Profile For RealDiehl

RealDiehl's Info

Woodstown, NJ

Experienced Driver

3 years, 2 months ago

RealDiehl's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

RealDiehl's Photo Gallery Group 1 of 4

Posted:  13 hours, 39 minutes ago

Thoughts? Lawsuit in bridge-tunnel truck driver’s death

You explained that beautifully, Rick! Thanks for laying everything out for us and for dropping some interesting facts in there.

Posted:  21 hours, 27 minutes ago

Realistic First-Year Salary

What's up, Mike! Here is a copy of my YTD pay at the end of last year. 2 things to consider: I started the year in February and did about a month of training after that. Also, I had about a year of experience before that as well (I transferred companies). Im training drivers now and those numbers have risen considerably. Not sure how I would have done running solo this year. Anyway, for what it's worth, here ya go...

0389362001606809627.jpg

First year pay will vary among drivers obviously. I like to think this is about average.

Posted:  21 hours, 41 minutes ago

Well my career in trucking is over before it even started

Did you go through a private CDL school for this?

Keith: Zach went to a private school and never pulled or backed anything other than a pup trailer. It sounds as if the company he was hired by (May Trucking) had him do some tests of their own and Zach was unable to get it done with a 53 foot trailer. I can imagine it would be quite a difficult adjustment.

Hey Zach, there is still a way to get it done. Look into a company with paid training if you are able. Im not aware of your current financial situation. It won't cost much money at all. In fact, you will be getting paid for training.

What you just experienced is why this site stresses company paid training. Unfortunately, it appears you had already gone the private school route prior to joining us.

Posted:  1 day, 4 hours ago

Hauling the mail.

I'm glad things went well for you, Greg. My brother works in the transportation office for the post office at a processing center in Northeast Philadelphia. He wanted me to warn you that this time of year things get really, really hectic at the post office and that you may experience long delays at times.

I hope things continue to run smoothly for you.

Posted:  1 day, 4 hours ago

Want to Enter Trucking But Have Fears?

That was beautiful and inspiring, Kearsey!

I recommend everyone watch this. Especially people who need a little extra inspiration to make that choice to become a driver.

Posted:  4 days, 1 hour ago

Starting Company Sponsored Training - Is Mid to Late December an Ideal Time to Start?

On the other hand, for me the bigger-than-it-should've-been class size in private CDL school was the single biggest impediment to my learning curve accelerating and shooting me to the next level...

...Part of it was cuz I wasn't as aggressive and "rude" about climbing behind the wheel as others who did get enough time were...

Cuz there were some who picked the skillset up fast and some of them got thus rewarded with even MORE time behind the wheel...which of course should not be the case, but was an unofficial reality I observed. And was frustrating for me...

Sounds like J.D.E.Z. R. Went to the same school as I did. LOL!

The one factor that gives Wilson a slight edge in my book would be the opportunity to train in Missoula in the winter. As mentioned above I imagine I’d probably get more Mountain passes on my runs, in harsher winter weather conditions, than if I trained out of Springfield. Better to get that experience under my belt under the watchful eye of a trainer than it experience it for the first time on my own as a rookie solo driver!

To emphasize what Kearsey said...

It really does not matter where your company is based, or where your home terminal is. It will not have any influence when it comes to where you will be driving while training.

I'm "based" out of Prime's PA terminal. When I have a student during the TNT phase, we are all over the country. In the past month we crossed the country via I-90, I-80, I-70, and I-40.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that where your company is based will determine the parts of the country you will be driving.

Posted:  5 days, 17 hours ago

Getting into trucking

How many points can you miss on the pre trip?

confused.gif

I honestly have no idea! wtf-2.gif

I gotta turn in my CDL now. I'm sure someone else can answer that for you. You definitely want to learn the entire air brake section 100%. If you mess up one of the parts of that, or leave something out it is an automatic failure.

Check out the pre trip instruction guide on this site and watch videos on you tube of people actually doing the pre trip. It will help you become familiar with the name of the parts, what they look like, and where they are located.

Posted:  6 days, 5 hours ago

Getting into trucking

Howdy and be welcome, Imoto! There are plenty of Prime drivers on the forum (including myself) who can answer any other questions you might have. Good luck during orientation. Be sure to watch those videos (Computer Based Training... CBT's) as soon as you can in order to get them out of the way. Even though it is only orientation, be sure to act professionally while attending classes. Be respectful, pay attention, and be on time or early for classes.

Posted:  6 days, 15 hours ago

Liberal, Kansas (National Beef)

Bobtail to a hotel

smile.gif

HA! That's easy for you to say. Rumor has it that your FM (aka, Greedy-One Kenobi) Loves you so much you don't have to wait on meat loads.shocked.png

Let that be a lesson to new drivers. If you perform at a really high level, you might get certain perks.

"Kearsey doesn't wait on meat loads; Meat loads wait on Kearsey"

Posted:  6 days, 22 hours ago

Liberal, Kansas (National Beef)

That's worse than the 13 hours at the consignee I had yesterday for an unload.

Sorry!

