Comments By Kim T.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0426737001537974352-79244.jpg avatar
  • Kim T.
  • 1 year, 6 months ago
  • Comments:

Posted:  10 months, 1 week ago

Time to go back

Things are going well. Getting my house back in order, sending out resumes, and getting in my car and going whoever I want whenever I want. lol I do miss driving but coming home was a good decision for me. A friend suggested I drive a coal truck. Ha! Like I want to drive a huge truck down the side of a mountain, on an unpaved, muddy road...no thanks.

Stephanie, I’m glad you are hanging in there and I’m so glad we got to meet while we were both at Prime.

Donna, hang in there. Deep down you know you’ve got this.

Be safe out there!

Posted:  10 months, 2 weeks ago

Time to go back

Donna, the three of us miss you too! But know that we are all here cheering you on. You have been through hell and are still succeeding and I am so proud of you! You have grit and determination and drive. We are here for you any time you want to talk.

Keep on keepin’ on and please be safe out there. Love you my friend!

Posted:  10 months, 3 weeks ago

Prime CDL Training

Thank you everyone. After being home for a week I am happy with my decision to stop driving. Yes, I still stare at semis when I pass one and miss the adventure of driving to new places but, I’m happy being home. I loved driving, I loved the experience, I loved meeting new people and going to new places. Maybe some day. Who knows?

Please be safe and warm out there and have a very Merry Christmas!

Posted:  11 months ago

Well here goes...

For reasons that are my own, I am now home and will no longer be driving. No, I didn’t mess up, I didn’t hit anything, I wasn’t late, etc. Trucking is not a good fit for everyone. I’m one of those people. I succeeded in what I set out to do. I went through the training, got my CDL, drove 30,000 miles with a trainer, upgraded to my own truck. I did not fail. I met amazing people that will be lifelong friends and I went places that I would not have gotten to go to without trucking. Like I said, the reasons are my own and I do not feel I need to elaborate. A few of you know why.

I am going back into the legal field where the devil is the one I know (a very smart lady told me that).

I admire all of you that are doing this day in and day out. My hat is off to you.

Thank you to all of you for your advice, encouragement, reality checks, and laughter.

Be safe!

Posted:  11 months ago

Prime CDL Training

Awwww Rainy, you know I will cook fo you too when you come through Charleston!!

I met Splitter last night!!!!! smile.gif

Posted:  11 months, 1 week ago

Prime CDL Training

If I had still been on home time I would have brought you a home cooked meal. You were practically at my back door when you went through there, you passed within three miles of my house. lol

This running solo stuff is hard! shocked.png

Be safe out there!

Posted:  11 months, 1 week ago

Prime CDL Training

Hi and welcome CK! I’m glad you’ve enjoyed my story so far. It has definitely been an adventure. lol

As for the CPAP, Old School and Rob gave good info. I do know that Prime has a sleep lab right at Campus Inn so it’s convenient. With what you said, I don’t think it will be an issue for you. I was diagnosed three years ago and already had my machine when I was accepted to Prime so all I had to do was bring my machine and send Prime a 30-day compliance report. They monitor my compliance now remotely. That’s a whole lot better than me trying to get to a terminal every month and take my machine to them.

Good luck and if I can be of any help just give a yell.

Posted:  11 months, 1 week ago

Prime CDL Training

LOL No, I didn’t hit anything. It was probably one of the worst parking jobs in trucking history. rofl-2.gif Once the trucks on either side of me pulled out, I fixed it.

In my defense, this is a very small Pilot, there is only one way in and out of the parking area, and there isn’t enough room to turn around. So, if someone got a pic of my crappy parking and posts it online somewhere, more power to ‘em. LOL

Posted:  11 months, 1 week ago

Prime CDL Training

Be sure to look for my parking job tonight on Twisted Truckers. LOL It’s reeeeeally bad. Oh well.

Posted:  11 months, 1 week ago

Prime CDL Training

I’m heading back out on the road after some much needed home time with my family. Funny thing is, I’m heading back to the place where I dropped the last load to pick up an empty. I’m hoping that cursed trailer I had is already gone. lol Fortunately, I’m heading north then west on this load so I’m not running into any storms...I hope. Fingers crossed that this will be an uneventful trip, unlike my last load.

Be safe and warm everyone!

Posted:  11 months, 2 weeks ago

How do trucking companies get you home?

