Profile For Doug C.

Doug C.'s Info

Annandale, MN

In CDL School

6 months ago

Doug C.'s Bio

I am married with five grown children. I have always wanted to be a long haul truck driver. I read an article in the paper in May 2018 about the trucker shortage. This rekindled the old fire, so I've decided to pursue the dream. I got my DOT medical card and CDP in March. I will start training with CRST May 5.

I have backgrounds in open pit and underground mining, surgical technology, property management/ maintenance, years volunteering with hospice, and full time pastoral ministry. I also have a BS in psychology. I play guitar and piano, and enjoy photographing birds and animals.

Posted:  22 hours, 50 minutes ago

Leaving For School On Midnight May 4th

Backing was better today. I made it about halfway into the alley dock before I gave too much pivot. The straight back and offset manuvers are coming along nicely. Providing I get the backing down and and road test done I could be finished this weekend. Then orientation by next week. That's my goal

Posted:  2 days, 20 hours ago

Leaving For School On Midnight May 4th

Thank you Pack Rat. I will persevere. It's kind of nice because my classmates are all struggling too. We are in the same boat. I want to throw this advice out to anyone in school or planning to go, observe all the backing you can. You learn a lot from watching.

Posted:  2 days, 22 hours ago

Leaving For School On Midnight May 4th

Okay... passed the Pre-trip with an "A" but...now comes backing up. The Alley dock is the hardest. I've tested on three times now and failed. I am getting used to it but it's taking more time than I would like. But the again I only started working on backing up on Wednesday. By the way it was 86 here yesterday and cold and rainy here today.

Posted:  5 days, 6 hours ago

Leaving For School On Midnight May 4th

I waved as you went by! Good news...passed the Pre-Trip Inspection exam this morning. I start backing practice this afternoon.

Posted:  1 week, 1 day ago

CRST Schooling Update

Thank you guys. I appreciate all of your comments and thoughts more than you know.

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

CRST Schooling Update

Hey guys. Just a little update. So far the school is really good. I have no regrets in coming here for my training. The instructors are very supportive, and helpful. They are top notch in my opinion.

I have driven twice in the last two days. It's fun, and nerve racking. We start testing this next week on Pre-Trip, backing and driving. However, a student gets multiple chances and practice to pass. One student failed 7 times but they continued working with her until she passed. Let me be clear, the instructors and examiners do make it easy. Nothing is given that isn't earned. If you get our CDL it is because you earned it and know the material.

I will update more later but I have a schedule and studying that is calling right now. Thank you guys and ladies at Trucking Truth for being there. I am spreading the word about the website among the student I talk with.

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

Leaving For School On Midnight May 4th

Class room work completed, we start on the trucks at 7:30am tomorrow.

Posted:  2 weeks ago

Leaving For School On Midnight May 4th

Thank you guys. Just a brief update. First day of class was long and very interesting. We coved the pre-trip and ton of other stuff. Also met up with Million Miler 24 yesterday. Hi even took me out for lunch. Now that I'm settling in things look good. Thanks for all the moral support. More later.

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

Leaving For School On Midnight May 4th

That would have been cool Rob. Another day some day.

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

Leaving For School On Midnight May 4th

Spaceman, as I write this it 4:15am and have just arrived in Des Moines, Iowa for a five hour layover. I felt really good one we left home for the bus station in Minnesota. It has been a pleasant trip so far. I will be in Cedar Rapids by noon. I will have good contact with home. Lot of support there.

Posted:  2 weeks, 2 days ago

Thanks Pack Rat.

Posted:  2 weeks, 2 days ago

Leaving For School On Midnight May 4th

I made final preparations today. Picked up my bus ticket, and some snack stuff at Walmart. My friends made a cake for a send off and it was a good time. They all support what I am doing.

I had hoped to ward off the sad feeling about leaving home, but with out warning it showed up this evening. I know that we men don't talk much about how we feel, but we're all friends here and a sort of family. So to you I will admit I had a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye. I have a really wonderful wife and we have a good home. Although going to school is right and I want to, it's still hard to go.

It's almost bed time now and I'm feeling good about everything again. I'm ready to leave tomorrow night and with the city lights in the rearview mirror take head off for this new adventure.

I'm thankful for this place where we can talk about all aspects of trucking, even the emotional side. Thank you guys for always being around here.

Posted:  2 weeks, 2 days ago

Already packed!0

Posted:  2 weeks, 4 days ago

Thank you Spaceman.

Posted:  2 weeks, 4 days ago

Thanks Kyle.

Posted:  2 weeks, 4 days ago

Leaving For School On Midnight May 4th

I hear that. My favorite is the train.

Posted:  2 weeks, 4 days ago

A minor setback, not truckin related.

It is painful to have to endure a disappointment like this.

Posted:  2 weeks, 4 days ago

Leaving For School On Midnight May 4th

Hey PackRat. Hope you're doing ok. I will think the bus ride will be ok. Twelve hours isn't too bad, I recall I spent three days on a bus once and I survived that okay!

Posted:  2 weeks, 5 days ago

That sounds really good to me right now. Thanks Turtle

Posted:  2 weeks, 5 days ago

Leaving For School On Midnight May 4th

By the way Old School, that's a great article. I'm going to keep it in mind in the days ahead. Thanks.