Comments By

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0737658001625787079-97360.jpg avatar
  • 1 year, 4 months ago
  • Comments:

Posted:  1 year ago

CYA question on local road weight limits

Went to this shipper recently.

0269572001611354650.jpg

The yellow mark on the picture is the 10 ton weight limit sign facing you as you pull out of the only access to the shipper as your loaded weighing 78,000 lbs. A steady stream of trucks roll through it everyday.

I don't why they even bothered to put up the sign.

I'm wondering if in my case it was to stop trucks from just passing through there. Although there's multiple roundabouts not far past the Costco so I have no idea why you'd want to go that way...

Posted:  1 year ago

CYA question on local road weight limits

Did you look at an atlas to see if there was a different way? Sometimes you need to go a couple miles out of the way in order to stay on truck routes. The likelihood of getting hassled going down that road depends on different factors. One of which is if its a residential street you're more likely to have issues due to homeowners complaining. Depending on the state the overweight citation could be astronomical. What is the address if you don't mind sharing? Did the sign say there was a weight limit then underneath "Ahead". I've seen that a few times.

Being a local driver we have a few stores we go to that require us to take non truck routes. At one store in Cedar Rapids Iowa a homeowner would frequently call the police about it. Eventually either they quit showing up or the guy quit calling because I haven't heard anything else about it.

Only take non truck routes as a last resort. Often times there is a very good reason for it.

It was the Costco at 4000 River Point Pkwy, Sheridan, CO 80110. Looking it over now, I see a 'loading area' sign at the entrance to the one way frontage road behind it, but it looks like you'd still have to go down River Point to get there, which is where I saw the weight sign at.

I hadn't looked at the street view of River Point, the signs obvious as it was taken during daylight. Couldn't see it this morning at around 3 AM until my lights hit it coming around the corner.

Route I took was south on the 85, exit onto W Oxford then onto River Point, which is where the GPS and myself after looking at the satellite view thought I should go. I was only on River Point up to the turn in for Costco.

Posted:  1 year ago

CYA question on local road weight limits

I'm doing my solo week with Wilson right now and long story short, both looking on Google maps and the way my GPS had me go took me to what looked like a truck entrance that went straight to the docks.

Well, halfway through my turn onto the road leading to that, boom, 7k weight limit sign. At that point I was already committed to the turn and as there were zero other cars around I continued the couple hundred feet to that entrance.

In the future, we're generally exempt from that if our delivery takes us that way, right? That's my understanding as far as I'm aware. Topic never came up with my trainer as we didn't run into this issue. I know it's completely different where bridges are concerned, I'm referring to local roads.

Thanks in advance.

Posted:  1 year ago

Making the jump

Thanks for the link. Turns out the photo button was staring me in the face the whole time. It's all fixed now, it was the sensor like I suspected it was.

0027447001611152865.jpg

Posted:  1 year ago

Making the jump

Off to a great start....not!

Got my truck, everything checked out good on it. Only 145k, I think I'm set. Delivered my first load and I guess the coolant level sensor took a vacation, so now I'm at the shop. I'll have to try to upload pics another time, I wasn't seeing the upload button on mobile.

Posted:  1 year ago

Making the jump

Well, took a little longer than I'd hoped for but I get my truck Monday. Ended up not having the miles to get it for Christmas so they got me a rental car back for the week. Ended up having me go to Pacific WA to bring back an older Peterbilt they're getting rid of, then it's into a late 2019/early 2020 Cascadia. Didn't get a real good look at it since it was still in their detail shop getting cleaned, but first impressions were decent.

Currently sitting in the yard until tomorrow with a load going to Helena that's due there on Tuesday. Woke up far earlier than I wanted to today because it's looking like the bunk heater in this Pete went on strike. Not too big a deal, it was still cold enough outside the truck let me idle it for a bit to get things warmed back up and I'll be out of this one tomorrow morning.

Posted:  1 year, 1 month ago

Team Training Anxiety - Can I "Teach Myself" to Fall Asleep in a Moving Truck?

I'm in the team phase of my training at Wilson, out of the Missoula yard and what my trainer and I do might be ideal for you if yours will go along with it. I don't have any issues sleeping in the truck, but he hasn't done team in a good ten years so it's hard for him to get more than a couple hour nap in.

