Comments By Aram KURD

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0238509001522007049-78138.jpg avatar
  • Aram KURD
  • Comments:

How long did they last in trucking?

Hmm, how long have I been here...it's hard to think back that far...

I've been here since July (I think?) of 2011. This place helped me find the answers I needed when I was researching which where and how to go about getting my CDL, gave me the encouragement I needed during training when things weren't necessarily going as smoothly as I would've liked, and helped me stay focused and not get overwhelmed during that whirlwind rookie year.

And here I still am, almost 7 years later. Not with the same company, but still rockin and rollin, gettin it done, kicking names and taking ass...or is it the other way around. Some days it feels like I've been at this for a thousand centuries, some days it feels like I just pulled out with my first solo load all over again. Even now, there are still new things to learn, new challenges to face, new places to go, things to see, and people to do...or something like that. It's always an adventure.

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ thanks, man!! You made my night haha

Mentor ready

Why do I hear so much bad stuff about swift from different people, yet almost every one that's driven for them seems to have liked it.

Arams diary!!

Just me and my car music blasting driving from Virginia to Texas.

Oh, I see. Well you'll have your entire trucking career to do that every single day.

smile.gif

Haha you're right about that.

When I started at Roehl I drove up to Marshfield WI. After school I drove home and they made areangements for my trainer to pick me up. It was nice having my own vehicle at school. They never said anything but after I graduated they paid me mileage to and from.

Due to my gas guzzling car and plane tickets being ridiculously high for Saturdays, I decided to just let them buy me a bus ticket. Gonna be a long trip, but at least it's free and I get to see some scenery...😒😭

Arams diary!!

Yea I thought about that too lol.

So they're going to let you drive the car home. Great. Then how do you get back to the terminal to get your truck after that? Another bus ride or plane ticket.

The thought of driving it down there free as a bird is intriguing

I don't know what you mean by that.

Take a plane if you can afford it.

Just me and my car music blasting driving from Virginia to Texas.

Arams diary!!

Thanks, Brett. They said at the end of my 6 to 8 week training they'd give me a chance to drive it back home. The thought of driving it down there free as a bird is intriguing but idk how much I'd waste in gas money ( I drive a 97 Toyota Land Cruiser). Some of the air line tickets I see are below 200, so I might go that route. I've already been on a bus from Houston Texas to Virginia, ironically lol so idk if I wanna do that honestly. Anyone drove from Virginia to Texas before?

Hey congrats!

I wouldn't take your car. You're never going to figure out how to get it back home. Taking the bus is no picnic but hey, it's a day on a bus, not a year in a Federal penitentiary so no big deal. Obviously flying would be great if you can afford it, otherwise just take the bus.

Arams diary!!

Well guys, and gals. I'm scheduled for orientation this Sunday 3/18/2018 in Dallas Texas with Stevens transport. They're giving me 3 options, they'll buy me a bus ticket which will take 1 day and 3 hours to get there. I can buy a plane ticket (which is 6 hours), and they'll reimburse me up to $200, or I can drive drive there (17 hour drive) and they'll reimburse me up to $200. What y'all think I should go with?

Reefer Tips for rookies

This was great, considering I'm gonna be running reefer. This was info that's gonna come in handy, thanks, Rainy

Arams diary!!

Gotcha, I figured it was a little fishy. Thanks for the tip. Man I'm glad I registered on this forum, you guys have been a great help.

Aram please do NOT do that.

You are not a company driver but a contractor if paid as a 1099. No benefits. That's lousy money considering that, plus you'll be paying out-of-pocket for half the total cost of FICA and Unemployment Tax. You'll likely need to provide your own insurance...possibly liability as well. The company will have zero ties to you and in all likelihood NOT provide any road training, which you will definitely need fresh out of school.

It's a bad deal,...run.

Arams diary!!

Thank you Chuck, and Danielsahn!

I had a question for whoever has an answer. I got a call from a buddy of mine who is an owner operator, he recommended me going with his former company out of Chicago (honestly didn't mention the name). He told me that I'd be bringing home $1200-$1400 a week as a company driver. Now here's the thing, he said that I will be using a 1099 tax form. Is anyone familiar with this type of setup. The money sounds good but I don't want to have to end up paying 10k in taxes at the end of the year.

