Profile For Joel D.

Joel D.'s Info

Austin , TX

Preparing For School

2 months ago

Joel D.'s Bio

Family man. looking for a new career. I want to succeed at this!

Still struggling to understand HOS

Now that’s just plain f***d up! Why would anyone do that to a fellow drive I don’t know. That just adds to the pressure you guys are already under to perform your jobs correctly and effectively.

While you're asleep it's also possible somebody has messed with your equipment for their own sick enjoyment.

Still struggling to understand HOS

Now this seems to me to be honest and true. But kinda illegal. I’m not sure a newbie driver would be comfortable doing this. I know you’re not suggesting this. This would come more from an experienced driver who has a lot of mike to drive and being relied on more heavily from the company he/or she works with.

Of course, a driver could...ahem... hypothetically perform a thorough pre-trip before starting the clock. Once satisfied that the truck is in good operating condition, he could then log on duty for the obligatory pre-trip time, thus avoiding the snafu of a ticking 14 while waiting for service. It's still illegal, but I bet a lot of drivers do this.

Still struggling to understand HOS

I’ll check him out thanks Susan.

Joel, if you do Facebook, I highly recommend that you follow officer Brent Hoover on the Indiana Commercial Vehicle Enforcement page. He's actually a really good guy and will answer any questions you may have without judgement. His mission is to educate and help drivers.. believe it or not. Indiana also happens to be very "by the book " when it comes to commercial vehicle enforcement.

Still struggling to understand HOS

Now I know next to nothing about any of this but that sounds correct to me.

Please, dear Prime drivers.. protect yourself and log your pretrip as on duty. Its required by federal regulations.

My jacket!

Fair play Donna!! Well done

Still struggling to understand HOS

So recaps are something that can help extend your drive time, if you needed it.?

Questions About Prime PSD Training

I don’t think you can beat real world practice, in my humble opinion. Of course I haven’t actually done any truck driving yet, but I would guess at least for me, that’s how I would learn best.

E

Were you given an opportunity to practice backing at truck stops and customers, or did you practice mostly on a pad? What did you find most helpful?

As a recent PSD student, what kind of method did you use to learn pre trip, 40? I wrote it out, section by section, several times. I'd go over it in my head during walks and before I fell asleep. It was easy once I had an actual truck to demonstrate on. Different methods work for different people. It would be useful to know how other people learned.

Still struggling to understand HOS

So as I understand stand it, in any 24 hour period, you have 14 hours of on duty time,11 of which can be driven, but no more than that. After which you have to take a ten hour break to reset your 14. Is that right?

The Life Of A Dedicated Driver

Not bored me at all. On the contrary, I find it very interesting what you and guys like you do for a living. And like you say regional can mean doing many miles almost as if you were doing otr. Just maybe in a shorter time frame.

Still struggling to understand HOS

Well I’m going to keep on trying to understand how HOS works, because it is interesting. I love the thought of managing your time but at the same time it does feel very much like an alien concept to me coming from a kitchen cook background which is what I currently do for a living. But saying that everyone in life manages their time to a certain degree, but trucking seems to take it to another level.

Still struggling to understand HOS

Read a lot of threads about management of your time on the road, but am still struggling to understand it all. I know you guys try to explain it as clearly as possible but I’m just not getting it rn. I really want to though because from what I have read it really is an important aspect of being a truck driver. I’m hoping it will sink in eventually. I feel so dumb.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

How do I handle hub rats?

I agree with G-town. You just have to let it go over your head and carry on doing the best you can. Reach out to the people that want to help you get better and even though it’s hard the less you bite and show them what a good job you’re doing and improving all the time and eventually things will or should settle down for you. Good luck and stay safe

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Toughest day on the road?

Rob T, that’s a great story, thanks for sharing with me. Sounds like you have been through hell but came out the other side better for it. I will look at your diary for sure.

I totally relate to this. When you have soo much riding on the line, it’s almost like you can’t fail. Failure isn’t an option. No matter what gets thrown at you.

What kept me going?knowing my family depends on me

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Toughest day on the road?

Thanks for the reply real diehl. Whatever you’re doing out there is working well for you, so that’s good.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Toughest day on the road?

Thanks bre. Did you have to wait long in the yard? Or did they get it done quickly?

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

The secrets to flatbed.

Any insider knowledge/tips and tricks to become a successful flatbedder other than the obvious like a good attitude and determination. Read a few great threads but wondering if there is anything else I might need to know. Thanks again

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

6 months in the bag.

That’s awesome. Like turtle says, not many guys make even that far.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Is This List Of Companies That Offer Paid CDL Training Complete?

McElroy offer paid cdl training I believe.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Hoping to see some of you/learn more from you on the road in the near future!

I hear ya there jay!

Honestly at this point, the only thing I know is that I don't know anything, lol

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Want to lose weight? Try flatbed

Just watched a YouTube video on how to slingshot a strap over a high load. Awesome!!! Ingenious!!