Profile For Kim T.

Kim T.'s Info

Charleston, WV

Rookie Solo Driver

1 year, 7 months ago

Kim T.'s Bio

I started Prime’s CDL school on August 20 and now have my CDL. I am getting ready to head out on the TNT phase of training and the nerves are real. I got this!

Kim T.'s Photo Gallery

Posted:  4 months ago

Hey Drivers!

Good morning!

I haven’t posted in a minute but I am still trolling the site regularly and living vicariously through you guys. Just wanted to give an update on what I’ve been up to lately.

My medical certification was getting ready to expire soon so I went for my DOT physical to renew it. Passed with flying colors...still the healthiest fat girl I know. lol

I am dealing with possible cancer right now after a scan found a mass. However, I am keeping positive about this and have decided that further testing will show it’s nothing. If it is something, I’m going to fight like hell and beat it.

The happiest news: I got married on July 20!!! My wife is a driver trainer and life is great!

I miss you guys and wish you well and lots of safe miles.

Posted:  5 months ago

Winner of Rainy's "No Defeat, No Surrender Award" is....

Way to go, Donna!!!

dancing-banana.gif

Posted:  7 months ago

Prime..Do you need your SS card or not???

Hey Old School, PackRat, and Turtle! Yep PackRat, I’m still a driver. smile.gif

I come in and read the posts all the time and laugh at the antics in here. lol

Posted:  7 months ago

Prime..Do you need your SS card or not???

I would love to be at Prime this week when he talks to Ms. V and George. That’s going to be hilarious!

Oh, and hi drivers!!

Posted:  8 months, 2 weeks ago

Regrets

Brett, you’re right, I was jumping back and forth between two very different careers. The law firm is financial security, trucking is a lifelong dream. I knew going in that the first year in trucking is hard financially because you are learning the ropes and getting settled into this very new and very different career. However, I didn’t give myself time to learn. I gave up. That is completely on me. I own what I did.

Here are my honest thoughts on my training. Don’t get me wrong, I am not putting blame on anyone but myself. These are my opinions on my own training. In TNT we are running team. Did I need my trainer in the passenger seat while I was driving at all times? No. But, if I am in a sticky situation and need immediate help I need that help right then. At times it was hard to wake her up. And if I had to wake her up several times then she would not be rested for her shift and that put us both in danger...so I didn’t try to wake her up a lot. Also, driving team you didn’t have to worry about finding parking for the night very often. We did not do much trip planning because we didn’t have to find places to park. I think I was on the phone with Ernie every day talking about this stuff. The truck was run as a team truck. I was not taught the little nuances needed to run a solo truck. Yes, I had several drivers that gave me awesome advice and I appreciated that more than they will ever know. In a team truck I didn’t have to back into a busy, packed truck stop.

I KNOW all of that comes with time and experience. I know this. But as a new driver the aggravation and frustration of what I didn’t know was daunting. I know I can do the job. But at the time I didn’t have enough faith in myself.

Minnis, thank you. I will keep that in mind.

Jeremy, I agree. Not all training is successful for every person. Everyone learns differently. I have an opportunity to go with another company. Since I upgraded to my own truck in December, I would go with a trainer so they can see what I do know as far as running solo and what I need to learn then they would take it from there.

Like I said, I own my mistakes and giving up. I blame no one but myself.

Anyway, I need to get back to cleaning house (Ugh!).

Thank you drivers and have a great day!

Posted:  8 months, 2 weeks ago

Regrets

To reiterate what I was trying to say in my first post...I realize I should have stuck it out the first year. That is one of the main things I am kicking myself about now. I gave up too soon. That is my big regret. I’ve wanted to drive a truck since I was 6 years old. That’s 50 years! And I gave up. I am a very determined woman, and if you read any of my posts about my health scare that happened almost two years ago you will see that determination. But I lost sight of that determination. That’s what disappoints me about my decision. I’m trying to fight back from that and see what my options are.

I see several have commented and I will respond to those when I get home from work.

Thank you all for everything...even giving me hell when I need it.

Posted:  8 months, 2 weeks ago

Regrets

LOL I know what you meant. For the new drivers I wish there had been a camera crew with you your first year. “Rainy’s First Year.” That would have probably been the best reality show in history.

Posted:  8 months, 3 weeks ago

Regrets

PJ, I’ve always wanted to get my CDL and drive a truck. I did that. When I decided to walk away and come back home I truly thought what I had accomplished would be enough to satisfy that dream. I’m finding out that it’s not. I’m working my way through the rest of it. I will eventually figure it out. I thought a long time before finally deciding to get my CDL and I will be thinking long and hard this time too. Thank you.

Rainy, Clark Griswold?? LOL I’m not a major screwup...I don’t think. Once again you have given me a lot to think about. I appreciate you and your advice more than you will ever know. I have thought about the PSD training but I have to get to that point first. I will also think about your other suggestions. I miss you lady! Thank you.

Posted:  8 months, 3 weeks ago

Testing out to go solo

Congrats Grumpy!!! dancing-banana.gif

Posted:  8 months, 3 weeks ago

Regrets

Thank you so much, jz. This site has been very inspirational, enlightening, and valuable to me. I’m glad I was able to give back a little.

