Comments By Tom W.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/open-highway.jpg avatar
  • Tom W.
  • 1 year, 8 months ago
  • Comments:

Posted:  1 year, 7 months ago

Which companies only do urinalisis?

Cannot help you with a company that will not test you, but you should wait a little longer. Even if you get by at orientation there will likely be a lot of random tests especially in your first year.

Wait until the next opportunity comes around for you to smoke, if you are able to pass up the weed then you will know that you will be able to keep clean after you are driving a truck.

Posted:  1 year, 7 months ago

What does your school instructor expect on your first time behind the wheel?

Just depends on your instructor. I remember when training one of the students messed up so bad driving that the drive shaft fell off. There was not any yelling or screaming. The instructor just picked it up off the ground and got the student into another truck.

Posted:  1 year, 8 months ago

First day solo!!

It is definitely a good feeling. Knowing that you just drove and successfully unloaded your first trailer full of everything all by yourself.

Wish I could still get that feeling.

Posted:  1 year, 8 months ago

Advice please

Take the hazmat job. The amount of class A job credit you have right now is about the same as you will have even years after driving with a class B truck.

The companies that want class A experience usually require at least a year, so it will not be any different then than it is now. The couple weeks driving experience is the same as no recent experience at all.

Go ahead and take that job, do not worry about what a class B truck will look like on your record, $17 an hour is even better than some class A jobs pay. The hours are exactly what you are looking for. That milk job will still be available to you I am certain for years to come.

Posted:  1 year, 8 months ago

Swift speeding the trucks up!!

My company went from 62 to 66 back in september. Almost every week I drive i-30 dallas to little rock and back.

Probably have not gotten much in the way of extra deliveries overall yet but just last Tuesday I was able to make it back to the Dallas terminal with four minutes left on my clock. If it was not for the speed boost I would have had to spend the night at a truckstop as opposed to being able to go home for the night.

Posted:  1 year, 8 months ago

Old habits die very, very hard

My driver side window can be forced down from the outside. Locked myself out a few times now too so I never am going to bother getting that window repaired.

Posted:  1 year, 8 months ago

Bounty bonus

Sounds like you located one of Werner's lost trailers maybe. My own company has a long list of trailers that they lost track of and offer cash rewards to drivers that see and report them.

Posted:  1 year, 8 months ago

FMCSA to ask White House to clear split sleeper berth pilot program

I am thinking any local situation. If you are restricted to only your drive time, then a local person who spends lots of time waiting at shipper and receivers or even those that offload themselves, could end up working incredibly long days. They weren't driving, so..... many hourly people stay on duty for loading and unloading. 12hrs of on duty wouldn't effect an OTR guy. You would still more or less 11 hrs worth of driving. 15 min pre/post trip, 15 min at a shipper/receiver, 15 mins for fuel. Still 11 hrs worth of driving. I am thinking of things from a safety standpoint. There needs to be someway to monitor/protect those local (hourly) drivers.

Monitor/protect?

If a driver cannot protect himself then he needs to do some other line of work. We are trying to get away from big brother protecting us.

Posted:  1 year, 8 months ago

CDL School - NON-SMOKERS HELL

Coughing, wheezing, and hacking up yellow phlegm?Those are some serious cigarettes you got there. As you get some more experience driving you will probably get used to it and should not have such a strong reaction.

There will be times that you will have to drive a truck that previously was driven by a smoker and it takes forever for the smell to go away. Hundreds of trucks will be idling at every truck stop you pull into. There will be cars and trucks on the highway spewing out black stinking smoke on the highways you drive everyday.

Your experience kind of shows that it is the smokers that are the truly strong.

Posted:  1 year, 8 months ago

Level one dot inspection

What is even better than passing the inspection is never getting one.

The easiest thing to do to avoid getting pulled aside while going through the weigh stations is simply keep the dashboard spotless. No food, paperwork, or trash.

A lot of companies offer things like $25 for a clean inception, but honestly I would pay $25 myself to not be inspected.

Posted:  1 year, 8 months ago

Training question

Look at it from the trainer's perspective. These guys go through a lot. It is a stressful job, they get so little sleep because they are concerned that the trainee driving the truck is going to wrap that rig around a tree, or pull the truck into some place that there is no way to get out of. That is why trainers make a lot of money, they are putting their lives in the hands of an unknown student every day. These guys are nervous anxiety filled time bombs.

Now here comes along a fellow who already knows what he is doing and aces the training in one shift. That kind of a student is a trainers vacation, no way is he going to give that up. The trainer is going to stretch out that hitch with the pro for as long as the driver manager is going to allow.

One or two months training is nothing. Do your best and the training time will fly by. It will not be wasted time, you will be making yourself quite a reputation and gaining the trust of the folks in the office so once you do go solo you will be given all the good loads that they will only assign to the drivers that they can count on.

Posted:  1 year, 8 months ago

Thanks for the cdl practice

There are a few local jobs around Knoxville that I am looking at. I have always wanted to live near the Smoky Mountains.

Posted:  1 year, 8 months ago

Thanks for the cdl practice

It has been about five years now since I got my cdl using this website, just never did create an account to log in until just now. Just never really thought about it until just recently my family and I decided to move to Tennessee, so I will be changing jobs as well. Now I am going to need to get a few endorsements and remembered the good material you guys have here.

Figured it was about time to say thank you as well.