Comments By Michael B.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0420678001549976913-81694.jpg avatar
  • Michael B.
  • 9 months, 1 week ago
  • Comments:

Posted:  2 weeks ago

When is training considered "stale"?

There are a few companies that will take you on but yes, yours is considered stale. You fall into a hard category as your training is stale and your experience is not enough. Some of the "last chance" companies will still happily take you though. Western Express is another that comes to mind that will probably take you. Best of luck.

Posted:  2 weeks ago

VERY Choppy Job History.... Where should I apply?

Greg, the OTR stands for over the road which does not require 2 drivers unless you chose to team drive. As for 2 dudes in a box, during training it will be 2 dudes in a box for 7 days a week not 5 1/2 days a week for the duration of your training. Once your training is complete you upgrade to your own truck, just you in your own box. I chose to drive OTR solo for just that reason, I dont want to share my box. There are some companies that do team driving and some drivers like it because the money is apparantly pretty good but teaming is entirely your choice. As far as the job situation, I think you will be fine as long as you have no long gaps in employment.

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

Trapped!

Matthew, what you fail to realize however is that not all drivers are on the same schedule as you. Just because you are awake at 8pm others are sleeping then. Just like at 2am when you are sleeping others are getting ready to leave or just arriving. Personally I never blow the airborn in a lot unless an accident is about to happen. Just like those that crank their bass, someone is always asleep. Use stereo equipment, airhorns and Jake brakes out on the open road, not in the truckstop parking lots. Just common courtesy IMHO.

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

Airbags

Thanks, I do it all the time as well but just started thinking about it a few days ago for some reason.

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

Airbags

I dont have much knowledge on airbags other than they go up and go down so this is a question of ignorance. When I am stopped for a 10 or 34 with a load if the spot I parked is not level I will dump my airbags to help level my bed if I'm rolling forward. Is it damaging to dump them for extended times with a heavy load or is it ok? I'm not having any issues but nor do I want to start.

Posted:  2 weeks, 4 days ago

Low underpasses

Every single time! Dont get the really low ones often but yes, the 13' 7"ers are nerve wracking every time for me.

Posted:  3 weeks ago

Parking for vacation near Pigeon Forge Tennessee area

So next month I'm taking a week off to hang with 2 of my daughters and 2 of my grandkids in Pigeon Forge Tennessee. They have a dance competition there that my daughters dance studio is competing in. We will be doing Dollywood and the aquarium as well as a few other fun things. My question is do I park at the nearest large truck stop (pilot I believe) for 7 days or does anyone know of a better parking situation in the Sevierville, Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge area? Having never parked that long are there any issues I should be aware of parking at a Pilot truck stop for a week? I of course can't get the truck to the cabin rental and won't be going back to the truck at night.

Posted:  3 weeks, 3 days ago

You might be a trucker if......

If you can tell where another driver has been based on the number of and type of bugs stuck to the front of his truck at any given time of the year.

Posted:  3 weeks, 4 days ago

Eye Candy

This here's an unconventional "BIG RIG" I managed to snap a photo of at a Pilot in Ohio a couple days ago.

0514106001558754666.jpg

Posted:  3 weeks, 5 days ago

You might be a trucker if......

Your lifted personal 4x4 pickup that used to feel like you towered above everyone feels like someone lowered it while you were OTR.

Posted:  3 weeks, 6 days ago

Autonomous trucks on USPS test run

I'm in no way suprised to see the Postal Service being the testbed for this. They are looking for any way possible to eliminate human workers. They also tested using the Segways for letter carriers, that didnt go too well though. Although the claim that driverless trucks can detect and react to situations faster than humans may be true I believe the human can choose the RIGHT reaction to the situation detected better and more often than the computer system, especially if all of the auto braking and false obstacles detected by our current trucks are anything like what driverless use. I believe current driverless cars still have trouble detecting motorcycles, bicycles and pedestrians as well. Idk, seems like a long way off to me.

