Comments By Liz D.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0761852001596306441-89424.jpg avatar
  • Liz D.
  • Comments:

Posted:  2 years ago

Started training with Prime

So the family emergency was that my ex had past away and our son an only child needs me. They were doing hospice and my son who is 23, grew up quite a bit in the past few weeks. My ex wanted to be home and with him. All I can say is my ex and I raise him as a team and I have much respect for them. He is a great young man, I couldn’t be any more proud of him. To see what he had done, I have been truly amazed. He needs help with arrangements, cleaning out the apartment, and moving into our home. I can only hope that if I ever have to go through this that he is there for me as well. Oh and cancer sucks!

Posted:  2 years ago

Started training with Prime

Actually We were in route to Denver, I arranged to fly out from there. We stopped at the closest truck stop and I had an Uber waiting to get me to the airport. I missed the flight that I had paid for but they got me on the next one.

Hoping everything is okay for you at home, Liz.

Totally agree! Was it difficult getting routed home to deal with this emergency? I'm sure most OTR drivers fear about this exact situation.

Posted:  2 years ago

Started training with Prime

Congrats Matt. I had to run back home in a family emergency. I’m waiting to hear from my dispatcher when I can restart. See you out there!!!

Congrats Liz! I knew you’d get it done! I’ll be seeing you out here on the road or at a terminal somewhere. I just tested Tuesday and I’m at the house enjoying some home time waiting on my tnt to get routed through N.C.

Posted:  2 years ago

Started training with Prime

Cool. Thank you! You met Howard. We meetup tomorrow. We’ve been talking the past week. He wants to finish his reset and told me to enjoy a bit of time with family. Hopefully we head out tomorrow!! I’ll be up in the am maybe I’ll see ya!

Hi, Liz and congratulations of course. I've been here in Pittston taking trainers classes and relearning how to do the backing maneuvers on the pad and going over pretrip.

Tonight as I was getting ready to leave the terminal (I was standing outside with Richard's sidekick, John) another driver outside said he was here to pick up his student, Elizabeth. I asked if she is from NJ. He said she is. So I assume it is your TNT trainer I met.

He seems super nice. Good luck with TNT!

Posted:  2 years ago

We passed!!!

dancing-banana.gif

Congratulations!!

Posted:  2 years ago

Started training with Prime

Thank you for the update thats freaking awesome! Lol at the magically appearing stop sign. I mean, it is Halloween time and all so maybe it just did apear? Lol. Keep us up to date when you can! I was originally slated for 11/11, but thats been pushed back for sleep apnea, but I remain hopeful! So in the mean time, I am just living vicariously through all of you!

I think I saw Shaggy hopping in the mystery machine as it was taking off.

I would have passed the first time, if it wasn’t for those pesky kids!!

Don’t live vicariously through me, I’m scary!!! Happy Halloween 🎃

Posted:  2 years ago

Started training with Prime

Update

smile.gif

I’ve been quiet for the past week, I passed pretrip and backing on Saturday but failed the driving portion. Ok I missed a stop sign. I retested on Monday (a different route through town and took a turn too tight. Yup whacked the curb.

Crap two strikes and I stink. I was really beating myself up. I had two days to beat myself up, so Thursday I did the first route again. Nervous AF, I got in the truck with the examiner. I think I was feeling shaky, I told him I was nervous, he said he was too. We both laughed. So I go to start after his instructions, release the brakes and poof the trailer brakes are locked up. A great start lol. So he hopped out walked the trailer and hopped back in and said try again, trailer started to move but it felt heavy. Stopped for a second and started again success! So that took my mind off the nervousness. Anyway, I just kept my trainers advice in my head, relax and you’ll be fine. So as we went along I got more comfy. Turning as he asked, maybe a little wide on some but there weren’t going to be any curb shots today. If I have the room use it if it’s a little much I won’t instant fail. I finally got up to where he said the stop sign was on my first try. I swear it wasn’t there on the first go around. Sure enough there it was! The sign that alot of people are missing at least 5 since I first tested. We went around the industrial park. Up and down hills watching my speed and taking the turns wide. I got one warning for speed but we turned off a 35mph road and there were no speed limit signs. I told the examiner there wasn’t a sign but slowed down to 25. Just a note you don’t want speed, but don’t go too slow, one student failed for doing 17 in a 35. When we got back to the training pad he said congratulations you passed! I asked how many points did I get he said 11, which is about average! I’m use to excelling at things but am really happy with average! LOL

So all said and done I passed. So now on to tnt with a new trainer. We’ve talked on the phone and he’s a few days out. We’ll meet at the terminal and see if we are somewhat compatible. He does otr coast to coast and usually gets the mileage bonus. So now the next challenges await. Again, I find myself excited, nervous, thrilled. At least I was able to stop back home for a couple days before going out on the road.

