Profile For Tortuga

Tortuga 's Info

Waco, TX

Considering A Career

Tortuga On The Web

9 months ago

Tortuga 's Bio

I'm currently law enforcement and planning on retiring in the next five years and am considering driving a truck afterwards. I'm glad I found this site!

Posted:  23 hours, 53 minutes ago

I've Been Sick This Week

Get well soon Old School!

Posted:  1 day, 1 hour ago

Millis regional

Hey Mike are you going to write a training diary?

Posted:  2 days, 3 hours ago

Interesting conversation with a driver

Accidentally hit submit. My first comment was in reference to parked trucks., sorry i should have specified.

Posted:  2 days, 3 hours ago

Interesting conversation with a driver

Yeah, the state boys are a bit different ....

Posted:  2 days, 4 hours ago

Interesting conversation with a driver

The most bizarre thing is trucks parked at rest stops and truck stops even blew over!

Anybody know if that situation of being parked in a normally safe place would have a negative impact on a drivers record?

Well Rob i've been a police officer in Waco Texas for the last 33 years and we wouldnt work a truck or any vehicle blown over by high winds as a traffic crash since it is considered an act of God, not a typical crash. So i dont see how it would show on your CDL as a wreck. Just my two cents.

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

Game: Word Association

Big Wheels Rollin Movin On!

Posted:  2 weeks, 2 days ago

Best Schools for New Drivers

Sorry forgot to add a link. Also do you already have your CDL? Paid CDL Training Programs

Posted:  2 weeks, 2 days ago

Best Schools for New Drivers

Have you tried company sponsored training with Swift, Roehl, Millis, Stevens Transport to name a few? They all have training facilities in Texas.

Posted:  2 weeks, 5 days ago

Papa Pigs Zainy Rookie Solo Adventures

You can count me in!

Posted:  2 weeks, 5 days ago

Postcards from the Road! (Post Yours Please!)

Looks great PackRat!

Posted:  2 weeks, 6 days ago

Millis called me aaannnd...

Give Millis everything you've got for one full year. See it through. You may eventually decide you want something a little different, so you'll move on. But most of the time a person stays with a company for a full year, they're thrilled right where they're at.

I totally agree with you on this Brett. When the time comes and I finally jump into this industry I plan on staying with the company I choose until I'm ready to retire from the trucking industry.

I learned the hard way in law enforcement. I left my original department to go where I thought that the grass was greener only to find out that though the people I worked with changed I still delt with the same situation's. Stayed at that department for four years then went back to my original. Unfortunately I lost all the seniority that I had and started over at the bottom pay scale.

Posted:  3 weeks ago

Millis called me aaannnd...

Thanks for the extra info! I'm looking forward to your training diary also. I see a lot of their trucks at Owens-Illinois when I drive down Beverly Drive in Waco so I guess they haul a lot of freight for them. Do you know if they deliver to South Texas? If so where?

Posted:  3 weeks ago

Millis called me aaannnd...

Thanks for the quick reply Mike D. I have my eye on Millis Transfer now that we decided not to move out of Texas when I retire in 2024. Their 3 week vacation after the first year caught my eye when looking at their benefits, I haven't seen that at other trucking companies but I haven't look at them all either. Training terminal being close to Waco, TX is a nice plus too 😎

Posted:  3 weeks ago

Millis called me aaannnd...

I'm curious, are they going to build a new terminal in Burleson or moving to a different location in Texas?

Posted:  3 weeks, 4 days ago

Titan Transfer Inc

Luck! You don't need luck, you got this kid!! Keep up the studying!

Posted:  1 month ago

Off to ROEHL I go!!!

Great update Chris M. And congratulations on hitting your one year mark!! Good luck on your local runs and be safe. Also I enjoyed reading your training diary.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Early Fireworks--Blown Steer Tire

Oh my! I'm so embarrassed Anne. 😳 Darn autocorrect got me again! 😡

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Early Fireworks--Blown Steer Tire

Holy Batwings PackRat! I'm glad you kept her under control and came out without a snatch!

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Thinking about career change from law enforcement to truck driving

Hey Danny B. I'm planning on going into trucking when I retire from law enforcement in 4 years. Lots of great info on this forum and a wealth of knowledge from the truck drivers here! Welcome to the forum brother!

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Moving violations/ grace periods

Expired tags and no insurance are not moving violation's Moving violation's are speeding, running red light or stop sign, fail to yield right of way, reckless driving, ECT...