Profile For Daniel (Turtle)

Daniel (Turtle)'s Info

Daniel (Turtle)'s Bio

Started Driving in 1996. Driven 48 states, most all of Canada, and even some parts of Mexico back when could cross easier. Single father with custody of son made this career tough and came off the road for a few years. Went back at it and now 4 years at Dynamic Transit. Just became a Driver Recruiter this week with Dynamic Transit. (9/19/18)

Changing to local driving 11/05/2018 with a new company..

Daniel (Turtle)'s Photo Gallery

Posted:  2 weeks, 4 days ago

Weird Work Assignment

I once picked up a load of Campbell soup in Cincinnati OH, took it to Miami FL.. Waited there for them to swap the plastic brown trays to ones without the logos on them.. They then put back on truck and sent me back to exact same place in Cincinnati OH.. There they swapped the brown trays back to ones with Campbell soup logo on them, and back to Miami FL I went.. From there they got put on a ship..

I was later told that the company did this to show a mistake was made and a loss was made and was used to be a write off for taxes.. lol

Posted:  2 weeks, 4 days ago

Happy Halloween and a trivia question.

G-Town I think we've got all the Sams and old Wal-Mart trailers at the Loveland DC... they're everywhere. XD

LOL.. I think they send all trailers to Loveland to die it seems.. That open lot so full of old ones.. Hermiston OR is another place full of them..

Posted:  2 weeks, 4 days ago

Be warned about Automatic/Manual CDL

Eventually “what”, is going to happen? The inverse of your concern; companies will need to purchase auto-shift trucks in order to find any qualified drivers. Maybe not before I retire, but l’ll bet during your career this will occur.

I disagree with that notion as for the current company I work for do not hire student.. And now will not hire those with this restriction on the license.. Smaller companies that are under 500 trucks Are not going to Auto shifts.. And you are missing the point of why I brought this up.. I have had potential drivers who are calling me and saying "I got screwed by being force to test in an Auto, the only ones that will hire me are the big companies that I do not want to go to.." The point is that taking a test in an auto is Limiting drivers to where they can go.. Sure Auto is good for those with certain disabilities and such.. I would never knock someone who needs or want one.. The issue is I am finding several companies that are sending new students through and forcing them to do Auto shifts when taking the test.. Making them get the restriction. And NEW DRIVERS need to know that they are being limited as to what companies will hire them in Future..

Cost wise for a smaller company is repair.. Less goes wrong with a manual shift.. Sure you replace clutch and adjusts and such with Manual like 10 speeds.. But the over all cost of an auto shift and weight is why many smaller companies are turning away from them.. As far weight, our 2014-16 Pete 386 fleet is what we have a few Auto shifts.. They each weigh right at 300lbs more then the 8 speeds of same make and model.. Stat on the auto transmission that we have is 969 lbs.. The Manuals are 656lbs..

G-Town, I know you work for a big company and you been years on the same route running dedicated.. But the industry is much bigger then what works for your situation and life style..

Posted:  2 weeks, 5 days ago

Be warned about Automatic/Manual CDL

I am replying to this feed only in the hopes to see it back near top of Discussion... And wanted to add my 2 cents worth now that I have been doing some recruiting on side for my current company..

I really wish and hope that new drivers make sure they test out in a manual transmission.. I personally have worked on about 10 applications that was great applications driving for a few years, nothing on record, decent PSP etc etc.. And I could not hire a single one, cause the company I work for only have 8 and 10 speed trucks for most part.. The Company bought about 5 Automatic few years ago, to see how they do.. Fuel, was not bad, but the extra weight hurt us.. The Boss decided he would not buy more, and only hire employee's that did not have the Automatic Restrictions on your license. So I have told 10 really decent truckers, over the past month "Sorry I can not hire you".. Not cause of anything they have done but cause of restrictions..

Drivers who are going through schools and testing in these are really limiting themselves to who can hire them in the future.. And I think they need to be aware of this.. Sure you can go to many big companies that have them.. But later in life, if you are looking for that smaller company you are limited..

So glad this is my last week in office doing recruiting, and being back to driving next week..

Posted:  2 weeks, 5 days ago

Job Advice While Maintaining Primary Custody

PJ is very correct in many of the things he stated.. I would like to share my story in the hopes that it will help you.. will try to keep it short..

My now ex wife and I split up after 2 years of Marriage.. She was pregnant at the time with my son.. She left and moved to her family in Ohio and I lived in Kentucky at the time.. In Ohio you can not file for Divorce while pregnant so she waited till after my son was born.. We went to court a month or so after he was born.. I went to court at my date and had all the stories of the things she did.. Her lack of work, education, etc etc.. I did not have a Lawyer.. (No Lawyer).. I gained Custody of my Son at 3 month old.. Again, with no lawyer.. The Judge found that I could provide better financially, and educationally then she could.. I was in the best interest of my child.. At the time I was an OTR.. But I knew an infant would not be good on road and I came off to be local.. (it was the one thing the judge asked me to do even tho I had a good family support system).. In 2002 was still kinda new for a man to get custody, much less to send infant across state line to another state..