I remember you saying you were stuck there for a long time while trying to get home. Same situation here. Finally on my way home though. Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Posted:  1 week ago

Liberal, Kansas (National Beef)

Have any of y'all been stuck waiting here? Ive been here four times and never has the load been ready on time. Today's load was ready about 15 hrs after the appointment window. The only thing liberal about this place is their interpretation of the concept of appointment times. wtf-2.gif

Just had to get that off my chest.

Posted:  1 week ago

CDL school update, I'm officially a commerical driver

good-luck.gif I'm glad all your hard work paid off, Zach. Well done and congratulations!

dancing-banana.gif

Posted:  1 week ago

One on One CDL Training School in Arizona

Old School Thank You. TAWK Thank You Too. I really do appreciate the input from other's that have been in the business and have the experience that I admittedly don't have! When a Newbie like myself is considering getting into trucking, I turn to YouTube and search out videos from people that are actively driving. I'm not sure if linking to YouTube videos is allowed so I will just mention the 2 that I have been following to learn. 1. "Just Truckin" came directly out of CDL school and bought a truck and got his authority. When I watch his videos it looks doable. 2. "Riding With Dave" is a company driver and makes a ton of mistakes and is learning. When I watch his videos I think I don't want to grind that hard anymore.

I'm here to listen, learn and make an informed decision of the route I feel is best for me.

Questions and Comments Encouraged. Thanks

How ya doin', DonCo?

You mentioned above how "Just Truckin" makes the O/O path look doable. You also said that "Riding With Dave" looks like he is making a lot of mistakes and struggling.

I find it very hard to believe that "Just Truckin" didn't experiences some difficulty of his own. Nobody jumps into this industry and immediately takes off. Being an o/o will not magically give a driver all the tools he/she needs to be successful. There is a learning curve no matter what.

Look at it this way: If you are going to be trying to learn all you can to be successful, and making some inevitable mistakes along the way, wouldn't you rather make those mistakes as a company driver? At least that way you have a safety net behind you. The company can absorb the costs of your mistakes. As an o/o the same mistakes could cost you a lot of your own money.

Just something for you to consider.

Posted:  1 week, 1 day ago

After getting CDL from Prime inc ?

Rob has some good info. Must be spying on Prime.

It is pretty much how Rob described it. After passing his tests your husband will get a TNT trainer. Or he may stick with the same trainer he had for PSD phase. It may take a few days to get hooked up with a new TNT trainer. Hopefully he does not have to wait too long.

After that they will immediately start hauling loads. They will be routed through TX as soon as possible to transfer the license. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean he will be passing through your home town. Any state licensing facility will do. Im not sure if an appointment needs to made in advance in TX. My last student was from VA. He was required to schedule an appointment at a specific location online for his transfer. The student I had before that was from Ohio. He was able to simply show up at any DMV and complete his transfer.

Best of luck to you both. I know it is a difficult adjustment to make at first. Things will settle down before too long and you won't have to deal with so much uncertainty. Hang in there!

Posted:  1 week, 1 day ago

23 years old Kiddo interested in join the trade, many questions!

Along with the great advice seen above, remember this: You can look at your first opportunity (even if it is not the ideal situation for you) as some valuable training and experience. After you have fulfilled your contract, you will have the training and enough experience to be more picky about choosing where you want to go next.

I was rejected by my first choice of companies to drive with. After I completed a year with the company that paid for my schooling and training I was able to get a job with the company I originally had my heart set on.

I suppose at your age a full year seems like a long time, but it isn't. You really can't go wrong with signing on with a company that offers you a chance. Make the most of that opportunity and a whole realm of possibilities will open up for you after a year of experience. Good luck!

Posted:  1 week, 1 day ago

Postcards from the Road! (Post Yours Please!)

IF HE EVER GETS HOME!

I'm supposed to be home now. What do they give me for two of the four loads that route me home? Two are live unloads at grocery DC's. Thanks! 7.5 hours at one, and sitting in a dock at the current one since 0600 today.

I'll be home sometime tomorrow. Hopefully...

I'm with you, brother! I am scheduled home on the 26th in South Jersey and I have to pick up a meat load in Liberal, KS later today. I hope you get rolling home soon!

Posted:  1 week, 1 day ago

Postcards from the Road! (Post Yours Please!)

Somewhere in Virginia, I forget where. Local legend says that instead of a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, you will find PackRat sunbathing

0447472001606143480.jpg

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

Trainer

My man, Richard, at Prime (Pittston) does a pretty thorough job of getting potential trainers ready for the responsibility of teaching/training students. I was fortunate to be the only one in my trainer's training class. He emphasized finding ways to motivate and teach new students based on their personality and their optimal learning style. Asking the student questions and being observant helps you figure out how best to teach the new student.

And as Kearsey says,

"A great trainer will continue to inform themselves and develope new ways to explain, demonstrate, and educate."

Posted:  2 weeks, 3 days ago

Look what I got.

Wow! That's a beauty!

Posted:  3 weeks, 3 days ago

1 year anniversary

Congratulations on your 1 year! When you speak to your FM he/she might be able to get you a regional gig in the Northeast to get you home more often. If you need to be home more than every other week it still may not be a good fit though. Good luck! I hope you are able to find something that fits your needs.