Profile For Grumpy Old Man

Grumpy Old Man's Info

Grand Island, NY

Company Driver In Training

5 months, 3 weeks ago

Grumpy Old Man's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Grumpy Old Man's Photo Gallery Group 1 of 4

Posted:  4 minutes ago

Packed and ready to head out to Wolding.

Thanks everyone.

Two hours in and slow going. Ignoring the GPS telling me the road is closed. Lol

It is tiring being on high alert every second though. Just hit PA, maybe it’s a little better here.

508 miles today. Not bad for an amateur. Was crappy roads from Buffalo to Just past Cleveland.

Must have been bad by Toledo, saw about a dozen crashed semis. One looked like someone picked it up with a crane and set it across the ditch. No tracks and no damage I saw but the ditch was at least 4 feet deep and 5 feet wide.

I heard 80/90 tollway thru Indiana had a bunch of wrecks up and down it. But that was a day and a half ago. What route are you taking thru Indiana? Most of the side roads in Indiana are still all jacked up. If you don’t want to take the tollway thru, US-20 is your best bet. I would still take the tollway in Ohio though. After the toll plaza before you cross into Indiana is an exit. Just head north on that road and us-20 is the first intersection.

I spent the night in Michigan City, IN

I’m headed to the Milwaukee bus station as soon as I can get packed up to rescue a stranded student. I think he is an experienced driver that was supposed to get in yesterday.

Posted:  8 hours, 53 minutes ago

Packed and ready to head out to Wolding.

Thanks everyone.

Posted:  9 hours, 3 minutes ago

Help your fellow driver

Awesome story

Posted:  22 hours, 49 minutes ago

Packed and ready to head out to Wolding.

Thanks everyone.

Posted:  1 day, 1 hour ago

Packed and ready to head out to Wolding.

Just plowed the driveway, packed up the car and I’m ready to head to Wolding

Spending the night halfway to visit a long time friend I have only known over the internet.

Posted:  1 day, 5 hours ago

Tractor Man is Back!

Nice to meetchya, as they say in the midwest. smile.gif

Posted:  1 day, 5 hours ago

OTR Ride Along Training Question

Mac, it's fine if you prefer to keep the subject quiet, but you'll have to discuss it with recruiters. We can't help much if we don't know what we're dealing with.

I don't know of any companies that don't require you to ride/drive in a truck with a trainer. These trainers have seen it all, and are making considerable sacrifices to invite new drivers into their living space. I am sure you can work it out, but you are going to have to discuss it with a recruiter before getting a job.

Thanks a ton Old School! You have been really helpful and thorough and I really appreciate that. I don't really want to post specifics on a public forum (and I don't see any private message options) so I am sorry for the frustration that may have caused you trying to help me but again I really do appreciate it.

Change your profile picture and even location if you want, and any other personal info, and fire away. No one knows who you are, public or not.

Posted:  1 day, 18 hours ago

Trying to ID year/model. Older rig.

Photo

I reposted the link

Posted:  1 day, 21 hours ago

Going speed limit

I always set my cruise control for whatever the speed limit is. Getting a speeding ticket is not ok with me. So going through Indianapolis last night on 70 I set it for 50, which is the limit. All of the sudden a truck speeds by me blowing his air horn. I am thinking, "you idiot, it's 50 trough here.". Five miles down the road he is getting out of his truck looking all surprised to talk to the officer that pulled him over. You can imagine how big my smile was as I kept rolling past him going the speed limit.

Hope you tooted your air horn!

I had the same thought. :)

Posted:  2 days ago

PA interstates shutdown

It's going to get pretty bad over here in New York.

0070780001547900879.jpg

I actually drove all night to deliver my load early ahead of the storm, 575 miles which doesn't seem like a lot. But it is when you can only go 63MPH. Lucky there is a nice truck stop less then half a mile from the customer with a great restaurant! I'm also taking my 34 hour reset, so hopefully it'll be cleaning up by the time I start again. But we'll see how that goes.

Where in NY are you?

I'm in Wilton, NY, it's supposed to start snowing here around 3-4pm today they say.

If I were still in school, I would come visit. :)

Posted:  2 days ago

To Ease Your Mind About Winter Driving...

Grumpy said:

Thank you for this. Though I have told my wife this many times, I'm not sure she didn't think deep down that I was just saying it to make her feel better

She felt much better after I showed it to her and explained what it was. .

Cool. Thats what I was.hoping for. My family was nervous too, and I know.many drivers from the south who never saw a harsh winter are nervous.

Tell your wife dispatch doesn't want Rainy coming after them, so they won't push you into anything lol More people for my dungeon lol

We are in the snow belt, so I know how to drive in snow, maybe she thinks I'll push my luck because of it, but I have no desire to die, be maimed, kill someone else, or lose my job or license. If it is dangerous, I'll park.

LOL, I'll tell her.

Posted:  2 days, 1 hour ago

Truck Driver Hits School Bus Kills Kid While Changing Clothes

All to avoid losing 2 minutes.

Posted:  2 days, 1 hour ago

To Ease Your Mind About Winter Driving...

I drove 587 miles yesterday to get out of PA and through Oh. I had 9 min left to my driving clock when I got to the first rest stop west of Indianapolis. At 4:30 am My weather alerts started sounding on my phone. High winds, ice and blowing snow through St. Louis. Heading to AR. Same exact route I was on when I had to shut down last weekend just going the opposite way. Frozen nuggets again. Lol. No qualms about it this time. I am not driving till these alerts lift. Got a big 10-4 from my FM. I just gave him the alert info I had, informed him I had enough fuel in my truck and reefer and DEF, and that today was not the day I was going to end up in a ditch.

Hunker down and ride it out.

I leave in the morning to go from Buffalo to Amherst, WI. Hopefully they keep the roads clear.

Posted:  2 days, 1 hour ago

PA interstates shutdown

It's going to get pretty bad over here in New York.

0070780001547900879.jpg

Where in NY are you?

Posted:  2 days, 9 hours ago

Prime Inc Automatic only

Yeah, driving on the road will be much better than practicing backing on the pad, but I'm OK with either one.

Posted:  2 days, 10 hours ago

Bittersweet ending

good-luck.gif

Posted:  2 days, 10 hours ago

First day on the shifting simulator

I had to constantly say "clutch, neitral clutch, shift" and "clutch, neutral, rev, clutch, shift". try it slow a few times then speed it up

yep, I was taught clutch neutral, clutch gear. And shift about the same tempo as you can say that in normal conversation.

Posted:  2 days, 10 hours ago

Two right turn lanes....

The way I was taught is if you’re taking a right turn , use the inside lane towards the curb but ride white line and borrow over as needed , left turn is outside lane ..

Well then you were taught wrong. You can't "borrow over as needed" to your left while you're making a right hand turn because the left side of your trailer is a blindspot. How can you move over into that lane when there is almost certainly traffic there that you can't see?

Yea , I thought that sounded odd , sure way to an accident or running someone into traffic .

Yep unless the right lane is designed for it, I'll be using the left.

Posted:  2 days, 10 hours ago

Prime Inc Automatic only

After 2 weeks of shifting continuously for 4 hours a day, I don't care if I never see another stick, and my hip is praying I don't.

Posted:  2 days, 10 hours ago