Comments By Splitter

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0340504001542333352-76622.jpg avatar
  • Splitter
  • 1 year, 4 months ago
  • Comments:

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

One of those boring days

Enjoy those boring days. Better to put them into perspective when you have those frustrating days like me sitting for 36 hours waiting for a load of chicken parts in Nowheresville, VA. Then having to drive through the night for 2 nights in order to get it in on time.

But seeing a tractor totally gone in a fire reminds me that it can always be worse. I was incredibly ****ed cause it was my daughter’s birthday weekend & wanted to have dinner with her. That tractor fire reminded me that I can still have dinner with her. Her birthday notwithstanding. Any day above ground is a great day!!

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

Drove past this today and it was horrific.

Had a nasty one east of des moines as well. Iowa state patrol car totaled .

Officer had the highway blocked forcing traffic to detour after a fatal accident, officer was outside his car when he heard a truck hit the rumble strips and looked up in time to jump out of the way. Theyre saying distracted driving was cause of secondary accident as the road is wide open with no blind curves. Truck driver will likely be facing charges.

Definitely a bad day on the roads today.

A lucky day for that trooper. Not so much for the trucker. It frustrates me to no end when folks see my blinkers on, they see the police lights down the road but insist on speeding up in order to block me from getting in front of them. Love me some 4 wheeler courtesy!

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

Drove past this today and it was horrific.

Took 90 mns to go 5 miles. Luckily I was gonna be super early. So I ended up making just an hour before my scheduled delivery time. Thankfully the driver survived but the tractor was completely gone.

0781675001540847923.jpg

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

Prime CDL Training

Nope, wasn’t me. We’ve been on 80 for a few days.

In Wyoming? What fun!!

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

Going to Prime!!!

Thanks everyone for your support. I’m excited but also a little apprehensive.

If you weren’t apprehensive then we’d all be worried. Use this time to study the pretrip since you’ll be be going there with your permit in hand. Good luck!

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

Prime Inc PSD (Pittston, PA)

Was just at Pittston yesterday. Still can’t believe they can’t develop the new site for the training pads. I really like the kitchen crew there. Good luck with your training Alex H. Also, glad you made it safely through the hurricane & I hope you get the FEMA help with the repairs. Let us know of any questions or issues that may come up for you. good-luck.gif

Delivered 12 FDD pallets to the Pittston PA Walmart on Tuesday about 1300...small world, eh?

Small world indeed. I could’ve made it back there the day before yesterday but didn’t catch the mileage count going down I-81/I-83/I-95 was just a few miles more than down I-87/I-287/I-95 combo. When I saw that I was already entering I-87. Was heading to Ashland, VA. Everything went great until I hit North DC I-495 connector & most of Northern VA was bumper to bumper. Made it to fuel stop with 9 mns on my 11. :/

Posted:  4 months, 4 weeks ago

WS 5700 xe

Hey guys and gals.

I'm due to start at a new company next week and moving into a 18 5700xe. Does anyone know the mattress size on them? I've googled and asked but to no avail. I know it's a single bunk with rear storage. Short of driving the 3 hour's to measure I'm S.O.L the office don't know either as the truck is only arriving on Saturday.

Thanks in advanc

Dan.

Have you tried calling WS?

Posted:  4 months, 4 weeks ago

Am I ever gonna getthis backing?

The weird part is I’ve never had a problem with straight line. I watched a video before I ever started on the pad always no problems. No problems with parallel nailed them everytime. Off sets kicked my butt, and I’m starting understand why—I didn’t understand how to follow my trailer. I wanted to put the trailer in the hole but not the truck so I get all twisted up. I’m working on it!!!

Your last sentence is the only way to get past it. It’s not that you won’t make mistakes in the future, it’s that they’ll be a lot less frequent.

The fact that your understanding where you have to focus your attention is also key! Now it’s about trial & error. Figuring what works for YOU! Watch what others do, how they set up, where do they start to get under the trailer, etc.

Keep your chin up Donna! You’re not alone. There are many of us in the same shoes that you’re in now.

Also, don’t forget the progress you’ve made up to this point. It’s very easy to focus on this hiccup & beat yourself up for it. Remember where you were just a few months ago & how much progress you’ve made along the way. A good pat on the back is not a bad thing!

Posted:  4 months, 4 weeks ago

Am I ever gonna getthis backing?

Here’s when it’ll click. That day when you’re just so damn tired that you’ll pull up & GOAL even 100 times to get in that spot (that you think is the last one) at that truck stop (that appears full to the gills) just because you don’t or even drive any longer that day. This happens mostly when you either drive 600+ miles in one shift or 250 miles in a full shift cause of all the stop & go traffic. Either way you figure it out & it gets done.

I’ve had other drivers sit there waiting for me to give up & leave so that they can take that spot even though I’ve stopped to let them go by. I’m like ain’t no way I’m giving up this spot!!