Posted:  8 months, 3 weeks ago

Regrets

Grumpy, thank you for trying. I will still keep them in mind.

Scott, there wasn’t any certain thing at home, my kids are grown. It’s just that a month is a long time to be gone. Some people love it but I didn’t. You don’t realize how long a month really is until you are out there.

Bruce, I realize it takes a full commitment and that is what I am researching and looking into, especially within myself.

Navy, too bad there isn’t the perfect company out there. It’s like finding the absolutely perfect house but it’s sitting vicariously on a cliff. I will find one that fits closest to what I’m looking for.

Hey Old School! You are exactly right. Those are very rookie issues and I did not give myself time to get through it and learn it. That is what I am regretting the most. That I gave up on me too soon. I walked away from my lifelong dream because I was frustrated. Yes, if I could kick myself in the rear I would. Everyone on here was very supportive, encouraging, and offered great advice and I appreciate all of you more than you know. That’s probably why I’ve come back here looking for input, whether supportive or not.

Thank you drivers!

Posted:  8 months, 3 weeks ago

Regrets

Rob, a lot of companies offer 2 weeks out with 2 days home. That’s the same amount of time as Prime’s but it’s split. I don’t see how the split would affect the money part of it. Maybe it does, I dunno.

Errol, I have thought about regional and have been doing some research on it. As for my own hours, I tried leaving super early but seemed to always get tied up at the S/R and that would put me way late in trying to find parking.

Grumpy, I will check them out and see if that is an option for me.

Bruce, when teaming I was never rested. Every time the truck stopped or drove on bad roads I was awake. I don’t think I ever got a ‘good’ sleep.

Thanks guys!

Posted:  8 months, 3 weeks ago

Regrets

When I decided to leave trucking and go back home to work at a law firm again, my reasons were valid. In some ways they still are. However, after being home for a few months, talking to drivers that I trust, especially the ones that know me personally, and working in an area of law that bores me to tears, I am wondering if I left too soon. Did I not try hard enough? No, I still don’t like the idea of being away from home a month at a time. Yes, the struggle to find a place to park at night after getting tied up at a shipper or receiver will still be there. Yes, I will still need to learn how to run a truck effectively as solo instead of as team as I was trained. No, I don’t want to drive team. But, I miss driving. The arguments in my head whether to stay where I am or go back to trucking are constant, with the ‘go back to trucking’ side pulling out in front.

I have not made a decision yet about this. I guess I’m just posting to say that final decisions may not always be final.

Posted:  8 months, 3 weeks ago

CPAP Cleaner Question

Good morning drivers.

I have used a CPAP for almost four years without any issues. Then, when I was out on the road I would have serious sneezing, runny nose, etc. constantly. I even changed the mask, filter, and hose, and only used distilled water. I know there are machines that clean a CPAP completely but I’m not sure which one is most effective. Rainy, I know you have two different machines, which one do you like best? I haven’t used my CPAP since coming home because of the constant, severe allergy-like reaction the last couple of months. I know I could read different reviews but I’d rather get advice from people I know and trust.

I am tired of waking up tired and with a headache and want to resolve this. Also, I’m considering going back out on the road (not close to making a final decision but thinking about it).

Have a great day everyone!

Posted:  8 months, 3 weeks ago

Rainy's Books Came Today

I love her books! Big Scott, I agree completely, very hard to put them down.

Posted:  8 months, 3 weeks ago

Rainy I Swear

Of course it was out of joy. smile.gif Things happen so you never know where you will see me in the future.

Posted:  8 months, 3 weeks ago

Rainy I Swear

When meeting Rainy there are no surprises. She is exactly in person as she is on here...wonderful! I first met her in a truck stop in New Jersey and when she saw me she ran at me yelling. LOL One of my most favorite experiences out on the road. smile.gif

Posted:  9 months ago

Prime CDL Training

Rainy, I’m sure the conversation you and Stephanie had about me was all good. Right? rofl-3.gif

TractorMan, you’re right, I did work my ass off for my CDL and I will be working my ass off to keep it, whatever it takes. I’m constantly thinking about driving so who knows where I will end up in a year or two. Hopefully, some trucking company somewhere will hire me with little experience. Thanks!

Keep the rubber side down!

Posted:  9 months, 1 week ago

Prime CDL Training

Hey drivers! I’ve been reading posts almost daily but have not posted in a while. Today marked my one month at my job and it’s been eh. Not the type of law I’m used to working but it is what it is. I really miss driving and I still dream every night about it and still wake up in a panic sometimes that I didn’t move my tandems before taking off or I didn’t check the pin or whatever. lol I also still wake up thinking I have to walk ALL the way into the truck stop or rest area to use the bathroom or take a shower before realizing my bathroom is just 10 feet away. Ha!

Jeez I miss driving!! I miss the adventure and the challenge and the different types of people and personalities and backgrounds that you run into. I miss the quiet time while driving. I can back up and parallel park a semi but I can’t straight back my little Kia anymore! My brain was rewired in training and it hasn’t straightened itself out yet. lol

Leaving trucking was the best decision for me and that may change but for now I have to do what is best for me and I will continue to live vicariously through all of you.

Please be careful out there and look out for each other. ❤️

Posted:  10 months, 3 weeks ago