Comments By Michael B.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0420678001549976913-81694.jpg avatar

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Taking a shower on the road

So basically everyone felt like RebelliousVamp really......sucked......oh common, you know it was funny!!!

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Went solo today, new Cascadia with collision avoidance system

The microwave slides in a space above that and then there's the stupid bin thingy directly above that.

I've probably blackened my eye a while ago. The build quality is so poor on these trucks, cabinet bin doors randomly pop open.. one hit me in the corner of my right eye. I hate this fcking truck.

I truly hate to hear that as it looks like our trucks are about the same inside. Same cabinets in mine, at least I now know to watch for them to pop open on their own. I hope my experience in this truck dont match yours judging by your last sentence quoted above. You probably started out loving your truck like I do now.

So I unpacked the mattress for the lower bunk today, boy does it leave a LOT to be desired! lol. I looked it up and it figures to be a twin XL. I will be buying a new one soon! Without having called around yet I assume any mattress store should carry them?

Do we leave the inverter turned on all the time or does it need to be off when an appliance is not in direct use?

Thanks to all for the congrats and well wishes!

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Went solo today, new Cascadia with collision avoidance system

A bigger question is what is available to screw to? I can show you plenty of TV mounts, but I assume you can't just screw into the wall of the truck.

If Michael can see the screws, and measure distance between them, I can probably find a working mount.

Grumpy, Susan, I cannot tell what its mounted to without removing the wall panel. Here is a wide view so if you want to have your panel removed to have someone mount it you know about where mine is mounted. Its pretty solid so there has to be something behind the panel to mount to.

0146401001544368005.jpg

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

Went solo today, new Cascadia with collision avoidance system

0510184001544318638.jpg0564566001544318707.jpg

Susan, the table top you see to the left is the top of my fridge under the microwave. The strap on the right is the netting for the bottom bunk.

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

Went solo today, new Cascadia with collision avoidance system

Mine has an APU with an 1800 watt inverter. I've got 110 outlets where the microwave goes and also by the fridge door/bottom bunk area, along with numerous 12v outlets.

Could you please take a picture of your swivel TV mount for me? I'd like to see it because my TV still rides on my bunk as I've not found a suitable mount for it yet.

Susan here are two pics of it, the swivel is mounted on the bunk side below the microwave slot. My microwave slot has a 12 volt dc plug on the bottom left side of the microwave slot, I dont see any 110 plugs there. Where might yours be located? The only 110 plugs I see are the two actually on the 1800 watt inverter which is mounted on the front bottom of my bunk. I have no APU, the truck has an auto idle shut off. I am about to read the paperwork and manuals that I have but let me know if anyone knows, how do I override that so I can idle the truck, I am going to bring a Basset Hound with me after I get more comfortable in the truck (dont want the added distraction of an animal until then for safety). Well Susan, I cant figure out how to put a picture in here so if you could help me out...I do the upload new photo, click on my pic then hit go and it says please enter a caption and nothing happens.

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

Went solo today, new Cascadia with collision avoidance system

Congratulations again.

Two, no three questions...

Which great company put you in this fine machine?

Plastic still on the seats / sleeper?

New truck smell???

Swift is the great company. Bedrolls still rolled up in plastic, metal parts outside still have the protective white plastic on them, fuel tanks were still bone dry and the truck had 20 miles on it and yeah, gotta love that new truck smell, toxic or not!! lol

Jason, thanks. I dont know if mine is fully loaded but so far it seems pretty well equipped. I have a fridge, microwave slot w/holdown strap, inverter, radio, swivel TV mount, sleeper fan, bunk heater and the interior is really nice! Its probably not fully loaded but its really nice, I dont know what else could be put into it or where what options rank but I just love the truck and think it will make a nice comfy home.

