Profile For Marc Lee

Marc Lee's Info

Milwaukee, WI

In CDL School

6 months ago

Marc Lee's Bio

Just earned my License to Learn (CDL-A)!

Posted:  1 day, 19 hours ago

Got my own truck

Congratulations!

Posted:  2 days, 21 hours ago

Going speed limit

I always set my cruise control for whatever the speed limit is. Getting a speeding ticket is not ok with me. So going through Indianapolis last night on 70 I set it for 50, which is the limit. All of the sudden a truck speeds by me blowing his air horn. I am thinking, "you idiot, it's 50 trough here.". Five miles down the road he is getting out of his truck looking all surprised to talk to the officer that pulled him over. You can imagine how big my smile was as I kept rolling past him going the speed limit.

Hope you tooted your air horn!

Once was on the receiving end of that with motorist I blew by on my cycle.

"Friends of yours?" was the Officer's response?

They get it!

Posted:  3 days, 14 hours ago

Right answer I guess!

Right seat again...

Trainer asked how I felt about driving in the snow. I said I didn't know if it answered the question or not but I didn't want to lose my license and my career driving my second week. He said that answered the question.

I guess it really was the right answer as he later said he just wanted to see what I would say.

He had no intention of letting me drive!

And as it turns out... I have learned a bunch today in the yard and not driving. It's not ALL about driving time!

Posted:  3 days, 20 hours ago

Encountered today..

Thats a great shot and really good photography. Thanks.

Ditto!

Posted:  6 days, 16 hours ago

Delivered my first load and returns!

Thank you all - especially Rainy D..

Rainy, you are correct.

I am not thin skinned and not complaining. I am also not !@$/y!

I am just relating my (limited) experience.

Posted:  6 days, 19 hours ago

"Finishing turn" lane and downshifting questions

Thank you all.

I will do as my trainer instructs!

Posted:  1 week ago

"Finishing turn" lane and downshifting questions

Was taught to use the outside lane (if two) when turning left or right. Also was taught to finish the turn in the lane in which I started it.

I know there are some trade-offs in the real world. I see it when driving my Nissan Frontier... trying to do it properly (finishing in same lane) then signaling and changing lanes to get into the lane not going away where 2 merge into 1. Most drivers "drift" lanes and doing it right seems to cause confusion and conflicts.

Heading back to the terminal we have a turn from the exit ramp... 2 right turn lanes onto 4 lanes going in our direction. Trainer goes from outside right into left-most lane... essentially cutting across a lane. I turned mostly into correct lane before signalling and "drifting" and he said I did it wrong. Then... As it turned out...

I made the first light. The second was the left we need to get to the DC. After being critiqued earlier for excessive downshifting coming up to a red light... I could have easily gotten down to 6 in the 10-speed and rolled on through as the light changed. Instead I clutched in to brake and struggled slightly to get it into 6 to roll on. The stop he had the issue with was done safely... no problem... might have even gotten one more in! We were taught "highest low gear" and "lowest high gear" for lights and signs (forget which for which). GEESH! HELP PLEASE!!!

Are these concessions to real world vs. classroom? Hard to know what to do. I have occasionally explained "this is how I was taught" when he can't understand why for life of me I would do some of these things!

FYI... he trained with J.B. Hunt for a week or so before getting on a Trainer's truck briefly. He did many things before recently coming back to Hunt but has been driving for 25 years and training for a while. He is a great driver and mostly patient teacher. I feel lucky to be driving with him.

Wednesday I am driving all day (2 runs) unless it is not possible due to distances or a back-haul (not a "sweep" return).

Thanks!

Posted:  1 week ago

Delivered my first load and returns!

After a week of ride-alongs, drop and hook (and hook and drop) they finally figured out what to do to get me driving.

Ran this morning right-seat. Came back to D.C., got my trailer and hauled it about 1.5 hrs. from Oconomowoc, WI to Glenview, IL. Did the "double drop" thing we do for Target" and dropped the trailer with returns (pull through) at the yard.

Forgot several steps (including putting the lock on the drop). Just one last "oops" before heading back. Trainer gave me a bunch of criticism but on my way home I got a "You did pretty good today" text.

