Profile For Noob_Driver

Noob_Driver's Info

IN

Rookie Solo Driver

9 months, 1 week ago

Noob_Driver's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Noob_Driver's Photo Gallery

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

Thinking of Packrat...

They definatley load and unload fast. The problem is getting to a dock. I always seem to get a 2hr or so wait to get to that point. Wierd you mention that pete, since ive been back from hometime its been wisconsin to rochester with beer and back with paper for awhile and all of the sudden its an 8k lb john deere load to nc. Feels wierd back there climbing these hills. Not complaining at all though.

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

The TruckingTruth Meet Up Thread

Im through Indiana quite a bit and their rest areas are great! Love the spaces open signs thats a huge help. My favorites are the trucks only lots on 90. Wide lanes, dark and quiet. I sleep like a baby there. I live nearby in northwest indiana and everytime i drive by i think about opening a food truck and parking in there since theres no services.

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

Offset backing technique

I did the same technique with a full sleeper in school. Just watch for the midddle point of the landing gear where the two beams meet and go a little past. While your in class you shouldnt be worrying about getting out and looking like you wiill on the test so I would suggest that. Watch your mirror until that point then get out and look at everything. Your trailer should be lined up with the lane you want. Now just get back under your trailer and get out and look again. Then slowly wrap it around that cone.

Dont be ashamed to hop out of the cab and look at whats going on. If your at home cutting your grass you dont just assume the lawnmowers working you check your work.

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

Tough local backing for a newbie

Forgot the picture! Lol

rofl-3.gif0871383001565043266.jpg

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

Tough local backing for a newbie

I know this is probably easy for you veterans but i had a hell of a time getting into this spot between to OTR trucks. Thats a guard rail in front of the tracks i must have gotten out a dozen times to check and see how close i was, and a dozen more times to cheeck my trailer. I had quite the backup behind me honking like savages. I could care less. Always take your time fellow newbs.

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

Any pros and cons on millis

No questions i guess. confused.gif

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

Any pros and cons on millis

As a rookie im about 2 1/2 months or so into my solo career and its flown by. I have zero complaints about Millis, if pressed im sure i could find some nitpicks but theyre all superficial. As far as schooling goes and class instruction its different for every student out there. Me personally Millis was perfect mainly because of class size. Ive had this debate a few times with others here on the forum but for my own preference small class size with hands on personalized teaching was a big help. If thats not your thing and you prefer a larger class size maybe Millis isnt for you. I cant speak to Swifts schooling so I wont even try. Ill focus on Millis. You go in prepared.... Go over the high road training on this website and pass your permit test. Week 1 will be mainly classwork and some videos and pretrip. Towards the end of the week you'll do backing maneuvers. 2nd week all hands on backing and driving and pretrip. Dont stress on pretrip week 1 and 2 if your not getting it. It comes with repetition and when your not behind the steering wheel hop out of the truck and go do a pretrip on a empty trailer or on a truck thats not being used.

Expect a class of 4 to 6 people at millis. I went to the richfield wisconsin school we had 4 graduate and pass the cdl on our first try.

If you have any specific questions just ask, myself and Pete will be happy to help. Also Packrat drove for Millis so he could help too.

Posted:  2 weeks, 4 days ago

Thinking of Packrat...

As I bask here in this fine Days Inn in Morris, IL while my truck is getting repairs performed, a thought about my recent orientation came to mind. Of one of the several short videos we saw, several were on roll over crashes. These were all Knight drivers caught on dash cam during their catastrophes. Of the four videos, two were surprising to me at the slow speed, and really caught me by surprise (just as it did the driver in the video, I’m sure!). One was on a 20 mph curve, where the driver was moving at 22 mph and rolled. The other was also a 20 mph exit, where the driver was moving at 15 mph. The biggest takeaway was the cargo itself, the type of freight and how high the center-of-gravity was for each trailer. One load was only 22,000 lbs, while the other was 39,000 lbs. Something to think about.

Most rigs I’ve seen on their sides or on their roof have usually been observed on an exit or entrance ramp, or on a long straightaway. I can’t help but wonder when I see most of these, “Now how did that start and end so badly?”.

Only just read this this morning, but it really hit home as I'm pulling my first load with the tall paper rolls. Thanks Packrat.

