Profile For Bre The Newbie

Bre The Newbie 's Info

CA

Rookie Solo Driver

11 months ago

Bre The Newbie 's Bio

After all the hardwork, tears, restless nights and grinding gears, i can officially join the ranks of all my fellow truck drivers. Thank God i have been upgraded to rookie solo. I am ready to begin this new chapter of my life.

Posted:  4 weeks, 1 day ago

I Ran a red light but no ticket. Who will hire me?

My ex teammate just went through this. At Swift a certain number of safety points generates a notice and after so many accumulated points you go up for review. My ex teammate was also not involved in the safety meeting it was held without him overall he was terminated for the red light. Trying to get a job with a mega carrier is going to be hard because of insurance purposes however look into smaller companies. He just got hired with one although it had to be approved by the head of safety at his new company they still hired him. So it isnt too much a career killer, it's just going to be an uphill battle but all you can do is try and do better. Best of Luck to you.

Posted:  4 weeks, 1 day ago

Does OTR actually mean OTR

Hello Everyone!

My fiance and I are new to the truck driving industry. He is the driver and I am the passenger. We put all of our belongings into storage and hit the road in hopes of seeing the country; however, it hasn't really worked out that way. Dispatch seems to keep us going through the same couple of states that surround our home state. Is it possible that we just have bad luck and those are the only loads available at the time that he is on board? Is there anything we can do to increase his chances of getting more of a variety of locations? Is it possible they have him mistaken for a regional driver? He hasn't mentioned anything to dispatch because he doesn't want to seem ungrateful or picky. Obviously if the wheels aren't turning he's not earning, so we'll take what's given, but this is not what we had in mind when he decided to become an OTR truck driver. It certainly isn't what I had in mind either when I quit my job and decided to come with him. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I would follow the advice of others who stated to ask dispatch for a load going to where ever you guys are trying to get to. I was OTR for Swift Refrigerated and sometimes they do keep keep you in a comfort zone (region closest to your home). I live in california so I ran CA,ID,UT,WA,OR alot but trust me once I went team and told my dm I was ok with going a lil further east, I hardly ever seen the west coast again until I came home. Anyways best of luck to you guys and safe travels.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Newbie Here

Congratulations

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Reefers

Im apart of the refrigerated division at my company and it's a sound you get use to overtime. It's quite embarrassing to admit this but one night at a rest stop I was sleep and didnt hear the reefer running. I couldnt remember what load I had and as rookie driver my heart starts racing thinking omg how long has the reefer been off? will the load get rejected? will I be fired? etc. I jumped up put on my warm clothes and ran outside to check the reefer. One thing I forgot. My company needed help with a dry load that day, and I had a dry van not a reefer. I felt so stupid I had a hard time falling back asleep. I guess you can say sometimes drivers depend on hearing that noise to sleep. I'm one of them lol.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

New Mentor

Congrats...and welcome to the Swift Team. When I was in training I had the same mentor but we went from a volvo to a kenworth and maybe it's me but the kenworth feels like it has more pulling power through the mountains (or I could just have a biased opinion since our volvo kept breaking down). Anyway congrats again and be safe out there.

Posted:  2 months, 4 weeks ago

Update

Congrats Cece! I hope you some how some way you can get a trainer sooner than that. Also I agree with Pacific Pearl. Try going to your local truck stop and watching the drivers maneuver and set up for backing. Also if you know anybody who had a truck that can let you practice driving and backing that would be great. I am happy that you made it through. I cant wait to hear about your adventures in trucking!

Posted:  2 months, 4 weeks ago

Well, here I go again...

Congratulations and safe travels!

Posted:  2 months, 4 weeks ago

Passed my CDL test!

Congratulations! Whatever company you decide to go to I wish you nothing but the best and safe travels.

Posted:  3 months ago

Females attracted to trucking (news story)

I must disagree with you, Bre! I have transported loads of really useful things in my trailers over the past few years. Useful items I could really see myself using: Zero-turn mowers, John Deere UTV's, Tractor Supply loads, literally tons of pet food, racks of clothing, sporting gear, canning jars, guns, and even two loads of ammo.

I could have become highly attached to those needful things.

rofl-3.gifrofl-3.gif

Since you put it that way yeah there are quite a few loads I could have got attached to lol..Thanks for the laugh!

Posted:  3 months ago

Females attracted to trucking (news story)

Thanks for sharing. It's nice to see more and more drivers in general joining this field. Before truck driving, I was a trained emt, then I did non emergency transport, and after I worked as a driver for a senior nursing facility. I got attached to alot of patients, and seen alot of them die and that took a toll on me.With trucking you cant get attached to freight and I happy that I made this decision. Hopefully more and more people(male and female) would get inspired to drive trucks.

