Profile For Ronald D.

Ronald D.'s Info

5 years, 11 months ago

Ronald D.'s Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

What are the blood preasure requirements to pass a DOT Physical

Just curious what are the blood preasure requirements for passing a dot physical. I have slight high blood preasure and did not think of this till now. So does anyone know for sure how that work for the physical? thanks Ron

What is the best way to study and pass for my CDL permit in Arizona

I have been looking at Knight Transportations Squire training program and very interested in it. They do require you to get your permit first. And I assume I also need a dot physical to get the permit from what I read. What I want to know is what is the best way to study to ensure I pass that test the first time. I realize at 58 testing is something I have not had to preasure myself to do in many years. I just want to know how to study and what to study and are all the test in all states pretty much the same for a CDL permit? And how long are CDL Permits good for, incase I get it and then dont end up starting a training program till later is why I ask how long they are good for.

One fear I have of becoming a driver is mountains and steep grades does anyone els?

Hi Daniel I am not saying I wont drive them at all just asked if regions dont have them. I would just be the one they may laugh at going slow down them since I dont like heights and like to be alive at the bottom of the hill not the side of a cliff.

thanks Ron

I asked about mountain driving before here is the reason why

I understand what you say maybe something happened to cause it but I assure you the conditions were nasty that night and he flew unbelievably fast by us. I was glad he did not get hurt but is was scary to see it. Also as you point out just because others feel safe flying down the hills does nto mean I have to your are correct as you state a driver is captain of his own ship. I most likely would be the one they laugh at passing me up going like a turtle down them. I just hate being the laughing stock on the road lol. thanks Ron

I asked about mountain driving before here is the reason why

We were on a trip a few years back in a rented 40 food diesel motorhome towng our car going to Florida and did go in the smokie mountains misting outsid a little foggy and a tractor trailer flew by us like a bat out of you know what. About ten minutes later we were coming down a grade slowly and around a curve and there he was on his side slammed into the mountain. He was standing outside his truck on a cell phone. Sorry but I did not feel sorry for him, at the rate of speed he passed us up going down the hill in the misty foggy weather it was bound to happen. Thank god he was not hurt but bet his pride was laying on his side both trainer and truck smashed into the mountain side.

And out here in Phoenis going up to flagstaff and coming down I dont even like parts of camp verde in the car some truckers go by me 80 miles an hour down hill and I wonder all the time is that normal they just know how or what. I just know I would not feel comfortable flying down hills at those speeds.

thanks again for answering me Ron

Some uncomfortable things to ask about and I feel odd asking but still dont know them

That seems to me personally a little out of wack if you can only do laundy twice a month then you have to pack a lot in order to have clothes. I am sure others do not wait that long for sure. How many others on here only do laundry twice a month? And how often do you others do your laundry?

thanks Ron

First of all thank you all for answering a lot of stupid things for a prosepctive adult wanting to enter this field, I appreciate the patience you all have. I also realize this is the best of any sites that does not have a lot of degrading others and other companies but honest replies.

I said in header my fear is mountain driving, sounds stupid but I have always had a fear of heights. I have driven a 40 foot diesel motorhome with a car behind it all over but never liked mountains at all especially coming down steep grades. And seeing all the time the truck run offs withe the barels to run into really freaked me out.

What do you all think is anyone else like me that will admit it scared of heights? And is there any posibility of regional jobs where you are not having to drive in tons of mountains?

Just thought I would ask and throw this out to all you drivers.

thank you again for answering me on all my so many questions I have no idea about even thou most may seem simple or stupit for me not knowing is helping get answers.

From Driver in Training to Rookie Solo Driver

That was really fast compared to what Knight told me I live in Phoenix looking at training with them here is what I got from them for a time frame different than what you did it in, best of luck but here is the email I just got today:

You would be doing a one week orientation and then 7 weeks of in the truck training. So a total of 8 weeks. The orientation we pay you 100 dollars upon completion and the following 7 weeks in training we pay 400 dollars a week. Once you have completed the 8 weeks total of training you will start your 30,000 mile probationary period which should take you around 3months to complete. Once you complete the probationary period you may bring you wife and cat in the truck with you.

Thanks,

Brittany Hinds

Squire West Recruiting Manager

Office: 866-396-4238

Fax: 602-626-6831

Anyone on here have there wife as a rider only full time with them?

Just curious if any of you have your wife with you full time as a rider non driver. This is what my wife and me hope to be able to do with our pet cat. I know some have to do it out there and hopes someone on here actually does. thanks Ron

Are you forced to drive in bad weather requiring snow chains by companies you work for?

I thought it was odd when I got so may replies of the same thing in my email, pcs things happen to all of us but that was a lot of repeated posting for sure.

