Profile For Jim S.

Jim S.'s Info

7 months, 3 weeks ago

Jim S.'s Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Jim S.'s Photo Gallery

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

5:45 hours gained

Thanks for all of the input guys and helping me understand recaps. I was able to use recap hours to run a load that got me home.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

5:45 hours gained

Ugh. You are one of THOSE guys that drives 55 in Cali... lol.

So am I.

Since you're not the one paying my tickets for obeying the posted traffic control device, what's your point?

Not only a speeding ticket, but also give CA authorities itching to give you a level 1 and excuse to give you one. And, receive safety violations from your company.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

5:45 hours gained

Jim where are you coming from and when are the delivery and pu appts?

Nice meeting you by the way.

Big T, I made a delivery in Phoenix, then used the remaining hours of my 70 and recap hours to pick up a load in Yuma, AZ and deliver to Santa Fe Springs, CA which got me home. Nice meeting you. Hopefully, I will be seeing you at the terminal, and without wildfire smoke chocking both of us.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

5:45 hours gained

My Quallcom HOS shows 6:53 hours left on my seventy. I will use about three of that today for a delivery locally. I am currently in sleeper with 14 left on 14 and 11 on 11. It shows 5:45 to be gained. When do I gain those hours? My company offered a 350 mile load to get me home. I calculated that would take 9-10 hours, load, scale, drive CA 55mph, unload, then drive to terminal. Is there any way this would work? I thought about PC from receiver to terminal, but that my take over one hour in LA area.

Posted:  2 months ago

Made a costly mistake

Typically, with something like what you described, nothing happens. The slight possibility that an officer wants to scrutinize your logs sometime in the next eight days could cause you some anxiety, but it's doubtful he's gonna hit you for such a slight infraction. It's also possible that some unknown person in the logs department at your company may give you a call wanting to know what happened, but even that is unlikely in the scenario you described.

After eight days has passed, it won't be available for the officer to see. Here's some incidental information others should know. It's important for you to understand how to show the officer a "roadside view" of your electronic logs. When I put my ELD system onto "roadside view" it shows the logs graph in a grey-scale" view. In other words it's not in color. Violations are not showing up in that glaring red color. It's much more tedious for the officer to discover a slight variation of the rules in that screen shot view. It also (at least on ours) locks the officer out of other areas in your ELD that he doesn't necessarily have the right to be viewing during an inspection.

Thanks for the tip.

Posted:  2 months ago

Made a costly mistake

What happens when you get a HOS violation? I got one last week for going over my 14. It happened five miles from where I was going to park. I then switched to PC to go park.

Posted:  2 months ago

Made a costly mistake

If you are driving an automatic, it might help to put it in manual mode and keep it in first gear for driving slow.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

CB tips

Make sure that your SWR reading is not going over 2.0 during transmission. It could fry your transistor finals. The Cascadia antenna is probably already tuned to keep SWR low.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Personal conveyance

Thanks for the response guys. Do you also have to be uncoupled?

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Personal conveyance

May I use personal conveyance to drive my tractor across the terminal to maintenance?

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Swift 2017 Cascadia inverter size

Just go in to the shop and ask the service counter. They can pull up your truck and see what they installed.

Big T, I verified that it is a 1800 watt. I was relieved to know that I may run two appliances at once. So far, I have a fridge, micro, and toaster oven. I plan on purchasing an Instant Pot, or similar pressure cooker. With all of that, I shouldn't go hungry.

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Swift 2017 Cascadia inverter size

Congrats on getting your own truck! You'll still have a few problems to solve, now that you are truly on your own. Here's my first solo week with Swift: My First Week Adventure As A Swift Driver

How do you hook into the truck's electrical system? Swift will not allow you to use any direct wiring, only the 12v "cigarette lighter" connection.

If you need one for a CPAP machine, they will install one. For that talk to your DM.

Thanks Errol V, that is quite some adventure for your first week. I am hoping my first week is not as adventurous. My first load tomorrow is, to pick up a trailer from the Swift terminal in Jurupa and drive it a few miles to a Walmart distribution center, then back to the terminal loaded for what my DL is calling a Walmart surge. I will probably get a t-call to Phoenix after that. My truck has a 1800 watt inverter with two 110v double outlets. It also has four 12v outlets, two on the dash and two in the sleeper. I purchased a fridge, microwave, and toaster oven. All will plug into the 110 outlets.

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Swift 2017 Cascadia inverter size

I upgraded to solo today at Swift, and I am assigned to a 2017 Cascadia. I am trying to figure out what size the inverter is for appliance use. I couldn't see any number on the inverter. It is a Cooper Bussmann. Dimensions are aprox. 8w x 4h x 18d. I will try to upload a photo. When I check online for a Cooper Bussmann of similar dimensions, it is a 1000w. It that is what mine is, that means I can't run two appliances at the same time.

0849053001569380136.jpg

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Swift 2017 Cascadia inverter size

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

The Highway Bottleneck Awards, 2019

I am surprised that the I-105 merge into the I-605 in Los Angeles is not listed. This is where the I-105 ends, and where vehicles must merge onto the I-605. It is always congested, no matter what time of the day. Also, where the I-215 merges onto the 60 FWY in Riverside for about five miles before splitting off again.

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Microwave size?

I upgraded to solo today and will get my truck Wednesday. I don't know which truck yet, but would like to pre purchase a microwave. Is there a size that should fit any truck? I am thinking a 0.7 cf should fit all. Do you think maybe a 1.0 cf would?

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

New (old) truck

Drew, I've never had a truck with Opti-Idle. I can see how it could be frustrating. Hopefully you'll get accustomed to it. At least it's a fairly new ride. It looks really nice - Congratulations!

The Opti - idle will shut off when outside temp is about 75, but the cab temp might 85 degrees. Does anyone know if Freightliner is the only truck that Swift has with Opti - idle? If so, another reason to hate Freightliner. I will upgrade this week, and am hoping I will have a choice for something without Opti - idle.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Tools needed?

Ok so I’m the rookie. What the heck are y’all pulling nails out off? With reefer I keep a little tiny screwdriver to pop air seals in with.

I think the floor of the trailer.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Tools needed?

Jim, after almost seven years out here, I can tell you what I've used the most.

Hammer

Flash light

Wire cutters/strippers

Electrical connectors

It's not going to be common for you to turn any wrenches on your truck. You'll have scheduled maintenance visits at your terminal where the mechanics will make sure everything is up to speed. The most common things I end up doing myself are replacing lights and/or mudflaps on trailers. Other than that I've had very little need for tools.

I have wire cutters, channel locks, and vice grips on my list. Also electrical and duct tape, bungees and zip ties. Do you use a carpenters hammer or one of those mechanical hammer around two pounds? Maybe a rubber mallet when a hammer is too much? Maybe I will get combo wrench set if it goes on sale.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Sleeper floor clutter?

Will DOT give a driver a hit for storing non rollable things such as boxes or. Refrigerator on sleeper berth floor? What about n ice chest with one set of wheels if they are chocked?