Profile For Gary E.

Gary E.'s Info

6 years, 11 months ago

Gary E.'s Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

Sleeping Bag Recommendation

As a team driver, I can tell you that this choice is an important one. Getting good rest is a top priority if you are going to be able to operate the equipment safely. Here are some things to keep in mind: While the cab is normally temperature controlled, breakdowns happen and usually at the worst time. Be prepared to deal with cold. Synrhetic shelled bags do compact smaller and stay very warm, but on some matresses can slide easily which can literally be a pain! Think fast stops, hard turns, winding mountain roads... Avoid the mummy bag. Being able to stretch out makes it easier to sleep and in the event of a need to evacuate the truck, will make your escape faster.

Agreed....be prepared for the worst. Have a thin blanket for the warm seasons and a 5 season bag for the cold which may include winter breakdowns and heater breakdowns which are common in higher mileage trucks. Also some companies no longer allow you to idle, in winter you will need that 5 season bag. I experienced the Chicago snow storm of 2014 on a Walmart parking lot with no idle thanks to Prime, I was ready for it though with that 5 season bag. Also because buy a toweling style blanket to wrap around the mattress, it stops you slipping around. I sleep in a team truck 8hrs no issues on the worst road in the Midwest 69s75s Dallas.

Companies that won't hire with less than 1 year of US driving licence

Correct Old School....I'm British...been driving on CDL over here for 2.5 years now but the state of Missouri would not allow me to apply for my CDL permit without 1 year of driving on a standard car license.

Frank, I'm thinking the big issue with having a Driver's License for one year is more of a State issue than it is a company issue. Many of the States will not allow you to obtain the CDL without proof of holding a U.S. Driver's license for one year.

Get out of the truck!

Sorry, I would post pics but I am posting from my iPad.

Try Meteor Crater, Ext 233, I40. It's only about 6 miles from the highway and yes it is accessible for semi's with trailers although you must park on the RV lot (first left as you approach the parking lots). Get there early if you can and you will have no issues parking your rig. It was about $18 I think when I went but if you like science, history, geology or just tourism it's well worth it. Take your camera and a deep breath because the views are breathtaking. Wish I could post some pics for you. Let's face it most of us probably pass this place and think it's not for us truckers but it is.

OTR salary at 5 year mark.

I'm in year 2. The key for me was research, research and yes more research. I started out with Prime making about $800 per week but out for very long periods at a time. I stuck it out, served my time but all the while I was researching the best possible opportunities out there. I now run the "Gravy Train" with a co-driver. Midwest - West, same route, same drop yards, drop n hook both ends, home every weekend and scrape in $80,000 😜 This was the job I always had in my mind ( never thought I would find it though, I must admit) and would not settle for compromise, in fact my financial target was $60,000. That's why I call it the "Gravy Train". Best of luck to you.

Who holds the longest wait at Shipper/Receiver?

I'm thinking I could be approaching it. I've been sitting in Jacksonville,FL at the Busch warehouse waiting for my load for 27 hours. My dispatcher thinks it fine and just tells me to hang on in there. There are several other fully loaded Prime trailers around me but they are not mine I'm told. He's not sure if I get Detention or not, "maybe" he says. What's your longest wait ? Not including extreme weather events.

Off topic a little but I'm curios.

Thanks for all the replies guys n gals. I had a good talk with my wife last night and dug around researching on the internet and yes it's almost impossible with this type of income in the first 24 months as Jolie says. So thanks once again to all but I'm outta here and going to see if I can find something with driving class A or B by the hour. Now I have a whole new set of issues no doubt, like experience behind the wheel etc but hopefully I can find some mom n pop outfit around central Missouri with such opportunity. Thx to all

Off topic a little but I'm curios.

