Comments By Bryan E.

High road cdl training question

Thanks. There is a lot of material! But if high road covers it all I'm not going to worry much about finding info elsewhere.

Most of the questions will be word for word. If you do well on the High Road questions you'll be OK for your state.

Two things: there were a few questions on my Mississippi CDL test that I had not seen on High Road. But from what I learned, I worked out my answers.

Also, most computer terminal tests allow you to skip questions. As long as your turn in fifty answers, you finish the test. So a strategy is to skip the questions you have doubts about, and stuff your answers with the ones you know.

High road cdl training question

I wish you the best. Best to you and your new career. Exciting hey?

Hey Bryan

I am going to school on Feb 12th for Wil-Trans in Springfield MO and they send me the General Questions, Combination and Air Brake questions plus they suggested the phone app DMV Genie and you pick the state of where you will take the CDL exam and it is pretty much the same questions as what they sent me.

Also, I have studied from TT and it has given me lots of information of general knowledge. I can go through the questions and either get a perfect score or a few wrong because I read the question wrong and me being stupid, lol.

Check it out and let us know and good luck and good luck to me.

Curtis

CLP and endorsement questions

In order to take the written tests for the CLP do I need the DOT physical knocked out of the way first?

Regarding endorsements I was thinking of tanker, hazmat, and doubles. Might as well get what i can. Am i missing any? Can I take the endorsement tests the same time I take the tests for the CLP or do i have to wait to get my full CDL first? Regarding taking the hazmat written test do I have to have all the tsa stuff done first and approved?

Posted:  5 years ago

Wife not standing with this

Its hard to say this but I think being otr will save my marriage. Wife ain't standing by it and making threats on taking half the tax money or not file with me which is needed to keep the ship afloat when I'm at the academy with no income for a month. She wants to spend it on self while i pay bills and pay the van off with mine. Highly discouraged. She was standing by me recently. Don't change th4 fact I'm real close to going in academy. It is exactly what I need. It won't hurt my marriage. In fact it may help it. Hard stuff.

High road cdl training question

I started the high road cdl training. Should I expect every question on the real exam be the exact same as these questions? Methods and advice on how to study is appreciated. I'm real close to making a commitment. Just waiting on the company to approve my background. It's looking promising.

Possible offer

I can deal with that. And before you know it it'll even be more for the same miles. Even the 8-900 a week is quite a bit more than what i make in my current job. I really think truck driving is where it's at.

This is the gross pay for my past week. It can be done.

0032671001516693650.jpg

Possible offer

Hey friend,

You said what you said in such a way it really spoke to me. You gave me some tough love but yet assured me you guys would stand with me. Thank you. It's what I needed to hear.

I was surprised at the insurance rates but even then so far this company is what I need to get going in this career. Once I learn the trade I should have no problem making some decent cash. It will take sacrifices. It will take determination. But it will be worth it.

There will be a career change. Trucking is not the only thing I'm looking at as their maybe other doors opening up, but it is what I am leaning on. With a background like mine and with a company that will put me through the academy for basically free (I may have a little out of pocket but not a whole lot) this would be an awesome blessing. If they don't take me then I gotta search harder for some other company but if this one does, I think i may go through their academy and give them a year, maybe even more.

Upon thinking of my complaining before I do have the whole thing in perspective. I may not have things quite my way for a few years, but in time I'll make some decent moneu.

I'm leaning on going our rather than regional. More miles.

I really like this forum.

Thanks guys.

Bryan

The system is designed to keep a man down

The system is designed to allow those who are ambitious, determined, and capable of making smart decisions to succeed. You're asking if you should take a job that's going to move you forward in life or if you should just stay where you're at. You don't sound at all to me like the type that's ambitious or determined. You had 4 DUI's in a 10 year period so you also haven't been making smart decisions.

I applaud you on being sober for so many years now. That's a great start. Now you have to ask yourself what kind of a person you would really like to be. Are you really capable of nothing more than being a poor man who likes to cry the blues and blame others for their failures, or are you ready to step up, take responsibility for everything about yourself and your life, and make a great life for you and your family?

