Profile For Rob D.

Rob D.'s Info

Ballwin, MO

Preparing For School

11 months, 2 weeks ago

Rob D.'s Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Posted:  4 hours, 2 minutes ago

Post A Picture Of Your Significant Other Here’s Mine

Well seems like me and my hand are getting a divorce. As of next weekend I'll have Bonnie here as a truck companion. My daughters bringing her to me. She was rescued from a bad situation a while back. Kept in a small pet carrier, pee and poop etc. Caused her to get a tail infection and they had to dock (amputate actually) part of her tail to stop the infection from killing her. She has put on 12 pounds in the last couple months. Shes healthy and happy now.

0233969001579553360.jpg

Mikey,

Welcome to the Pitbull club.

0195764001579555354.jpg

Posted:  6 hours, 13 minutes ago

Trainer kicked me off the truck tonight!

This discussion reminded me of a Rodney Atkins song. The chorus is below:

If you're going through hell, keep on going

Don't slow down , if you're scared don't show it

You might get out before the devil even knows you're there

My attitude is whether I draw a good or bad trainer, I intend to put my head down and push through. If I focus on how bad it is, it will only be more miserable and make it seem longer.

Posted:  13 hours, 48 minutes ago

Best route from Anaheim to Chicago

When you come through St. Louis, at the interchange of I-44 and I-270, take 270 south, which will turn into I-255 that will take your across the river into Illinois and then it turns into I-55. It's a little longer but you will avoid all the St. Louis City traffic and the rather confusing set of interchanges in East St. Louis.

Posted:  1 day, 3 hours ago

Hey Rob. D

I'll be there whatever time you tell me. I'll bring gloves and will be as hands on as you'll let me.

Posted:  2 days, 11 hours ago

Trainer kicked me off the truck tonight!

I'm hoping to get Gunny Hartman as a trainer.

Oh really now?

Come to CFI and you can be my first student. I dare you.

good-luck-2.gifsmile.gifgood-luck.gif

If I wanted to be a door swinger, I'd take you up on your offer.

But if Prime will have me, I'll move forward with my plan to be a knuckle dragger there.

Jay F.:

Please keep us updated on how things go with you new trainer. As someone who is preparing for school, the "bad trainer" stories give me, and I'm sure many who read this form, concern.

It's the updates that really put the entire situation in perspective. When someone Googles "trainer kicked me off the truck" this thread will come up. When there is no update, prospective drivers, or people in your same situation don't know what happened.

But when they read an update months later that shows you persevered, even if you get another bad trainer, it makes say to themselves "If Jay F. could become a top tier driver after getting thrown off his trainer's truck, maybe I can too."

Good luck with the new trainer and I'm looking forward to hearing your success story.

good-luck.gif

Posted:  3 days, 4 hours ago

Trainer kicked me off the truck tonight!

I'm hoping to get Gunny Hartman as a trainer.

It can also be a safety issue. For instance, you're trying to get backed in off the street and cars are blowing their horn at you because they're impatient.

I've joke with my wife that when people honk at me because I'm holding them up backing in, I get out of the truck and go to their window and say:

"I can't understand what you're saying."

When they yell, "move you're truck," I'll say "oh, you want me to get back in my truck and finish backing in? Are you sure? Because I just want to make sure that I'm doing what you want me to do."

When they roll their eyes and say "just finish backing in," I'll say "okay, just as long as we're on the same page." And give them the double thumbs up.

My wife thinks this will get me shot.

Posted:  3 days, 4 hours ago

Hey Rob. D

Bird-one,

What time should I be there?

And do I need to bring any PPE? I already plan to wear steel toe boots.

Rob.

Posted:  4 days, 2 hours ago

Hey Rob. D

Bird-one,

Any word on the ride along?

Rob.

Posted:  4 days, 13 hours ago

I am uncomfortable taking an on-site sleep study-I already have 2 year medical card

Priscilla,

Please update this post with the results of your test, or whatever action you decide to take.

It will not only let those who have commented know the outcome, but also let others who are in your similar situation know what to expect.

Posted:  5 days, 23 hours ago

Is anyone driving trucks to Alaska and back?

Talking about remote delivery, on my Canada trip last August, we stayed at the Alexis Hotel in Port Hope Simpson, which is on the Translabrador highway and pretty much on the northern edge of civilization in Canada. The helicopter below delivers to places further north where there are no roads. The stretch of the Translabrador highway, dubbed the Loneliest Road in the World, from Port Hope Simpson is 250 miles of about half gravel road and half fresh pavement with no services on any kind on that 250 miles stretch. See the other picture below.

0617211001579054195.jpg0331528001579054704.jpge

Posted:  1 week ago

Hey Rob. D

Rob Dee just may be a sleeper agent. I've had that suspicion since our meeting in East St. Louis last month.....?

Of course it's child's play when you have the spooks producing whatever documents I need.

Posted:  1 week, 1 day ago

Hey Rob. D

BTW,

To provide assurance that I am not a terrorist, I will bring my HAZMAT Endorsement Threat Assessment clearance letter.

Posted:  1 week, 1 day ago

Fired from an accident

Michael,

You might want to read this:

Persian Conversion Rollover Story

BTW, there is happy ending.

