Comments By Troy V.

https://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/q676/Troy_Vogel/MyTruck_zps87f3969e.jpg avatar
  • Troy V.
  • 6 years ago
  • Comments:

Things can turn badly so fast!

Wow man. Glad it all turned out ok...well doesnt sound like your pants made it but glad your ok lol.

Exciting News!

Cold weather gremlins.....they didn't used to be such a problem,,,but with the onset of electronic sensors on everything...I think that the cold weather problems stem from them. Even our 1993 Dodge diesel pickup has a cold weather gremlin !! when it gets below 35-40, the abs brakes don't work...glad we have hydraulic backups !!! So pray for warm weather...cuz the mechanics can drive themselves crazy chasin' gremlins...

Yeah its still not done. Making no money this way. What a first week this has been. Here I was thinking I was gonna get a POS truck with tons of miles and problems and I get this nice 2012 with less then 200K miles on it and its been nothing but a prob since. Oh well what do ya do lol.

Exciting News!

Lol Thanks Brett. Im sure it wont work every time but glad it did this time. Life is to short to blow a lid like that. Like today, I didnt make a dime....why, because my damn heat quit working again. Now its been in the shop all day and they cant figure out whats wrong with it. Hopefully they have it done by tomorrow morning.

Exciting News!

Well today was my first load. Had to bobtail from Grand Rapids Michigan to Potterville Michigan to pick up an already loaded trailer. Roads were all snow covered so it was pretty much a slow day. Got to Potterville and hooked up to the trailer and was on my way. Got to Jackson at about 2:45. My appt time was 2. They almost didnt take me but I gave my its my first load speech and roads are **** and he took me in lol. Nothing to eventful happened. Just popped on the pandora radio and took my time. Have a pick up in Jackson tomorrow morning at 8am. Its a 2 stop pick up. One goes to Alro in Niles Michigan and the other goes to University Park Illionis. Drive safe everyone. Bed time for me. Long stressful day hastired me out lol

TroyD

Exciting News!

Oh yeah, Freight shakers have a lot of room on the inside, is it a single bunk or double? 10 speed? Welcome to flatbed man, if you enjoy hard work you will definitely enjoy this line of work. Just remember, it's better to over secure than not enough securement. Be safe out there and its a hellouvatime to start out flatbedding haha. frozen tarps are the best.

Its a single bunk and a 10 speed. Yea i picked the wrong time for sure. Tired of it already lol.

Exciting News!

Sweet ride. I suggest you thaw it out before driving.

I actually had it out today to take it to the service center because my defrost wouldnt put out hear. Only ice cold air. I got it back and parked it annd went home to gather all my things. Brought the wife and kids up to see the truck at this point here.

My New Ridemodular truck in the snow

Exciting News!

Picked up my truck today. A nice 2012 Freightliner with 193k on it. Only prob is defrost wont put out heat so at the shop getting it fixed.

Question about career choice

I would also wonder how your situation would be being gone a lot from home or being able to be home everynight with a great paying job. From the info I have gathered with trucking you really have to haul ass to make that kind of cash in the trucking industry.

Decision Time ..

Once again I have to thank everyone for their feedback of encouragement!

I've spent the past 24 hours researching Company Sponsored Training and have decided to try and get into one of these schools as they seem to have a little more time dedicated to shifting. " Sandman" really got me remotivated with his in-depth log of the Knight School as they are one of the few that hire from New Hampshire. So I'll be on the phone with them first thing tomorrow.

You guys Rock!

Glad to hear your going to give it a go still! Look into Prime's Driving School as well. Have heard great things about them and their training pay if very good compared to other places.

Has anyone here met anyone else LIVE...

Not yet but Im sure I will at some point now that I will be out on my own. Looking forward to it.

Exciting News!

Hey quick (dumb) question....did they **** test you again during upgrade. And its just a simulator test right?

And I missed if a wheel hub is leaking what can that cause. Choices were A) Wheel lock up, B) Fire, or C) Loss of traction. I put fire. was wheel lock up.

Wait, what?

Wheel lock up?

A leaking wheel hub will result in drips of oil getting into places it never should. A drop could get onto the hot brakes. Oil can easily catch on fire and is the #1 danger of leaking hub seals.

Wheel lock up? Yeah, I guess after the entire axle got incinerated by the fire...

This can't be right.

Thank you thats what I thought! I was just happy I only missed 2 so just said to hell with it. I know a leaking hub is bad anyway.

Exciting News!

