Comments By Daniel (Turtle)

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0462173001539267513-81781.jpg avatar

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

Best spot to mount your GPS?

I am not sure what kind you may have.. I would shy away from relying on a GPS as much as possible.. Unless it is a Rand McNally one.. And I would invest in a laminated Rand McNally map from your local Truck stop.. The Shortest distance from point A to B is a Straight line.. Using a real map and ruler will show you best routes to take.. Also Rand McNally real maps show you restricted routes, Low bridges, weight restrictions etc etc.. They are truly the best for truckers in this industry.. They do now have there own GPS system.. My company uses them for dispatching and such also.. The GPS part works pretty good and still shows restrictions and such..

As far as your question about where to mount.. On windshield top left to bottom or center bottom works well.. Some use the steel ball Magnet type and place on dash to the right.. These are all good areas for devices.. I suggest do not place on vents, they eventually break..

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

V&S Midwest Carriers info anyone?

I have to agree with old school on that thought..

I have taken every challenge my career has thrown at me.. Back in the day even crossed Mexico a few times.. Up to The very cold Winters of Yellowknife in the NW Territories of Canada.. Every Big city to small back road out there.. IF you do proper Preplanning and have faith in your abilities you can make out just fine anywhere..

As far as V&S I have seen them in our loops here in Midwest.. If you are interested in them and have an idea of the area you want to be in, then I suggest you contact them and ask them "what lanes they operate".. They should let ya know..

Verification

Follow up.. Today everything with Tenstreet has been running smooth for us.. No note saying it was fixed or they are caught up.. But been working great on our end today..

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

V&S Midwest Carriers info anyone?

Company I am currently with is out of St. Louis, and we run most all Midwest to to Northwest.. We go up into WI and V&S comes down this way.. Have seen them out in UT and CO at times also..

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

V&S Midwest Carriers info anyone?

I think they are the same company that runs some of the same circles mine does.. I'm not that familiar with them tho.. They seem to have nice equipment, and there web page looks nice.. Is this the same company you are talking about? https://www.vsmidwest.com/

Duffle bag came in

Towels, hand towels, soap, shampoo, wipes, deodorant, mouthwash, toothpaste, toothbrush, floss, cough drops, sanitizer, Bengay, Band-Aids, aspirin, Tylenol, Q-tips, ear plugs, eyemask, melatonin, hat, gloves, neck gaiter, relevant documents, reading material, Tums, Kleenex, Atlas, Truck Stop guide, quarter bag for laundry, markers, pens, highlighter, pencil, sunglasses, flashlight, I still need boots

I suggest 2 major things that have saved my life twice on the road..

1 and most important is 2 fat candles.. During winter if stuck in snow and cold and APU or truck is out, you can use to keep warm.. They can keep a cab warm, just remember to crack a window a bit to allow fresh air in..

2nd would be a good Sleeping bag.. Can serve as an extra form of warmth in winter, and also if there is an issue with truck and get put in a slip truck long enough till yours is fix..

Securing Dry Van Load - Question

I’ve got to question how strong the walls are on a dry van. Was loading skidded aluminum coils the other day next to a dry van getting loaded with the same. I had friction mats, trip chains, straps, the whole nine yards. He just shut his doors and left. Will those walls actually stop a sliding coil?

Was years ago, but I hauled some big paper roles through the TN-NC I-40 corridor.. They Nailed boards as chalks in the floors to hold them.. They did not get one down very good and around a curve I felt it give and made a loud boom.. I slowed and stopped, and called my company who asked me to get on through the gorge with them and to just take it easy as possible.. Back in those days you did what you could.. I got through the curves and on to NC.. Both sides of the trailer was bowed out, when I got to customer.I have hauled ugly loads over the years.. And Secured many ways.. I never ran flat bed.. But that was the only time I ever had trouble running coils, rolls, of any kind.

Change Of Job and need help changing email here

Was updating my profile, as I am changing companies in another week.. Was offered a good bit to go to a company that my current company pulls for.. Anyways, I Use a company email for TruckingTruth log in.. I am sure I will be loosing that email account when I leave.. Been trying to figure out how to change the email to my regular one.. So I do not loose the information and posts that I have been doing here.. Can someone help with this?

Winter is coming!

My Nephew and I Both left Oregon heading east.. I checked weather conditions and made the choice to head up through Montana during that storm.. He did not.. Luckily he arrived late to that party and was just stuck in the jam for a few days.. I missed it all together.. Brett Aquila is right tho.. Having a CB and turned on low could of prevented the Chain reaction that proceeded after the initial accident.. Pile up like these are becoming more regular in this industry.. 30 pile up in Indiana, Big one in Baltimore.. Distracted driving is the biggest culprit.. Put the cell phone down..