I went into trucking so I could make a better life for me and my wife. I'm originally from the UK so had to start a fresh when I came over here. I waited 12 months before I joined Prime because I had to have held my US driving license for that time before I could apply to Prime. I've been driving for them for 4 months earning great money. Today I decided to apply for a mortgage. I have a 717 credit rating, no debts and no bills, so I stand in what I thought was an excellent position. However today I'm told by the mortgage people that the way I earn my salary (paid by the mile) is classed as a commission based wage and they need 24 months history under those circumstances!! This is potentially the end of my "by the mile" career and a return to "by the hour" is on the foreseeable horizon suddenly. Has anyone ever had this issue and if so did you get round it?I have zero intension on waiting for that period.

Thanks in advance

Gary E

1-year requirement for new US DL holder to get CDL?

My husband is a new immigrant in the US and he's interested in getting his CDL. He's been a licensed driver in his home country for almost ten years but he just received his US DL last December. I've read something about a one-year requirement for the potential CDL driver to have had his non-commercial license for one year before he can obtain a CDL. Is that true across the board or does it vary by company/state? Thanks in advance.

Hi Amanda, I researched this a lot when I came over from the UK 2 years ago. Yes, it is a requirement by every company I found except one. USA Truck and PAM have an arrangement with a company called Driver Solutions that will allow you in schooling for your CDL after only 9 months of having held the US driving license. I tried this company but did not like the way they ran the course. Too many students to instructors and very old equipment, I left the course after only 1 day, no fee to pay. In the end I waited out the 12 months and now drive for Prime Inc. Great training and one of the best pay structures around. Hopes this helps

Drew the short stick today

Gotta love unproven rookies expecting brand new 2015 trucks!

Don't sweat it Dude. It won't always go your way. I started at Prime with experience and my truck wasn't much better. It's the luck of the draw.

Work your way up and when you become one of the top drivers they'll quickly recognize you and gladly hand you what you deserve.

I got one last FridayπŸ˜€. We'll almost, only 35k on clock. However the downside is, she has many little creases to iron out and my first assignment was Chicago rail yard for the entire weekend shuttling trailers 11 miles through suburbs in the Snowstorm with no APU and very little patience. So the new truck gloating soon passed away over the extended long tiring weekend. I'm moving on slowly.

The blizzard of 2015

You can also use the cruise to bump the idle up and it will not shut down.

Disabled, I tried that one. I could do it on the Freightliner but now I got 2015 international. Company spotted that one and took it away from us.

Those Pro Stars are getting popular with fleets....

cause its the cheapest truck out there

Agreed, but it's its a nice looking truck and It was given to me by Prime (as a company driver). I have a way of making things work for me, so I will stick with it until we manage to bond together and DRIVE!. A little tape and glue here and there and we'll be fine. 😜

The blizzard of 2015

You can also use the cruise to bump the idle up and it will not shut down.

The blizzard of 2015

I'm right in the middle of it!!!!! Got my new truck on Friday and dispatch said " go to Chicago and shuttle trailers from the rail yard , 11 miles to maintenance then do it again, in fact do 9 of them. I got 5 done in 10 hrs. What a day. Now I'm sitting on a Walmart parking lot in 9 inches of snow, blizzard, wind gusts 30 mph,with no APU and no engine idle allowance. What a great first weekend out I'm having. πŸ˜€ Any drivers having a worse weekend?

How does a company NOT let you idle in a blizzard and freezing conditions?

If you tried to do that to a DOG - you would get arrested...

Rick

Idle shuts down after 5 minutes, programmed that way. Company just assumes that drivers will use APU, but when isn't working you are kinda screwed. I found a sneaky way around though. I'm on flat ground with snow packed around me so I just release the parking break, truck thinks I'm in traffic and doesn't shut the idle down. Took me 2 hrs to find that but hey, I'm warm again. 😊

The blizzard of 2015

Prime recruiting conversation

Not that I can add anything more than Daniel, but I can confirm some things.

I just got off the phone with my Prime recruiter (waiting on job history verification) and she told me that average weekly miles is around 2000 - 2200 and that the first phase of training is $600 per week and the second half is $700. Both phases combine to equal about 12 weeks. She stated .43 com (but did not mention LW trucks, I just knew that from Daniel's threads).