Posted:  1 week ago

Passed my CDL

The subject says it all.

The inspector said he thought I was sharking him. When I didn't know what he meant he said he thought maybe I already had my license. I said no, I haven't ever had a CDL, he said OK, and got out of the truck. My instructor said he told him he wished all his tests were so easy. I later told my instructor what he said, and he said, Oh, he thought you were a plant from DOT checking up on him.

He stopped me during the brake check after the fan down tests and asked what else I would do, then said OK, skip it, then told me don't bother calling out hazards.

I did all the maneuvers in one shot, no GOAL and no pullup. I was about to get out on the parallel and double check my position when he started picking up the cones.

H.O. Wolding texted me to wish me good luck right before the test.

Way to go Grumpy!

That's awesome!

Posted:  1 week ago

Discussion on Roundabouts

I usually find myself occupying most of both lanes, when there are two. I’m driving in the outer lane, but trailer still off-tracks into inner lane. The four-wheelers afford me space... even though I’m going at it slowly, I’m not in the roundabout for very long. Unlike The Griswolds.

Did a bunch in class. Discussed yesterday with trainer in truck. Some (mostly on truck routes) are designed for us. Some are not. Looks like the trick is recognizing early which it is, setting up properly and protecting all lanes which are needed.

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

7 month update with Jb hunt

Will post more in a bit, probably in the Training Diaries area.

1 day orientation & safety training in Chicago (most done online previously)...

Day off. Then showed up at Target DC in Oconomowoc, WI. Pretty much ridding along... dropping and hooking... (all "double drops"). Couple of lame backing attempts in yard. Was about to drive a stint but not in system to be assigned to my Trainer's truck. Hoping they fixed it and I will get to drive Sunday.

Trainer is great. He said my training will last 2 - 6 weeks... it all depends on me! (I was told 4).

So far so good!

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

I'm currently in the military, but I'm strongly considering getting a CDL just for the potential opportunities it opens up when I get out?

Thank you for your service.

J.B. Hunt is very supportive of Veterans and should definitely be on your list. They provide free training for Vets and even put custom cammo graphics on their trucks!

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

The new article on humility

Yes, thanks G-Town. That one rocked!

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

This... I'm completely stunned. 2nd year in a row

Thanks. I'm still very shocked.

Congratulations! No doubt you earned it!

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

Truckers Against Trafficking

Oh. They were going to buy Frostys.

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

Truckers Against Trafficking

Every class my (now former) teacher waits until he hears someone use the term "lot lizzard" and then he plays the video. Hasn't failed yet!

Video says the majority of the women who solicit at truck stops are under some form of coercion. The "woman" featured in the video was walking to Wendy's with her best friend (both about 15 at the time) when they were grabbed. They were "turned out" at truck stops with threats against family members. An alert trucker called authorities. They were rescued and a large sex trafficking ring was shut down. Many were saved and many more never taken as a result of one driver's action.

It is real and drivers can make a real difference.

Posted:  2 weeks, 2 days ago

7 month update with Jb hunt

Thank guys if not for tt I’d probably still be on a lift loading truck and dreaming about driving them. And Marc lee no apologies needed that was funny and also if you have any questions if I can answer them I will. I wish you well and hope your experience is as great as mine has been if you don’t mind me asking where is your orientation?

Glad you found it amusing BucketHead!

I am based just N. and W. of Milwaukee. I go to Chicago Sunday night. For some reason we need an hour to pile in a shuttle 5:30 AM for a 6:30 start at the Terminal Monday. They say I will be done about 2:30 - 3PM.

I return home and start training Tuesday or Wednesday at the Target D.C. in Oconomowoc (about 30 min. from home). I was told I will get "my truck" (does that EVER get old?) in 2 or 3 days and have the option to sleep in it if I wish. (Not sure if I will drive it or Trainer's truck). After 4 weeks on the Target account I am slated to go (solo I think) at Amazon in Kenosha. It would not surprise me to spend a little time there working with someone before being turned loose on my own but it was made clear that the majority of my training will be done @ Target.