What we ended up doing after he had a talk with the safety guy in Missoula about it was running like what the safety guy calls a 'super solo'. We each drive our hours for the day and then stop for a 10 hour break. It works pretty well for us other than a few loads that we had to run as a team to deliver on time.

Posted:  1 year, 1 month ago

Is it normal to wait a while for a trainer?

I know I had to wait another three or so days longer than the rest of my group for my trainer. Between weather delays and running out of hours he wasn't able to meet up with me until the next week. Not getting paid wasn't great, but at least I left the hotel recharged and ready to go.

Posted:  1 year, 1 month ago

Making the jump

Another quick update just to let y'all know I'm still around. Nothing worth noting lately, same old same old as far as the loads have gone.

I did get to find out what it feels like to hit black ice in the truck a few days ago coming through some freezing fog though, luckily it was on a straight section coming out of a corner and I just let it ride the rumble strip until we were clear. My trainer took over a few miles after that, of course as soon as we switched out the fog lifted and it was all clear the rest of the day.

I'm still on track to be in my own truck just in time to go home for Christmas which will be nice. My next update will most likely be sometime then.

Posted:  1 year, 2 months ago

Making the jump

It's been awhile. Between driving and getting everything taken care of as far as preparing for the test I didn't have a whole lot of free time.

The last bit of training went well and I passed my test a few days ago and I'm back on the truck now for about another 30k then it's my solo week. If the timing works right it should be just in time to go home for Christmas.

Right now we're sitting at the TA in Denver waiting to pickup our load at 1830, the downtime is kind of nice if I'm being honest. It looks like they have us set up to do runs back and forth from Salt Lake the rest of this week.

Posted:  1 year, 3 months ago

Making the jump

Quick little update, I was finally able to meet up with my trainer and get moved into the truck. We went more or less around the corner to the nearest Loves and parked for the night, load he's got doesn't need to be dropped off until tomorrow morning.

Got a quick little tour of the tractor and how some of the stuff on the elogs work. I was pleasantly surprised by how roomy the top bunk in a new Cascadia is. Granted I'm not much more than 5'5" depending on which convenience store I'm leaving, but there's plenty of room on top of the cabinets and at the foot of my bunk for my stuff and I can sit up and still have a few inches of headroom. My only gripe would have to be there's no outlets up top, but at least I've got a vent.

Posted:  1 year, 3 months ago

Making the jump

Day four and five were mainly backing, with a bit of pretrip while we waited for others to take their turns on the pad. I know I have the entire pretrip down, I just need to do it until it's muscle memory because I'm a nervous test taker. I would've aced both the exterior and the in cab 'test' but I got nervous thinking I missed multiple things at one point and forgot to point out one of the more simple things, the u bolts on the drive suspension. My only mistake on the in cab was I forgot to shut the truck off before the applied pressure test, but I caught myself after I did it and would've been able to tell the examiner I needed to restart. There was one other thing, after the screwup with the applied pressure test I forgot to retrieve my wheel chock before saying I was done.

On the plus side I have the straight and offset back down, as well as a method to help make sure my dot bumper is in the box for the test in a couple weeks. I get the general idea of the 90 and can do it with minimal help as far as getting the end result of it being in the box where it needs to be, but we were mainly focused on doing it and not worrying about the pull ahead limit line we'd have to deal with on the test and I know I still have several encroachments I need to figure out how to solve while staying behind the line. My main issue with that is just needing more practice knowing when to start turning to get the trailer to react when I want it to.

I did get in touch with my over the road trainer and he won't be here until midday Tuesday because he needed a 34, so I should only have to share the pad with another guy that's retaking his test this coming week. He said after the extra couple days of backing practice he'd most likely let me drive immediately when we leave, so I'm excited for that. I guess he usually handles the driving on the first day so the trainee can observe and ask any questions.

Posted:  1 year, 3 months ago

Making the jump

Day three in the books, the coupling and uncoupling went well. It was fairly self explanatory once you got into it. The most surprising part of it was how stiff the brakes were, and how touchy they were when they kick in.