Im in the last few days of the TNT phase (second phase as you called it). My first phase (PSD) lasted 2 weeks 4 days, then we went back to Springfield to test out. Tested out fine. Got picked up 3 days later for TNT phase. By the time I finish this phase in a couple of days I will have been out 7 weeks on TNT phase in which time we will have completed the 30000 miles required to upgrade to you're own truck. Between orientation week (End of October) PSD and TNT I did not get to go home until Xmas (I did get 11 days off though so can't complain). So expect to be out 8 weeks before your first home time from orientation. Then you will get as already mentioned 1 day home time for every 7 out. There is no $600 figure anymore. As mentioned, orientation week pays nothing, PSD period is $200/week loan. TNT period is $700/week minimum. Some weeks if you're running hard you will make more if you run over 5000 miles as a team. My best take home in the last 7 weeks was $660.

Hope this helps

Gary E

Got My Start Date For Prime's PSD Today!

You don't need a DOT physical before you arrive at Prime, MO for orientation. It would just be a waste of money if you believe you are in good health anyway. Prime will give you a full physical on day 1 of orientation. However if you have any doubts about your health it may not be a bad idea to get one at your own expense, that way if you find any issues you have a chance of dealing with them before you get here and saving the risk of being sent home for High BP as an example. I'm in the latter stages of my TNT phase with Prime, 9000 miles to freedom. Holly is great by the way, she was my recruiter from last year.

Good Luck Gary

Prime's Pittston, PA Terminal

I'm heading there tomorrow. It sounds like a far cry from the Fontana, CA drop yard where I was 2 days ago. Really nothing to see or do at the drop yard.

What's your favorite sign?

"PORT OF ENTRY". First time I saw this I pulled off the road to find my passport 😊. Merry Christmas all.

Overweight Load Question

Thanks for all the responses guys n gals. We had a long wait in San Franciso downtown earlier and it gave me a chance to have the conversation as to my concerns over the issue. He has agreed to be more vigilant on weights and run inside the law even if it means returning to the shipper for adjustments. Thanks to all once again.

Gary E.

Overweight Load Question

Hey guys, I am in my 3rd week of TNT with Prime and I have a concern. I hate to complain about things but this issue seems to be a little much in my opinion through the eyes of a Rookie so I thought I would seek the experience on the board. My trainer does a number of things I look at through doubtful eyes but they harm no-one and cost nothing (so far) . However 2 days ago (for the second time) he picked up an overweight load whilst I was in the sleeper, (we drive team 12hr shifts from day 1). He could do nothing about the weight with tandem shifts etc and ran with it. Well the first time he did this I put it down to bad judgement on his part but he seemed to think that we would be ok in Virginia with it, (I was driving, not him). Now this time, same scenario, picked up whilst I was in sleeper and ran with it. This load is too heavy for California in the 6th hole by 800lb but yesterday I worked out we had 2 weigh stations to pass into Sacremento from Reno and by coincidence it turned out that I was driving again. I feel like a nervous nelly as I approach these weigh stations and he disappears into the sleeper as we approach them.

What are the consequences of this load?

Am I being taken advantage of in these situations?

Do the experienced drivers run overweight this often?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Might get a trainer tomorrow

And I'm nervous as hell! 4 hours of SIM time just doesn't prepare you for driving one of these things. How did you guys feel or do when you got to this point?

At that point, I still had a thousand questions buzzing around in my head, excitement, doubts, "what if I don't get picked by a trainer?, how long will I be here?, how long will it take to get through the PSD phase? And many, many more but it all comes to pass SO quickly. Just try to enjoy it whilst you're on Campus. Once you're in the truck that's when the nerves grip you and the real fear sets in!!!. Just kidding, enjoy the ride and good luck on PSD. I was out 2 weeks then back to Trifecta. You get $250 if you trifecta BTW. Don't tell the missus.