Started training with Prime

OK got a little crazy and it’s time for an update. Friday I met my trainer and we went out on the pad for a short time. Basically just a straight back. I was a bit rusty and felt a bit bad about my performance. We ended up taking the weekend off and went home for a couple days. We started out fresh on the pad Monday morning. I could totally different person come Monday.Straight line back was perfect. Then proceeded to do the offset and parallel.Just learning the set ups and the particular moves to perform the parking. And then we just quickly did a couple alley docks. I still need a little bit of work on that which we will do tomorrow Friday.

Just to let everyone know especially if it’s somebody new who is reading this. You’re backing maneuvers that you learn and the techniques are just to pass your CDL test. When you go out with your TNT trainers, that is when you will start learning to back and over time will get better.

On Wednesday I went out with my trainer to shuttle trailers around and to go to the dump. Actually my very first load was to the dump. So become a professional truck driver and see the country visit new in exciting places and I get to see the dump, LOL. Funny thing is it smells exactly like it did when I went to one xx years ago. So basically right now I’m building up my hours so I can test out.

Thursday, would like to say it was kind of a day off. Actually, while my trainer took his other student out to drive, I went down to the pad to observe other students backing. It’s actually good to watch so if you do have free time go down to the pad and watch. The rest of my time you guessed it, I pre-tripped.

So now it’s Thursday night I will be meeting with my instructor to go out to the pad Friday morning to finish up my alley dock. Most likely, will go over the offset in the parallel one more time. I should have my CDL test time for Saturday before the day is out.

Started training with Prime

Welcome to prime..... but all of trucking is hurry up and wait. get ised to.it hahaha

good luck and yes they do want you to succeed. Richard who heads the training there really helped me after i failed the backing. he was at sprimo then but he is cool.... has an adorable little boy too.

Thank you for the big welcome. So far training has been great. I did get my trainer Friday and been working pad and pre-trip and driving tomorrow. Backing is my biggest fear but that is easing. But it seems to get a lil easier the more I do.

Started training with Prime

Thanks for the update. Keep em coming. Are you in Springfield?

Pittston

Started training with Prime

So here is my Thursday update.

So it’s Thursday morning and I’m still waiting for my clearance from personnel. Everyone else in my class has their clearance. So I spent the morning hoping there wouldn’t be an issue. What happened was when I did my original drug test before going to Pittston PA, the clinic had me drink a bottle of water to make sure there was enough pee for the drug test. Well I was informed Monday morning when I arrived at Pittston that my drug test result was bad because it was diluted. So I did another test Monday morning at prime. So while everyone was getting clearance on Wednesday and Thursday morning I was in patiently waiting. I’d like to say that before going up I had all my ducks in a row and as it turned out one of them was kind of special.

So just after lunch on Thursday today, I was given the greenlight and got my clearance. So now I’m waiting for my psd road training to get me prepared for my CDL road test and a phone call from my trainer to see when we start. Has anyone mentioned that there is a lot of hurry up and wait in this process at the beginning of the week and at the end of the week.

Pretty much for Thursday everyone was for their phone calls I was waiting for my clearance. So to fill the time we went into the Sim lab to do a little more driving with the simulators. Also everyone was continuing to review their pre-trip. Drill this into your heads. Someone I met; went to do their CDL road test and they blew the pre-trip. From having a had a chance to speak with them, I know they will get it there next shot it’s just that until you can get through the pre-trip you can’t do the rest of the Road test. So, just remember get your pre-trip down!

Needless to say I’m still very excited I can’t wait to get started. I’m also very nervous because I’ve never driven something so long. I’d also like to say that everyone here really really wants you to pass and do well. Listen to them and get your stuff done and make sure you bring all the paperwork you were asked to.

So now I wait for my trainer. We’ve heard the horror stories because everyone likes to share the bad and difficult times. The one thing that they told us at the terminal was to remember that when you’re going with the trainer you were basically going into their home so keep that in mind. That is their space their refrigerator their everything. Think about someone coming into you home. Basically, I am going to do what they recommend in class, ask your trainer their rules for their truck are, their expectations are and I will let them know expectations are. Hey, I’m not going into this with a big head or ****y or a know it all. I am here to learn how to become a professional truck driver and I would like to know what my trainer is like, what they expect from me what I expect from them. These are things that we should be able to discuss. Heck we’re professionals.

Again thanks for reading my ramblings. It’s already a little bit after 8 PM and I am tired. I get up early every day so that I can catch the first van to the terminal. So I’m gonna take a nap and maybe review this again later but I’m gonna post it now anyway.

Started training with Prime

Best of luck to ya, Liz. We're all pulling for you here.

