Profile For Mikey B.

Mikey B.'s Info

AR

Experienced Driver

3 years, 11 months ago

Mikey B.'s Bio

Living the dream. Living in the truck, company driver, no bills.

fazhamikey@yahoo.com

Mikey B.'s Photo Gallery Group 1 of 13

How to handle discrepancy with pay from employer

I may be wrong, maybe I was letting frustration with another poster get in the way.

If I am wrong then prove me to be wrong by overcoming the adversity with your current employer by sticking with them and succeeding. Become a top tier driver.

Your training from them may not be the best but between what you have gotten and all of the tools and people at your disposal you have everything needed to succeed. Id love nothing more than for you to prove me wrong. Do that and ill admit I was wrong about you...and apologize to you.

Thats the best I can do.

Good bye Western Express, Hello Randys Contracting and Melton Truck Lines

No Victor, I stated the truth of your situation.

Good bye Western Express, Hello Randys Contracting and Melton Truck Lines

Let’s give this a rest.

If Victor hasn’t gotten the message by now... any further attempts to rebuke him is futile.

It’s up to him now.

I agree 100%, I'm done replying to him. Don't feed the trolls.

Posted:  7 months, 1 week ago

Sleeper Berth...on a customer site?

Lots of good information in this thread, thanks! New issue...I have a driver noting Loading time under PC...this is clearly a violation but I can't get through to him. Ugh, the nice approach isn't working but I know no other way now than to be rude about it...

Has he run out of time on his 14 hour clock when he does this? He may be trying to finish the load without getting a 14 hr violation recorded. If so explain to him he can use any unused on duty time for the day without violating.

How to handle discrepancy with pay from employer

That decision is completely yours. My knowledge of trucking tells me that you will be disappointed with your training wherever you go. There is no way to cover every single kind of flatbed load during a week's worth of training. I don't know of any companies who spend more than four or five days on securement training

I was mistaken, I thought a company like Maverick or P&S would spend quality time teaching load securement. That is the reason I'm thinking about going to another company. TMC did 2 weeks classroom/pad and 4-6 weeks OTR with an actual flatbed driver, but you know that...I know their drivers are very prepared for different situations.

I have no problem learning on my own but with this it seems dangerous to do so. IMO, Learning how to back a spread axle trailer on my own is completely different than learning load securement on my own. But I will continue to do research every night and study the ins and outs of flatbed driving.

Thank you for your thoughts on the per diem. That was exactly what I was thinking when I read into it. For me, I just don't see the benefit of it....

Not to discourage you but why don't you quit trucking and get a job where they tell you everything to do with a boss standing over you? I honest think that's what kind if job you are meant for.

Bucket List

I have always wanted to be a truck driver but instead I became an engineer for 40 plus years. Now I am retired (63) and to old to start a new career. I have a couple of items left on my bucket list to do. One of them is to do a long haul with an experienced truck driver. I live in the Portland Maine and if you do not mind having me tag along with you for a few days/ week please let me know.

Thanks and thanks for helping me with my bucket list

David

Let me say to you, you are NOT too old to DRIVE a truck on your own!! If you really want to experience it, get a cdl and hire on to a company. You can go from studying for the permit test to driving solo in a couple months and very little expense. Nobody says you have to drive till you kick that bucket. You just might like it and have a new career or drive a few months and re-retire. Either way you could scratch that off the list only upgraded as the actual driver!!

Good bye Western Express, Hello Randys Contracting and Melton Truck Lines

I fail to see how you can COMPLETELY exonerate a TRAINER from any responsibility or the companies lack of communication back and forth as my responsibility to go wip them into shape. Geepers. wtf-2.gif

I would probably have stayed at Swift for 2 years if it was not for the incidents that resulted from a lack of communication from the driver development personal when I called. I also did attempt to get extra training but never recieved it.

Wow. Good to see you STILL find someone else at fault for your mistakes. Good luck with the fighter pilot dream.

Victor, I went back and read some of your years old posts. You claim a slim 201 hours wasn't enough and laid blame on your trainer.

0486571001641824484.jpg

You claim to take full responsibility then blame him in the same sentence. You say he was a good mentor except backing then blame him for your accidents.

You need to grow TF up. You act like a bratty child that always got a participation trophy whose parents praised him for last place. Just stop already.

We all know you aren't going to school and aren't going to be a fighter pilot. After all, it takes YEARS to train for that and you'd just crash 4 or 5 jets then blame the crappy Air Force, lack of training, your trainers, then get on a pilots website running them down, recommending other prospective pilots avoid the Air Force like the plague.

You have a habit of claiming to accept responsibility then blaming someone else for your failures all in the same breath. Its a deep seated personality flaw within you. You will probably never get over it and it will ALWAYS keep you down.

