Comments By RealDiehl

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0765123001551375736-75543.jpg avatar
  • RealDiehl
  • 1 year, 11 months ago
  • Comments:

Posted:  2 weeks ago

This Will Be A Challenge

And Murphy strikes! Was on the road and making good time going south on the NY thruway. That is until I got close to 287 and New Jersey. Didn't get to my first stop until 09:45. The place was tiny and packed. I had to sit in the right lane (blocking traffic) for 20 minutes until there was enough space for me to turn into the lot. I didn't get out of there until a little after 13:00 so my second stop (@12:00 and 2 hours away) had to be rescheduled for tomorrow morning. Not a good day. Especially since I was supposed to be heading home after delivery.

Posted:  2 weeks ago

This Will Be A Challenge

Here's what I woke up to this evening:

Pick up: 9/4 @22:00... First stop: 9/5 @09:00... Second stop: 9/5 @12:00

Looks pretty straightforward, right? Last stop will be 14 hours after pick up. I'll run out of hours there but I can use P/C to a truck stop afterwards. The only problem is that I was over 100 miles away from my pick up location.

I went on duty about 19:30. I was over 100 miles away from pick up and needed a fuel stop along the way.

I'm currently at my pick up location (drop/hook). I went into Sleeper at 22:11. I really need to be able to take 8 hours here to pause my clock and then get going to my first stop which is 160 miles away. Otherwise my 14 will expire at 09:30 tomorrow and I wont be able to make my second stop. What has me worried are the signs here that say "no overnight parking". Well, I'm hiding out and praying nobody comes along and kicks me out of here.

Posted:  2 weeks, 4 days ago

NYC? 5 stops by 2pm? Challenge accepted!

No, thank you! I've been into Boston and Chicago in the past month. I wouldn't want anymore city stops period. Especially several in the same day.

Posted:  2 weeks, 4 days ago

So I have Hypothyroidism but haven't taken any medication for it lately?

Yup. It has mostly faded though. The surgeon did an excellent job stitching me up. For a week after surgery my brother thought it was funny by referring to me as Frankenstein's Monster because of the stitches around my neck. Lol

Posted:  2 weeks, 5 days ago

So I have Hypothyroidism but haven't taken any medication for it lately?

Amazing! Sorry for doubting you, Donna.

Posted:  2 weeks, 5 days ago

So I have Hypothyroidism but haven't taken any medication for it lately?

"I had mine removed about 8 years ago and never been prescribed any medicine. Actually I was much healthier after having it removed. "

Wow, Donna! I *respectfully* find that difficult to believe. You had a complete thyroidectomy? Just to be clear, you aren't talking about having a goiter removed or something like that?

My meds started running low recently and I've gone to taking one every 3 days for the past month to stretch it out until I get home. Just from the reduced amount I'm taking, I already feel minor effects: lower core temperature, minor, occasional numbness in my fingertips.

If your thyroid was removed and you dont take meds to do what your thyroid normally does, your quality of life will be significantly lowered.

Posted:  2 weeks, 6 days ago

Truck Data Recorder

I received a call from an International in-house representative telling me I have to go to a terminal to have my truck's data recorder removed and mailed to (I think she said) Navistar. Anyone else drive an International and ever had to do this? What exactly is a data recorder?

Posted:  3 weeks ago

Postcards from the Road! (Post Yours Please!)

Volcanic peak: Mt. Adams And a streaky smudge on my window.

0281579001567107722.jpg

Posted:  3 weeks ago

*New driver*

I'll pay for the cdl if I have too I just want to work for a good company that won't jip me every day.

I cringe when I see this. Not because you said it. Because it's the mindset of many people who are looking to become drivers. I have seen this type of question from many, many potential drivers on this forum. I blame it on the negativity you see from a lot of other sources online.

The question you - and all potential drivers - should ask is, "How can I be successful in this industry?" Companies don't want lousy, unproductive drivers that they can "make money off of". The truth is that companies don't make money off of lousy drivers. They want recruits that can turn themselves into productive, safe drivers. If you produce...you make money...the company makes money. It's a win/win.

Also, there is a lot to learn before you become productive. Nobody comes out of cdl school as a top tier driver. You have to learn and develop skills over your first several months (at least) before you get to a level where you, and your company, feel comfortable enough for you to start having real success.

"Everytime you read these lousy reviews of a trucking company you have to look at it through a lens that shows you the complaining driver is basically showing you how much he misunderstood the industry, and how poor his performance as a driver was. "

Posted:  3 weeks, 2 days ago

My tightest backing yet

Yeah, dude. I'd have been sweating that one out! Good job getting it backed in.

Posted:  3 weeks, 2 days ago

Hard Brake!

Yeah. It was a really dark road (u.s. 83 in TX) and the speed limit was 75mph for a lot of the road. 75 on a little road like this? Only in Texas! I think the speed limit dropped to 60 or 65 in this area.

Been waiting for a message from safety about a hard-braking incident. Nothing yet. I thought for sure if you can smell the brakes, you probably braked hard enough for a recordable.

Posted:  3 weeks, 3 days ago

Hard Brake!

I came across this in the wee hours of the morning. The only signs I saw were a standard roadwork sign and "bump". Nothing saying there was a raised, gravel/dirt surface ahead.

