Comments By FreakTrain

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0200720001550851521-78109.jpg avatar

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

CFI Training - Truck Dynasty, Springfield, MO

The ones who didnt show will be the failures or quit in training. the ones who did will be successful. this is how easy it is for companies to see it too.

I was thinking the same thing, Rainy. Funny how the ones that needed practice the most didn't bother to take advantage of the extra time.

Oh well, their loss was my gain. I'm keeping my eyes on the prize.

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

Game: Come up with a Weather Song

There's snow and there's ice,

The truck slides left and right,

Drivin' through a winter wonderland!

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

CFI Training - Truck Dynasty, Springfield, MO

Was there a special reason for opening on a Saturday?

I think it was because of the weather this past week. Several students were supposed to take the CDL exam, but the DMV offices were doing the pretrip only due to icy conditions. I was truly surprised that more students didn't take advantage of the extra truck time. It was great not having to wait for an available truck to practice with. Sure beats sitting in the hotel room all day.

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

Trucking company name

In my former life as a sign guy, I lettered more truck doors than I could count. My all-time favorite company name was "Dead Broke Trucking".

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

Thanks, Turtle.

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

Potential Californian Trucker

Best of luck to you, Christopher. That long bus ride is the hardest part! good-luck.gif

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

CFI Training - Truck Dynasty, Springfield, MO

Thanks, Big Scott. The school was open for an extra day today, got to spend all day practicing all of the yard manuevers. Only about half of the class showed up, so I got more truck time today than I've had in the past three days. It paid off well, just need to polish up my alley dock a little before I'm confident enough to test. Everything else I've got down pretty good. I'll finally get some on-road time this coming week. Looking forward to getting school finished and getting started with CFI!

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

Day 10

Started out today with the usual pretrip inspection, afterwards my group worked on parallel parking on both sides. Getting better every day! Can't wait to get some more on-the-road time, it will probably be first of next week before it's my turn. There's a lot of students here, and we're expecting about ten more on Monday. Anyhow, I was one of two students that were chosen to be evaluated on pretrip inspection this afternoon. It's conducted exactly the same way as the actual CDL exam. I'm pleased to say that I passed, missed only five items on the entire vehicle. I'm aiming for missing zero on the next one. I'll have a 'bonus day' tomorrow to get in more pretrip and yard practice. Hopefully by this time next week, I'll be the proud owner of a brand new CDL.

Time to get back to studying that pretrip before hitting the sack.

Thanks for reading!

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Day 9

Spent the morning on going over pretrip inspection, and did a couple of offset backs. Pretty much have 'em down pat now. Two of the trucks were out with students getting road time and testing for their CDLs, so there were only two trucks available for backing practice. I was waiting my turn for the alley dock when we stopped for lunch. Finally got to get some alley docks in this afternoon, still getting the hang of it, but each time it gets better and a little easier. It's all good, my personal goal is to get better every day.

We'll be getting an extra day on Saturday this week. I plan to take full advantage of it, since I'll be testing for my CDL sometime next week and definitely need all the practice I can get.

On a side note, two of the new students quit today... one couldn't stand the cold weather ("It's not like this in TEXAS!") and the other thought they were already 'Super Trucker' since "my uncle taught me to drive and these people don't know what they're talking about". That's OK, more truck time for the rest of us!

That's about it for today, and thanks for reading.

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Must have had the French toast

Got family in Rockbridge, on my paternal grandmother's side. Both of her brothers were in the timber business there for many years. We used to have our family reunion at the old Palmer schoolhouse every summer. Beautiful country up there.

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Must have had the French toast

I am from the mountains of VA

Hey PackRat, that's where I grew up. I miss the mountains! What part of Virginia are you from? Botetourt County here.

Apologies for the threadjack, Grumpy.

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Day 8

Got to school this morning, and was greeted by a snowy lot and single digit temperatures. At least the wind wasn't blowing today. Spent most of the day working on blind side parallel parking, and did one on the sight side. Just about got the hang of it, the instructor said I made good progress with it. No one did alley docks today, the trucks were sliding around too much. Finished the day with offset backs on both sides, nailed both of them on the first try! Felt good, offsets were giving me the most trouble out of all the yard manuevers. Hopefully the yard will be thawed enough to get some alley docks in tomorrow.

That's all for today... and thanks for reading!

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

CFI Training - Truck Dynasty, Springfield, MO

He's a trucker freak..trucker freak...hes trucker freaky..yooww

oh sorry. great job..keep it up!! you got this

rofl-2.gif Thanks, Rainy... you made my day! Be safe out there.

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Day 7

Cold and windy today, at least the sun was out most of the day. First thing today was pretrip inspection (big surprise there), after the trucks were warmed up and in the yard, the students testing for their CDL tomorrow were evaluated on their backing (straight, offset, parallel, and alley dock), my group observed while the new students that started yesterday worked on straight backing. When the evaluation was done, my group started on doing the 90 degree alley dock. We spent all afternoon taking turns, so each of us got at least four attempts. Backing is getting easier now, but I still want to get as much practice and instruction as possible. It's going to be a little more than a week until it's my turn to take the CDL exam, gotta work hard in the meantime. I'm having fun with the whole experience, the only negative has been the frigid weather!

Back at the motel now, and it's time for a good, hot shower! Thanks for reading.

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

CFI Training - Truck Dynasty, Springfield, MO

Thank you for the encouragement, Big Scott.

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Day 6 (week 2)

Today started with the usual pretrip inspection practice, then my group took turns on straight backing and the offset back on both sides. Today's offsets were much better than Friday's! Finally getting the hang of it.

After lunch, it was time to start learning the parallel parking manuever. The instructor and my group all got in the cab, and he showed us how to set up and hit our marks. Then we took turns doing it on our own, the instructor keeping an eye on us and helping out when needed. I found it easier to do than the offset, and did well on my two tries.

That wraps it up for today... thanks for reading!

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

TMC CDL (in-house) training day 1

Congrats, Solo, be safe out there. Best of luck to you on your new adventure.

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Day 5

Started the day with pretrip inspection on the trucks and trailers (seeing a pattern here?). Afterwards, all of the Week 1 students (my group) were tested on straight-line back and both sight-side and blind-side offset back. I did well on the straight back, but got 7 points on my two offsets. Definitely need more practice on that one. At least I figured out (with the instructor's help) what I was doing wrong, so I'm sure my next time will be better.

After lunch. we went over pretrip inspection, concentrating on the in-cab and air brake check. We took turns until the end of the day. We'll be tested on pretrip when we come back on Monday, so I'll be studying it over the weekend.

That's all for now, I'll update on Monday. Thanks for reading.

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

CR England training day 1

Congratulations Michelle!

Posted:  3 months, 4 weeks ago

CFI Training - Truck Dynasty, Springfield, MO

Good luck FreakTrain. Many future CFIers will read this. You're helping a lot of people.

Thanks, Turtle.