Oddball question, so the inverter has two plug-ins on it and the rest of the truck has 12volt outlets everywhere else. So to run a 110 microwave, TV or other 110volt appliance I have to run extension cords to the appliance, anyone see any problems with this or is it just how its done? Should be fine with a good quality HD cord right? I have never used an inverter before, just want to be safe, not burn my truck down trying to heat a burrito up...lol

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

Went solo today, new Cascadia with collision avoidance system

Thanks all, so I have only driven it for two hours so far, to get "home". I did notice the Adaptive cruise control, I had it set at 65 and noticed I was slowing, I looked down and it was going 58. As RealDiehl stated it keeps its own following distance. As mentioned by G-Town, several hours today will be spent reading any and every manual or piece of paper that came with it. I dont want to be surprised like that again! G-Town, as I just got up and havent gone to the truck to get anything out of it yet, how do I prepare for that stuff in the rain and snow? Can I override the system in bad conditions? Seems like a computer doing a hard brake in bad wheather is potentially dangerous. Susan D. passing slower traffic was the very first time I noticed the adaptive cruise and I also didnt care for it. So with regard to all of the issues with the brakes being applied for cones, overpasses, cars in the other lanes etc. is there anything I can do to stop it from braking? Seems like its begging to get me hit in the rear when I didnt even apply the brakes! Again I will be reading the manual today to see if theres anything I can do but would be happy if you shared your knowledge/experience with this system. One more question, when I come up on another vehicle either a little close or close to pass them the instrument panel goes yellow with a too close warning. Is this something thats just for my benifit or is my company safety department going to be calling me if It does this too many times?

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

Went solo today, new Cascadia with collision avoidance system

Hello all, as of today I upgraded to rookie solo driver! Woot Woot!! So I tested out today and was given a 2019 Freightliner Cascadia which is just beautiful. Had 20 miles when I took it. I am taking the weekend off to set the truck up and read the manual to learn how everything operates then steady rolling monday!! Yay. Something I learned on my way home though that surprised the heck out of me...it has a front collision avoidance system on it. I was bobtailing down I-40 coming up on a slowing truck, was about to pass him when he suddenly moved left and there was a truck in front of him, I kid you not, doing 30 on the highway, just cruising for no apparent reason. No on/off ramps anywhere for several miles, nothing in front of him. I suspect he may have seen falling asleep and losing speed (maybe intoxicated)? I started to brake and the truck took over, like I said, surprised the heck out of me...almost scared me cause I didnt know it had that feature on it! The truck has a faster reaction time than I do! I just hope I dont get a message from safety for a braking incident after my first hour in the truck. I wouldnt have hit the truck on my own but WOW does the system work.

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

Got my CDL back!

Congrats!!! dancing-dog.gifdancing-dog.gifdancing-dog.gifdancing-dog.gif

People only write Congrats because they can't spell congratultashuns!!

Congrats!!

dancing-banana.gifdancing-dog.gifdancing.gif

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

I have my CDL permit. Does this give me a leg up at a company CDL school

Rainy, when I went to Springfield in Sept, Oct. 2018 We were told that Missouri DOT put a stop to that "temporary resident" loophole. They said there were a couple companies that would still do it but they weren't supposed to and would be stopped. Prime wasn't specifically mentioned. Not claiming to know the law in all states, just what I was told while in Missouri by C-1. We had a guy in class from Arkansas that brought his paper saying he passed the permit test but he forgot to get the actual permit. He asked about that and that was what he was told by the boss man there. He was sent home to Arkansas.

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

Living with dog in truck

Yeah I can lift her in and out, not a problem. I asked about the poop thing after almost stepping in a pile today at a rest stop in Arizona!! I figure it's like some people and washing their hands after using the bathroom, everyone says yes I wash my hands everytime but HONESTLY some won't if nobody's around.

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

DOT Vision Exemption

Is this like permanent partial blindness or just needing regular glasses like most people? Basically, will getting glasses correct the issue or is it a permanent thing?

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

I have my CDL permit. Does this give me a leg up at a company CDL school

Mike D. First is the little foam earplugs. During my first 50 hours before team driving...My mentor snores....LOUDLY!!!! They help with noise after that. As far as sleeping while moving, sleep on your back or stomach. I find on my side I kind of "roll around" with the bumps and such. I get less roll and more stability laying more flat. We can't expect the trainer not to use the radio if not for his liking it maybe for safetys sake to keep him from driving alone in silence and falling asleep. Don't drink much 3-5 hours before your SB time so you don't wake up having to pee as much. Hope something I wrote helps.

