Profile For Michael B.

Michael B.'s Info

AR

Rookie Solo Driver

1 year ago

Michael B.'s Bio

My plans are to live out of the truck and take my home time when I hit a cool place to check out. Maybe some diving if I am near the ocean.

Posted:  1 day, 6 hours ago

Irritating weekend.

Well here it is almost 9 pm, 3 hours left on the 14 still sitting with no response. It's the weekend dispatchers as I never have any issues with my regular. This is one reason I usually just take a reset every weekend. I actually went to a truckstop when I posted this knowing I was done till the morning. I know weekend crew is a skeleton crew but gee wiz, dont tell me you are working on a new load then never respond. Sadly Brett, its international paper so it never crossed my mind they would be closed. Lesson learned. I was always under the impression calling customers was frowned upon although from now on I will probably start calling if it could benifit me. Fortunately my regular dispatcher will put me in for layover in the morning but it still wont cover what I would have made in miles. I would have liked to have a fresh clock though. (Any weekend dispatchers reading cover your eyes) This is why I dislike dealing with the weekend crew! At least I'm only 7 or so miles from the pick up location so it should be a quick loading early in the AM. Oh well, at least I dont have a truck payment. I'll still run 2500 or so miles this week so it's not that bad, I managed to watch several ball games too!

Posted:  1 day, 14 hours ago

Irritating weekend.

Hi all, just more of a venting here with people that will understand. Yesterday (Saturday) I drove 80 miles to pick up a load only to find bnb out it was picked up the night before. I'm assigned a new load and drive 100 miles but have a 12:00 appointment to load. I sit at a pilot 25 miles away for 19 hours and arrive 1 1/2 hours early only to find out it was the right company but the wrong address. Worse yet they dont load on the weekends as they are closed. My dispatcher asks me "are you sure, have you called them I show they are 24/7." I said I'm on their lot and gave them the # to the lot that ships. My clock was started when i drove there so it messed up a 34, i dont gain hours for 2 days and I've now been waiting 3 hours for the load they are supposed to be working on. Argggghhhhhhh. Thanks, just had to vent.

Posted:  3 days, 14 hours ago

New state!

Sturbridge.....yes a zoo is a great description. However parking up the hill is fine once you pass all the paid spots. Although all the creative parkers around the fuel pump corner and all the way to the street sometimes make leaving hard. Last time I was there I was at the second pump from the store, they guy in the first pump locked his keys in his truck. That caused quite an issue but yes I felt bad for the guy. I cannot lock mine in as I have a spare in my wallet and one zip tied to the frame.

Posted:  4 days, 9 hours ago

New state!

Wow, lots off negativity over the northeast!!! I dont mind it at all, well, as long as I can avoid I-95 anywhere from just before Quantico through Maine...lol. like others say, plan to park by 4-6pm at the latest if at all possible. Most northeast driving is alright though and yes the drivers are a little more impatient so sometimes you have to make lane changes happen (as safely as you can) or miss an exit etc. cause they dont like trucks in front of them and often keep coming by regardless of your turn signal being on.

Posted:  6 days, 8 hours ago

Staying out with Western express

Yes they will. Just like with home time just request it there and make sure you have a truckstop nearby or someplace to park the truck.

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

Weirdest thing happened (truck bucking)

I had an incident once where I hooked up to my load out in the shippers yard on fairly smooth, level gravel (paper rolls) and when I started to drive straight with it the truck bucked hard enough to trigger an event recording on my Qualcomm. Still dont know what caused it. Just a single giant buck. Strangeness.

We’re your tandems locked? That will scare the crap out of you. Don’t ask how I know.

I'm not really sure, but I think they were locked, it happened back in December. Though when i was with trainer i was coming to a stop at a red light and heard and felt a loud crashing. I thought i was rear-ended. He sat there for a minute and started laughing, I pulled over after I got through the intersection. Sure enough he forgot to lock the tandems when he hooked up to the trailer which is why it was funny to him, scared the poo out of me though.

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

Weirdest thing happened (truck bucking)

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

Length

I was shocked a little while back in Indiana I saw a tractor hauling triple 53 footers. Didnt even think that was legal. I sure wouldn't want to do it, even two 53 footers would be too much for my taste.

Posted:  2 weeks ago

Beach recommendation near Suffolf Va?

Sadly I never made it. I guess all the uber drivers were enjoying the weekend. It was about 2pm before they showed an available car which would put me getting there about 3pm. Enterprise was closed. I figured if I got there and couldn't get an uber back I would be stuck so I just chilled at the pilot. :-(

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

Beach recommendation near Suffolf Va?