Love to hear where you are based, what you have run, what you are doing now, etc..

You are now the 2nd J.B. Hunt driver I "know"!

Posted:  2 weeks, 3 days ago

Training is done, rookie solo driver next week

Today I completed my company training. Two weeks at the training center, two weeks with my OTR trainer. It was a great experience over the past two weeks. We drove almost 5000 miles and I drove about 90% of the time. My road trainer was great, I think I was lucky to get him. Great teacher, great person and he had some great stories. Some of those stories were so funny he better quit telling them because I almost ran off the road laughing. That being said, it was hard for me being cooped up with someone in a small space for 24 hours and 10 days. Glad it's over and I get my truck next week. Then the new LEARNING adventure begins. I'm in the process of writing a journal of all the great advice I received from my trainer. Especially the things he told me I need to work on. After every day we drove, I wrote down all his advice and corrections I could remember and I think this was a good habit. I would encourage all new drivers to do this to reinforce the knowledge received from the trainer. The only bummer is that all my training was in a manual and I got very comfortable with it by the end. After we got back to the training center I was told I'm being assigned an AMT because there wasn't a manual available. I'm a little disappointed because I enjoy the challenge of a manual. How do other drivers like the AMTs?

Congratulations Bruce K..

That's awesome! Can't wait to read about it!

Posted:  2 weeks, 3 days ago

7 month update with Jb hunt

Hey guys just checking checking in and letting everyone know how it’s going. And so far it’s great. I’ve been with Jb 7 months and just got my fourth truck. Sounds crazy but only one breakdown I haven’t been messing them up first was up for trade second broke down and after 4 days the said u can wait or repower and last night they sent me in for a detail for company event and said here just grab this one a new cascadia. Fm called me bout 20 minutes after said hope you like it you earned it. It’s got the auto trans it’s pretty cool but I reach for the shifter that’s not there. But things have been great. I went in with the starter company mindset because that’s what everyone was telling me there a good starter but Brett’s about that has proven to be correct why would I want to start over. Things are great here money miles and most important the relationships I’m developing when my fm and I chat on the phone we talk like friends or coworkers not boss and employee. He keeps me moving and I try and keep him busy by trying to get unloaded early or whatever I can. I don’t complain just take my load and carry on. And usually there’s a awesome load right behind it. I was late once I mismanaged my time that was a hard lesson learned not was i late on that Load but now I was late on the next three on one end or the other. Thank god I ran out of hours and was able to reset. I found out the hard way why everyone says don’t EVER BE LATE. And about communication we talked about it and so far all has been well. I’ve gotten a raise a new truck and now an invitation to hq for lunch and a tour. But I know I haven’t made a year yet but I don’t see myself going anywhere anytime soon. To me a year is just a milestone and a goal just to say I have made it. It’s been hard sometimes it’s like everything is against me and mostly it’s I can’t believe I’m getting paid for this. I’ve tried 3 dedicated accounts and it’s just not for me once was just to help out before Christmas. But I just can’t stand the same places same roads over and over it was making me crazy. I’ve almost hit 3000 miles twice it’s a personal goal. But other than that things are well backing is getting better and trip planning getting a lot better at first I was 100 miles past where I wanted or short now I have plans a-z. Things change at moments notice. I still stay out a month at a time and life on the road is becoming second nature and the coming and going is getting easier with the family. I think the biggest part about anyone considering a career is to stick it out it takes time to found out if this is for you. It’s going to be hard real hard but if your a go getter a hard worker and can keep a good attitude you will survive. And what ever you do don’t be late because if you out you’ll probably be late for your funeral it really throws a wrench in the mix. But 7 months in I’m having a blast and there are times I’m down and consider a different path but I get on here and get my self back on track. So for now I’m done rattling on y’all stay safe.

Thanks Buckwheat! SO great to read!

I start with J.B. Hunt Monday!

OOPS! SORRY! BucketHead!

Posted:  2 weeks, 3 days ago

7 month update with Jb hunt

Thanks Buckwheat! SO great to read!

I start with J.B. Hunt Monday!