Comments By Craig L.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/trucks-parked2.jpg avatar
  • Craig L.
  • 7 months, 3 weeks ago
  • Comments:

Posted:  7 months, 2 weeks ago

A reminder about who we are and what we do

One of the reasons why I'm still here, after a decade.

This is not the "trucking debate society" - and all us, if actually, factually proven wrong, have no problem standing corrected.

There is the combined experience of 100's of years in many facets of the industry, as well as real life experience from all walks of life, and pre-trucking professions.

All for FREE - and all out of the "goodness of our hearts", with nothing offered to us in exchange - except for the satisfaction of helping others and the occasional thank you.

Rick

I like the forum. I have learned a lot here and it has been no BS. That is why I have stuck around. Rick, where did you get your CDL from which school/company?

Dark side of trucking

I don't know how drinking works in the trucking world, but I would only drink on home time.

Leaving For School On Midnight May 4th

Did you know you had hernia before the doc told you?

No, I was unaware of it. I had already been checked by another doctor who missed it. Of course, he was doing med cards for the private school I attended. He didn't seem to interested in failing any of us.

Yeah same thing happened for me. I did a DOT physical but they never looked at my groin. Just felt my abdomen area. I hope I don't have it.

Posted:  7 months, 2 weeks ago

Does Roehl Charge Tuition If You Fail Your CDL Exam?

Yeah, a fail is better than not trying. If OTR was the only type of driving jobs there were then I wouldn't enter the field, I have no vested interest in that path. Just like working for a company and let's say you can do sales and work your way through different levels or do MGMT, someone may not to take that path if they have no interest which could potentially hurt performance just by that person not wanting to do that job. I am going to go for what I want to do.

Off to ROEHL I go!!!

Well, I made it to Wisconsin and met 2 other people on the way here. I flew and the bus ride would've taken 30 hours. Got settled in my hotel room and relaxing for the rest of the night. First day starts tomorrow. I'll keep y'all posted.

Great! Bet you are excited! You met two other ppl at the hotel or what?

Leaving For School On Midnight May 4th

What happened that you had to leave that many schools?

I didn't leave any "schools."

These were orientations for employment by trucking companies. I attended a private school. You know, the ones that people tend to think will allow them to have a lot more options when they enter this career. I got several pre-hire agreements together and went with my top choice: TMC.

During the company physical their physician decided I had a small hernia. It didn't matter that I already had my CDL, and a 2 year medical card. I was sent back home. I paid cash out of pocket to a surgeon, a hospital, and an anesthesiologist to get that repaired. A huge expense for an unemployed guy with no insurance. I had the money, and I wanted to start a trucking career, so out came my wallet.

After a six week recovery I got a full work release letter from the surgeon and TMC invited me back. Then during their physical agility test they decided I looked weak. Duh! I just had surgery! I told the guy observing me that I was going to do everything he asked, but since I was still healing I was going to be slow and methodical with the strenuous parts of the test. I accomplished each task including getting the tarp upon a trailer and then on top a 6' tall steel coil. It wasn't good enough. He DQ'd me, and back on the bus I went.

The recruiter told me to wait four more weeks, get my strength back, and he would get me back on board. I exercised, did Yoga, and in general kept myself motivated and working toward getting back up there. After setting up a third orientation, while waiting for them to let me know when they would have my bus ticket, my recruiter called to tell me someone above him determined they weren't going to "waste any more time and money" on me. I was done - they were done with me!

So, I went to my next pre-hire agreement which was PGT trucking. They were thrilled to have me, and put me on the bus the very next week. After being there three days, they discovered I'd been out of trucking school for almost 3 months. That was basically the time I spent back and forth with TMC. They said my training was too "stale" for their standards. They were willing to pay my way back home so I could go back to school for a "refresher course." Uhmm, I decided I didn't want to spend another $1,800 dollars, which is what the school quoted me.

I asked PGT for a bus ticket to Nashville, TN. I had a pre-hire agreement there with Western Express. Once there, I got hired and I never looked back. I got a great start to my flatbed driving career there. Many of the long time members here will remember how much I struggled during that time. It was a brutal entry, but I survived it.

Congrats grad you made it. Did you know you had hernia before the doc told you?

Posted:  7 months, 2 weeks ago

Does Roehl Charge Tuition If You Fail Your CDL Exam?

Not trying to win anything, but saying 99% of people who try local out of school will fail is ludicrous. It is certainly a much harder way into trucking but I know of several drivers at my terminal alone who came fresh out of school.

Some people who come here can not or do not want to do OTR and might end up missing out on a good career based on some of the posts here.

I am tending to lean towards this opinion. If you fail you fail, but it is up to you and what you choose to make out of it just like any job/career. You don't know if you don't try and also if you do fail or simply don't like it at least you didn't waste too much time in the process so then move on to the next path or go back with what you know.

Posted:  7 months, 2 weeks ago

Does Roehl Charge Tuition If You Fail Your CDL Exam?

So rainy you're saying going to a school and having the CDL if you dont use it for a couple months could be considered stale? Can companies verify your 160 hour class?

The longer you wait to drive after getting a CDL from a private school, you decrease your desirability of being hired. An example is if you finished schooling, then didn’t drive for over six months since, your possibilities go down when applying somewhere with zero experience. It all depends on the employer. This is why we advise people that may be on the fence about driving to make the commitment prior to attending a private school or company-sponsored training.

If you complete schooling, they will give you the certificate, as long as all fees have been paid beforehand. It’s like your trucking basic education diploma. The schools keep records of graduates, so verification is simple.