You had better have the right attitude and the right approach before you enter trucking or it's going to spit you out quickly. You have to be fiercely determined, ambitious, and crafty to succeed at this. The learning curve is steep, the change of lifestyle is drastic, and people often underestimate how difficult it is to succeed in this business. In fact, very few people manage to make it very far. Only a tiny percentage make it to the one year mark in this career. Most drop out long before that.

We'll support you 100% every step of the way if you're ready to step up your game and make this happen. But no one can do it for you. Drop the "poor me" thing and steel yourself for a tough road ahead. Here's a super inspiring video I came across a few years ago and I've watched it dozens of times at this point. Really listen close to the story he tells. You'll love it:

Possible offer

4 prior DUIs ranging from 1997 to 2006. Sober since 2008. Have to enroll in school yet. I have one for sure job offer but terminal is 4 hours away and little hometown.

But something awesome may be opening up! Company one hour away has a driving academy where you commit one year I will pay very little toward tuition. Offers a regional route 5 days out, 2 days home time, or OTR 11-14 days out, 3 days home time. 35 com starting with 1 to 3 cpm quarterly bonus. 800 guaranteed pay a week. I make 29k a year now. I'm thrilled.

But one thing that kinda got me discouraged it'll cost me 200 bucks a week for the insurance for a family plan with an 8000 deductible. OUCH! Being I'm so poor now I get free medical through government so now I have a chance to up my income over 10 grand a year I'll pay 10 grand a year premium, and we haven't even used the insurance yet. They make it so hard to better yourself. The system is designed to make it easier to stay poor.

I'm encouraged by this offer I think I am about to get. Discouraged on the insurance rates. Surely it's not that high with all companies? Do I take a job making 10 grand more a year to pay 10 grand more in insurance. The system is designed to keep a man down:((

Getting CDL with 4 duis? Worth it?

Is this standard study material for every state? Employment options may be about to open up for me:))

Start studying the High Road Training which is available for free on this website, to get a solid foundation for obtaining your CDL permit. So much to learn in such a short time..

High Road CDL Training Program

Getting CDL with 4 duis? Worth it?

This sums it up. The disqualifies applies to those who already have the CDL, and yeah it could be duis with a personal vehicle. I am convinced I'm eligible for my cdl. I hope so I got two offers of employment. Link https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/383.51

Like I said before it is in your best interest to consult a good attorney. Maybe even one that specializes in CDL drivers. According to the Federal Motor carrier safety regulations you should be disqualified for life with 4 DUI charges. Another thing to take into account that has not been mentioned up to this point is if you had to go into Canada according to what I have read even one DUI can get you turned around at the border denied access.

It is definitely in your best interest to seek legal counsel prior to committing to a school for training that may teach you how to drive a truck but not get you a valid CDL at all. On the other hand you most likely can get trucking jobs driving box trucks registered under 26,000 lbs.

Congrats on your sobriety though I used to drink a lot myself but quit drinking about 24 years ago myself. I can tell you it was one of the best decisions I made in my lifetime.

Please don't take my posting as being mean or anything personally. I admire you for trying to do whatever you can for your family. I am just think you should look at all the possibilities and with proper legal help you may be able to follow your dreams of trucking. It will at a minimum be a very hard road for you. Good Luck.

Getting CDL with 4 duis? Worth it?

As far as insurance it won't matter they are far enough back.

Susan, After reading your response you had me questioning myself yet again as to what is a disqualifying event. I found a couple websites that indicate that two or more DUI 's in any type of motor vehicle (Commercial or personal) comes with a lifetime CDL disqualification.

Please review the responses on this website.

AVVO

DMV.org CDL federal requirements

That is not to say that it is not possible for him to fall through a crack and get one issued but even if that happened would an insurance company honor an accident claim if god forbid he has one. And like pointed out how many companies will be able to get him insured properly.

That is precisely why I suggested he seek legal help.

Getting CDL with 4 duis? Worth it?