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

Living with dog in truck

Hi all, I have read some prior posts about dogs in trucks. I am thinking about bringing an 8 yr old Bassett hound with me a short while after my upgrade. I am possibly "coming into" ownership by a owner unable to care for her anymore. She's 42 pounds (a little chunky) and a good girl. I'm wondering about having the dog on the truck fulltime as I will be living on the truck fulltime. She's not high energy so a walk a couple times a week will suffice. So thoughts about 24 hour vets that a truck can get to? Water and food tips? How do you bathe them regularly? No APU available on the truck i will get so heating cooling issues other than idling? We would both be living in it so other than eating in a restaurant or shopping we would both be in truck together.

Also, I know what is PC and how you should answer but HONESTLY, how many with dogs in the truck actually pick up their dogs poopoo afterwards? Lol

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

I have my CDL permit. Does this give me a leg up at a company CDL school

If you are going to attend an out of state CDL school you have to have the permit, your permit has to be issued by your home state. As far as age and peeing, I would recommend while on the road with a trainer/mentor you drink less. Not to the point of dehydration but don't gulp down 8 gallons a day either. Most don't have a problem stopping for pee breaks but if you have to pee every 50 miles that could be an issue. When you are in the team driving portion of training the problem you are going to have is the truck is almost always moving. You will be driving 60-70 hours a week. You will need to be able to sleep enough to drive safely . You will be sleeping while moving, he is listening to the radio, slowing/stopping with traffic, rough bumpy bouncy roads fuel stops etc. and he is sleeping while you are driving. I am a light sleeper also and am having a hard time sleeping while moving but it's only for a short time then I get my own truck and I sleep when and how I want in a non-moving truck. Earplugs help while training. Other than some OTC sleepaids most are not allowed. If you can handle it for the training period, you are golden! Good luck!

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

Unsafe backing and Leaving truck and load at Terminal

This October I was at Swiift orientation and on day one the guy I roomed with in the hotel left. That evening he was again my roommate. He was upset. He was an experienced driver with like 8 years. He said they sent him home due to a situation very much similar to yours. On his DAC It showed an abandonment and he claims to have secured his truck/load even waiting for police and tow to show up. Swift wouldn't touch him. Trucking companies take that very seriously and dude was convinced his career was over, even tried to give me the Inverter he brought cause he said he wouldnt need it anymore. Once that's reported to DAC he said it's pretty much impossible to remove it.

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

Why do you want to become a truck driver???

Translation: Leave me the hell alone, and I'll do my damn job.

Funny Rainy, thats the ex-postal worker coming out in you!!!

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

Trucks with fridge

I bought the 1.7 cu foot refrigerator from Walmart and it has plenty of room for me.

Like the dorm style fridge as opposed to the cooler style? Strapped to the top bunk, are there no ventilation or heat build-up issues or condensation leaks from the compressor? I'm guessing you had to remove the top bunk mattress?

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

Trucks with fridge

If you have a large inverter installed thar is connected directly to the batteries, then the fridge will not turn off. Also, in my truck, the 12v outlets are always on, unless the main power switch is shut off. They stay on even when the ignition switch is off.

My truck will last 3-4 days with the fridge running and the main power switch off.

Thanks, thats perfect!! Supposed to be an 1800 watt inverter, I am assuming mine will be like yours. I wont get my truck for about a week and a half though, just trying to prepare and plan ahead. So say you were going to take a week off and not be near the truck is there like a kill switch to keep the batteries from draining?

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

Choosing a company based on your home location...

One last thing, is it still a good idea to move forward with getting my CDL Permit in California, prior to moving to Arizona? It will be good for 180-days and I can get a 180-day extension as well. Once we move to Arizona, I would be moving my license over anyway. Any idea if my CDL Permit transfers over to Arizona with my regular license? I know some companies prefer for trainees to have their CDL Permit before getting into their training program.

I wouldnt imagine there would be a problem with doing that. I got my permit in Arkansas, my training and took/passed my test to get my CDL in Missouri, my home terminal is in Tennessee and my companies home office is in Arizona. I believe you can renew it once for 180 days without having to retest but I would recommend calling your DMV because I believe you can only renew a CDL permit in the state it was issued in as CDL permits are not transferrable.