Is there a list of accredited schools?

Leaving For School On Midnight May 4th

Doug, you are probably unaware of my beginning to this career, but I got sent home from three different orientations. It's a tough pill to swallow, but it's not the end of everything. You still have the potential to have a great career ahead of you. These things happen. We learn from them, we press on, and we conquer our fears and our doubts. It's a great lesson in realizing the resiliency required for this career.

Hang in there, and if you need some advice, feel free to reach out to us. Many of us have been right where you are.

What happened that you had to leave that many schools?

Posted:  7 months, 2 weeks ago

Does Roehl Charge Tuition If You Fail Your CDL Exam?

Find a Job

You'll be extremely hard pressed to find a local gig that will take you (not that they don't exist but are very rare) without experience. Might want to look into LTL around your area. Ie ups, FedEx, old Dominion, saia. They usually get home every day. Dunno if they will take you without experience though.

What company is LE? never heard of them?

Off to ROEHL I go!!!

Getting nervous as the time gets closer? Maybe I missed it, but how long of a bus ride is it?

Yeah hopefully he documents his experience and gives you the details! :)

Nervous lady here.

I haven’t tried out for Roehl although I wanted too. I went to the website and realized that the physical requirements I wouldn’t be able to meet. As I get older; I need employment that require me to drop a load and pickup. I wouldn’t meet Roehl’s physical requirements and they don’t have other opportunities like drop in and pickup. I can handle the other tasks of landing gear, coupling, tires, etc but I don’t want to have to move shipment items unless I’d use a driving forklift not a hand one ( hernias)

Many companies are no touch or very little touch freight.

Some accounts differ. For example Dollar General accounts involve the driver unload each stop, repeatedly throughout the day. The backing is hard enough for a newbie.

In almost 4 years i pulled off 2 very very light pallets and both were at Amazon. Prime does have a floral division which requires the drivers unload by hand, but this is teams only, and although is possible during training, one just needs to explain it to their trainer. i have never done a floral load, neither as a trainee or a trainer.

This recalls 1 job I use to have where me an another guy use to unload these barrels from a semi... man that was over 13 years ago. Who runs the Dollar General accounts??

Posted:  7 months, 2 weeks ago

Job Search and Training NOT GOING STALE Update!

That is pretty cool. I guess if training did go stale, one could always apply to mega which current CDL and they'll probably hire you with a refresher and you I am guessing one could stay on for a couple months then leave for a better opportunity.

Posted:  7 months, 2 weeks ago

Prime PSD training, from a trainer's perspective.

When my first truck went mother-in-law, I was at the OC near St. Louis. Schneider said I was getting a loner truck, but I had to take a rental car back to Green Bay. I asked my DBL why I couldn't get a truck down where I was and pull a load up to Green Bay, since I was going there anyway. Sounded like a sensible, efficient idea to me, right? The DBL said they only had a manual available at St. Louis. I told her I trained on a manual and it wouldn't be a problem for me to drive the manual. She said they couldn't let me drive a manual unless I re-certified for manual, since my broken truck was Auto. I thought that was crazy, but what did I know. (I really, really wanted to drive a manual. It broke my heart.) But if Schneider ever put my derriere in a manual again, they would bring me in to a training center and re-certify me for manual. Guess how long they trained me to drive an Auto? 30 minutes, no joke.

What do you mean train you to drive an auto? I don't really understand the double clutching aspect. Either way, it sounds like I need to learn it but most of these trucks are autos now a days.

Posted:  7 months, 2 weeks ago

Prime PSD training, from a trainer's perspective.

Craig, many of the larger companies are already fully auto or becoming so. Anyone who tests on an auto will have the restriction. However, taking the exam later on a manual to lift the restriction would be no big deal because by that time the driver would have down the backing, turning, and handling of surroundings. To only have to concentrate on the shifting that test would be a breeze.

Yeah that is a good point. How would one re test would the company do that?

One local trucking school was telling me they teach double clutching as a selling point but is that still. Necessary in the manual trucks in todays day and age?

Find a Job

Thanks for all the sound advice guys. Yeah Rick, maybe we can set up a meeting. Are you OTR Rick?

Nope - never got out there - yet...

Look me up on facebook...

Rick

You drive all local?

Pay from companies?

Wow!!! I appreciate the response. I think my ultimate goal is to haul tanker (fuel) or other loads locally. Or even food service. And and Pepsi/Coke doesn't pay enough.

I can get my CDL but I want to come home every night or if not every night at least most of the week I want to be home.

Where can I find these jobs where should I be looking?

You may want to look into Linehaul at a LTL company, such as but not limited too Old Dominion, Saia, Estes, XPO Fed Ex and Ups.

I have been with OD for almost 2 years now, I have my own daytime run,am home every night and off Sunday and Monday. Plus I will be right around 100k for the year.

Wow that sounds great! What is your driving/CDL background? (How long/years, sponsored CDL through a mega or did you foot the bill)

Also how did you get on with OD? just applied and was hired?

Find a Job

Posted:  7 months, 2 weeks ago

Prime PSD training, from a trainer's perspective.

Old School advised: "You need to be committed to this if you're going to go through school. Wait until you are ready."

Craig, that's really sound advice. A friend of mine went through Schneider training (they are partnered with a local technical school) and got his CDL through that school and then went to Schneider Training Academy. He quit after 7 months and was billed by Schneider over $2,000 for his training, based on a contract he signed.

Make sure you are committed and/or can afford the consequences.

Why did he quit? Where did he go work when he quit?