Profile For NeeklODN

1 year, 4 months ago

NeeklODN's Bio

second year driver Local driver out of Pensacola,FL

NeeklODN's Photo Gallery

Posted:  17 hours, 26 minutes ago

Scaling A Load

Had to weigh myself on a scale at the customer meant for gross only. I was able to get all my axles though. 10,500 on steers, 33,000 on drives, and 33,500 on spread. 77k gross

Posted:  4 days, 2 hours ago

Name three things you love about your company

Summerford

1. Sweet home Alabama family feel to the company.

2. Laid back dispatcher hasn't hounded me about being somewhat inefficient in my first couple weeks. Or said anything for that matter. I told him I know I'm not being as efficient as possible and that I'm working on it. He said we'll get there no worries.

3. Great shop and competent lead mechanic. They seem to take pride in their equipment.

Posted:  4 days, 11 hours ago

Is this flatbed secured legally?

Sorry for late reply.

Turtle, I actually wasn't referring to you about the winch over the tire thing. And thanks for the insight.

Old school, I don't currently have 4 inch ratchet straps on my truck but will be getting a couple.

Posted:  6 days, 12 hours ago

Is this flatbed secured legally?

I guess my other question is, are belly straps required for this load and if so, am I implementing them properly?

Old school I think this is primarily what you haul correct? Maybe you can weigh in.

Posted:  6 days, 12 hours ago

Is this flatbed secured legally?

If in doubt, it probably isn’t.

Why no strap over that last set of blocking. Any straps over that longer piece on the bottom where it sticks out front and rear. (Assuming I’m looking at the picture right.)

I didn't put a strap over the rear most blocking because it is directly over my tire. I was told not to do that. Is that incorrect? And for the longest pieces in all the bundles I think I need 4 straps right? Since they are 30 ft and no headerboard?

Posted:  6 days, 15 hours ago

Is this flatbed secured legally?

The longer stuff is 30 feet shorter stuff is 27.

0956261001552480672.jpg

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

What's with all the DOT?

I85 S north Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia were overrun today. Always like that?

Posted:  2 weeks ago

Would you have stopped sooner?

To those of you who said I did good, thank you. I really needed to hear that after these past two stressful days. This business is not for the faint of heart.

To those of you who said I pushed it too far, you're probably right 😁. I just wanted so bad to do good. From now on, I think I will give myself an hour safe zone or something along those lines. I'm still trying to find my stride.

And I'm off to Suwanee, GA in the a.m. Be safe y'all and thanks for the help.

Posted:  2 weeks ago

Nucor steel Darlington SC

Holy smokes. Just spent the past 7 hours here. Is it always like this? 1 hour 20 minutes for my first solo tarp though. I think that's pretty good. In the dark too 😂

Posted:  2 weeks ago

Would you have stopped sooner?

I dont understand this. You had an appt to.pick up from your company yard? Or you got to the customer yard at 0801 for a 0800 appt?

Either way, I would have been to that appt at least an hour early if not much sooner.

Then, you must understand that you do not have to drive X amount of time each day to do this. Every driver here will do it completely differently.

You didnt state when you left after loading. But lets say 1000. You could have driven from 1000 to 1500 (5 hours or 300 miles) then parked until 0100 which would give you 7 hours to drive 320 miles and give you hours to get out of the receiver. However, had you gotten to the yard early, you may have been loaded early and may have had more time.

Many drivers hate night driving but you avoid traffic which allows you to get more miles out of the way.

When you choose to shutdown, you must always make sure you will 1) get your hours back soon enough to make the appt 2) Make sure you dont start too early, or you 14 may be done by the time your appt is.

I had to wait until they opened at 8:00 to get the BOL. At least that's what I was told. Got out of there at 9:00. Was not my company yard.

Posted:  2 weeks ago

Flatbed Variety

0483633001551794762.jpg

Posted:  2 weeks ago

Would you have stopped sooner?

Neek. Where did you start your day with this load? Also what was the earliest you could have left?

Started in Greenville AL. Earliest was 9:00 a.m. and that's when I left

Posted:  2 weeks ago

Would you have stopped sooner?

Neek , if I understand you correctly you made a trip plan with a certain destination to stop at the end of the day. You were determined to get there so you ran that close to a HOS violation to make it. Trip plans are great but they are not etched in stone, unlike the DOT clock. Myself, I’ve come up short of my planned destination a number of times because of unexpected delays and had to pack it in while I still had time to find a parking spot before I got into trouble So yes, I think you should have stopped earlier, that much is obvious. I know it’s tempting to drive as far as possible but if we don’t give ourselves a HOS cushion, sooner or later it’ll come back and bite you where you sit down. Yeah, right in that tender area. 🤠

Yes that's right. I was sort of determined to reached my planned destination. But I'm in a world spot because I couldn't really find parking on my phone within an hour or so of here.

