Profile For Rob D.

Rob D.'s Info

Ballwin, MO

Preparing For School

10 months, 1 week ago

Rob D.'s Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Posted:  51 minutes ago

Trip Planning Practice #02

There is a Big Dog Tire and Trailer Washout in Syracuse.

0550105001575898612.jpg

Posted:  13 hours, 23 minutes ago

My Roehl training adventure

Wild-Bill,

Thanks for the update. It sounds like your practice course is pretty large if you are getting up to higher speeds.

Posted:  14 hours, 20 minutes ago

Trip Planning Practice #02

Kearsey,

I will post my spreadsheet tomorrow, but as I mentioned above, I took a southern route staying the first night in Bloomington, IL. 484 miles for that day. I also have options for overnight around Davenport, IA. Considering the snow you ran into, I expect to maybe need overnight options from 300 to 484 miles.

Next day, Tuesday, I've planned 483 miles staying the night in Wheeling, VA. I plan to avoid as many overnights in the east, as I expect overnight parking will be difficult.

Next day, Wednesday, I plan to make it to Newark NJ and still have enough time to make it to make it to Molly Pitcher for overnight.

Next day, Thursday, I can deliver to Philadelphia, early morning and make it to Syracuse, NY in the same day.

And trying to be like my hero Turtle, there is a go-kart track at the Flying J off exit 123 east of Indianapolis. So for my 30 minute break that day, I can go drive go karts.

smile.gif

Posted:  1 day, 21 hours ago

Kearsey you aren’t in Maine, by any chance?

Kearsey's truck:

0452318001575738019.jpg

Posted:  1 day, 21 hours ago

Getting hired with a ticket and misdemeanor

I have seen this comment several times about 15 mph over being reckless driving. Specifically, Bird One's comment that "laws vary by state."

This is how I understand the issue and Rick, Brett or others can correct me if I'm wrong.

It involves the relation between state traffic laws and the FMCSA regulations regarding "serious traffic offenses" and "disqualifying offenses." Even if state law does not define speeding in excess of 15 mph over the limit as reckless driving, the FMCSA regulations consider it a "serious traffic offense" in the same category as reckless driving. So for all practical purposes, it's reckless driving. So is making erratic lane changes and following too closely, which are both rather subjective tickets for LEO to issue. I saw a tanker truck make a quick lane change the other day. A LEO having a bad day could have easily pulled him over and ticketed him for an erratic lane change.

FMCSA Disqualifying Offenses

Note that the FMCSA regulations don't affect your state issued CDL license. Two tickets for speeding more than 15 mph over the limit does not result in a suspension of your CDL license. Rather the regulations state:

An employer must not knowingly allow, require, permit, or authorize a driver who is disqualified to drive a CMV.

Two tickets for more than 15 mph over the limit in three years requires a 60-day suspension by the employer.

Jrod has posted the following link several time regarding minimum qualifications for drivers which tracks the "serious offenses" and "disqualifying offenses" under the FMCSA regulations.

Jrod Minimum Hiring Qualifications

Thus, a trucking company's concern is not how the offense is treated under state law. Rather, their concern is the FMCSA regulations that require suspension of their driver's qualification to drive a truck and therefore, is an indicator of poor driving.

Also of note are the disqualifying offenses related to railroad crossings, which require a 60-day suspension on the first offense. And as one experienced driver learned recently, unfortunate timing in approaching a railroad crossing can result in a railroad crossing related traffic ticket.

Posted:  3 days, 1 hour ago

No longer taking insulin!

Marc,

Great to hear that things are finally going your way.

Posted:  3 days, 1 hour ago

Views From the Office Window (Post Yours Please!)

This year, the day after Memorial Day:

0064018001575637640.jpg

On the way to the top, we passed a day cab driving on windy US 6.

Posted:  3 days, 22 hours ago

This was weird

See the link below regarding dyed fuel, which is not subject to the Federal Excise Tax or at Missouri fuel taxes.

Missouri Dyed Fuel Tax Exemption

Posted:  4 days ago

Views From the Office Window (Post Yours Please!)

Packrat says:

I know! Some day when I'm stopped in East St. Louis, I'm going to give you a shout, Rob.

I was being more sarcastic than anything. I understand the tight schedules don't allow drivers to stop whenever and wherever. Unlike other wannabes, I realize trucking isn't a vacation around the country.

But ping me when you're in East St. Louis.

Posted:  4 days, 17 hours ago

Views From the Office Window (Post Yours Please!)

I passed this one earlier in Missouri, heading north towards Iowa.

You were heading North on US 61 and didn't look me up while you were near St. Louis?