Thanks for the suggestions, I checked uber rates and it's only about $35 difference from here or from a parking place like Kroger. If I can catch an uber or Lyft its probably easier than taking the truck on PC. I just talked to a local here in Suffolk and she gave me some good tips about where to go on the beach. Checking last night and so far this morning uber hasn't had an available driver though. Hmmmm. PackRat, it's the thought that counts and I appreciate it. Hopefully I'll find my ride and be awash in beautiful women in little bikinis in no time.

good-luck-2.gifdancing-banana.gif

Posted:  2 weeks, 2 days ago

Beach recommendation near Suffolf Va?

Hey all, I'm bobtail in Suffolf Va for a 34. Thinking about hitting a beach tomorrow (sunday) anyone know of a good close beach or just hit Virginia Beach? VB is a 45-70 buck uber ride. I looked today but they had no cars available. You think I could drive bobtail to a beach? (I know, funny right) any and all suggestions welcome.

Posted:  2 weeks, 3 days ago

Western Express Contract

Sorry I’ve been angry lately. Came here for orientation and realized I’ve been lied to about almost everything. I’ve been stuck in a hotel in a horrible part of Nashville for 2 weeks. I was told I would have weekly home time now it’s every 10-14 days for 2 days. I was also persuaded into signing a one year agreement for “extended training”, even though I haven’t had any extended training. Literally everyone in my orientation class has gone through the same training and people who have to go out with a trainer for the same amount as me didn’t have to sign an agreement. I feel like I’ve been bamboozled and I want out.

Please explain your comments to us in detail

Well after all of this,, other than a bad hotel that you are in for free is the hometime thing the only complaint? Still dont know what all you have issue with. Being "lied to" could be anything up to and including you not remembering something they said. What is extended training? Was it a contract to cover cdl school or a bonus for signing? No trucking company trains you for a year. Clarity please.

Posted:  2 weeks, 4 days ago

Postcards from the Road! (Post Yours Please!)

0581237001567113789.jpg

Beautiful shot of Mt. Shasta.

Posted:  2 weeks, 5 days ago

Qualcomm hack?

Yeah kinda surprised me as well. I've never seen anything like it. Had trucker path open on my phone and nothing happened on it. Dont really know why someone would try to pair up with a qualcomm anyways. All I can think is someone trying to pair up to passerbys phones for nefarious purposes.

wtf.gif

Posted:  2 weeks, 6 days ago

Qualcomm hack?

Today I was traveling east on the 30 in Illinois west of the I-65 in Indiana. I got a pop-up message on the navigation screen on my Qualcomm letting me know someone was trying to pair up with it and asking if I wished to allow the pairing. I hit no. Have you ever had this happen and what purpose would it serve for someone to link to it, think I was being hacked?

Posted:  2 weeks, 6 days ago

Tractors, Class 7 and 8, never seen (or hardly ever seen) in America anymore by me.

As a company driver my pride is in my bank account size. I also like to see the old trucks still rolling though I wouldnt want to be rolling in one. Like Turtle said, functionality trumps form. Since I live in my truck comfort means more than "cool" to me and as mentioned, cool to me is comfort and a big bank account.

Posted:  3 weeks ago

Hard Brake!

Man I would hate to come across that at night on a motorcycle!!!

Posted:  3 weeks, 2 days ago

Postcards from the Road! (Post Yours Please!)

0635014001566665217.jpg

To the hitchhiker, sure, I can give you a lift.

Posted:  3 weeks, 2 days ago

Postcards from the Road! (Post Yours Please!)

Not exactly pleasant but a funny "postcard" theme only an independent could get away with. I-81 sb virginia.

0973593001566584087.jpg

Not to be a stick-in-the-mud, but this isn't funny to me one bit.

It advertises intent and to that extent, what a complete a**hole the driver is. Imagine if you will if by accident he did run a minivan into the weeds...what exactly do you think a lawyer would do with this?

We promote safety and professionalism on this forum. This photo is neither of those things. I've requested that Brett remove it.

I am sorry that you are offended by this but in all fairness this site promotes the TRUCKINGTRUTH. The Truth in Trucking is that this and these things and these people exist in our industry, like it or not. This is of course Brett's site and he can remove this if he wants but since it does represent the TRUTH of our industry which is not always rainbows and unicorns I would be personally disappointed. I may be the only one who finds a degree of dark humor in this or I may just be an a-hole but the fact is it exists just like the large sticker I saw on one truck which read, If you dont like truckers dont buy s**t. Again, possibly offensive but it exists.

I believe you are right, if he had an actual accident I can imagine the field day the other guys attorney would have with this and he would deserve it. It's like advertising a payout.

Posted:  3 weeks, 3 days ago

What Would You Do In This Situation?

I would have gotten the flatbedders address so I would know where to send his Darwin award. (Too mean?)