 weeks, 2 days ago

Prime Flower Loads

Been there too Donna.... This is her location...

If you come in from wrong street you have to blind side

0826567001619734639.jpg

This is where I was.... And if you look it is and oval driveway....but 2 ways. I took a video that I need to upload cause it is pure chaos as all different trucks are coming and going in both directions and blocking each other.

0813872001619734811.jpg

My pre plan. More flowers!

0810945001619838875.jpg

Posted:  2 weeks, 3 days ago

Prime Flower Loads

Thanks for the warnings and helpful information, you guys. I'm going to a receiver called, Tinpac just outside Miami, in a town called, Doral. I will scope it out using Google maps.

Posted:  2 weeks, 4 days ago

Prime Flower Loads

That sounds like an awful experience, Smart C. But,

Hallelujah! I got super-lucky on this. Only one stop...2,700 miles away near Miami, FL. Only problem is that I might get another load of flowers coming out of Florida.

Posted:  2 weeks, 5 days ago

Prime Flower Loads

Got my first flower load just now. I hear Prime people complaining about these all the time. Multiple stops, Driver unload. Anyone here have experience with the dreaded flower loads? Are they as bad as people say?

Posted:  2 weeks, 5 days ago

Hit after week and a half

That's a tuff break, Joseph. Did the person who hit you stick around? Did the police have to get involved? Were you able to drive it to Pittston for repairs? Did you need a tow?

Posted:  2 weeks, 6 days ago

What makes local truck driving so appealing to drivers VS Over the road?

Tee-hee! I'm glad you saw it for the joke it was. I wouldn't actually be brave/stupid enough to try and pull off something like that.

Posted:  2 weeks, 6 days ago

What makes local truck driving so appealing to drivers VS Over the road?

I'll tell you an example of why not being local is appealing.

You know that second cousin's wedding that your wife or girlfriend might want you to get all dressed up for and waste a whole weekend for?

"Sorry, honey. I wasn't able to get a load back home in time."

smile.gif

*That might only work in theory. Actual results may vary

Posted:  2 weeks, 6 days ago

What makes local truck driving so appealing to drivers VS Over the road?

I'll tell you an example of why not being local is appealing.

"Sorry, honey. I wasn't able to get a load back home in time."

smile.gif