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

Would you have stopped sooner?

Started my clock around 7:30 a.m. for 8:00 a.m. pickup Apt. Did my pretrip and rolled in the yard at 8:01. Secured the load and pre tripped the new trailer. Load going to Wilmington NC by 8:00 a.m. tomorrow. 620 miles. Easy right? Got out of there around 9. I had planned to take my 30 and fuel at the pilot on I20 east of atl. While trying to fuel my card was declined because we are not supposed to fuel in GA due to high taxes. Was told this in orientation but didn't retain it for some reason. Needless to say that caused a delay but they let me get 50 gal to get out of GA. So by this time I'm trying to figure out if I can make it to my intended stop outside Wilmington with enough time to take a 10 and still make my appt. Well, I made it with literally 30 seconds on my clock and 10.5 hrs till my apt. I'm 20 minutes from the customer. As a matter of fact as soon as I pulled the brakes and took my seat belt off it chimed at me.everything worked out but I feel like there was a better way to do this so I'm not stressed for the last 4 hours constantly checking my clock. Any suggestions? This was my very first load solo and I'm stressed the heck out now lol.

Posted:  2 weeks, 4 days ago

Question for the flatbed gang

That pipe was turned into “bundles” which fall under 393.118.

Have to disagree with you there sir. 393.118 says dressed lumber or building materials such as gypsum board or items of similar shape.

Cool, I’ll save a ton of time not having to gut strap all those “building materials which are unitized for securement as a single article of cargo.”

I didn't see this part. And for the record, I would probably put belly straps regardless of the regs. Don't be salty bro 🤣

NeeklODN, I have to agree with andhe78 on this one. These discussions of the regs for flat-bedding can always get lively. The regs use terminology like "unitized" that aren't part of most people's vocabulary. I've found that even law enforcement personnel disagree on how to comprehend some of this stuff. I haul "unitized" materials everyday. I am constantly having to use what I call "belly straps," because I've had the D.O.T. insist that the aluminum I'm hauling is "building material unitized for securement."

I'm assuming what andhe78 is calling "gut straps" is the same as what I call "belly straps." See what I mean. We have all this terminology, and it makes it difficult to get it all straight when we're all saying or interpreting things differently. Flatbed securement discussions are always intriguing because of this.

And old school steps in with the save. Thanks man

Posted:  2 weeks, 5 days ago

Question for the flatbed gang

That pipe was turned into “bundles” which fall under 393.118.

Posted:  2 weeks, 5 days ago

Question for the flatbed gang

I think his argument was because the bundles weren’t perfectly aligned, they were a smidge over ten feet long and so needed three straps due to length and no bulkhead.

Wonder were his gut straps were.

Ahh yes! That's right thank you! I re-watched it and that's exactly what it is. Are gut straps required though per FMCSA? I don't see any guidelines for pipe specifically in the book.

Posted:  2 weeks, 5 days ago

Question for the flatbed gang

See this video FIRST: https://youtu.be/M0yMHF-e7eg

According to this it seems like you only need two per bundle. What am I missing?? FMCSA: "When an article of cargo is not blocked or positioned to prevent movement in the forward direction, and the item is longer than 10 ft in length, then it must be secured by two tiedowns for the first 10 ft of length, and one additional tiedown for every 10 ft of length, or fraction thereof, beyond the first 10 ft. An example of this is provided below. If an article is blocked, braced or immobilized to prevent movement in the forward direction by a headerboard, bulkhead, other articles that are adequately secured, or other appropriate means, it must be secured by at least one tiedown for every 10 ft of article length, or fraction thereof." Now I'm not against using extra tie downs but we're only talking about the regs here.

Posted:  3 weeks, 1 day ago

CDL B DRIVER GOING FOR CLASS A

That is what I did. I got mine and worked locally for a year so far. I can say that it has been truly difficult and down right terrifying at times. There has been a few REALLY close calls. Not to mention it is real hard to find someone local willing to give you a chance. Have an accident, forget it. Be very careful with what you decide. It IS possible but very difficult and somewhat dangerous.

Posted:  1 month ago

Detention - A problem still in search of a solution

Gotcha!

No. 14 hour clock runs no matter what from the time you start. Any On Duty or Driving time counts against your 70 hour clock. That is the time you want to conserve.