Thanks friend. You will find that once more time lapses since your DUI the more companies will hire you. I've done some digging. I got 4 ranging from 1997 to 2006 And I may be able to go to company sponsored training with a job offer with good home time which is what I want. Plus I got a backup company with a prehired letter they ran my me and background and I passed. I do have a big list of companies however that will never hire me but most of those will hire with one DUI as long as its far enough back.

Hope it works out for you I myself have a dui 3/13, so far I've had 2 companies said they would hire me, I got my dui 1 week before I was suppose to start school worst mistake of my life but I haven't given up on this career, keep your head up.

Getting CDL with 4 duis? Worth it?

It's like reading lawyer documents. I think I'm eligible but confusing nonetheless. I found another company that will take me I think and even allow me to go in their driving school long as i promise to drive with them. So about 12 rejection and 3 job offers with 4 old duis. Smaller companies are where it's at if you had history of duis, and for heavens sake don't go for the CDL unless your sobered up. Also, this company will get me home every weekend on a regional route for 48 hours. Just what I'm looking for, and if I need the miles I can switch OTR. I love these small companies

Here is the link that Rick sent me regarding Quslification / Disqualufication for a CDL.

CDL Qualification

Getting CDL with 4 duis? Worth it?

That is what I was thinking but upon researching it I read it both ways. Even lawyers online interpret it both ways. I hope you are correct.

It was my understanding that the FMCSA limit on DUI s was for CDL holders, but what do I know.. oh where is Rickipedia when we need him lol.

Congrats on your sobriety. What I'd also suggest is to call every company that you can think of that will hire with DUIs and be completely honest with them and ask about the possibility of driving for them.. worst they can say is "no" and eventually you may get a few yes.

I really do wish you the best. Keep us posted on how it's going. Your information may be helpful to others.

Getting CDL with 4 duis? Worth it?

I haven't taken anything you said in a wrong way. I appreciate your help. I will check into this further. I'll have to drop everything to get into trucking so I'll need to investigate this issue further. Thank you for your help.

I am pursuing a career transition (more money) and did get accepted on the union pipefitter apprentice list and gotta wait to get called, could be six months or a year. The money will be great by the time I am a journeyman but there are aspects of the job I do not like (and yes I'm a worker) and the work is not steady so we'd be struggling a few years. So at the very minimum I have a backup plan. But the freedom of the open road boy o boy I got so excited when I looked Into the truck driving. This excites me. Pipefitting does not (but hey it could turn out to be a good thing)

Going on 40 with a family trying to do a career transition. I'm looking into various things but my background don't help but driving truck is the only thing that got me real excited, so we will see. Now I gotta see if it's even an option. If it's not then I will put my focus on the other careers. Oh well.

Getting CDL with 4 duis? Worth it?

Thank you for the encouragement. I really want to drive truck but gee there is a lot going against me in this business, and rightfully so. Believe me, i get it. I do. Now I'm questioning if I'm even eligible to get a cdl based on FMCSA disqualifications for multiple duis. Thought i had that cleared up with the driving school. I researched it and it sounds like I am because the DUIs were so old and it's been 12 years since the last, but it is unclear. I reap what ive sown. I'm really not trying to whine but I want to do this so bad but there are so many hoops to go through and I am very limited on who I can work for. Perhaps even if I don't do this this year I could down the road long as the self driving trucks haven't taken over. I can get a 30k a year job just fine but 60k jobs my background nips me on the butt. I did get 0n the apprentice pipefitter list just gotta wait for the call could be a year anyway. Good money, but not steady work, and there are elements of that biz I don't think I'll like, but hey a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do I wanna drive truck so bad, but am wondering if i need to slow down and put it on the backburner for now. I am holding back but if things gotta a little more favorable with the job offers and the state says it's a go I might do this. I gotta quit my job to go to a 4 week school and got enough cash barely to get through the transition and got paperwork for a grant to cover tuition (If I even get it as I need it) so yeah the ball is rolling but like I say it's a hard decision to make as I'm more limited on driving jobs than 90 percent of yall. Found myself discouraged.