Posted:  4 days, 17 hours ago

Preparing for a Trucking Career with Roehl

I'm from the extreme southeast part of MO--the "Bootheel" in a little town called Charleston, about 45 min due south of Cape Girardeau.

So then you know the local pronunciations of Cairo, New Madrid, and Hayti then?

Ever work around the cotton-fields?

Nice to see another Missourian on the forum. My step-father was from Warrensburg and actually drove OTR in the 70's. I spent a couple of week with one summer when I was 15.

Posted:  4 days, 20 hours ago

Preparing for a Trucking Career with Roehl

Cowboy,

I noticed that you are in the Warrensburg area. I lived there when I was younger. Are you from that area?

Rob.

Posted:  5 days, 2 hours ago

Survey: Your biggest worries and most important questions

My biggest worry is whether I am making the right decision. I am making the career change because, like many others, I am burnt out in the corporate world. But will I like trucking better than the corporate world?

My most important questions are:

1. Health insurance. Prime's health insurance becomes effective 90 days after you're officially hired, so how do I cover the gap?

2. Will I get accepted to orientation? I want to work for Prime for several reasons. But I will apply at several companies.

3. Will I get a bad trainer? I don't see many posts about good trainers.

4. Will I survive the training phase, even if a get a good trainer?

5. Will I survive my first year without making a career ending mistake?

6. Will I like the OTR lifestyle? Being away from home doesn't bother me in concept, but I won't know until I experience it.

7. Will the OTR lifestyle put too much strain on my marriage? My wife is supportive, but we won't know until we experience it.

8. Can I handle the flatbed physical requirements and harsh weather?

9. Will I make a mistake that will get me fired?

10. Will I make the money I need without pushing my schedule so hard that I'm always stressed out? There are many posts about the lease ops and owner operators trainers who are always stressed out because they are always anxious about keeping moving. And there are other posts about the go go go pace.

11. Will I have time to do things other just drive, sleep, eat? I don't need a lot of time for my hobbies,

12. Will I be able to manage my schedule so that I can explore some of the places I travel?

13. Will something beyond my control like health problems keep me from driving? I am generally healthy, but I have read many posts where people have lost their medical card. What happened to Bruce?

14. Will I have good support from my FM and company?

Posted:  6 days ago

Multi-Stop Flatbed Loads

Old School, this is great information.

Old School advises:

Once you learn to handle them it's not too bad. Rookies struggle with tarps at first, and it's understandable.

I'm guessing the learning curve with tarps is proper positioning before you unroll them. That once unrolled you want the flaps to drop into position without any repositioning of the tarp. Otherwise, you will have to pull an unrolled tarp against significant friction at the corners.

Posted:  6 days, 3 hours ago

Multi-Stop Flatbed Loads

Old School said:

I get on top of the load and simply pull one tarp forward and one tarp backwards.

What is your tarp set up?

In looking at tarps, I see many different sizes and weights. Even up to 136 lbs.

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

Trip Planning Practice 03

Just used Excel to make it.

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

Trip Planning Practice 03

Here is my plan, using my spreadsheet.

Here's how to read the spreadsheet:

Miles column is cumulative between 11/14 hours resets. This way I can project my entire drive time for my 11/14.

Drive time uses 50 mph.

Start/arrive is start/stop driving per the clock. I generally round up to build in some cushion.

Overnight is where I plan to spend 8/10.

Breaks are where I plan to spend breaks.

I don't really factor in time spent in the yard, because that will simply shift my total clock.

0752188001574863753.jpg

Posted:  2 weeks, 4 days ago

Walmart Private Fleet

Turtle,

Thanks for the update.

Seems like you don't have as much "free time" as you did flatbedding?

Rob.

Posted:  2 weeks, 4 days ago

Applying to Swift, Question

George says:

Hi, I was filling out the online form for Swift, and it asks if I've ever used an illegal substance. Check 'no' to that, but half a lifetime ago I got hauled in on a paraphernalia charge when the cops busted a party. Marijuana pipe, wasn't even mine (ahh, to be 18 and in love again. lol).

G-town advises:

Answer the questions based on exactly what they are asking, nothing more, nothing less.

Quot

While I don't know all the questions on a the Swift applications, based on your question, there are three that would come to mind specifically with regard to your drug use.

1. Have you ever used an illegal substance?

What is your answer?

2. Have you been arrested ?

Yes for possession of drug paraphernalia.

3. Have you ever been convicted of a crime?

What is your answer?

Posted:  2 weeks, 4 days ago

Training with Veriha updates...

Marc,

Great to see you out there driving, after all you've been through.

Does it feel good just to be behind the wheel?

Rob.