Posted:  3 weeks, 6 days ago

Smoking/vaping while traveling

If you are vaping THC while driving...well anytime actually, you have an issue that needs immediate correction. As for vaping regular vape oil there's no issue while driving but since they add nicotine and other chemicals it's not a bad idea to look into cessation tools as it's still not healthy.

Posted:  4 weeks ago

Foot cramps

I've read that many pro-athletes hydrate with plenty of water and drink dill pickle juice for the electrolytes. But I think the previous suggestions of magnesium supplements will also help as all three of the above have helped me.

And if your panty hose is too small, that can also contribute to foot and toe cramps.

Panty hose......hmmmmmm, a lot of truck drivers wear panty hose do they? Lol

Posted:  4 weeks ago

Falcon Transport

@Rick S. Those I have seen were not pulled by Falcon trucks so you are probably spot on. @Rob T., there is Falcon Transport which shut down and Falcon Transportation LLC which is still operating. They also have offered jobs to Falcon Transport drivers.

It's nice of the other companies to offer to fasttrack employment to those stranded but doesn't suck any less for them to be stranded. Pretty ****e thing to do to loyal employees! Hope they all collect from the lawsuits.

Posted:  4 weeks, 1 day ago

Foot cramps

Will definitely try the magnesium. Thanks

Posted:  4 weeks, 1 day ago

Falcon Transport

The last few days I have seen 5 or 6 Falcon trailers, have they had a change of heart about shutting the doors or have they sold off their trailers that quickly, anyone heard?

Posted:  4 weeks, 1 day ago

Foot cramps

Anyone suffer from foot cramps when you lay down to sleep? I have tried everything I can think of, supplements, potassium, bananas, stretching my legs and feet both while driving and after, walking, hydration and cursing. I really expected cursing to help but noooo. Seems like one to two nights/days a week I will get foot cramps when I lay down for sleep. I never get them till I lay down. I can get them to stop after 5 or 10 minutes by keeping my feet completely still in certain positions but if you know of something I haven't tried please...PLEASE share!!!!

Posted:  1 month ago

Schneider in HOV lane

So I watched a southbound Schneider truck getting pulled over on Virginia I-495 by Quantico area as he was driving in the center HOV lane. All I can think is he read the easypass only and not the no vehicles with more than 2 axles signs. Granted there was heavy traffic but always read the signs people. They teach you in CDL school to read every sign for a reason. Plus after he pays the ticket and explains to his employer why he was in the HOV lane he would have been much better off in the stop and go traffic!

Posted:  1 month ago

I really need advice about my future

When I back under a trailer the first thing I do when I connect is put it in drive and pull. Before I get out of the truck, before I raise the landing gear that way if it's not fully connected I will just drive out and nothing drops. Checking the kingpin connection should be part of the inspection you do on every trailer you connect to. You should also check that connection EVERY time you have left your truck and EVERY time before you take off after your 10s/34s to make sure no joker pulled your pin release. Write a checklist to read and follow if needed or so you dont forget or overlook any steps toward safe operation of your truck.

I mention the checklist simply because of the anxiety causing mistakes. The best way to control the anxiety mistakes is to get into a solid routine and I think a written list for every action can help by eliminating the ability to forget steps. Best of luck to you as you figure out what to do.

Posted:  1 month ago

What Are The Best Truck Stops, And Why?

Like grumpy old man, I like the kittery circle k in Maine and most toll plazas are nice but for the biggies I prefer in order, pilot, flying j, loves, ta, petro. Although I like ta for showers because they give 2 towels a hand towel and a washrag where most just give 1 towel and 1 rag (i know, what more do i need right? Lol) but will use anywhere I have shower credits that's on my route. For my 10s I will take any legal spot happily though or rest areas for more quiet. From time to time I have a few shippers that allow overnight on property that can save my hiney in areas without much parking or if I can't find any empty spots elsewhere. I have learned from a previous post of mine to try to stay away from the fuel island if at all possible at truck stops because of jake braking noise. I have never and will never nose into a spot. I think most that do have trouble with backing but get into more trouble when it comes time to back out but they hope the lot will be emptier when they leave. Oh and I wont park on an on/off ramp at all.