When I first saw it, I thought it was loose dirt and I hit the brakes hard, fearing I might get stuck. I sat there wondering what to do for a few minutes until a car went around me and drove right over it. I followed.

Pretty surprising though

0833628001566822398.jpg

Posted:  3 weeks, 5 days ago

So I have Hypothyroidism but haven't taken any medication for it lately?

I suffer the same condition, Rudy. Well, actually my thyroid was removed when I was 18. There was nothing during the physical that related to testing of TSH or T4 levels.

However, when I informed the doctor during my first DOT physical that I needed to take Levothyroxine, he asked for a note from my doctor stating that neither the drug nor the condition would affect my ability to drive. I had to call my doctors office and have a written statement sent to the DOT doctor.

Whether you even need to mention it during your physical, I dont know. I dont know how much these doctors investigate medical history.

Posted:  3 weeks, 5 days ago

What Would You Do In This Situation?

"Old School must have ice water flowing through his veins"

He’s so old, it’s actually a mixture of BBQ sauce and molasses.smile.gif

rofl-3.gifrofl-1.gif

Posted:  3 weeks, 5 days ago

My experience in school and with Trucking Truth

Congratulations, Eric! And may your flowers bloom in abundance.

Posted:  3 weeks, 5 days ago

What Would You Do In This Situation?

I'd like to think I would have been calm enough to make a quick decision like you did and get on the cb to the truck ahead of me. I dont know though. I admire your ability to stay cool under pressure, Old School, and keep your wits about you.

"Old School must have ice water flowing through his veins"

Posted:  3 weeks, 5 days ago

Assignment Changed While Sleeping

There is no way that’s your fault. She knew u were in the sleeper, she knew your truck didn’t move, and u didn’t commit to the load. I just finished an unload In Houston. I’m getting parked for the night. Weekend dispatch sends me a purposed load. I texted him back and said load was supposed to be picked up 4 hours ago and it’s 4 days out for the 90. I hurried up and got in the sleeper.. 10 minutes later he calls first words were sorry to call u in the sleeper but will u pick up at 10:00 in the morning and drop at Laredo yard tomorrow. That works! Prime has the ability to keep a close eye on us. I’m curious did u ask her why she didn’t call u ? Rainy asked her fleet manager not to send her dispatches while she was sleeping because she couldn’t sleep worrying she would miss one. Perhaps ask your fm what could be done to avoid another situation like this and let her know it’s causing u some anxiety .

I'm in the Houston area too.

You must have posted this while I was writing my previous response. Funny you brought up Rainy's advice too. Lol!

I considered explaining I was in the sleeper when the msg came through but I thought it might seem like I was making an excuse. I hoped she would be able to take another look at my status after we spoke and realize what happened.

I have considered making a similar request. I do not want to come off as needing "special" treatment though. I suppose I will bring it up with my fleet manager.

Posted:  3 weeks, 5 days ago

Assignment Changed While Sleeping

"Sounds like I hit the jackpot"rofl-2.gif

So far as getting alerts from apps, Spaceman, most of the time I dont hear them. Good suggestion though. However the only thing I reliably wake up to is my alarm and ring tone (which are the same...

...a song by Slayer) smile.gif

And to be fair. My fleet manager's disappointment could very well be with the situation, not with me personally. It helps to remind myself of that.

Rainy mentioned not being able to sleep without having at least a preplan. I can relate. I'm paranoid now that I'm going to miss an important msg while I'm sleeping.

Posted:  3 weeks, 6 days ago

Assignment Changed While Sleeping

I'm looking for thoughts/opinions on the following scenario. Part of me feels like I screwed up. Part of me feels like there was just some bad timing involved.

I had recently delivered a load. I went to a nearby truck stop to wait for my next assignment. I entered sleeper status at 07:40 with a little over 4 hours left on my clock. At 08:00 I received a load assignment that picked up at 17:00 at a location 15 miles away. So I'm thinking, "take 8 in sleeper to pause the clock, then leave ASAP to get my trailer washed out and make pick up appointment by 1700." Totally doable.

Since I couldnt take a full 10 hour break (I set my alarm for 15:00) I was in bed by 8:30 to grab some Z's. I woke up at 1500, turned my truck on to check messages, and saw I had received a message at 10:00 saying my load was cancelled and I had been assigned a new one. The new load picked up between 09:30 and 13:30. No phone call...just a QC message. Obviously I failed to make the pick up since I was sleeping at the time.

I called my FM right away and told her I had just awakened and I was unaware of the changed load assignment. She seemed disappointed and commented that she had sent the load info at 10:00. I felt like she was implying that I should have been ready and waiting to jump on that load as soon as it came to my QC.

Luckily she was able to extend the pick up window and I successfully completed the load. Still, there is small chance a similar situation could arise in the future. I'm not sure how to handle it. Your thoughts..?

Posted:  4 weeks ago

A moment of shear panic

shocked.pngrofl-1.gifrofl-3.gif

I had a similar feeling recently. I went to check in at my delivery. They gave me a door. I came back out and as I was removing my lock from the trailer I noticed the seal was missing. I asked a nearby yard driver if he saw anyone messing with the seal. The driver said he removed it. "Thanks for the warning, people!" Nobody told me the yard driver was going to remove the seal.