Profile For Jim F.

Jim F.'s Info

Riggins, ID

Preparing For School

Jim F. On The Web

1 year, 8 months ago

Jim F.'s Bio

My Professional career was in the semi conductor field as a field service technician. I have been all over the world and the US installing robotic equipment in semi conductor fabs.

I got out of that after 25 years and bought a RV Park in Riggins Idaho. Did that for 11 years and sold the RV park. Too much like herding chickens.

Got a job in our little town as the Maintenance Director in for our school district where my wife is a teacher. Still doing the Maint. job until my Swift drive academy is completed in Jan '18

I love the great outdoors spent with my wife and our 2 Golden retrievers. We live in vacation land so we do white water rafting,Steel head and Salmon fishing and hiking.

Another major goal I just completed is that I climbed all 58 of the Colorado 14k ft peaks. Took me 17 years but got em.

By the way my avatar is of me on my 58th 14k foot peak Eolus

Now enter my new goal of becoming a truck driver.

Posted:  1 year, 5 months ago

Good grief my backing sucks!!

I had no idea backing would kick my butt sooo bad. Heck, I'm 58yrs old and this has humbled me big time. I've backed trailers utility,boats etc. all my life. This has humbled me beyond belief. Straight line is fine but get me offset or 90 deg and I crumble. Actually got yelled at and then I really fell apart after that I couldn't think for shat. So needless to say backing is all iv'e dreamed about. It's my first day off so I can go through these maneuvers in my head. I think I've made some headway and can't wait to apply my brain on the range tomorrow.

I'm just whiningthank-you.gif

Posted:  1 year, 5 months ago

Delay CDL school...good decision???

Jmart

Man I am so sorry. I love my dogs too, so I feel your pain as only a pet lover can.

Posted:  1 year, 5 months ago

Just Another Trucker Training Diary?

Good for you man. Go Get'em. I'm in my first week with SWIFT academy. Offset backing chose to humble me today. I'll get it. Folks weren't kidding when they say school is a rough ride. I got this though. Had quite a few folks ask me how I new allot of this stuff already. I of coarse sent them here.thank-you.gif

Please keep us informed.

Posted:  1 year, 5 months ago

T minus 3 weeks until swift

Bryan, my excitement hit home today. Today was my first day at SWIFT Lewiston, ID. It was just like everyone on here said it would be. Bunch of folks left without even doing the drug test when they found out SWIFT officially started their hair test today. It was kind of funny really. So yes they do both for those who are wondering. I'm in a special situation because i'm on vacation from my other job. So if SWIFT doesn't want me I still have my old job to fall back on. I don't know if I'll do the diary or not because I think it's been pretty well established what to expect thanks to this site.

Good luck to you

Posted:  1 year, 5 months ago

How to get a suspended CDL reinstated

Robot

Driving Record

Curt, I have almost the same exact scenario. Mine was 40yrs ago. They sent me a form and wanted dates. Told them I have no idea. My memory isn't that good. I start with SWIFT on the 2nd.

Swift new drug testing?!

I'll let ya know, I start on the 2nd

I think a "rule of thumb" should be if ya have to ask wait six months.

Swift new drug testing?!

Oh dude now that's funny.rofl-3.gif

If your concern is lack of hair on your head, check with them. CFI was able to take it from anywhere else as long as they could get enough. I had them shave my back and a stripe accross my chest. It grows back.

Posted:  1 year, 6 months ago

The true meaning of Christmas.

And a very Merry Christmas to you all.

What a fantastic story of hope. Looks like the true meaning of Christmas has been watching out for you.

Qualcomm

Think MONEY. Congrats on the upgrade. Cool Christmas present.

So I finished my time OTR with a trainer yesterday. I got the opportunity to meet two great trainers and both told me I was doing great! The only reason I drove the second trainers truck was because he had a load delivering in Clarksville, TN which is where I reside and I needed to be home for Christmas. So we met up with him and i swapped trucks and trainers. I got a call today saying my truck will be ready Wednesday next week. I can't wait, super excited!

Now to my question, what have you done to remind yourself to change your duty status on the QC? I struggled with this nearly the whole time I was with my trainer. I plan on using post its to help remind myself, but I am looking for any tips or tricks that you may have used. Thanks

Swift Charlotte

Hey Bryan, That's funny, Wendy is my recruiter also. I've been in contact with her for a few months now. She's set me up for the 3rd in Lewiston, Id. They won't do anything as far as background check until that 2 week prior mark. Tell her Jim F. says hi. She seems pretty straight forward. Good luck to ya.

I start Jan 29th. She did tell me to call her on the 15th 2 weeks before. So maybe she will send that then ?

Posted:  1 year, 6 months ago

Well it finally happened...

Merry Christmas babydancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gif

Posted:  1 year, 6 months ago

I have the best fleet manager ever.

Way cool. Good on ya. This is exactly the work ethic I hope to bring with me. For example. Yesterday I was asked to work night shift tonight. I smiled and said I'd be glade to help cover. But then I got up this am and noticed overnight freeze and snow. I screamed into work and got everything deiced without being asked. My boss saw me at work this am knowing I didn't have to be there and just shook his head and said "now that's dependability"smile.gif

But then on the other hand we shall see what they say when I give my notice to go drive truckshocked.png

Lesson to be learned

Thanks for posting this stuff. You would not believe what a great visual learning tool it is to actually see whats being talked about in what we are to be looking for. Can't remember if it was you or not that posted the snapped springs...That was awesome too. Can't forget stuff like this. Thanks again.

Posted:  1 year, 6 months ago

Winter driving tips for new drivers?

This comment.......

stressing out so much that I’m losing sleep in my bunk thinking about quitting.

Come on now. All you have gone through to get where you are today???? Did you not think you would drive slick when prepping and doing all that training?

You've made it this far. Piece of cake. This is exactly why I chose winter for academy training here in the northwest.

CDL STUDENTS BEWARE!!!

" if I some how survive the weekend. I just want to die...nothing...nothing has worked out for the past year since I unexpectedly lost my job. I am so distraught, I do not know what to do...its all hopeless now. Its like a curse."

This comment by George Z. has me a bit concerned. I have worked with a few folks in this condition and it's nothing that should be taken for granted. I've witnessed the bad results of people like this not getting help. The last place that dude needs to be is behind the wheel of a big rig.

Posted:  1 year, 6 months ago

N00b Questions You (Probably) Have But Were Afraid To Ask!

G-Town I know the weight of the fuel (the high road says to figure 8lbs per gal) but I was more interested in how often you guys actually weigh fuel added per lbs on your steers. Basically are you loaded that close as to be overweight on you steers sometimes adding fuel?

Jim asks:

How often do you drivers weigh your fuel. That's where I'm at in the High Road training and made me curious.

6.943 lbs per gallon.

Posted:  1 year, 6 months ago

N00b Questions You (Probably) Have But Were Afraid To Ask!

Posted:  1 year, 6 months ago

How early is to early to start applying

I've been doing that for a few months now with SWIFT. They just make you resend your ap every month. Monday I will get my official start date for January.

Posted:  1 year, 6 months ago

Turned down for company paid CDL program

Now that right there is a brilliant statement. Going to remember that one.

Congratulations Curt!

Remember all this as you begin your new career. Tenacity and persistence are important attributes for professional drivers. Just try to never get those two qualities confused with stubbornness. Their is a distinction there that many truck drivers overlook.