I just started with Prime and last night they had me drop my loaded trailer at the receiver in Ohio, grab an empty from there, drop it at a customer’s lot in Kentucky, then bobtail 80 miles home in West Virginia. It’s parked in my driveway right outside my front door and very close to my son’s bedroom window. Everyone around here knows him and knows not to mess with anything on our property so I felt comfortable bringing it home. With it being here it makes it easier to unload/load.

Posted:  11 months, 2 weeks ago

Got my CDL back!

Congrats!!! dancing-dog.gifdancing-dog.gifdancing-dog.gifdancing-dog.gif

Posted:  11 months, 2 weeks ago

Prime CDL Training

Yes, we had to rock it several time to get it to finally release. It was definitely stubborn but I (and the guy that helped me) were more stubborn. I came to the conclusion that that trailer was cursed...it gave me problems the entire time I had it. I was so glad when I finally dropped it in Ohio and picked up an empty to take closer to home.

After a fight with night dispatch over the off duty/personal conveyance rule I finally got home around 0200 (EST) (I won). My son stayed up to wait on me so that he could shuffle the cars around so I could get my truck in the driveway. So, I’m going to kick back, do some Christmas shopping, cook a belated Thanksgiving dinner for my kids (homemade lasagna), and probably give the kids their gifts since I will be working through Christmas.

Have a great day everyone!

Posted:  11 months, 2 weeks ago

Prime CDL Training

Ernie, thank you for all of your advice and suggestions. I appreciate you so much!

Posted:  11 months, 2 weeks ago

Prime CDL Training

What a crazy first solo load so far! I had my alarm set for 0200 on 12/1 to start my day. Sometime after midnight a tornado decides to touch down close to Springfield. What a way to be woken up...tornado force winds while sleeping in a tractor with no trailer. shocked.png

Ok, so I stayed upright and I started my day. Arrived at the 01 a little before 0500, my load isn’t ready. I’m finally told to back into a dock. This dock...omg! It is extremely narrow with rails on either side of the tandems. When you back up and hit a certain point a bar pops up between the trailer tires. I saw that and thought I broke something so I pulled back up. The bar went back down, so I backed up again. And it did it again. Then I noticed there was a rail for the bar to slide on so I kept going back. Sure enough, the bar moved back too. I got to the door, pulled the parking brake, and shut down. I noticed a yard dog watching me so I went and asked him if I was in the door correctly. He laughed and said yes. He said those rails freak a lot of people out that hasn’t seen them before. *sigh of relief*

Several hours later I go to slide my tenders back and the pin on the passenger side won’t budge. I get my hammer. Nothing. A nice guy was watching me struggle and came over to help. We got them slid. Ok, forward I go. My 14 hour clock is running out so I had to park in a truck parking area. Not a problem.

The next morning I try to start the truck...and nothing. Seven hours later I have a new started. I get to my fuel stop and Comsata is down. Ok, no fuel. By this time it’s about 2030. I knew I was going to have a problem finding a place to park. I finally found one two hours later.

I don’t want nor need anymore stuff like that on this load. I deliver today in Ohio...is that too much to ask?? LOL

Oh the adventures of a newbie solo driver.

Have a great day everyone and be safe!

Posted:  11 months, 3 weeks ago

Prime CDL Training

It’s a condo, lots of space. smile.gif

Posted:  11 months, 3 weeks ago

Prime CDL Training

Thanks everyone! My truck is now clean, the fridge has been bought and installed, all other things have been fixed. So now I have to go to Walmart and get some supplies, load them on the truck, and get a load heading home for a few days. I’m ready for some R&R.

PJ, mine is a nice truck but it will never, in its wildest dreams, be as nice as yours. lol

Elizabeth, welcome!

Ernie, it was nice talking to you this morning. Did you get a chance to check out Tamarack while you were in Beckley?

Thank you all for your support and encouragement over the last several months. I appreciate you all and this site so much.

Posted:  11 months, 3 weeks ago

Prime CDL Training

There isn’t much damage outside but the previous driver had a dog and there is hair and scratches everywhere inside. Oh well. shocked.png

Posted:  11 months, 3 weeks ago

I got my truck today!!

0983018001543367127.jpg0011837001543367160.jpg

Posted:  11 months, 3 weeks ago

Congrats to Donna & Kim!!!!

Thanks everyone! smile.gif