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

Schneider "Zero (mishap) Tolerance" - Really?

I hope you guys can see the folly of all this heavy research you do. It's not so much that research is bad in itself, but it's that the sources where you go to get it are so pathetic when it comes to providing accurate and helpful information. Most of them count on the old misery loves company form of entertainment to attract traffic. That is a really poor business model if you want to help people succeed at this career. You have to wonder, "What is their motive?"

It's the old news format of Bad news is good news and equal ratings.. Kinda same idea in trucking.. Bad stuff, gets people talking Equal more traffic of drivers checking them out..

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

Am I ever gonna getthis backing?

You will get there.. Even as an old so called pro people can mess up.. Once on own the pressure will be more off.. I have always said that I can back one up better then pull one forward.. It was something that came natural to me cause I backed many trailers up on a farm as a kid.. The funny thing is you have good days and bad days.. There is times when I can hit the hardest dock in the world with one lovely go at it.. Then times when there is 100 acres and nothing around and 50 empty doors and it takes me 900 times to get it in there straight.. lol.. Point is take your time.. Its not a race, do not worry about the other eyes on ya.. (they all have the same issues from time to time), And never forget to Get Out And Look... Being over confident and guessing you are ok is the biggest mistake a trucker can make..

Verification

I use Tenstreet on a daily bases right now for the company I work for.. It normally does real well, and works with Hireright.. We received a noticed that Hireright was moving database to a new city.. Reno NV I think.. Hireright and tenstreet was shut down from Friday night Oct 19th to Sunday Oct 21 for the move.. We now have a new mail from them that they are backlogged and having issues, and they are working to resolve the issues.. Reports and such have been much slower.. I suggest giving them a week or so and it should get better..

CDL Training

There are hundreds more out across the US.. Just google in the state you are in or wanting to be in to find them.. They range from Big companies like Prime Inc to companies with less than 500 trucks.. Back in the 90's I went to a small company Called Super Service.. At the time they was out of Somerset KY.. I was impressed with how the school was and how easy to pay it back while I worked for them for a year.. I know they are still in business as a trucking company, but do not know if they still have a school..

I will say, that I went to a refresher course after taking a short time off the road.. I went to Prime Inc in Springfield MO.. Was a good course for my purpose.. I did not have to redo a road test or anything tho.. But they did take care of me and the other Students that was there.. I drove for them for about 2 years as a company driver.. I did not do the Lease Purchase, as I am a company man and have no desire to O/O.. I left on good terms as they was very good to me while I was there..

Good luck to you, and I hope you find one that fits your needs..

Posted:  5 months, 4 weeks ago

Can I pass the dot exam with my disability

Let hope the medical examiner will let me pass the exam. I have no problem signing the medical waiver if I have to. What would be the most physical work when you're on the road beside sleep?

Lots of good information in what most have already said.. Many companies will do many different things.. There are a few that does the Physical agility test.. There are companies that have Automatics.. I personally do not think your hearing would be any issue for any company.. And worse case scenario you might not get a 2 year Medical certificate and have to do a 1 year or smaller.. Many companies now hire and accommodate Drivers with Medical issues, loss of limbs, etc etc.. Most box trucks, and reefer units do need to be strapped in or load locked in.. Not a hard process and can normally be done on the Dock so not really climbing.. In some case you need to sweep trailers out.. Getting a step ladder and electric leaf blower helps make that easier.. Even Truck stops now have Handicap parking.. Point is, if there is a will there is a way out here to get it done and make it easier on ya..

My best advice to you tho, is if you are worried about the physical issues that can come from loading or unloading a truck.. Make sure that the company you look at has 100% no touch freight.. There are many out there that does.. They hire lumpers to load or unload the freight..

Hope this helps..

Posted:  5 months, 4 weeks ago

What is on your Public Data Report Record?

While I am waiting for Hire Right's report, I pulled a Public Data Report up and it has previous addresses which is good. But it also has me selling Cocaine to minors, Possession of a controlled substance with intent to sell to undercover agents. Doesn't have my previous 11 years of driving with a CDL A licence. In fact it doesn't show that I ever held any type of driver's licence. Which I held in California, Illinois, Okinawa, Korea and England. Doesn't show my military service. And the only way to correct it is to call all of the counties where these "offenses" occurred to get it off my record. So, if a potential employer ever pulled this up I would never get a job driving.

