Profile For Grumpy Old Man

Grumpy Old Man's Info

Grand Island, NY

Rookie Solo Driver

9 months, 3 weeks ago

Grumpy Old Man's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Grumpy Old Man's Photo Gallery Group 1 of 6

Posted:  1 day, 6 hours ago

My understanding of the split sleeper berth rule

The day before TOTALLY matters.

You had more than 2 hours off duty at home.

Therefore that counted as the start of an 8/2 split.

So add 22 to the time you came out of off duty from home and THAT is your 14.

When you then did 9 in the sleeper,

you would have had the couple hours you drove between home time and the 9 sleeper.... 11 hours minus those couple hours is what you had left.

Then you later took another 2 hours off duty/sleeper.... so that was ANOTHER 8/2 split.

you basically did a rolling 8/2 whivh will never allow you to get a full 11/24

Ah. Ok

Posted:  1 day, 8 hours ago

11000 lbs one piece

Surprised they ran this in a box, instead of a skateboard.

Rick

That was exactly my thought.

Posted:  1 day, 8 hours ago

Eye Candy

Saw this today.

Driver said he has the usual fridge, microwave, etc., plus an induction cooktop, 48” flatscreen, toilet, and shower.

As he said, it’s the only way to truck. The downside is he can only haul 37,000 pounds

He has a matching trailer but it is in the shop

0426378001558697996.jpg

Posted:  1 day, 8 hours ago

Going to CDL School soon and nervous about backing a trailer!

If it makes you feel any better, I made it through CDL school, through two months of riding with a trainer, and now just finished two months solo yesterday.

I’m not sure exactly when it happened but within the past two weeks I FINALLY got over being terrified of having to back in anywhere. Truck stop, dock, whatever. Now I am merely anxious, but it doesn’t terrify me. LOL

Posted:  1 day, 8 hours ago

My understanding of the split sleeper berth rule

My clock from 5/22 in case it matters.

I was working on home time, in case you are wondering why the odd pattern.

I went in and dropped and hooked in the morning so I was sure to have a trailer to leave that night.

0501871001558695381.jpg

Posted:  1 day, 8 hours ago

My understanding of the split sleeper berth rule

I understand it well and all if you are confusing me lol. Its very simple. ANY 8 hour sleeper berth will pause or stop that 14 hour clock and at the end of that 8 hours in the sleeper, you'll have exactly what you had at the point you went into the sleeper.

This part is still confusing me though. I stopped last night with only a couple hours left on my drive time.

Here is my graph from yesterday.

0777734001558694838.jpg

This is my hours available this morning after 8 hrs in sleeper berth. I thought I took a picture of the graph but apparently I took two of the summary.

0119402001558695045.jpg

It looks like I was driving and on duty for a total of 9 hours. So if I got the remainder of yesterday’s 14 shouldn’t I have only gotten 5 hours back?

Posted:  1 day, 9 hours ago

My understanding of the split sleeper berth rule

Good for you Grumpy!

I was dog tired when I read your post. I thought you meant you were expecting to have a full eleven/fourteen after your 2 hour nap. I clearly misread your statement.

I'm glad you experimented with it. There's times that rule is really helpful.

No problem.

I thought I was going to need to use it again today, but I was able to creep around the building in sleeper berth to get to a door to unload. So in 7 minutes, I’ll log my pretrip that I did this morning, and go on the clock so I get paid. Being hourly, I work differently than mileage guys. If I were paid mileage I would remain in sleeper berth until I unloaded, and start with a fresh clock.

Posted:  1 day, 15 hours ago

My understanding of the split sleeper berth rule

You don't have to use the 8 hour period in conjunction with an 8/2 split.

If you do choose to do a split, do your 8 in the sleeper then get up and start driving. Before that drive time is up, take a 2 hour break. That can be either in the sleeper or off duty. At that point you'll have the equivalent of a 10 hour break (11/14 hour clock) MINUS whatever time you drove between the END of the 8 hour sleeper and the 2 hour break.

Its very simple and your e-logs will do the hours available calculations for you.

I highly recommend that anyone who doesn't understand it, to go through the high road hos section. I also recommend trying it a couple times so you can better understand how it works.

ThT is what I did. Maybe I didn’t explain it well

Posted:  1 day, 17 hours ago

My understanding of the split sleeper berth rule

Taking my 2 hour now, hoping I am correct that my 11 and my 14 clocks will restart at the end of my 9 hours in sleeper berth this morning.