Try to keep us updated when you can, and please come to us with any frustrations or questions you have. Have fun!

good-luck.gif

Great update, Liz! Exciting times for you for awhile.good-luck.gif

Thank you PackRat. I can’t wait to get on a truck with a trainer. Time to get this show on the road!

Started training with Prime

OK so we got here Sunday night and checked into the hotel. I had a file waiting for me I needed to do a hard copy in my application which I did Sunday night. We started orientation bright and early Monday morning. We reviewed our documentation which they asked us to bring with us, remember have your birth certificate Social Security card and whatever else they want. Since they broke us up into groups there was 25 of us. We started our day doing our computer based training. As it was recommended here, try to finish that as soon as possible. I had mine finished by Tuesday night. On Monday, they also introduced us to the simulator. I unfortunately get Motion sickness for the way the screen is. I did manage to muddle through.

Also in your packet is print out to show you how to do your pre-trip inspection. Start drilling this into your head ASAP. It is now Wednesday night I pretty much have my pre-trip down pat. Also we did our assessment Wednesday on the simulator. You need at least a 60 to pass. I passed. At this point if all of your documentation your medical your drug test are all set you’ll be ready for your trainer you’ll be cleared for your trainer. Unfortunately, When I arrived here on Monday, I was informed that my drug test was diluted. I had to do another test. So as of Wednesday evening I am still waiting to be cleared for my trainer.

Once I have my trainer assigned we will spend four hours out on the pad getting familiar with the truck. Once I am familiar with the truck and the trainer is comfortable we will head out on the road for 2 to 4 weeks. When the trainer is confident that I am ready for my road test, we will head back for more practice on the pad.

So that’s what I have for you right now from when I arrived on Sunday through Wednesday evening I will try to update you more as I get a little more experience out on the road. Also I did meet Matt who is also on the forum here. It was awesome meeting him he’s already cleared and hopefully he’s going with his trainer soon. I was asked if I would like to train on a manual or an automatic. I did up for the automatic but I’m kind of thinking maybe I may want to do manual if the will get me a trainer faster. I’ll sleep on that one.

Off to Prime to Start Training

Congrats and good luck. we are here if you need us ;)

so far you all have been super helpful and informative. I am just all nervous was heck right now bit I will push though it.

Off to Prime to Start Training

That's great, Liz! Good luck. Hopefully you were able to take advantage of the learning resources here on TT and are a little ahead of the game going in.

Like 40 said, get those CBT videos out of the way ASAP. I guarantee you will hear classmates stressing about how many videos they still have to watch on their last day. Remember, you can watch them on your phone in your hotel room or wherever on the Prime Mobile app.

Great to hear a bit of advice on that. Definitely will get on them right away.

Off to Prime to Start Training

My bags are packed and my ride set for tomorrow to head to Pittston PA. I am excited to be starting a new path as a professional truck driver. I’ll be a noob for awhile getting chuckles and angry looks at truck stops and loading docks but I am confident that in time I will be successful in my endeavors. I’m thrilled, excited, nervous, and scared all rolled into one. It’s not easy walking away from a good check every week even if the job makes you miserable. That is on many levels.

You all have offered some awesome insight into the industry, this site has been helpful in helping me to understand the it a bit better and I know I have a bunch more to learn and experience.

So thanks for your input and help and if you see a noob out there having a heck of a time backing her rig. Say hi!

Veriha, Swift, or Prime

Thank you G-Town, Kearsey and everyone. Agree G that this isn’t about pay structure etc. more of where my fit for me is. Maybe my original post could have been worded better. Was trying to get more of what keeps you where you are.

In essence from what I have researched the big companies pay, benies etc usually balance out. We all tend to find that fit. And yes G-Town looking inside oneself, can I live this lifestyle, do I have the temperament, drive, am I a self starter?

My final decision was based on a couple changes in what I was originally told by recruiters. I won’t go into them. I will say that when you say let’s get the ball rolling sometimes things change.

Anyways I didn’t want to bring any discord between anyone. If I stirred that up I apologize. I’ve read post from everyone here in the different forums and respect you all. I am so glad that you share your experiences and knowledge it is a great help to us noobs. So Kearsey and G-Town kiss an make up. LOL.

I will keep you all updated. I really appreciate all of your advice. I’m so excited to be changing my career and beginning a new chapter in life.

Veriha, Swift, or Prime

Are you going to Pittston?

Please, keep us informed about ur journey. Im curious to hear how it goes.

Good luck!

Update: I’m starting in 10 days with Prime. I listened researched and looked inside me to figure the best match for me. All the choices I narrowed down to were all close. We all find our place and this is the one for me.

So now that I am settled on my company choice, when do the nervous jitters dissipate? Asking for a friend. 🤔🤣

Yes going to Pittston will keep y’all updated!

Veriha, Swift, or Prime