I did come off the road, and did some crap jobs and such to be home daily till he was 8.. I do not know your situation, or your kids age.. But these things along with reason why you got your kid does come into play.. Jobs, and family network are also important.. Open road is not a place for a kid.. Sure its ok for summer break and such but they miss out on so much like school, friends, etc etc.. And I would suggest you look for a company that have both OTR and Local.. Drive Local during the school year, and take out on road during the summer.. Gives you stability, and more important your kid..

Tucking and family is always a hard life for the family.. You did not get custody of your kid for your parents to raise and for you to watch grow up in pictures.. And as a fellow single father, I know what challenges you have in front of you..

As a new driver my advice is if she takes you to court.. Remind them why you was giving custody.. explain your situation that you need to gain 12 months OTR to be able to go to a better local employment in this industry, and that is why your kid is with your parents.. Then if judge does not like the 12 months then make sure he knows that you are willing to come off road to do what is necessary.. The judge may be just looking for that little extra from ya to give you the 12 months to do so..

I wish you the best man..

Posted:  2 weeks, 5 days ago

Happy Halloween and a trivia question.

0074002001541095498.jpg

I messed up.. This picture was suppose to be on my previous post.. lol

Posted:  2 weeks, 5 days ago

Happy Halloween and a trivia question.

Must say interesting post.. The majority of companies do not have matching trucks and trailers.. But there are a few that do.. Race car drivers, certain small reefer companies, and some car haulers... Its one thing to take pride in your ride.. But if your with any type of big company you will go get 100s of trailers of different labels.. Comes with the territory..

Posted:  2 weeks, 6 days ago

Approaching 2 yrs...Looking for local work.

Check with DB Schenker they are a global company and I know they have at least 2 places in Florida.. They do yard spotting and localized trucking for Factory to warehousing..

Posted:  2 weeks, 6 days ago

Is it Fair/legal to conduct Hair follicle test?

Had not read yet on the Insulin part.. That's great to know.. I had an Uncle long ago that had to come off road cause he became type 1.. Glad to know this law has changed..

Posted:  2 weeks, 6 days ago

Is it Fair/legal to conduct Hair follicle test?

State law can not supersede federal law, so yes it is still illegal on the federal level they are legally allowed to test as they are.

Much of this exchange borders on absurd. Many of you seem to be missing the most important aspect of this discussion.

Alcohol is legal to consume in all of the lower 48 and federally. Right? It’s perfectly legal to test for blood alcohol as a condition of hire to drive a CMV and randomly to maintain viable employment. Every company I know of has a zero tolerance for even trace amounts. There is a direct correlation with drug testing. Anything that impairs judgement, cognitive skills and motor skills has no place in this business.

We all get tested and must agree to it before employment occurs. If you don’t authorize it, or refuse, no job.

Agreed.. And can even go further with this.. Most companies will not hire if ever had a DWI/DUI in past 5 years..

Even though Alcohol is legal, its the notion that you misbehaved behind the wheel of a vehicle in the past, and could be a risk to do it again..

Could even take it another way.. Diabetics who takes Shots of insulin still are prohibited to drive a CMV.. Anything that can impair you..

Posted:  3 weeks ago

Is it Fair/legal to conduct Hair follicle test?

Unless I'm mistaken, marijuana can be legalized at the state level, but it's not legal at the federal level. So Companies can still decide their own policy on the matter.

you are correct sir.. That is my understanding also..

Posted:  3 weeks ago

Prime Inc. Solo Company Driver Pay 2018/w Checkstubs

The one thing that has always bothered me is how many of these companies do Per Diem.. This is good example.. It is stated up above that per diem is .08 cpm.. The national per diem allowed is $63 per day non taxed.. So some basic math here..

lets say you run an average of 600 miles a day for 5 days at .45 cpm.. 600x5=3000x.45=$1350 .08x3000=$240 of that is non taxable.. But same millage and days if used $63x5=$315 non taxable.. So basically the companies that offer the cpm for per diem is screwing the drivers by not giving them full $63.. And if you look at the bigger picture and say you run 50 weeks out of the year with same average, then your loosing $3,750 that should have not have ever been taxed.. Those of you who make per diem with cpm I invite you to look at your check.. Check what you made for each paid day out.. Then put against the $63 per day and see which one averages out more.. And see if your company matches up to it..

Posted:  3 weeks ago

Driver Resource Center

Democratic Republic of the Congo???? lol.. joking....

I am assuming you mean the Data Recognition Corp or the DRC portal.. I have personally never used it.. And do not know if its use in this industry at all.. Do they use it now in some classes? Or is DRC something totally different that I am not thinking about?

Posted:  3 weeks ago

What did you do before becoming a truck driver?

Grew up on a farm.. Milked, grew tobacco.. Worked for Hitachi automotive factory as a QA leader for few years.. Started driving at 21.. Came off road to take care of infant son for few years.. Worked as Prison guard, years waiting tables for applebees, Also Home Depot running a forklift.. Back on road.. God I feel old.. lol

Posted:  3 weeks ago

To Do It Or Not To Do It?