So much for honest reporting on someone's personal history. Now I don't care for conspiracy theories, but a word to the wise, check out your own report. It turns out that because of the same first and last name, this can be put on your report as well.

I personally do not know of any company that uses Public Data Reporting.. Hire Right, PSP, MVR, and National Sex Offender Reg.. These are Real legal services that have to deal with true records.. Hope this helps..

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

Refridgerators, APU's, and Sat TV as company perks pre-installed in their tractors

Been getting my tractor loaded and I was curious what trucking companies have fridges and some of the other perks pre-installed in their tractors as a company perk.

Few things.. Everyone I have seen here have mentioned the company they drive for.. In this post alone I have seen Millis, Swift, CFI, Maverick etc etc.. And I never said we take entry level drivers.. must be 23 and have 12 months on road for my company.. Thus one reason we do the 70mph.. The other reason is we mainly drive from St. Louis MO area to the North West and South West.. Tell me 1 state that direction that has a speed limit under 70mph? I am a Driver, and a recruiter.. And I have been on road a long time.. I don't know everything nor will I ever pretend to.. But I will try to answer questions when I can.. I answered a very simple Question honestly.. And just like the ones that had above mine.. Nobody said anything about entry level drivers or not.. Was just asking about Company perks.. And that's what I gave.. :)

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

Finding somehwere to park on home time is impossible

I have a Farm in KY so has never been a big issue.. But When visiting friends and family in different area's I have gotten creative at times.. Like when I visit my Grandmother in VA I go to a local Grocery store.. The store does not have much room But they know I am normally only there for 34 to 48 hours.. I always go in and ask tho to make sure it is ok with there management.. Other places I have gone and gotten permission from, is State parks, Local Grocery stores, Old or no longer in use stores like a Kmart or the old small walmarts that was before the Super ones.. Back Side of Strip malls, fairgrounds, local recycling centers, and contacting factory businesses in your area is decent parking also.. Main thing is to make sure you do your absolute best to contact the people who manage or own these places, to get permission.. And let them know that its for short time periods.. Most places will be nice about it, as long as you accept responsibility for any theft or damage.. Anything can be achieved with a proper conversation..

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

Life and Health OTR

Many companies now have fridges in them.. But ones that do not, you can still get installed and such.. When I started driving at age 21 I was a skinny kid that was barely 120 lbs soaking wet.. Over 20 years later, kids and an ex wife, I have seen up and downs.. at 5'10 my highest weight in my career was 250lbs, and had just quit smoking.. In past few years, as I get older, I decided to eat better.. I was never one for exercise but just eat better.. Stay away from potatoes, and greasy burgers.. I ate lots of protein like steaks and eggs.. Have dropped to about 190 lbs and feel pretty good in my 40s.. I run Reefer.. My Brother also drives.. He was about same size as me.. He went to flat bed trucking for a few years.. Lost a lot of weight and gained muscle.. Slinging chains and tarps did him good.. That might be an option for you..

In this industry many drivers let themselves go.. In some cases I have always felt it was caused by depression.. Away from family, friends, etc etc.. This career is not for everyone.. But if you have good motivation to work, and also be healthy then you will succeed at both trucking and being healthy.. I know a driver that makes a point to park near a gym as much as possible.. I forget the name of the gym.. But they are national, they have showers, and he is a member, so he can go to any of them 24\7.. There are many things possible in the realm of trucking if you are willing to figure out the time frames and make a regular routine.. Laying in bunk every night, watching tv and eating chips not the only options..

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

Economic Downturns

As an OTR I made my personal best miles and money during Dec.. But you have to be willing to be out there.. I ran a 4200 mile week many times between Christmas and New Years.. There is freight if you are willing to be out.. The issue is many OTR wants to be home, especially during that week.. Factories and companies are closed during that week, and slowed down leading up to it.. But there are ones out there still needing to get things from point A to B if you want to work.. Especially if you plan good.. I personally like to pick up a load day before Christmas that goes cross 1500+ miles and delivers day after or so.. No traffic, good miles and Customers are there and easy to get unloaded..

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

Dynamic Transit, Runs 386 and 389 Pete's at 70 mph.. APU, Fridge, 1500 inverter, kerosene Bunk heaters.. And can add things to truck at your cost, like Sat. T.V. lights, Chrome, etc etc.. We also still do $63 per diem per day ran, which is a bonus in my opinion..