Arams diary!!

Thank you, Pj! I appreciate it!

Thanks PackRat!! β˜ΊπŸ€™

Thank you, Big Scott!

Arams diary!!

Thank you, Rainy!! I appreciate all the words of wisdom you've provided. Hopefully I'll see ya on the road someday.

Arams diary!!

Well guys, I passed my CDL test today!! I'm officially a CDL holder β˜ΊπŸ€™ I will be using this thread to document my travels, and experience over the road. Btw I have decided to go with Stevens Transport!! Wish me luck y'all!!

Picking the right company to start with

Awesome read!! Thank you for all your help Rainy!! I really truly appreciate it.

When you go to tight places, watch the other drivers. Where did they start their U Turn to get on the drivers side? how far up did they go? At what location were the tandems when they began to pivot into the spot? Did they have enough room to make it a straight line back?

You can learn a lot from watching if you know what to watch for. If you are that nervous about it, go to a truck stop and watch now. check out youtube videos about backing. Get a toy truck and watch how the trailer turns in relation to.the cab. One of the biggest challenges of teaching it is that we all find a style that is right for us. I bet none of us here does it the same way. It takes about 6 mos to click. Using Google earth is great to visualize your entrance and set up. set up several times if you must.

Search for Errol Vs backing lessons.

No one company is going to make a difference with backing. Here's my backing fear story.

Hope for a Lousy Backer

Picking the right company to start with

Good advice, Rob. You're right, I would honestly like to get used to that early on, and get it out of my system. I guess it'll just take some getting used to.

If you're driving a truck you will always be in someone's way. Thats their problem not yours. It took me a while to get over the guilty feeling of holding up traffic. Seriously don't stress it. Eventually you'll be able to get in fairly quick and look back at this and laugh at yourself. Would you rather drive for a company that only delivers to large DC's and never face a difficult back, or would you rather possibly face them early in your career instead of being a 10 year vet that can't do much besides a straight line. For my job, just like PJ many times im sitting on road with 4 ways on waiting for a break in the traffic to start backing. My situation is a little different but there's quite a few stops I sit on a busy street and unload from there. I don't like tying up traffic by any means but many times there's no choice. Easier said than done, but get over that fear. If you're allowing traffic building up, and horns blaring to get you nervous you're almost guaranteed to hit something

Picking the right company to start with

That does sound unnerving. Like you, my instructors always tell me in that instance take your time and let the 4 wheelers wait it out. It's better to make them wait for a bit and not hit anyone, rather then hit someone and make people wait even longer . The first time it happens I'll be nervous, I'm not gonna lie. But it's something that WILL happen so oh well.

It gets a bit unnerving at times. I have a customer I go too often. This one you have too call them and have them open the gate. No problem, I call and the gate is almost never open. 4 lane city street without a turn lane. I pull up throw the 4 ways on and wait. When the gate gets open I wait for traffic to clear then pull into the oncoming lanes setup to back and get started. My front will swing into the lanes to the right. Once I get command of the clear roadway I just take my time. They can wait.

Picking the right company to start with

Lol precisely! One of my fears is backing into a tight place while blocking both lanes of traffic πŸ˜‚. But I know I can't escape that reality, and it will happen eventually one of these days, I'm prepared...I hope lol.

I understand, you all make very good points. I've put all my chips in this so failure is not an option for me. This is what I've wanted to do since I left college, and I'm gonna make sure no matter what that I tough it out. Rainy, what you said definitely makes me look at things a bit different. As always I really appreciate y'alls input.

if it makes you feel better...delivering to stores like walmarts and dollar general are usually dedicated accounts. In 2 years, i have delivered to one grocery store and 4 walmarts. so it doesnt happen often unless i requested a dedicated account.

Also, Im guessing your fear is backing in smaller places...you are definitely not alone!!!! Worst case scenario, you drop the trailer and ask a yard dog to put it in. No yard dog? Great drivers will help guide you in, often because they dont want you to hit their truck.

rofl-1.gifgood-luck.gif