I am a different type of trucker..

I think it all depends on how you view your job and what is important to you.. I personally fell in love with trucks as a small boy.. We traveled and as I sat in the back seat with my brothers I would count trucks going down the highway.. I romanticized about traveling cross country, seeing the sites, and meeting interesting people.. I knew this was what I wanted to do.. I knew this would make me happy.. After Highschool I worked in a factory, as a QA leader and walked the floor telling people what to do.. I had great benefits, good pay, and the job was not hard.. But I still would go into the shipping and receiving area and Romanticize about where that driver was from and what he might have seen..

At 21 I went straight to a school, learned to drive.. Met my ex-wife on the road.. Had a kid.. And have seen and drove everywhere I can think of.. I now spend a few days in the office as a recruiter, and I still drive truck locally and regional.. And only cause of my teen son that I have custody of.. I am not enjoying office, and will be going fully back to driving locally, and regionally.. I miss OTR.. But in my 20+ years of being in this industry I have personally loved every bit of it.. HOWEVER>>

90% of all trucking companies I have worked for have not had decent Health, Dental, Vision, or 401k/retirements plans.. They cost the driver out the nose for them.. Main reason is the industry has the mentality that drivers are a dime a dozen and has a high turnover rate of employment.. Drivers come and go.. This is starting to change some, but it is still really bad.. Not many companies have drivers retire from there company of 20+ years of driving.. This is why companies like Factories and Rail, have really, really good Benefits..

I was the first in my family to become a trucker.. My Older Brother who went to College and got a degree, saw the money I was making, and he became a trucker.. His son become a trucker.. My sister married a trucker.. We have become a trucker family, and we all work for different companies and such.. Pay has been going up, cause rates are going up.. The industry is growing and there is a huge shortage of good drivers.. Is trucking all unicorns and rainbows? Absolutely not.. I have just as many horror stories as I do funny good ones.. The Good and the bad times.. And I tell people all the time you have to take the good with the bad in every job.. I would assume that would be the same in your Rail job.. I suggest you take what you know or think you know about Trucking and write down pro vs cons.. And do the same with your current rail job.. Then see which one looks better on paper.. This career is not for everyone.. And I say that to not turn you away.. But I would not suggest anyone leaving a good career path they are currently in to become a truck driver.. Taking care of yourself and your family is the main reason everyone works.. I do not know you, but if you have wife and kids, remember that your decisions effect them also..

Posted:  3 weeks ago

My first accident.

Anyways got it all sorted out and took the proper steps. I know i wont get license points but how long do accidents stay on your record? How many csa points do you get? How do you obtain your DAC?

Most companies will look at accidents on a MVR and PSP.. When They run the reports they are normally on a 7 year report.. However.. Most companies will and can hire as long as no more then one or 2 on a MVR or PSP in past 3 years.. It also depends on the seriousness of it.. Something like this will normally not be on a PSP.. But possibly reported to the MVR by the company or an officer if a report was made.. Many companies will document something like this as is a written warning to you, but never file it. They will pay for damages (possibly charge you for that) and not report to insurance to keep insurance down, or possibly they are self insured.. Things like this will not hurt you to bad on Record unless there are several in a year or so span..

They suck, they make ya feel bad or stupid when they happen, but they happen.. Don't loose a lot of sleep over it, and remember to GOAL..

Posted:  3 weeks, 5 days ago

V&S Midwest Carriers info anyone?

Posted:  3 weeks, 5 days ago

V&S Midwest Carriers info anyone?

0189935001540504032.jpg

There are worse places then East coast in the Midwest.. Just saying..

Posted:  3 weeks, 5 days ago

Best spot to mount your GPS?

0414581001540503896.jpg

Posted:  3 weeks, 5 days ago

Am I ever gonna getthis backing?

The weird part is I’ve never had a problem with straight line. I watched a video before I ever started on the pad always no problems. No problems with parallel nailed them everytime. Off sets kicked my butt, and I’m starting understand why—I didn’t understand how to follow my trailer. I wanted to put the trailer in the hole but not the truck so I get all twisted up. I’m working on it!!!

I have always thought that a proper set up is the most important thing.. Especially when trying to hit a spot, or door.. I always look at my area and try to approach it from the Driver side.. Something I do not think they teach anymore, is the 1 to 4 sweep maneuver... (it maybe have another term now).. Basically you 1, approach and place your driver door center of the space or Dock.. 2. make a hard right with steering till your trailer tandems are near the middle of the spot or door.. 3. make a hard left again till end of your trailer is now in the middle of spot or door.. then finally 4, cut wheel to left while backing to sweep the front of the truck back into the hole with the trailer.. Adjust as needed and again Get out and look after the 3rd maneuver..

There is many tricks like this one to help you along.. It takes time and nobody out there is perfect.. The day they think they are perfect they should get off the road..