Comments By Marc Lee

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0819564001555130575-80640.jpg avatar
  • Marc Lee
  • 9 months ago
  • Comments:

Posted:  5 days, 4 hours ago

A Duie Pyle

Don't drive like MY brother!

Posted:  5 days, 7 hours ago

Good youtube trucking channel

That is it!!! I am starting a YouTube Channel.... i jist need a GoFundMe first to pay for my makeup so i dont scare anyone lol

Rainy,

The Flatbed Chick doesn't wear much makeup - she lets her natural beauty come through. That's a large part of her appeal.

You'll do just fine!

Of course her dog is pretty cool too! (She had her own channel for a while too!)

rofl-1.gif

Posted:  5 days, 17 hours ago

Good youtube trucking channel

Here is the link to my favorite YouTube trucker. Super positive. Vasiliy Agiy

Thanks Daniel. Stumbled on his "Worst Last Day Trucking" video a while back. Didn't realize he is still posting and, it looks like, going back to trucking. Not sure.

I am a Coffee Snob trying to get into trucking!

Will check out more of his vids.

Staying away from Smart Trucking- thanks Brett!

Posted:  1 week, 1 day ago

YRC's long-haul unit and 2 key regional units could go out of business if unionized workers vote down a tent. CBA

If Jimmy Hoffa was alive today, he’d turn over in his grave.

I get the point. Though, of course, there ain't no grave 'cause they never found the body!

Posted:  1 week, 1 day ago

Bonus post: I was able to recover my long entry after I thought I lost it by hitting the "Menu" button!

Posted:  1 week, 1 day ago

Less-than-truckload (LTL) carrier YRC Worldwide’s (NASDAQ:YRCW) long-haul unit and its two key regional units could go out of business by the end of May should unionized workers vote down a tentative five-year collective-bargaining agreement early next month, the head of the Teamsters union’s freight division has warned.

Ernie Soehl told the rank-and-file on a nationwide conference call on the evening of April 10 that customers will pull their freight from the three units should members vote down the contract on May 3, the date when the results are to be announced. If customers react in such a manner, long-haul carrier YRC Freight and regional carriers Holland and New Penn Motor Express will likely not last until May 31, the date a two-month extension to the existing agreement is set to expire, Soehl said.

YRC’s shippers are closely monitoring the status of the contract talks, Soehl said. Should the tentative agreement be rejected, “it is my personal opinion, and the opinion of the (negotiating) committee, that we will not make it to May 31,” he said. Shippers threatened to pull business in the days leading up to the tentative agreement at the end of March, and some accounts have already defected, Soehl added. The extension was designed to keep the business stable while the rank-and-file reviews the proposal and votes on it.

Soehl’s blunt assessment means that for the third time in less than a decade, YRC’s unionized workers will vote on an agreement as if the company’s fate depended on it. In 2010, faced with the strong prospects of YRC going out of business, the rank-and-file ratified a contract calling for punishing pension cuts and 15 percent wage reductions. Then in 2014, the members approved a memorandum of understanding (MOU) which effectively extended the terms of the 2010 agreement, although it did call for wage increases, albeit off the reduced base. The members rejected management’s first proposal, leading the company to warn that there “was no plan B” and that liquidation could be the result of a “no” vote. YRC’s lenders had conditioned future financing latitude strictly on a successful extension of the 2010 compact.

Now the threat of a contract rejection leading to the company’s dissolution comes from the union’s leadership. A rejection would be tantamount to the members authorizing a strike against YRC, Soehl said. But a strike would likely never come to pass because there would be no business left by the time a walkout took place, he added.

Neither YRC nor a spokesman for the union’s freight division responded to requests for comment.

About 24,000 Teamsters are employed at YRC, according to company estimates. (other estimates put it as high as 30,000 members. That includes members in a fourth unit, Reddaway, which is governed under a separate labor contract. YRC is one of the last – and the largest – truckers that were part of the once-mighty Teamsters’ freight division. At its peak prior to deregulation in the late 1970s, the division boasted more than 500,000 members. Since truck deregulation occurred in 1980, mergers, bankruptcies and the advent of non-union carriers have decimated the union contracts. The division has around 50,000 members today.

The contract proposal, which has received near-unanimous backing from local leaders, calls for a $4 per hour wage increase for most workers, spread out over five years, with a $1 per hour increase that would be effective immediately. The contract would be retroactive to April 1, 2019. That translates to an 18 percent increase for most workers over the contract’s life. The contract eliminates the current MOU, and no longer pegs wage increases to the lower thresholds. “A dollar is a dollar, not 85 cents,” Soehl said on the call.

YRC agreed to increase its annual contributions to the members’ health and welfare fund. The current pension levels would remain the same; the 2010 agreement froze pension contributions for a couple of years and resumed them at about 25 percent of prior levels.

The proposal restores one week’s paid vacation for workers that had earned four weeks vacation or more. That concession was made in 2010 and extended in the MOU. All unionized workers will get the additional one week’s pay, which will add 14,000 hours of pay per year, Soehl said.