Posted:  3 months ago

PRIME INC TNT Student in need of new trainer...

I hope everything works out for you. I'm not at prime but I can tell you my time with my mentor was tough. I got through it the best I can. At this point you really need proof to back up what your saying. I'm sorry your having a hard time. Try to stick it out if you can and if not dont be discouraged, find a way to keep rollin. This may or may not help but when my mentor was being difficult I just did my job and gave him the silent treatment unless we absolutely had to communicate about something other than that i was quiet, no small talk or nothing, and finally he changed his ways. Again I wish you the best and be careful.

Posted:  3 months ago

Applying to Swift, Question

Hey George..I completely agree with G-Town be Honest and Do Not Lie. The question ask "If YOU ever used an Illegal Substance? If you have I would still disclose it. I had a lady that was in the academy with me at swift tell them about her substance use years ago after she had back surgery. She was still allowed to stay but she left on her own to find another training program. Dont be discouraged but be honest. Please dont rely on a recruiters word. They are there to recruit. There are decent ones who will be honest and upfront and some not so much. I wish you the best and good luck.

Posted:  3 months ago

You and the equipment... Don't be that guy!

I got frustrated when I had to pick up a trailer from an after hours drop yard that was dropped low( I assume and i could be wrong but the driver used airbag dump and lowered thelanding gear just a little that's why it was so low)..It was not fun trying to crank up a loaded trailer..41000lbs meat load in Nebraska..in order to back under it

I too call in trailer repairs..also I did not know that upon pickup of a preloaded trailer at a customer because I run reefer..if it is not running properly..im not suppose accept the load or move the trailer..just little things I learn each day.

That's common Bre...every week I deal with this at least once...

You could have reversed the same process by dumping your air bag suspension, locking your differential (so in essence you have all the drive-wheels working for you, thus spreading the torque) and creeping under the front lip of the trailer with the 5th-wheel blades. Once under, reintroduce the air into the suspension bags before engaging the kingpin, enabling the truck to-do the heavy lifting for you. At the very least reduces some of the cranking.

By the way... "major kudos" on checking the height BEFORE attempting to get under it. If you were to "skewer" the front of the trailer. it's an easily avoided preventable...

Great job!

Thanks G-Town! That is awesome Information to know. I actually wrote that down in my notebook. Unfortunately I have a 2020 freightliner cascadia, in which I have the differential lock but no button for air bag dump, so it's always going to be a struggle for me. Thanks Again !

Posted:  3 months ago

You and the equipment... Don't be that guy!

Posted:  3 months ago

Serious Backing Skills Needed Here

Bre says:

I am truely amazed..and to think I had a rookie breakdown moment having to do a drop off in Downtown LA where i had to blind side back off a two lane street into a receiver with two small docks that dipped underground. This is why I love this Forum. When I think things are bad I can always come here for an attitude adjustment, just by looking at what you guys go through on daily basis. This is the reality of Trucking. Thanks for Sharing!

It just takes time and you'll look back at some of the places you stressed about and think "what the heck, that place looks easy!" Backing takes quite a while to master and even then there are days you'll struggle. As long as you get it in without hitting anything it's a success. Not to get off topic too much, but how are you enjoying and adjusting to the OTR lifestyle?if I'm not mistaken you're about 3 months solo right?

Thanks for the advice and thanks for asking. Yes I am actually 4 months solo now. Im adjusting quite well. Definitely was among those that thought I would be making about $100,000 my first year(just exaggerating lol) but that's not the reality of it. Especially being a citizen of the great state of California who just loves to tax the people for any and everything, its crucial that I run good miles each week in order to live comfortably. No complaints though. I enjoy what I do.

Posted:  3 months ago

Serious Backing Skills Needed Here

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Damn deers...

Well this just happened to me on the 8th. I wish the deer that decided to run out on the highway in my case just hit the side of my truck. Glad your ok!

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

Who's going swift

Congrats on going to Swift. I graduated from Fontana and been solo for about 3 months now. You would love the Utah Terminal. In fact I love that terminal better than the HQ in Phoenix. I wish you all the best and I cant wait to hear about your progress.

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

(News Item) - Largest ELD Provider CRASHES - Forcing Drivers Onto Paper Logs - Driver's for Swift and Schneider are just some of the drivers affected.

I am a Swift Driver and this is happening to me right now. A bit frustrating but they are working as fast as they can to get it back working properly.

Posted:  5 months ago

Toughest day on the road?

Bre, are you doing Dollar Store or similar account as a new driver?

No accounts. Im just Reefer OTR.