I just read a scary store about new trainees can anyone reply to this for me

Well it is not me but a trucker on anotehr site claiming any new drivers now will end up if lucky sixty bucks a week. I thought that was out of wack for sure just wanted to post what crap I find reading other sites that is why I rely on this site for accuracy.

thanks Ron

Just wondered do they make you put chains on and drive in bad dangerous weather forcing you to do it? I am curious as I know for one I am not a fan of driving in bad weather even in my car if I do not have to and read some drivers wont drive in it if they require chains and say they just pull over or find alternate routes.

What do you do if you really get sick on the road how do you handle that if you are so sick you cant drive

So what happens if you would get really ill in the truck to the point that you can not drive safely. I know it is not a daily occurance but I just was thinking about this and wondered how the companies look at this and what they do for you if that happens. Say your have a load and in middle of trip you get the flu bug etc. I know it is bound to happen to someone. I just wondered do companies understand this or do the can you or send another truck to finish the load trip. I dont get sick much at all really just wondered about that as it is a possiblility.

thanks Ron

I just read a scary store about new trainees can anyone reply to this for me

I just read on line a driver ranting about new people after training pay and even new solo pay after figuring expenses on the road you will be lucky to have 60 bucks a week left over. No offense but I for one can not pay any bills with that. Is this reality? if not what would one in a true honest scenario being new be able to stash away after expense for living in the truck after all. thank you

Ron

So here you are learning to drive and suddenly go out on the road for weeks on end with a person you do not know at all. How do you handle things no one likes to talk about like what if you have to go to the bathroom say , I know no bathrooms on the trucks unless you are wealthy and buy one of those monster cabs custom made that has that stuff. I just wonder how the heck that works, and brushing teeth, I have a denture not afraid to admit that but still anyone that has them knows what I mean you dont sleep in them. And what about showering so you dont reek like a dead skunk on the side of the road. And what about laundry sooner or later your entire clothes will need washed. Sorry to ask the odd things but these are things someone that never did this before wondered about and would like to know how it all works. I realize when solo you can do things more your way but when with a trainer for weeks it may seem to me a little uncomfortable is why I am asking now.

I am really looking hard at the Knight Squire training probram to get my CDL any imput would be appreciated

Well it me, Ron again and first thanks for all the patients with an adult 58 years old acting like a kid, but I want to do my research as much as possible and appreciate all of your help on here from everyone that answered my questions.

I am looking at wanting to start some sort of training say in February or March now as this year is about shot and gives me time to do a few things needing done prior to that.

From what I have been reading the Knight Squire training program to get my CDL is looking better and better that is if I can even get into it at all.

Since I am in Phoenix, Arizona they also have headquarters here. The squire program seems good for someone like me, they want you to have your CDL permit on your own first before starting thou. But they if given the opportunity will start you from day 1 as an employee and pay you $300 weekly during your CDL training and its a week here then out a week with a trainer on the road then back here a week in town driving then your test all the time getting $300 a week. Then once you get your CDL you go for 4 weeks or so with a Knight traner then solo. It also offers me after 30 days employment to take my wife and pet as they just updated the pet policy. So what do you all think of this program? From all I read you need to get a year under the belt somewhere and then can change if it does not work out and hopefully it will. As I read its all in what you put into any company what you will hopefully get out of it. As I said you read a lot of bad mouthing of all companies but hardly any praises and if they all were so horrible they all would be out of business.

Is it truly hard to learn to drive a manual transmission rig?

HI I have had tons of manual hot rod cars growing up and manual trucks but also know there is no comparison to a four or five speed car or truck to a ten speed or more big rig. I read sort of scary stories of being on a hill with a vehicle right behind you and stalling and failing yor cdl test. I went thru that learning a stick auto but seems more to it in a big rig. Any thoughts on it would be appreciated. thank you Ron

Again a new person question?

Are there companies that use automatic transmission trucks? I thought I read about some rigs that have automatics and curious what companies actually use trucks with automatics. And are you allowed to take your cdl exam in an automatic transmission truck or do you have to take it in a manual transmission truck? thank you Ron

Are there any company paid training that trains in Phoenix Az Where I can stay in my home during training?

Just curious since I know phoenix is a big hub on I10 from what I see do any of you know is there any companies that train right here in Phoenix where I can stay home for the cdl training part? I realize I have to go out with a trainer after getting the cdl. I also as stated need to find one that will allow pets and spouse with me when I go solo. I thought some of you that are familiar with the companies may now what ones actually train right here in Phoenix.

Looking investigating a career how do you decide between dry and refrigerated I dont want flat or tanker I know that much

Well how do you make a good decision on between going for a company with dry freight or refrigerated? I dont think I want to do flat bed or tanker so that sort of leaves these two. Also are there larger companies that run the lower half only of the country? Also thanks for the great answers you have delivered in this forum already for a new person looking into a late career change.

Ron