The agreement establishes a class of non-Commercial Driver License driver who would handle local cartage rather than having YRC contract out the work to a non-union vendor. It also protects the higher wage for a CDL driver performing non-CDL driver functions. The pact prohibits the use of autonomous vehicles or drones for transporting freight. It allows, for the first time, the Holland regional unit to use purchased transportation, but caps the utilization to 8 percent of Holland total annual miles driven. It also empowers union negotiators to unilaterally curb or eliminate the purchased transportation programs at Holland and YRC Freight, where it has been in effect, on a limited scale, for five years.

Soehl said the union has extracted all the financial juice it could squeeze out of Overland Park, Kansas-based YRC. The company, Soehl said, doesn’t have another penny to spend beyond what it has agreed to in the five-year pact.

Posted:  1 week, 1 day ago

CPAP Alternative Power Option!

Thanks Bruce. (I meant on the topic at hand specifically).

I appreciate your kind words.

thank-you.gifthank-you-2.gif

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

CPAP Alternative Power Option!

We get it marc, you're itching to get back at it.

Gee. Is it THAT obvious?

However, you're trying to "fix" things that aren't really an issue.

sorry.gif

Thought I had something of value to offer here.

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

CPAP Alternative Power Option!

Marc, why would you need such a complicated system if the truck had an APU?

And any addition to a Schneider truck has to be approved by the company or the driver could very well lose his job.

Bruce... a bit confused.

That's pretty much what Kurt said Schneider provided to him.

If a car-sized battery (which can be charged from a "cigarette lighter outlet) and small inverter (which all fits in a small bag) can run a CPAP for 3 nights and Schneider actually provided one to one of their drivers... I don't really see the issue. Didn't realize the relatively low draw. Simpler the better.

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

Got a new truck! 😁

Happy New Truck!

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

Stuck getting repairs done at Jurupa Valley

Well thanks for all of the replies.

Grumpy

I feel for ya. Be stuck at a terminal isn't as bad as being stuck on the road broke down.

Yes VP in Arizona is climbing on top of my DM. And as they say, rolls down line. The mechanics are getting ****ed off. They don't see what the big deal is seeing there aren't that many that are idling all the time but my DM has 4 of us on his board. Above 50%. The mechanics are saying that this way the battery, alternator and inverter stay in tune and donot havethe chance of dragging on each other. I have made 10 trips between my DM'Sdesk and the mechanic shop. This will be my exercise for the week.

Raptor

Raptor... see new topic "CPAP Alternative Power Option"

EASY PROBLEM TO SOLVE!

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

CPAP Alternative Power Option!

That's exactly what I got from Schneider. My truck batteries wouldn't run the cpap all night when it was cold out, so they gave me a canvas carry bag with a battery in it (car battery size), a charger, and a small power inverter. During the day I would plug the inverter into a 12 volt outlet and plug the charger into it to charge the battery while I was driving, then at night I had a female 12 volt connector with battery clips, and the 12 volt power supply which came with the cpap machine. Worked great. The battery would actually run the cpap machine for several nights without recharging.

Thanks Kurt. Pretty much what I thought though several nights of power was more than I hoped fot. Not crazy about battery clips but a pigtail and plug (thinking Battery Tender for motorcycles setup) could impact that one!

Not exactly rocket science here!

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

CPAP Alternative Power Option!

Just thought I'd post it here rather than try to find the original thread.

Not sure how much power those things use but even if it only allows you to slightly reduce idling... what about creating your own power setup? Inverters and batteries can be purchased and wired up. Battery / batteties can charge while driving (hard wired or cig. lighter type outlet). It can be isolated from the rest of the electrical system. Biggest trick would be a device to cut over to APU power when needed. Pretty sure that is possible too.

OR... what if you just used this system as a backup power system to insure a way to be able to start the truck? A marine type manual battery disconnect could be flipped to start the dead truck battery.

I know this shouldn't really be the driver's problem. Just throwing out some ideas.

Of course anything needs to be well secured and safe. (Sealed batteries best, not too in the way and of course no exposed connections etc.).

Maybe shop and DM can brainstorm and provide a 3rd power source scenario...

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

Rest stop activity

Can't make this stuff up!

shocked.png

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

Georgia

Brake enforcement blitz coming up... June I think. Maybe they are practicing!

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

My rant!

Marc, that’s hilarious You might not be Donna’s friend anymore with that pic!

Too bad! It's a pretty nice old bus!

And I always leave LOTS of room when passing... of course I can't really pull a tow vehicle (properly anyway). Don't believe in "wheels down" TOADs!

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

Getting A Lot of Walmart Loads With Prime

I seem to recall Brett getting fired for being early... Great storey and lessons. It's in his book! (Available to read online here for free but well worth buying the paper version!)

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

Stuck getting repairs done at Jurupa Valley

At least you are st a shop. I’m on the side of the road. Brake chamber went

BUMMER!

sorry.gif

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

My rant!

Oops. So I guess I need to put the photo on a photo site and share a link to it...

OK. Temporarily changing profile pic!

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

Thinking of Packrat...

PackRat. Amazing!

You are truly inspiring!

I hope to do even remotely as well with my little upcoming procedure.