I hate those rolls. I treat them like nitroglycerin. I’m like a turtle on ramps.

My bet on straightaway roll overs is dozing off.

I hate the tall paperloads. Ive had a alot the past month and they always scare the you know what out of me. Theres something wierd about 5 or so paper rolls as tallas the top of the trailer with no straps or load locks just that wierd rubber mat underneath. I always see H.O. wolding trucks at the same spots we pickup so im sure youve dealt with it quite a bit too.

Packrat your an inspiration sir! Keep it up.

Posted:  2 weeks, 5 days ago

Crooked Lines

I mentioned the crooked line. It was at a walmart dc in pottsville pa. I dont remember the dock number and am probably wrong anyway. Lol. I looked through all my old paperwork and found it but i didnt write down my dock number for some reason. Next time im there ill go on a hunt for the crooked line and take a picture. Or maybe Gtown can poke around and look for it.

rofl-1.gif

Posted:  2 weeks, 5 days ago

Mechanics shortage equals driver shortage in intensity

Rick said

I check trucking company websites on their employment pages - and EVERY ONE OF THEM is looking for diesel techs.

just think if this shortage continues how long some drivers will wait for repairs. We already see members tell us their truck was in the shop for a week or more for repairs. Sometimes they need to wait on parts but it seems they simply don't have enough mechanics and have such a long waiting list it isnt efficient at all. If the problem continues it probably wont be uncommon to need to swap trucks anytime theres any issues with your truck.

I had to burn a 34 reset at our Carlisle terminal, THE DAY BEFORE GOING HOME, for an annual inspection on the tractor I have now. This was with ZERO defects!

Similiar situation. When my airbag was leaking i pulled into our Burleson terminal on a sunday at about noon. Shops closed on Sunday. Talked to the shop manager Monday morning he said this afternoon. Didnt get in all day Monday. They had one mechanic in there plus some trailer guys. Tuesday afternoon rolls around and theres a guy from the local Kenworth dealer who drove to the shop to look at it. He finds the leak but doeant have the part. He'll be back tomorrow afternoon to finish it on Wednesday..... My hometime was supposed to start Wednesday at 9am. Oh well.... I get problems pop up and i know the guys in the shop are busy i watched them for 3 days! Same story.... They cant find find help. Its gotten so bad theyre calling in mechanics from local kenworth dealers. I dont know much about service but Im going to assume that bringing in an outside mechanic to your shop probably costs a bit more than having your own on site mechanic.

Posted:  3 weeks, 1 day ago

Crap Companies

There's a ton of garbage out there regarding youtube videos and what companies to drive for. Its the same with politics and current news issues, unfortunately we've become a society where people have retreated into echo chambers and my team vs your team seems to be where everyone lines up. So you get a video from a guy or gal who worked for company A and it didnt work out so they bash company A. Well as they make this video they are currently working for company B and everythings going great so Company B is now fantastic...... Fast forward 6 months and company B is now terrible and company C is fantastic or quite possibly they went back to Company A and its now great.

Avoid all that mess.... Its all personal opinions. Theres enough info out there to find out what you need to make your own decisions the biggest is yourself. Actually make some calls and write down and compare the companies yourself tailored to your own expectations and wants.

There are some great youtube videos that are instructional theyre easy to find if you know what your looking for. Avoid commentary and focus soley on instruction.

Perfect example is a pre trip self test by cdl college LLC. Its a silent video with zero commentary just showing parts with a pause for your answer then they give the answer.

I tried to put the link but it wouldnt take it from youtube.

Posted:  3 weeks, 3 days ago

Help with BACKING

It is just going to take time. Practice coordinating your steering movements with the trailer response in a big open area where you do not have to worry about hitting anything. Soon you will wonder what "was the big deal?". I took it as a personal challenge when backing into docks, etc., and it motivated me. I still do.

The key word Don used is "PRACTICE". I used to practice at delivery locations if I had some time to kill. There was no pressure and I could get out and step off distances, measure distances and set-ups. Anybody watching me probably wondered what that crazy old man was doing. If somebody was super focused and did this, they could even keep a notebook of backing data, recording distances and other information that would make successful backing "repeatable". Backing is almost a scientific thing. Good backers keep track of what works and what doesn't. At first, they experiment in their free time and hone in on the skills they need. Then they refine their skills by "one back at a time". Pretty soon they have their master's degree in backing.

