Comments By Kiwi303

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3729/12920230153_2631cd943a_o.jpg avatar
  • Kiwi303
  • Comments:

First trucking job.

Got myself a Class 2 job in Christchurch today.

For those of you who aren't in NZ, (all of you I guess!) I'll just give a run down of the NZ system again.

NZ truck licencing works on a graduated system, Like your C - cars, B - Box trucks, A - Tractor Trailer 5th wheel, only here we have 5 classes, not 3 (or 4, D to A, as in some states) . AND, you can't jump from Car to 5th wheel truck in one jump like CDL-A school over there... you first need to go through the smaller sizes before arriving at the bigger trucks.

Class 1, the basic car licence, like the US D or C licence. Drive a motor vehicle up to 6000Kg gross combined mass, including a trailer up to 3500Kg. Most people have this, it covers most house busses and campervans, though heavy busses and horse trucks may need a Class 2.

Class 2, once you have your Class 1, you can then get a Class 2, A rigid box truck up to 18000Kg, including a trailer under 3500Kg, OR an articulated 5th wheel truck under 12000Kg. There are two ways to get the Class 2, depending on your age. Under 25 you have to pass a theory test and get your Class 2L, the learner licence, and have the 2L for 6 months before passing a practical test where the tester takes you around a city/country route and assesses your skills. For those over 25, you can get the 2L and wait 3 months instead of 6 months, or do a Class 2 Full course, a 2 or 3 day course covering ogbooks, fatigue, heavy vehicle dynamics, maneuvering and practical driving time. Once you pass the course you can get the Class 2 immediately without waiting.

I did the course and picked up my Class 2 without waiting out the 3 months my over 25 status gives me.

I've now a Class 2 driving job, The trucking company I have been hired with has a subcontracting role with a furniture removals company in addition to the normal metro delivery fleet. I will run a couple of weeks as packer/labourer on a furniture removal box truck, helping the driver pack/load/unload the truck, then while he is in hospital having surgery I will take over as packer/driver and someone else will ride along as packer/labourer assisting me. Once the regular driver is out of hospital and recovered enough to resume his normal duties, I will shift sideways from the furniture removals truck to the normal metro delivery fleet running pickups and deliveries around town.

Once I have 3 months down from my Class 2 licence, I will be sitting a Class 4 theory test for rigid box trucks over 18,001Kg to get my Class 4L and either waiting 3 months or doing a Class 4 full course, dependent on cash flow :P Again under 25 have to wait 6 months, not 3.

With the Class 4 I can then shift sideways again up the ranks in the company from Metro class 2 2 axle and 3 axle trucks up to regional deliveries in 3 axle and 4 axle trucks.

Finally after 3 months with my Class 4, I can then get my Class 5, the CDL-A equivalent, letting me drive 5th wheel semis and Truck and Trailer units with trailers over 3500Kg.

So this Class 2 job is the first step towards linehaul. Sometimes looking at the US system, where you go from car to semi in one step I wonder how much of a difference in quality of new trainees it makes for?

Celadon policies

40mm! what do you use an AckAck cannon on?!

Got a Got

Those ARE wasps... not just LOOK like wasps.

Even more of an appetite suppressant, their sting in a paralytic, not a lethal toxin, so that large spider is still alive but unable to move. Once it's back in the wasps lair, that spider is going to be either A) sealed up individually in a cell and an egg laid in it's guts, or B) dumped in a big pile with other spiders and an egg laid in its guts. Once the egg hatches, little baby wasp has fresh dinner right there on hand and gets to dig through the spiders innards, munching all the while.

Mother nature is a lot more cruel than the whimpering bunny loving tree huggers would want us to believe.

New layout for the forum

Fonts, no problems, but I still hate those little floating bars with the FB, Twitter, Mail, Printer, etc on them that are to the left and top right of the screen...

What kind of truck do you drive?

I hope to be a able to post something here soon.

two job interviews tomorrow, I got my Class 2 last week.

I'll be driving a rigid truck under 18 tons. As experience and time on the seat allows I will be getting my Class 4, rigid truck of over 18 tons, later yet with more experience I can then get my Class 5, 5th wheel or truck n trailer units.

Graduated commercial drivers licence here, much like Lerner, Restricted and Full for the Class 1 car licence. You can't just go from Car to 5th wheel rigs in one step.

We need TT stickers for our trucks

Money isn't the problem though...time is. It's just a matter of taking the time to setup the designs and decide where and how I'm going to sell them. There are a million websites that do that sort of thing, I just have to put in the time to get it setup.