Bryan...congrats on your sobriety. Well done. I applaud your desire now to better your income for your family. I think it’s great that there’s an outfit that will give you an opportunity. You’ll need to decide how much sacrifice your willing to go through to reach your ultimate goal...which is a better life for you and your family. Four hours is a heck of a commute. Do you own or rent? Is relocating the family closer to the job an option? Just some thoughts.

Best of luck and keep up the good work

Getting CDL with 4 duis? Worth it?

My DUIs were real old. They came out with them federal guidelines in 2005 I think. 3 of the 4 were before that, and I think I am ok because they were so old. Lifetime in MI is ten years I think. But yeah my gears are turning now. I am starting to wonder if I am indeed eligible. The folks at the truck driving school said I was but yeah maybe I need to back up a bit and see. I don't want to chase after something I am not allowed to do anyway. Thanks for the info.

Im no lawyer or anything. I was under the impression that CDL may be issued by individual states. The cdl is also federally regulated.

I was under the impression that federally two dui charges gets you lifetime disqualification from CDL. Let alone 4 charges. Contact an attorney and see if they have a solution.

Getting CDL with 4 duis? Worth it?

I had 2 DUIs over twenty years ago, and one in 2003 and one in 2006. Fyi I went without a license for a decade. I paid my dues. I haven't had a drop of alcohol since march 28, 2008 and i mean it not a drop. My life is totally different now. I work in a ministry where I help those with addictions now. I haven't had a single ticket since September 2006. My past is just that. The past. Not everyone understands how addictions work. I beat mine, and now I want to drive truck pure and simple and don't really care what anyone thinks about it. I am assessing my hirability based on my past, and yes I am hirable so this ex reformed DUI offender may be driving an 18 wheeler in a town near you! But nowadays I don't get much harder than water. I even lay low with the soda but I may be fully equipped with a coffee or two and I take my coffee black, and never more than two cups a day. I do not allow alcohol in my home. I don't like being at get togethers with alcohol. I hate the stuff as it almost ruined my life. I even teach my kids abstinence from it. I made sure to pick a wife that didn't drink. There was a day in the past I was a danger on the road but I got a decade sobriety under my belt and Lord willing I will never drink a drop again.

With 4 DUI's, I can only wonder how you would have ANY license? IMHO, I'd much rather you stay off the roads forever. Any road!wtf-2.gif

Getting CDL with 4 duis? Worth it?

I am starting to understand now I can call companies all over for OTR. What I struggle with is being gone 14 home 2 gone 21 home 3, as I got little ones. I was hoping for something with a little more hometime. At the same time is love to be OTR. I will literally have to quit my job and go to CDL school get my CDL drop everything for this career but with one may be two job offers when the average Joe can get a 100 found myself discouraged and hard for me to take the risk.

Unfortunately that will be a huge hurdle to overcome. Have you tried Carolina Cargo? Good luck.

Getting CDL with 4 duis? Worth it?

Windy Hill Foliage out of Marshfield Wisconsin is the one company that will take me. They don't let you take the trucks home so I will have to drive to the terminal and back with my personal vehicle when it comes to hometime. 14 days out to 2 days home. I guess I was looking for a little more hometime, as i got kids. A local company who i would work for gets there drivers home every weekend if they want to be home said to call them after I get a year under my belt, but couldn't make any promises. Most companies won't hire me. Just seems kinda risky to drop everything to do this with limited job offers for example what if it didn't work put with windy hills then what. Fyi, I wouldn't mind working local too and being home a bit more.

Those DUIs will be a drag on this career. But if you have a company that will hire you, terminal 4 hrs away, go with it. BTW, what company? The more information you provide, the better & more specific our advice.

For OTR, the distance between the terminal and the house is not important. As long as your company can book you with freight in a way that you pass by your home, you're OK. You'll get that dispatch with the extra time for your home stop included.

Some drivers almost never stop at their company's terminals.

Here are the search results for Multiple DUI's And Finding A Truck Driving Job