Profile For Jim S.

Jim S.'s Info

5 months, 3 weeks ago

Jim S.'s Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Jim S.'s Photo Gallery

Posted:  6 days, 20 hours ago

Made a costly mistake

Typically, with something like what you described, nothing happens. The slight possibility that an officer wants to scrutinize your logs sometime in the next eight days could cause you some anxiety, but it's doubtful he's gonna hit you for such a slight infraction. It's also possible that some unknown person in the logs department at your company may give you a call wanting to know what happened, but even that is unlikely in the scenario you described.

After eight days has passed, it won't be available for the officer to see. Here's some incidental information others should know. It's important for you to understand how to show the officer a "roadside view" of your electronic logs. When I put my ELD system onto "roadside view" it shows the logs graph in a grey-scale" view. In other words it's not in color. Violations are not showing up in that glaring red color. It's much more tedious for the officer to discover a slight variation of the rules in that screen shot view. It also (at least on ours) locks the officer out of other areas in your ELD that he doesn't necessarily have the right to be viewing during an inspection.

Thanks for the tip.

Posted:  6 days, 23 hours ago

Made a costly mistake

What happens when you get a HOS violation? I got one last week for going over my 14. It happened five miles from where I was going to park. I then switched to PC to go park.

Posted:  6 days, 23 hours ago

Made a costly mistake

If you are driving an automatic, it might help to put it in manual mode and keep it in first gear for driving slow.

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

CB tips

Make sure that your SWR reading is not going over 2.0 during transmission. It could fry your transistor finals. The Cascadia antenna is probably already tuned to keep SWR low.

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

Personal conveyance

Thanks for the response guys. Do you also have to be uncoupled?

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

Personal conveyance

May I use personal conveyance to drive my tractor across the terminal to maintenance?

Posted:  2 weeks, 4 days ago

Swift 2017 Cascadia inverter size

Just go in to the shop and ask the service counter. They can pull up your truck and see what they installed.

Big T, I verified that it is a 1800 watt. I was relieved to know that I may run two appliances at once. So far, I have a fridge, micro, and toaster oven. I plan on purchasing an Instant Pot, or similar pressure cooker. With all of that, I shouldn't go hungry.

Posted:  2 weeks, 4 days ago

Swift 2017 Cascadia inverter size

Congrats on getting your own truck! You'll still have a few problems to solve, now that you are truly on your own. Here's my first solo week with Swift: My First Week Adventure As A Swift Driver

How do you hook into the truck's electrical system? Swift will not allow you to use any direct wiring, only the 12v "cigarette lighter" connection.

If you need one for a CPAP machine, they will install one. For that talk to your DM.

Thanks Errol V, that is quite some adventure for your first week. I am hoping my first week is not as adventurous. My first load tomorrow is, to pick up a trailer from the Swift terminal in Jurupa and drive it a few miles to a Walmart distribution center, then back to the terminal loaded for what my DL is calling a Walmart surge. I will probably get a t-call to Phoenix after that. My truck has a 1800 watt inverter with two 110v double outlets. It also has four 12v outlets, two on the dash and two in the sleeper. I purchased a fridge, microwave, and toaster oven. All will plug into the 110 outlets.

Posted:  2 weeks, 5 days ago

Swift 2017 Cascadia inverter size

I upgraded to solo today at Swift, and I am assigned to a 2017 Cascadia. I am trying to figure out what size the inverter is for appliance use. I couldn't see any number on the inverter. It is a Cooper Bussmann. Dimensions are aprox. 8w x 4h x 18d. I will try to upload a photo. When I check online for a Cooper Bussmann of similar dimensions, it is a 1000w. It that is what mine is, that means I can't run two appliances at the same time.

0849053001569380136.jpg

Posted:  2 weeks, 5 days ago

Swift 2017 Cascadia inverter size

Posted:  2 weeks, 6 days ago

The Highway Bottleneck Awards, 2019

I am surprised that the I-105 merge into the I-605 in Los Angeles is not listed. This is where the I-105 ends, and where vehicles must merge onto the I-605. It is always congested, no matter what time of the day. Also, where the I-215 merges onto the 60 FWY in Riverside for about five miles before splitting off again.

Posted:  2 weeks, 6 days ago

Microwave size?

I upgraded to solo today and will get my truck Wednesday. I don't know which truck yet, but would like to pre purchase a microwave. Is there a size that should fit any truck? I am thinking a 0.7 cf should fit all. Do you think maybe a 1.0 cf would?

Posted:  3 weeks ago

New (old) truck

Drew, I've never had a truck with Opti-Idle. I can see how it could be frustrating. Hopefully you'll get accustomed to it. At least it's a fairly new ride. It looks really nice - Congratulations!

The Opti - idle will shut off when outside temp is about 75, but the cab temp might 85 degrees. Does anyone know if Freightliner is the only truck that Swift has with Opti - idle? If so, another reason to hate Freightliner. I will upgrade this week, and am hoping I will have a choice for something without Opti - idle.

