Profile For Wilde

Wilde's Info

Wichita falls, TX

Rookie Solo Driver

1 year, 2 months ago

Wilde's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Wilde's Photo Gallery

Posted:  9 months, 1 week ago

100 air mile HOS change??

Iv been studying like crazy to get a good understanding of HOS. Highroad training has been a huge help. Now Ive been thrown a curve ball and would like some input from you guys about it.

The company ive been with for 2 months now has a route to and from the dfw area that i must make sometimes. My boss says that the 100 air mile rule has been extended to 150 air miles allowing us to skip the 30min DOT break. I have done several searches on google but everything i find states the 150 is only for non cdl drivers and the shorthaul exception is 100 air miles. Does anyone here know of any changes to this 100 air mile rule?

Posted:  9 months, 1 week ago

My Truck Has Been Sold...What!?

I guess that sounded a bit creepy.. just know i remembered you saying that because im a bit of a slayer fan myself.

Posted:  9 months, 3 weeks ago

My Truck Has Been Sold...What!?

Nice truck brother. So how does your Slayer sound on the stereo??

Posted:  9 months, 3 weeks ago

Dry van securement

Thanks for the reply Joseph. Yeah not being able to see in my trailer at all would make me sick with worry. So far I've only had one sealed load and I was able to put it on myself after doing some securing.

Posted:  9 months, 3 weeks ago

Dry van securement

So I'm still a little confused on dot rules on securement in a dry van. I mean, is the frame of the van really strong enough to hold that much weight because it's in a cradle?

Posted:  9 months, 3 weeks ago

Dry van securement

I enjoy pulling flatbed. I love the challenge of it and for some reason just enjoy my workday more when doing that. Unfortunately the small company I'm with does mostly dry van so I haven't been able to do it as much as I'd like. I'm hooked to a stepdeck right now though heading to Denver and life is good.

Posted:  9 months, 3 weeks ago

Dry van securement

Not nailed. Strapped to pallets. Yeah I feel like it should be flatbed only. We only haul them a few hundred miles so I guess my company decided it's easier than tarping. So dry van must have same securement as flatbed correct? In order to be safe and legal I will just have to use 2 straps each then.

Posted:  9 months, 3 weeks ago

Dry van securement

Oops forgot pics

0671889001568685609.jpg0930612001568685642.jpg

Posted:  9 months, 3 weeks ago

Dry van securement

We haul these fluidends for halliburton quite often. No big deal properly securing them on a flatbed. But the straps that we use in a dry van have a much lower wll than the 5k lb winch straps used on flatbeds. Typically 1400 lbs or so. And I have no idea what the walls those straps attach to are rated at but they sure do feel weak to me when you start ratcheting the straps down. So does dry van require the same wll of securement as a flatbed? I would think so but how does one achieve that in a dry van?? The load in these pics didn't move on me much but it just doesn't seem safe to me. Those things weigh over 3k each. One strap each is just shy of 50% of wll. So I'm guessing they really need two each to be legal but that would mean 26 straps in all! Ideas anyone?

Posted:  10 months, 4 weeks ago

Flatbed Variety

Made my first solo run today. 42k lbs of bar stock to halliburton in carrollton, tx

nothing fancy but boy it sure made me happy!

0976922001565896544.jpg

this load was already secured at our yard but i think i should build a bulkhead in front next time... what do you guys think??

Posted:  10 months, 4 weeks ago

Getting started in trucking with felonies

Got to go on my first flatbed run today!

so i went out with another driver today to get some flatbed training. we picked up this little load in waco and i drove back to wichita falls with it. so heres my first ever flatbed load. yeah i know its tiny, but you know what? it still paid the same as if it was a full trailer. im so freakin stoked... cant wait to get up in the morning and see whats next.

