Comments By Joel D.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0230539001568564279-89237.jpg avatar
  • Joel D.
  • Comments:

Want to lose weight? Try flatbed

I haven’t read this old school. I will check it out, thanks.

Toughest day on the road?

Would love to hear some stories from you guys about how you handled those days that just seem to never end and there’s just curve ball after curve being thrown at you. Days when you just want to throw the towel in, but ultimately you persevere and carry on.

Want to lose weight? Try flatbed

I guess you have to be careful out there on the road, it would be so easy to put on weight if you weren’t being diligent about what you eat and drink. I would choose flatbed more because of the unique challenges it brings. I need a new challenge in my life to bring me back to life! I know some of you on here try to take care of yourselves and stay healthy and that’s beneficial to you and your company you’re working for, maybe in terms of productivity or whatever it may be. That old saying you are what you eat. I truly believe that.

Want to lose weight? Try flatbed

Is there an element of truth in this or am I being naive? I would think having to handle a 100 pound tarp and having to strap it down would give your body a good work out. One of the reasons I like the sound of flatbed. I like to be active. Not to say I don’t like driving, but it would break it up a bit.

Tools needed?

Does a sega genesis mini count as a tool you need in your arsenal smile.gif

Just quit the worst, best paying job I've ever had. When to say enough is enough?!

Yeah, as soon as you start effing and blinding you might as well give up trying to get anyone to do anything for you. That kinda goes for all jobs not just trucking.

McElroy Truck Lines

This is one of the main reasons I would like to join McElroy.

I head off to orientation for them on the 9th of February. I have asked around and aside from the normal complaints that you will hear from some drivers; there was nothing but really good remarks in regard to this company. I talked to a couple of their drivers that run this dedicated Texas route and they love it, they are home most nights, never missed a weekend off, and they are still averaging 2200-2500 miles weekly. I passed up a couple opportunities with some other companies that would have paid a lot more to have this guaranteed home time. My only wish is that they did the Military apprenticeship like a lot of other companies do.

Putting trucking on hold for now

True that old school! It’s a perfect marriage smile.gif

Nurses and hospitals will always need truck drivers!

Putting trucking on hold for now

Yeah nursing is a solid career, and pays well. You’re always going to need nurses!

Putting trucking on hold for now

Yeah family does come first. Always.

You'll often see two main personality types in this job. I call them the "psychos" and the "monks.

Before reading all that message I immediately thought you were referencing tony schalhoub! From Mr monk!

Putting trucking on hold for now

You are 100 percent correct and wise I might add to include your wife and family in this decision making process regarding your trucking

Thank you Moses. This especially has been the hardest part of my decision making process sofar. At the end of the day, if I don’t have my family’s support fully in this I needn’t bother applying. Hope you ace your exams and get hired! Who are you thinking of going with?

Putting trucking on hold for now

Had a chat with the family tonight and we both agree when she is done with schooling herself to become a LVN by September next year, I can then go ahead and take truck driving school then. I will admit I’m alittle disappointed rn because I was all geared up to take the plunge now, but it is what it is. I haven’t given up that someday I will be a truck driver and make a successful start at it. I have thought about many careers I could go into but truck driving just seemed to click the more I looked and read into it for me. I personally believe I can do it. I have a good attitude a willingness to work hard and get things done. I might not be a people person but I can get along with people well, especially when it comes to work. I like to think I am professional and take pride in what I do. Anyway thought I would let you guys know, if it’s ok with you ALL I would like to stay on here, even though rn I’m not going to be a trucker just yet.

Does anyone work for McElroy on here

Ok so on McElroy website you have two options either you go to a school of their choosing or you go to a school which you can pick on their map and choose to go there instead. You have to pay any cost of you choose to go to a school of your own choosing and they will reimburse, the Lienholder up to $6000.

Does anyone work for McElroy on here

Parrothead66 is there anything about McElroy you could tell me about like will they hire students out of community college. And how much the tuition reimbursement is a month things like that? I have spoken to a recruiter over the phone but I find speaking to guys on here to be more informative and easier to understand. Speaking over the phone sometimes reception is poor I can’t hear them very well, things like that.

Community college as a means of getting my cdl?

Parrothead66 so the college is Austin Community College and I believe McElroy have a contract with them after I complete schooling and then I can get tuition reimbursement from them. Is that correct? Only thing is I might have to pay for the schooling cost upfront to begin with.

Does anyone work for McElroy on here

Tried several times to get some info out of them but finding it hard to know what questions are best to ask. Plus i keep forgetting when I need to (write it down!)

Just got accepted!!

Hey my recruiter just called me and I'm good to go! I told him I'd be there Jan 7th. He paused for a moment at that, but I reminded him when we first spoke that I have to close out my business in L.A. first before I can start. He said he didn't note that but was okay with it and said he'd check in with me and I told him I'd do the same. I'm pretty excited about this opportunity and wish I could start tomorrow, but I have almost $5M in sales that I need to close out.

Ijn case you're wondering, that's $125k in my pocket by the end of the year

, so I need to see it through. That'll be more than enough to get me through my first year of training and driving. Come on Jan!!!

Wow if I was making that much I think I would stick with real estate! Jus kidding. Good luck!

Community college as a means of getting my cdl?

Some really great advice. Thanks for sharing.

Common Mistakes Rookie Truck Drivers Should Avoid - new article by Rainy (Kearsey)

Great article.