No **** test, It was a 30 question paper test. Some multiple choice, some true/false and some you had to write in the answers. I only missed 2. One I missed was where you can place things on the front windshield. I put 6 inches or less from the bottom but its from the top. And I missed if a wheel hub is leaking what can that cause. Choices were A) Wheel lock up, B) Fire, or C) Loss of traction. I put fire. It was wheel lock up.

Is there a truck company that people actually like?

The thing I noticed is from the research I did was there is always someone that will say something bad about a company because it didnt work out for them so they go on a tantrum about how bad they are blah blah blah. I got pretty lucky straight out of CDL School I landed a flatbed job with Modular Transportation out of Grand Rapids Michigan and they have been awesome. I also found some that said it was a dysfunctional company blah blah. I have been here about 2 months or so now and so far I have nothing but great things to say about them. The freight is there, the money will be good. I think its all personal preference. Pay might be low with those mega carriers but if you run for them Im sure you will make money. Im pretty new to all this but that is the impression I got. Drive safe out there.

Exciting News!

Thanks! I will definitely keep you posted. Im sure you will definitely hear about how my first load goes lol.

Decision Time ..

Roger, I do feel like you're selling yourself short. I know this because this is the exact same mistake I made. Back when I started I was afraid to go to a Company Sponsored School because I doubted that I could learn to drive a truck with their fast paced programs. I mean, I in all honesty just didn't think I could do it.

So you know what I did?

I ran away from it. Just like you're doing right now.

Listen man, we've all been where you're at. Before trucking I never drove anything with a clutch pedal. I struggled a lot. And honestly, I almost broke two peoples necks while I was driving because I made the truck jump badly (I'm serious I had to sign paperwork and all that). But it all comes together eventually. Keep practicing it and one day you'll get into that truck and it'll just click.

You really are overthinking this and doubting yourself. There are millions of drivers in this world and they all learned. So why can't you?

Bet on yourself. Life isn't easy, and trucking is a pain in the ass in the beginning. But you'll never reach your goals if you don't take risks. Trucking is a risk. I wake up everyday and risk my life. Your instructor is risking his life by being in the truck with a rookie. Trucking is a risk.

When I thought about trucking I was living in an apartment with my wife. She lost her job and I was making 300$ per week. We weren't getting by and quickly sinking into even more debt. I couldn't go without a job, no one was hiring. I needed to work to make money. So what did I do? I quit my job and went on a bus ride to go to my first company. I wasn't getting anywhere - changes had to happen! I took the risk head on. Here I am with slightly over a year experience at the age of just 22.

So quit backing off because your struggling. You won't get anywhere. We all struggled and eventually we overcame the odds. Bet on yourself, study and envision yourself double clutching. You can do it I'm confident in you.

I been here for awhile. I've seen dozens of folks coming through here and it's always the same thing. I'm struggling with shifting. But every single time they have an "I Graduated" post a few weeks later. You're one of them who will succeed, quit doubting yourself!

Perfectly said! This man knows his stuff Roger! You CAN do it man!

Exciting News!

good-luck.gifdancing.gifdancing-dog.gifrofl-3.gif Congrats Troy!!!! Glad for ya brother. Hope it all works out well for ya good buddy. Good luck and drive safe. And keep the pedal to the medal!!!!

Thanks man!

Exciting News!

Good job Troy. I wish I could have been there more for you like the others have. But you did great! Remember to inspect your new truck with a toothpick. Do not miss any detail and write down any defects it has. Have everything repaired before you take off with it. Check permits, emergency equipment, chains, EVERYTHING. Be very thorough bud!

Good job!!!good-luck.gif

Definitely will. When I get it they have a guy from the garage out there with me going over it 10x over they said lol. Because if I dont mark it down and for some reason if I end up leaving the company and something is wrong with it, like hitting something and not reporting then its coming out of my pocket. So any dent or scratch or crack will be put down for sure. Any leaks will be fixed before i even think of moving it outside of driving it to the Ryder to be fixed ( about 90% of our trucks are Ryder leased ) But thanks man. You helped in more ways then you think just from reading your journey here on the forum. Super excited and Super nervous at the same time.

Companies hiring with two accidents and two moving violations?

This in a CMV or your personal vehicle? All I can think to say is make the phone calls to find out.

Decision Time ..

Do you know anyone that has a truck you can practice on? And thank you for telling me about the B trucks. Never knew that. Im still fairly new as well. It is definitely tricky. Have you tried to rev the rpms up to maybe 1600-1700 to give you a little more time to make the shift?