Delegate!

18 WHEELS ON THAT SEMI OR 10 ???????????????

On snow they tend to float on top of the snow where as the traditional tires will sort of dig in a little providing better traction.

Probably why you never see them on the Ice Road Truckers tv series.

Semitruck Brands

Surprised that no one has mentioned the Western Star. Although not a regular fleet truck with the exception of some vocational applications, it is one tough truck with lots of room. Oh and for those that like the classic look, this one fits the bill.

Big in fleets here, and even bigger in Australia... I saw a comment in a trucking magazine here that in the recent downturn, if it wasn't for Aussie buyers they'd be closed and gone.

18 WHEELS ON THAT SEMI OR 10 ???????????????

Did you ask this over on Truckersforum.net? Duck or Injun or someone answered it there.

Truck smashes into overpass

I saw the yellow 10-5 sign just past the 13-3 sign, and in the shade of the bridge. it could have been a bit better placed to be more visible, but by the time the white 10-5 sign just before the bridge was readable I doubt it would have been possible to stop in time.

He should have been paying more attention, but the sign makers could have placed the yellow warning sign a bit better.

Semitruck Brands

You don't even HAVE most of the top brands worldwide available in your marketplace...

Scania, Isuzu Giga, Mercades-Benz. Even Tatra can be the best for some environments, Some russian trucking companies regularly do runs through rutted siberian routes that would give an US Army HEMITT nightmares.

It's horses for courses...

Posted:  7 years ago

Backing a longer vs shorter trailer

Same difference as long drawbar vs short drawbar on a trailer you tow behind your car.

Posted:  7 years ago

OTR full time even on your days off? Please share.

This is EXACTLY what I am planning to do as well, with the exception of home time. The plan is to spend home time wherever I happen to be at the time I take it, and absorb some of the local color. I don't want, nor do I need a "permanent" home location.

Me too. I figure I can rent a room & car every once in a while and see the "Good old USA!"

Jopa

smile.gif

Ditto here... However it will be a way off yet, I didn't get drawn for the 2015 Visa allotment... got to wait til Oct and try for the 2016 draw.

Posted:  7 years ago

My sister got a parking ticket with my car and I just started school?

Ou get arrested for parking tickets?

Here if they aren't paid and it goes to court collections, if you don't pay them they just send a bailiff to clamp your car so you can't use it, then if you still don't pay, they send the bailiff to carry off our TV or playstation to sell to cover the fine.

No arrests... No warrants....

The closest you get to being locked up is having your passport frozen so you can't skip out on your debts!

Posted:  7 years ago

Ain't nothin' finer than bein' a pipeliner!

I remember seeing a load pulled up the hill by a bulldozer once...

That was our old house being shifted from my grandma's land where my parents built it to the bare land block my mother bought with dads life insurance.

Hauled it up the hill and perched it on top of the ridge, and all the way up the hill the house sat flat and level since the trailer had extendable axles.

Impressive to see!

Posted:  7 years ago

Update. Got a new truck. Hard work pays off!

How good do you have to be before you get one with only Delivery miles from the factory to the depot? :D

Are you buffing up your halo and certificate of Canonization ready for the truck after this?

Posted:  7 years ago

Being young in the trucking industry can be a pain!

Hey Kiwi, is that use of "Y'all" affected for this American audience or does it really mean you are form the South Island? I made a joke about that a while back but I never saw the response if you made one.

You're right on the mark there, It's an affected Americanism :D

One of the big problems for learners of English, is that with so many disparate elements combining to form the language there is no single unified rule of grammar as found in Latin for example. Mouse and House becoming Mice and Houses for example, and Sheep becoming Sheep. Old Norse (the Danes) Norman French and Olde German (the Saxons) all treated things differently, and all added their trace to the blend that we call modern English.

Posted:  7 years ago

Being young in the trucking industry can be a pain!

Not perfect americanese, I put too many "U"s in, S and Z are switched around a bit and the word choice/grammar is slightly off.

But yeah, English is a language which positively delights in luring unsuspecting other languages into alleys and mugging them for whatever words look interesting.

It does mean one can shade meanings in English far more by using words with the same base meaning but drawn from several different languages providing fine shades of nuance.

Posted:  7 years ago

Being young in the trucking industry can be a pain!

NONE of Y'all speak English... you all speak Americanese!

It is Websters fault, he filled his dictionary with spelling mistakes :D

Posted:  7 years ago

"Chemical" fixes

Do y'all have Demon Energy there?