I don't think you understand it yet. You may be a Grumpy Old Man when you see what your clock looks like after that nap.

I’m confused, because it seemed to work as I expected. I ended up with time to get where I needed to be in any case.

Posted:  1 day, 22 hours ago

Seven Years Ago The Adventure Began

Congratulations on a nice milestone

Posted:  1 day, 22 hours ago

My understanding of the split sleeper berth rule

About to find out if I understand it.

I woke up this morning to weather alerts and having been through weather that was almost a tornado ( warning said tornado imminent take shelter now) and being thrown to the ground by the wind, I looked st my clock and saw I had 8 hours available and beat feet.

Otherwise I will be driving all night, which I hate.

Oh yes, and to whoever it was that suggested the night glasses, they do help a bit.

Posted:  1 day, 22 hours ago

You might be a trucker if......

I am terrified as a passenger in a 4 wheeler now. I keep my head buried in the phone and don’t look up.

I trust my wife’s driving completely, so it isn’t because they are driving poorly.

I just keep seeing hazards way ahead and have to stop myself from yelling “ get on the brakes, get on the brakes”.

I finally told my wife so she wouldn’t get ticked off because I was on my phone do much. Luckily she understood, found it funny, actually

Posted:  3 days ago

Terminated by Schneider

My only remaining question is how old he is. Sounds like a child.

Good riddance. Hopefully no one ever puts you behind the wheel again

Posted:  3 days ago

Transflo Mobile

I’ve had that problem once, in low light

Posted:  4 days ago

Terminated by Schneider

When I went otr to a company , I happen to have a delivery in my home state. I informed my trainer there is a very large dip and sharp turn on I-90 . He was from my same state but didn’t actually know the state ( guess he was new ). Anyway he didn’t believe me. When I got to it, I slowed down to about 35mph , made the turn and got a critical event for going too slow on the highway and roll over . They pulled up the gps, talked to me about it. And was cleared. Nice and easy

I’m local now and we have forward and rear facing cameras. When I hard brake, turn to fast, hit bumps, they camera goes off and records 8 seconds prior and 8 seconds after. Third party company actively reviews it and if I did turn to fast, they’ll send it to my job. But if everything is ok. They’ll move on. In a large truck you’d be surprised what even a sudden jerk or medium braking would do to the load ( I only read the first page )

If I drove a truck with this system on I90 in NY and MA, they would be convinced I had taken flight. There are places I feel like I am going to be tossed right off the road.

I have a simple collision mitigation system, and hit bumps so hard it will turn off the cruise and disable it. It picks up overhead road signs, cars exiting, won't let me pass vehicles in a left hand curve, etc.

Posted:  5 days, 2 hours ago

Foot cramps

Also make sure you are drinking enough water. Cramps are a symptom of dehydration

Posted:  6 days ago

Fired from Swift

Did you pay for your CDL or go to Swift’s company school?

Posted:  6 days, 1 hour ago

Truckers Path new routing highly inaccurate

In order to get a ballpark figure for driving time. I compare total miles for trip on load information on QC, with miles on google maps. Figure 50 mph. 500 mile trip, approximately 10 hours. There are variables, but it is a good place to start. I try to keep it simple.

Yes I use TP for the same thing. It’s quicker than putting it in my gps.

Posted:  6 days, 1 hour ago

Truckers Path new routing highly inaccurate

They also added their "Gold Membership" for truck-specific routing stating in the forum (within their app) that Silver Members only receive car specific navigation to which I asked why on earth would people PAY to use an app called TRUCKER Path for car specific directions when google maps work JUST fine for free.

I'm still waiting for their reply.

For the predictive parking info, which is pretty much worthless.

Posted:  6 days, 1 hour ago

New driver legs and but are killing me!

I must be doing something right because I haven't had any issues with my back since I had sciatica during training. I carry a tennis ball with me and anytime I get even a hint of sciatica I use the tennis ball to loosen up the area just check out on YouTube exercises for sciatica with a tennis ball. Like I said as far as my legs I tried to stretch keep the blood flowing as I'm driving and since I drive a reefer we have to send in periodic temperature reports and I make sure to walk around the truck at least three times. Really does wonders

That is what I am wondering. Does he have sciatica.

Also make sure you drink plenty of water. I was dehydrated and my calves kept cramping