I wish you good luck in whatever you do...you'll need it, but stop BSing yourself because we don't believe literally anything you say (at least I don't) about anything. Stop running down perfectly good companies because YOU can't hack it.

There are no participation trophies in trucking, we will not praise you for last place. We will call you out on your BS, don't like it? Then change your ways starting with an apology for wasting our time.

Good bye Western Express, Hello Randys Contracting and Melton Truck Lines

And I wanted to be an astronaut... :-)

What you know about rolling down in the deep?

Good bye Western Express, Hello Randys Contracting and Melton Truck Lines

Clarify for me, what exactly were the five incidents that got you canned?

Good bye Western Express, Hello Randys Contracting and Melton Truck Lines

Posted:  7 months, 1 week ago

Western Express as a company?

Victor, you said to me about WE:  "Sorry not sorry, they are terrible. Some companies deserve their reputation full stop."

In fact, that statement goes both ways, some drivers are terrible and deserve their reputation full stop as well. Are you one of them? I don't know but the way you run down literally the ONLY company that would help you out leaves the question open for interpretation doesn't it? I have hope that you indeed are better than that like G-Town says but surely you understand how it looks to the rest of the people here when you do that.

When Banks brings up truth like this you should consider NOT bad mouthing them and perhaps working on improving your attitude, especially toward, again, THE ONLY COMPANY THAT WOULD HIRE YOU. An attitude like that will only bring you down in life where a good attitude can lift you up.

It's amazing to me that you continue to bash Western Express. I think you're forgetting your history.. Swift fired you after you had 5 incidents in 5 months and blamed your trainer for it. Pam f decided not to move forward with you during training and you took some time off and then Western Express gave you a shot. What do they get for it? Constantly bad mouthed for who knows what reason.

I can't wait till next year when you come back and tell us why Melton is so horrible. Hopefully, you won't have to consider quitting again because a glad hand is facing the wrong direction and a trailer is in the mud. Then there's the time you wanted to quit because your trainer wasn't nice to you.

As much advice as you've gotten Victor, you continue to play victim like you have it that bad. Truth is, you don't. You just like to cry woe is me and look for sympathy.

Bucket List

Welcome to the Trucking Truth site David.

Bucket List items are great, but how do we know you're not an active serial killer?

Good question. I do know that I am not and I am taking the same chance. I do know that there are a lot of good God believing, honest hard working people out there and I consider myself one of them. I have worked my whole life while saving for my retirement. I have been married to the same woman for 33 blissful years. I have just a few more items left on my bucket list to do and one is to go across country in an 18 wheeler. Thanks David

Besides, what are the odds of two of us being on the same site/post at the same time?

Posted:  7 months, 1 week ago

Western Express as a company?

Well you definitely do not know what your talking about when it comes to me, so dont act like you know me or what i am saying, thank you. On top of that, when I worked for Western Express Inc., they treated drivers like animals and that came from current and former employees so, and on top of that, many western expressers came to Melton because of their own experience with that company. Sorry not sorry, they are terrible. Some companies deserve their reputation full stop. Now Swift, I will say is fantastic when it comes to treatment of drivers and the only thing they need to work on is training qaulity. Thats it. Would be nice if they pushed the speed up to 68 but thats from a traffic perspective.

Personally I would steer clear of Western Express from my and others experience they treat their drivers pretty poorly and they also do not train the best as far as flat bed goes. I have spoken with at least 5 others who had that same experience.

Personally from my view and what I have seen so far, I would go for Maverick and Melton and Prime, they treat their drivers well and Melton like gold😊😊. Have a grand day and adventure!

Hey everybody,

So I'm an in experienced CDL-A holder. I've decided I'd like to do regional flatbed. I want to be home every weekend and I like the idea of flatbed being more "physical", so I can move the body more. That being said, I'm looking at Western Express because they offer regional. Melton seemed way more professional to me, but they ONLY OFFER OTR. Anyway, just wanted to pick all of your brains about Western Express. I don't know if I'll be there the next 30 years, but I'm a firm believer in "its what you make of it", so I think its a decent starting point. I just don't know what to believe with everything you read online and the you tube reviews and such. I've seen some unhappy people and some happy people! Anyway, any advice, tips, or feedback would be much appreciated!

Funny how so many of you are suddenly experts on which successful companies are horrible at training and treatment of employees after talking to a few terminal rats and losers.

To this i reply,

OH. BOO. HOO.

I stand by my statement.

Posted:  7 months, 1 week ago

Western Express as a company?

Hey everybody,

How to handle discrepancy with pay from employer

Actually, no because we have seen it far too many times where beginners get frustrated and they come here but don't think to go to their office to ask questions there. Don't know why it is, but it is that way a lot.