Posted:  4 months, 4 weeks ago

I have nicknamed my FM OH Great One.

Big Scott I’m curious what do you get reimbursed for? Do you pay that out of your own pocket I guess? Thanks

Lumpers, cash payouts for fuel, washouts, additives, etc. Even if you leave load locks at a drop & hook, you’ll get reimbursed.

Posted:  4 months, 4 weeks ago

Forum newbie full of newbie questions

Check out these links also. Knowing the different components will help you visualize them on the CLP exam. The more of this you memorize, the better chances to succeed you’ll have.

Posted:  4 months, 4 weeks ago

Speeding ticket. How bad did I mess up?

Here’s my experience, I hired a lawyer to fight a speeding ticket in Westchester, NY. He was only able to reduce the points but not the speeding ticket itself.

I went myself to fight a second one in Nyack, NY. It was reduced to parking on the side of the parkway with a fine of $76. Definitely call the town clerk & try negotiate. Like was said earlier, explain your situation & hope they understand.

Good luck!

Posted:  4 months, 4 weeks ago

Solo company truck

If you don’t take the truck that’s assigned to you, you’ll have to wait until another truck of your liking is available. You’ll have to pay for your hotel while you wait.

Music radio is standard equipment but not a C.B. radio. Fridge & microwave is on you to pay for. The new ones offered at company store is $224 plus tax. Mine were both used by a former flatbedder that was leaving on the same day as I upgraded. I paid $60 for a dorm fridge, 700W microwave & 2 bags filled with food. He didn’t want to carry it all home.

In the lightweight, we remove the passenger seat & strap the fridge/microwave together in that space.

Now here’s something to help you in deciding about brand choice. The lightweight is shorter than a condo. This makes it easier to fit in tight spots. A freightliner condo is shorter than a peterbuilt one also.

Posted:  4 months, 4 weeks ago

Terrible sight

Was this on US 287 NB lane in TX? Light blue? Looked like they had a blow out on the right stear coming in the curve.

This was on I-80 or maybe I-76. Can’t remember exactly which of the two.

Posted:  5 months ago

Looking for a team driver with Prime

I can't see the JOY in team driving. Look a miss Miyashi's video of her truck. See her tiny place. Then think of TWO People in that tiny space with all the stuff you would carry. It will be bad enough in the truck with a trainer. But this is only 6-8 weeks, not YEARS. Yes I know that going out with a trainer is important and rewarding. But not to do this Year after Year. She had a pretty cool looking rig. But thinking of two people in there not appetizing for me anyway.

All trainers at Prime must have a condo. Only situation which would be reasonable to have a lightweight with more than 1 person is a couple. Like the thread about the husband & wife team in a lightweight by Cantankerous Amicus.

Even when you upgrade, to your solo truck, you can get a condo. If one isn’t available, you’ll have to pay for your hotel room & you won’t be earning either.

Posted:  5 months ago

Prime Inc PSD (Pittston, PA)

Posted:  5 months ago

Recruiter says not enough trainers.

Thanks Splitter. You a good member.

Glad I can help. Much appreciated!

Posted:  5 months ago

Prime CDL Training

I sleep real good while the truck is going. However everytime it stops I wake up. Guess going solo I will need some new sleep patterns. 🙄

In a way yes but not in the way you think. While it is nice to sleep in a parked truck, you’ll have other issues to contend with. Like having to flip driving days & nights depending on load appointments. Or my favorite, somehow catching 😴 while the trailer is being bounced around with a forklift going in & out loading/unloading. But you’ll somehow figure it out & get the job done.

Posted:  5 months ago

Terrible sight

Splitter wrote:

Things can and will happen very quickly out here. A momentary lapse of focus or a second of inattentiveness (glancing away from the road) can be disasterous and life changing.

Almost goes without saying but needs to be emphasized...when you are in traffic (like 3 cars at close range in front of you) at highway speeds you must manage your space vigilantly and can NOT afford to look at anything but the road and what’s in front of you.

I’m very glad you didn’t hit anything. You were lucky there was an open and firm space to bale.

Thanks GTown! It was in heavy VA traffic that had just opened up & was just getting me bearings. Just when you think you have enough of a cushion some idiot shows you that you actually don’t.

Definitely a huge lesson learned, not to mention, even huge-r pucker moment!

Posted:  5 months ago

Terrible sight

Use it as a reminder. I saw one truck today that apparently drove across the grass divider, onto on-coming traffic lane then ended up on its side in a ditch on the side of the road.

Another time someone drove straight into the woods on the side of the road & managed to not hit anything & remained wheels down. Needed a wrecker to pull him out though.

There’s plenty of risks out here to keep you on your toes. I’ve had 2 deer near misses. Almost rear-ended a 4-wheeler cause I glanced at my GPS & dude 2 cars ahead of me decides to stop in the travel lane for no apparent reason whatsoever. Had to swerve onto the breakdown lane to avoid the driver ahead of me. Stuff happens that quickly out here.