0930473001565831238.jpg0363816001565831307.jpg

Posted:  11 months ago

Getting started in trucking with felonies

Finally getting time to post an update:

i started with a local company on august 8th. its fairly small, around thirty trucks i believe and they do a little bit of everything. they dont typically train people but agreed to put me with another driver for a week or two before going solo. the route they started training me on is driving from here to dallas/ft worth to three different hubs with pick ups all along the way. supposedly its the most stressful position they have and i guess its what you call a p&d run. it is very fast paced and i was pretty overwhelmed at first but after only my third day today i feel like im learning it pretty quick. pulling a 53' trailer through dallas traffic and backing up to docks all day long has certainly been a learning experience. probably not the safest way to start out but if i can handle that, then whatever they put me on next should only get better. they were needing help with flatbed when i interviewed and im hoping to wind up there. ill let you guys know how it turns out. i really appreciate they advice and encouragement, thanks to all.

m wilde

Posted:  11 months, 1 week ago

Flatbed Variety

Hey guys, this thread is awesome, definitely my all-time favorite. i started on page one two days ago and im reading every word of it. im halfway through but just wanted to thank pat for starting it and thanks to everyone else for all the contributions... great source of knowledge for what im about to be doing real soon.

Posted:  11 months, 2 weeks ago

Getting started in trucking with felonies

Quick update.

the offer to drive for $800 a week salary fell through. he said my history was fine, no problems and he would have loved to hire me. however the insurance company decided to total the truck because the frame was bent and hes going to wait until after recovery from surgery (12-14 mo.) before buying a new one.

the guy wanting me to drive as 1099 but who's company then turned me down texted me again yesterday. now he says he has a new flatbed account hauling construction equiptment. same pay, same terms. i had to ask if this would not be through the same company that turned me down. he said no. ...seriously? i had a bad feeling before, now there's no way i'll touch that!

still plenty of options left and probably going to accept invite to western express. the recruiter i talked to 3 weeks ago left me a voice mail the other day asking if im still interested. im waiting to see what happens with some other possibilities but if the invite is still open when i call WE back then i will accept.

not sure if anyone is following this, but i do plan on posting more as it plays out.

wilde

Posted:  11 months, 2 weeks ago

Getting started in trucking with felonies

Thanks everyone for your replies.

first, old school, Yeah i know my options are very limited but since i will be sticking it out for a year at least, i wanna feel like i made the best decision i could. if i end up at WE's orientation i'll heed your words and be on my best behavior, you can believe that. I figured you'd be hesitant to answer that question about pay but you gave me your honest opinion and thats exactly what i was looking for.

cornelius, you sound like you really know what your talking about. as g-town stated later on, thats a lot of detail to take in but i think i follow most of it and since im a technical kind of guy i must say thank you for sharing it. if im understanding you correctly, and what your saying is true, it sounds like getting me on their insurance wont be the problem, if i have one. so that reinforces what OS said about me presenting myself as professionally as possible the whole time im in orientation and training especially. btw, not sure what happened between you and the moderator but i hope you will stick around. if the things you said are factual then i believe they are ultimately very welcome here.

b dawg, i will look into roadtex. im looking for solo not team but ill check them out and share what they have to say in my next post. thanks

some things to update everyone on, i mentioned in an earlier post about an offer to haul frac sand in new mexico for an owner operator on a cash basis. i talked to him yesterday and he said his company did not want to risk me having issues with not getting back in time for parole. it was supposed to be 3 weeks out and off for 1 week, very ideal i would think for getting my travel permits for parole as they are good for 30 days but could be renewed a little earlier. but i certainly understand their concern and decision for not wanting the risk. (i think its worth noting he said nothing about a problem with insurance)

i also had another call in response to my ad on craigslist. the owner of a two truck company in oklahoma said he is looking for a driver to take over driving his truck. he was injured pretty bad a month ago when another truck hit the back of his trailer and is unable to drive it himself now. he is very understanding of my history, lack of experience and is willing to ride with me and train me for a few months until hes comfortable i can handle it on my own. he is offering $800 a week salary and says he will guarantee that even if the truck is down for repairs. the more i think about it, that steady $800 is not a bad deal at all for someone in my situation. most importantly i would be getting otr flatbed experience. he took my info and a recent mvr i have and is supposed to get back to me in a few days. now as for insurance, this guy said he didnt see that as a problem.

i hope im not boring you guys with too many details but i want to give everyone the whole story. I will post again soon. thanks to everyone for the replies and opinions, they are greatly appreciated!

stay safe, m. wilde

Posted:  11 months, 3 weeks ago

Eagle Rider for Motorcycle Rentals

Rob, this is great news for me as well. thanks bud.

turtle, awesome pic man. way to go!