A big open area would be amazing. I somehow managed to pass my backing test but my real world backing was terrible and continued to be so as i went through training it seemed i was getting worse as i documented in my training documentary. We finally got around to a terminal and by accident found myself doing the serpentine exercise. I was just trying to get setup for another 90 and was backing around aome cones rather than driving forward and around the whole yard and riak going over 5 miles an hour to kick me on the drive line. So we figured let's setup some cones and maneuver around these cones to get a feel for the trailer. And i cant explain enough how much this helped. Just in learning how much steering wheel spin moves the trailer one way or the other. It sounds simple but we didnt do this in class and I havent heard if any other classes do this but I think they all should. If not in class than every trainer should find the time for it.

I assume its lack of a big open space because you do need a ton of it for this. Has anyone else done this exercise during training?

Posted:  3 weeks, 6 days ago

Try again

In my 5 months out here i have yet to do a true 90 alley dock mainly 45s and straights. Even the 90 test wasnt really a 90 its more of a 70°. Not to hijack his thread but how many actual 90s are out here? I mean a true 90, im not being a wise guy im generally curious.

Posted:  3 weeks, 6 days ago

WalMart 7030 Pottsville, PA

Remember my previous post and lookout for that 1 dock with the crooked line.

rofl-2.gif

Posted:  3 weeks, 6 days ago

Air suspension question

Burleson. Only took about an hour thankfully. He wants me to watch closely the governor cut in in case with the leak it was damaged with the computer sensors. I have a run from ft worth up to chicago so ill watch it close and if theres any problems. I start hometime after i deliver so ill drive it up to the terminal and put another service order in. Just getting loaded now and it seems to be doing the same. My pressure was at 80ish and the gauge showed no weight. Tapped the breaks a few times and the governor kicked in and now its showing 40k... Who knows.

Posted:  3 weeks, 6 days ago

Air suspension question

So finally gor my truck looked at on Tuesday. Small leak in one of the 4 suspension airbags. Mechanic had to simulate a heavy load in order to actually find the leak. So what was happening was while driving heavy and going over bumps one of the airbags was leaking causing my air system to slowly lose psi dropping my fifth wheel frame with it causing a much bumpier ride. Of course with my bad luck they didnt have the part so i have to wait another day to get this fixed. Talking to the mechanic theres no way to pretrip something like this because how do you simulate bumpy roads while parked. Another reminder to monitor your gauges like a hawk while driving.

Posted:  4 weeks ago

Finding a school to retrain/advice

Pretty sure Millis retrains. We had a student who fell out at Prime and was in my class.

Posted:  4 weeks, 1 day ago

Training blues

Im baffled by this. This trainer knows he's disgusting and just doesn't care! He knows he lost his last few students due to his hygiene and refuses to do something about it? Sometimes its hard for me to wrap my head around how people can be like this. I can see a solo driver being a slob, we've all seen them out here. They're mainly harming themselves and the 10 minutes a day theyre around other humans but to be a trainer and be so bold to say i dont care what all my students say, im not going to wash..... That takes some really dirty balls.

Posted:  4 weeks, 1 day ago

Air suspension question

Your suspension gauge will go up and down while driving. It is also only accurate on level ground. I believe Millis uses T680's. They are notorious for small leaks. How is your seat adjusted? Good luck.

I know it fluctuates as you go down the road with bumps, braking and acceleration. But it went from 60k to basically zero. I was driving at the time so i didnt want to grab my phone and snap a picture. When i took the picture it was after pulling off the road at a rest stop and the compressor had kicked in from braking.

My seat is pretty high because of my height i know everyone here preaches to noobs to lower your seat but i really cant. Old schools method applies to my high seat for me. If you mean am i getting to the point where i lose so much air my seat drops then no.

Im way back in line at the terminal for service they said hopefully this afternoon so we shall see.

Posted:  4 weeks, 1 day ago

Swift Walmart account, Pottsville, PA

Ive delivered to Pottsville several times. They have really nice people in the shipping/receiving office. Also they have crooked lines on the door i delivered to the first time. I probably bumped that dock 6 times. Before i finally figured out the passenger side line was about 8 inches off. Straight lines on all the other docks i went to.