Laura

I understand that. But please try not to put me into the same group as others. Is that not the same as ppl saying all truckers are a certain way because of the few that give trucking a bad name? I mean no disrespect towards you Laura. Thank you for your reply

To be perfectly frank, you put yourself into the same group as others so don't make like Laura or anyone else has done that. Nobody means any disrespect to you either but you in fact did exactly what she said. You came on here talking about quitting and going elsewhere over a single check that you don't understand and your feeling that you need more training, all without having discussed it with the appropriate departments. You are defeated and discouraged after a mere 2 weeks and think you know better then your successful employer to the point of suggesting no other new drivers go there because they don't know what they're doing and won't train them properly. Or am I missing something here?

Posted:  7 months, 1 week ago

No driver's license during driver shortage = workable?

Nicholas,

Not that it's any of my business, but I'm curious. Why would you go through graduate school, and then decide to be a truck driver?

Probably because he realized truck driving ROCKS!!!!

Posted:  7 months, 1 week ago

No driver's license during driver shortage = workable?

Please don't take offense, y'all vets and mods; I can actually 'see' the O/P's viewpoint here!

Don't worry about it Anne, I knew I'd get razzed on coming in here asking those kinds of questions, I just needed to make sure since the lady who gave me that incorrect info was really adamant that she was right and who better to ask than the horse's a- I mean, mouth? Heh heh heh..

Anyway, you crazy kids get back to yer truckin' and don't blow a tire on our crumbing infrastructure now, y'hear? Mayhap I'll be seein' ya in a year or so.

Please don't misunderstand my question. I was not trying to razz you or give you a hard time. I don't know anyone that has never driven a car nor held a license, it was an honest question. Most everyone I know had their license at 16 or 17 and owned a car. I've always had at least 1 car since I was 16. I guess in the big cities their isn't as much need for a car.

If I'm not mistaken each states CDL licensing is done through their State Police/DMV or equivalent, I'd recommend calling them and ask the same question.

Posted:  7 months, 1 week ago

No driver's license during driver shortage = workable?

I'm going to ask the obvious everyone else is also thinking.....how do you make it to 31 years old having never had a license or driven a car?

How to handle discrepancy with pay from employer

Did it not occur to you that a simple call to payroll could clear things up? Seems the lack of communication goes both ways.

I did call payroll but it was midnight, noone was in the office. I am always in someone's ear at that place, I get vague answers. Lack of communication is definitely on their end, not mine.

Of course I will talk to them first about my pay but I would like to hear any suggestions on how to handle this before I do something unnecessary

Just in case you didn't see this in the post....

No, actually I wonder why you'd expect to contact payroll at midnight. Why you are contemplating quitting over what is very likely a simple payroll error before even talking to payroll. Why you are frustrated over lack of communication and lack of training after a mere 2 weeks. Is this your first ever job? You've never had an issue with payroll or any other department of your previous employer? Yes, it is common for stuff to happen, you call the appropriate department during business hours and get clarification, thats how it has always worked in the real world. If you are expecting to have multiple daily conversations with the office personnel, never have any payroll issues, have someone show you how to strap and tarp every different kind of freight you pickup you will continue to be severely disappointed. Truck driving is very much a solo job, you are shown the basics and expected to be able to figure the rest out as you go. If you can't do that, you will not make it in this industry. Hell, thats why most of us love this job, the independent nature of not having to deal with a boss.

Re-read Laura's second comment above.

Also Mikey B, I'm on this site asking questions and trying to get advice as much as possible. Don't you think I would be doing the same at Knight??

Laura

No, I did not think you would do the same at Knight or you wouldn't have even posted this until after you had called payroll (during office hours when they are there) and then only if it wasn't settled to your satisfaction.

Posted:  7 months, 1 week ago

Western Express as a company?

Yeah, ok. TwoSides to every story. You said it yourself,

You probably see a problem with my statement because I'm a stupid rookie driver. That I must not know what I'm talking about. I have no shame in saying that I know nothing about the trucking business

No, I don't think you're a stupid rookie, just an inexperienced rookie that, as you yourself said, KNOWS NOTHING ABOUT THE TRUCKING BUSINESS. You are in absolutely no position to say who should or should not go to any company. You self admittedly KNOW NOTHING yet you think your 2 weeks solo driving makes you an expert on company quality. You are just taking a cheap shot at a very successful company because you can't hack it or haven't learned enough to get by. Stop trusting your brain and your own two eyes, they are all letting you down. You're forgetting we all have a brain, two eyes, can read and have experience, therefore I will chose to believe Knights side of the story, I'm sure their explanation will be entirely different than yours.