Posted:  11 months, 3 weeks ago

Any first year Schneider drivers out there?

What I see here (and don't see apparently due to vulgar language) is a classic example of why I like this forum. The unabashed, straight to the point advice that makes sense. I feel he was told exactly what would help his career the most. Too bad he couldn't look past his emotions to see the point.

Posted:  11 months, 3 weeks ago

Getting started in trucking with felonies

Thanks All for the replies.

Old School, I was hoping you would have time to throw some advice my way as I've read about your history with W.E. I also feel like you don't sugar coat things so if you read where I had 11 felonies total and still think I have a shot with them, it will carry some weight with my decision. I'm going to see what else comes up this week before I commit to anything and I'll post anything I think is noteworthy. I'd appreciate your rough estimate on (min, max) weekly pay I could expect the first six months at W.E. if you don't mind. Don't get me wrong, I know the experience alone that I would gain if I could make it through a year with them could be priceless... but im just curious what I might expect.

Thanks again everyone

Posted:  11 months, 3 weeks ago

Getting started in trucking with felonies

Rob, Susan, Thanks for your input. It eases my mind a little and encourages me some as well.

Yes the company in Nashville is Western Express. It was back around July 4th that I applied and talked to their recruiter. As soon as he asked when I could come to Nashville for orientation I let him know it would be closer to the end of the month before I would actually be ready. He said to get back to him as soon as I'm ready to go. If I remember correctly, he had my application to review for about 24 hrs before that last conversation, so I assume he did have time to do the initial BG check or whatever they do prior to an invite.

From your advice and what I've found in older threads on this topic, the best thing I can do is be completely up front on my app and voice my greatest concerns during the phone conversation. Then if I get the invite, just go for it and discuss what comes up after that as calmly and professionally as I can.

Its just that my past seems so bad when I actually start describing it in detail. I went to prison for drugs in 2004 and again this last time in 2011 and both times I had multiple drug charges that were ran concurrently in a plea agreement. It makes for 11 felonies total.

I am determined to make this career happen even though I know it will be even tougher for me starting out. Again, I appreciate everyone's opinions, whether I like them or not, I welcome them all.

I have a lot of respect and appreciation for the truth and purpose of this forum so if I'm able, I plan to post constant, truthful updates on the ups and downs of my journey as it plays out. I'm sure I will face many obstacles and likely make plenty of mistakes along the way but I will not be giving up. I would like to think maybe someone in a similar situation as mine could benefit from reading about it.

Thanks

Posted:  11 months, 3 weeks ago

Getting started in trucking with felonies

I've been serious about job searching and turning in applications for about 3 weeks now and I've had several offers from people who say they're okay with my criminal history, even parole, so long as my application & mvr get approved. (from what I've gathered reading on this forum that pretty much means if their insurance will accept me)

So far only one company, small and here in Texas has actually reviewed my app and ran my mvr and said "yes we will hire you when can you start?" The big company in Nashville seemed more like the recruiter was just saying my app checked out okay just to get me to come to orientation.

I will be available to start Aug 1st. I have some family business we are dealing with this month. Also, my boss had a really hard time finding a cdl driver to actually show up to replace me so I'm staying well past my 2 week (2 month really) notice to help him out.

I know I have to take whatever chance I'm given at this point but is there any way to make sure I'm approved for a company's insurance before actually going to orientation? I realize nothing is for sure in this world but I would greatly appreciate any advice on the best way to minimize driving all the way to orientation and being turned down.

Thanks in advance as I would appreciate anyone's opinion on my situation.