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

Hey Rob. D

Bird one,

Do I need to submit any paperwork to your company before the ride-along?

What time do you want me to meet you at the lot on January 25?

Hopefully, no head gashes this time.

Rob.

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

Trip.Planning Practice #05

Overall plan:

1st overnight: Flying J Perrysburg, OH (536 miles). There are many other options for overnight along I-80/I-90 after Cleveland.

2nd day: 262 miles to shipper at Romeoville, IL. Take my 30 at the shipper. I'm assuming two hours in and out.

2nd overnight: Flying J Spiceland, IN (497 miles on the day) again many stops before Indianapolis in case my 14 hour clock starts running short.

3rd day: should be able to deliver 8:30 local time. (126 miles after my 10). So I have quite a bit of miles and clock left after dropping off.

Details in the link below:

Paulsboro, NJ to Washington Court House Ohio trip plan

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

High-hooking a trailer

Bird-one,

I'm hoping you'll show me the technique January 25.

smile.gif

Agree. Schneider taught cranking the trailer down to the center of the fifth wheel till you couldn't see daylight. I try and do that every time. I say "try" because I know G-town remembers my post when the crank handle smacked me in the head and split my eyebrow open. It was from me trying lower a reefer with 40k in the box. It was goingno where. It was probably low enough too but my ocd said otherwise. No shame in trying to find the spotter so you can get a lift.

Actually in the official Swift video I watched, "proper height" is when the front edge of the trailer is pretty much on level with the center of the 5th wheel. Whatever works for you!

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

Greenhorn and trying to make sure I don't get in too deep

Lost has a new strategy:

I'm still going to talk to as many people as I can.

find out everything I can.

YES!. But use the right resources like this website.

I am in a similar situation to yourself. Tired of my current situation I began to look for second careers later in life and trucking kept coming up. Until I began researching it, I didn't realize how much there is to learn about trucking.

Read the resources above.

Spend some time reading the training diaries to learn about training at different companies.

Spend some time reading this forum where you will learn about the trucking lifestyle and daily obstacles drivers encounter. You will also realize how many people get into trucking without understanding what to expect. You will soon learn why you have received some of the blunt responses. In my short time on this website I have been amazed at the number of delusional posts like "I didn't know that I would have to sleep in my trainer's truck." Seriously?

There are so many things to learn about trucking beyond your initial questions. Some seemingly minor things may dramatically affect your success. Two examples that come to mind.

First, cell phone use is prohibited by Federal regulations. Recently, a driver posted that he was fired because he touched his cell phone while driving. That is not the first instance of a "zero tolerance" cell phone use termination that I have seen on this website. The regulations also contain other "disqualifying offenses" that result in a suspension of your ability to drive and earn money.

Second, in addition to disqualifying traffic offenses, you have to have a DOT medical card to drive. If you have a change in health that results in a loss of your medical card, you can't drive. You will see many posts on the forum about drivers who had to find another job because they lost their medical card.

After having learned quite a bit, I plan to move forward with trucking. I think it will fit my personality. But I definitely have a more serious perspective on trucking since my first post in this forum.

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

Rookie who can’t stand otr training

Howard says:

Does "driving isn't for everybody" mean "it probably isn't going to be for most" or "the odds are heavily stacked against you should you give this a try"?

Every career, hobby, sport, or pastime appeals to different people. There is no one size fits all. In the movie City Slickers Jack Palance holds up his finger in response to Billy's Crystal's question about the meaning of life. Billy Crystal says "your finger." Jack Palance says "no, one thing" and explains that the one thing is different for everyone.

In Victor Frankl's book Man's Search for Meaning he analyzed holocaust survivors and determined that those who survived had some sense of meaning or purpose in their life. He used the phrase that those who have a whyto live can endure almost any how. Again, it is different for each person.

In my opinion, people tend to view life from two different perspectives. They either have a why and decide what they want to get out of life or they don't have a why and simply have a list of things they want to avoid in life. The latter being the complain, blame, and criticize crowd.

So what relevance does this have for you? What do you want to get out of trucking? Or if I ask it another way, if you found out today you had 6 months to live (all of being healthy) what would you do?

For me, it would be to buy an RV and drive around the country with my wife. I would spend most of the rest of my time on a traveling adventure with the most important person in my life. I like travel (driving not flying), I like to explore new places, I like to see different people (but only for short interactions), I like my "ME" time while I'm driving, I like to ponder deep thoughts as I drive, and I like to write creatively.

I think that I will get most of those things in trucking. And the hard part of trucking? I can endure any how for the right why.

There are a lot of resources on this website to learn about the trucking lifestyle. Packrat just started a "day in the life" thread, so you can see day by day what a trucker does.

See if there is something trucking offers that appeals to you. If so, jump in with both feet. If not, I hope you find what works for you.

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

My Roehl training adventure

Wild- bill

It all makes perfect sense and what I figured- driving as job takes some of the enjoyment out of it, even if you like to drive.

Looking forward to hearing more about your adventures in Trucking.

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

Starting on my path to a career in trucking!

Brandon,

Great updates and thanks for all the securement photos.