The pretripping went decently. I should've use the checklist for the mock air brake test, but I wanted to see how I'd do without it. Between nerves and being completely unfamiliar with the truck it could've gone better, but I'm certain doing it on a daily basis with the trainer will take care of it. Didn't help that I was under the impression we were only doing the exterior portion of it today and focusing on in cab Thursday and Friday when we do some actual driving. The exterior portion went much better, my mock test for that was the coupling system. I only had to use the checklist towards the end to double check I'd gotten everything.

All in all I'm confident I'll be ready come test time in a few weeks.

Posted:  1 year, 3 months ago

Making the jump

Day two went well. No issues getting my papers transferred over to MT, in fact I did better on the permit test the second time around. Simulator went well, only ran over one plow marker making a turn onto the onramp because I was watching the trailer more than the nose of the truck. I hit a deer, but it was either that or take out the AI traffic beside me so the instructor still said it was definitely the right call. I did have a truck rear end and go through me after another emergency stop scenario, but both the simulator and instructor didn't count it against me. Mainly just need to take turns a hair bit wider, but I wasn't hitting curbs or cutting the corners which was one of the main things besides backing I was worried about. Good to know the hours I put into American Truck Simulator are coming in handy!

Tomorrow we're doing the pretrip and coupling/uncoupling, then it sounds like backing practice Thursday and Friday then out with a trainer by Saturday.

Posted:  1 year, 3 months ago

Making the jump

Well, first days done and in the books. The first half of the day was going over paperwork then a break for lunch. When we got back we went over the JHA's, which was just making sure everyone could get in and out of the truck, open and close the hood, work the landing gear and get in and out of the trailer. Everyone in my group passed that without issue, though I'd imagined the high gear getting the landing gear up/down faster than it did. I lucked out and went last, so by the time my turn came around everything had been worked loose and was about as easy as you could hope. Hardest part for everyone seemed to be getting the trailer doors open, something was tweaked with it towards the top and kept making the door stick closed.

After that it was several hours of studying, we all need to retest for our MT permits tomorrow. Wish I'd have known they were open to us knocking out our endorsements at the same time, I'd have done some studying for those as well.

Tomorrow's update should be a little more interesting, we're all getting some simulator time and it sounded like we'd get a demo of how the pretrip is expected to be done.

Posted:  1 year, 3 months ago

Making the jump

Well tonight's the night. The night I head to training anyway. Last minute I found out there was some kind of miscommunication somewhere along the line. My home terminal is going to be Springfield but I'm actually training in Missoula. At least I get more of a scenic drive for the extra 7 or 8 hours it's going to take to get there.

Posted:  1 year, 4 months ago

Making the jump

Little update now that I finally have enough to be worth writing about. Got my physical and permit taken care of with no problems. Day or two after that they got the background checks and whatever else they needed to look into done and I have a 10/5 start date in Springfield.

Posted:  1 year, 4 months ago

Making the jump

Recruiters take days off. Lol. What do you need to hear if you have the invitation. I only talked to my recruiter twice before I came to prime

Did end up hearing from him again yesterday. Just had me worried when he said he'd check in every day to make sure I didn't have any questions about it and then didn't get anything over the next three or four days.

Without going into a several paragraph rant nobody cares to read I'm just paranoid about being ghosted somewhere in this process because that's what happened with the temp agency I worked for. Ended up wondering how to make rent for the rest of that year while playing phone tag with them and any other place I could apply for. Turned out the guy handling my file there left and they 'forgot' about me despite daily check ins for the first couple months after the last assignment. Been too afraid of getting burned again to try to get out of the mcjob I've had for the past couple years until now.

Posted:  1 year, 4 months ago

Making the jump

Well, after being on the fence about committing to it for as long as I can remember I'm finally at a place in my life where I can give this a shot without worrying about things at home. So far, I don't even have my permit or my med card but with any luck both will be taken care of with no problems (thanks to the program on here and as many other practice tests as I've been able to get my hands on) next week.

I've been in touch with a recruiter with Wilson about their CDL program and like what I heard from them and what I saw mentioned about them both here and a few other places. I've got a conditional employment letter and a tentative start date for them already. Little nervous I haven't heard from my recruiter again yet after being told he'd check in daily with me to see how things were going getting everything in order this past Friday but I'm telling myself it's just because of the holiday. Not sure what else to put right now, but I suppose my next update will be next week after I have the permit in hand and the start date finalized. Either way I'm definitely looking forward to this.