Posted:  3 weeks, 3 days ago

Tools needed?

Ok so I’m the rookie. What the heck are y’all pulling nails out off? With reefer I keep a little tiny screwdriver to pop air seals in with.

I think the floor of the trailer.

Posted:  3 weeks, 3 days ago

Tools needed?

Jim, after almost seven years out here, I can tell you what I've used the most.

Hammer

Flash light

Wire cutters/strippers

Electrical connectors

It's not going to be common for you to turn any wrenches on your truck. You'll have scheduled maintenance visits at your terminal where the mechanics will make sure everything is up to speed. The most common things I end up doing myself are replacing lights and/or mudflaps on trailers. Other than that I've had very little need for tools.

I have wire cutters, channel locks, and vice grips on my list. Also electrical and duct tape, bungees and zip ties. Do you use a carpenters hammer or one of those mechanical hammer around two pounds? Maybe a rubber mallet when a hammer is too much? Maybe I will get combo wrench set if it goes on sale.

Posted:  3 weeks, 3 days ago

Sleeper floor clutter?

Will DOT give a driver a hit for storing non rollable things such as boxes or. Refrigerator on sleeper berth floor? What about n ice chest with one set of wheels if they are chocked?

Posted:  3 weeks, 3 days ago

Tools needed?

Guys, I am upgrading in a few days and am wondering which tools I should have on my truck. I am thinking a socket wrench and combination wrench set, both metric and American. A hammer, a pry bar, and flashlight. And of course, extra fuses and light bulbs. Anything else I should have?

Posted:  1 month ago

Jake Brake?

Yes that is stab braking. Only way you are going to over heat your brakes or lose air is if you stay on the brakes. Stab braking allows you to use the service brakes without overheating them if you do it correctly. I run a lot of the mountains out west in the winter and have never had an issue.

Yes there is a manual option on the end of the lever to the right of the steering column. Push it in for manual.

0039817001567896145.jpg

Thanks Big T, I'll will try manual override and stab braking. I have been lucky so far, and haven't had to drive in a lot of rain. I should familiarize myself with the manual override and stab braking. When I go solo in a couple of weeks, there might be a chance that some early snow might occur on my route. So, I really need to get it right before I solo.

Posted:  1 month ago

Update

Hey Jim! Thank you for responding. Lol I have had some ice cream but not too much. 😅 I have yet to speak with a Swift Recruiter but I do plan on it. How has your experience been so far? It's funny you say that, Schneider has not been pushing a Dollar account more Team Driver. Werner is pushing the Dollar accounts but I have been overlooking that. It's not the companies fault the recruiter is pushing that when I have expressed I dont want it. I'm open to most Mega Carriers.

Don’t they give ice cream after tonsil surgery? You could eat much ice cream. Good to hear about your recovery. I am mentoring with Swift right now. One of the things that was a factor in my decision was tuition reimbursement, which Swift offers. I also wanted a big company with many divisions and opportunities. Werner and Knight were also high on my list. Schneider sent a recruiter to my school, but they really seem to push those Dollar accounts on new grads, which are driver unload on multiple stops. Hope that helps.

Cecelia, so far it's going good. I am into my third week of mentoring. Most of my driving is at night, which is hard for me. I am more of a start things at 0400 am type of guy. Most of my driving has been on freeways. I do wish that I had more of a variety with some two lane hwy. driving, which I will probably need in the future. I am driving in the Southwest, so I am getting a lot of practice with steep downgrades and upgrades. There are some construction zones on my route where the lanes are narrowed down to one lane in each direction, and where no oversized vehicles are allowed. So, some nerve wrecking driving, but good practice.

When I was in CDL school and doing my research, it was Werner that seem to be pushing team driving, and Schneider the Dollar accounts. The Werner website was really pushing team driving, and I wasn't even sure if they offered solo driving. I had to verify with the recruiter that Werner offered solo routes. I guess each region has different needs. I believe that CRST is only team driving. Knight was also on my short list and seems like a good company. There are other carriers that are big, but not as big as the megas, that might be concentrated in certain areas, but have routes outside of those areas. Good luck, and keep us posted.

Posted:  1 month ago

Jake Brake?

These guys are right. Wet roads have less traction available. The problem with engine retarders ("Jakes") is they only work to slow down the drive axles. The other parts of your truck only slow with the brakes. So if there's a difference in traction between the axles, you're just asking for a jacknife.

Here's a principle to keep in mind on wet/slippery downhills: it's harder and even dangerous to slow down, so be careful about speeding up.

I personally play this mind game: I imagine what my maximum safe speed should be, then start out too slow. I try to manage my speed so I'm finally at my imaginary maximum speed at the bottom of the grade.

Finally, if you are going "too slow" for other trucks and they keep passing you, let 'em. First, better safe than crashed. And the time "lost" by going too slow won't add more than a minute to your total drive time. It's insignificant in the bigger scheme of things.

I don't plan on getting in a hurry a risking not making my most important stop. I have had several trucks pass me, then get off on the next exit just a mile or two down the hwy.