Profile For Plumcrazy Preston

Plumcrazy Preston's Info

Fort Sill, OK

Considering A Career

8 months, 4 weeks ago

Plumcrazy Preston's Bio

Living with wife stationed at Fort Sill.

Plumcrazy Preston's Photo Gallery

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

Driver's education questions: willful obstruction of traffic

Depends. Are you one of the protestors?

No, I'm a motor vehicle operator. Cars can run into such troubles just as well as big trucks. I don't want to do something that could send me to jail for many years. By the same token, I don't want to be killed or threatened by idiots on the ground outside my vehicle.

Here are a few video links regarding various vehicle drivers who've encountered idiots on the ground (the roadways):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKQaPowMQmU https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cg7FXmMPhAQ&t=857s https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cF9dngn8ZA

Stupid people on the roadways obstructing traffic on purpose and/or threatening drivers seems to be a new "hot fashion" these days like "mass shootings". Do truck driving schools these days even address this issue for driver training? Does your employer address issues as this? This poor James Alex Fields man may die in prison of old age. He claimed that a protestor pointed a gun at him and others were beating on his car with objects as the reason he panicked and speed off killing a woman in a crowd ahead. This is a very sensitive issue. In all seriousness, drivers (car and commercial alike) really need to know what to do in case they should encounter such stupidity on the road. Truck drivers can't always control what happens around them: they can't control the actions of others: they can only smartly or prudently react. Isn't funny that protestors don't seem to be standing on RR tracks to "stop trains".

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

Driver's education questions: willful obstruction of traffic

What should a driver do if he/she should encounter people in the road who are obstructing traffic on purpose such as protestors or rioters? What should the driver do or not do so as not to get in trouble with the law?

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

Real Word Question: What type of equipment is used to haul live elephants over the highway?

I would not purposely plow through people who were blocking my truck. I would let the police deal with those persons who are unlawfully obstructing traffic. I would only use my truck as a defense weapon if somebody on the ground pulled a gun on me standing in front of me. Running a gunman down would then be justified. A peaceful and even idiotic protestor blocking a truck is not in itself a threat to justify use of deadly force.

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

I did a quick YouTube search to study up on the live animal transport industry and found this odd video:

The pig stock truck is trying to run down animal rights protestors right in front of police. The protestors are indeed goofy but the driver could face severe felony vehicular assault charges.

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

OOPS, PETA

Oh, by the way, has any driver here done live wild animal transport in a big-rig before? How about cattle-hauling? Did you like it?

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

PITA would have a field day with that giraffe.

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

See the end of Smokey and the Bandit II for details.

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

It certainly can't be a black 1979 Trans Am.

Posted:  5 months ago

Questions about local driving

Thanks, Steven. I once worked as a temporary USPS postman during the holiday season, 1995, and the local post office supervisor gave me, the newbie, the most physically-demanding walking-loop delivery routes in town. It was often challenging because sometimes I would have a different route everyday and go into unknown territory. I did not get the preferred driving-only rural/semi-rural routes much: the seniors with union representation got those cushy routes where they just sit in the delivery truck or jeep and drive up to the mailboxes.

I could probably do Regional for some time before graduating to Local then going onto a non-driving job as Dispatcher, Load Planner or Logistics Manager. Will major carriers generally require any OTR (long-haul) experience at all for hiring non-drivers as Logistics Managers?

Is Regional to Local to Logistics Manager a possible carrier path?

How about just regional directly to non-driving?

Non-driving jobs are most desirable for the natural homebodies like me. They seem like the typical 9-5 daily local commute jobs. I love the simple pleasure of hiking on the local hillside trail with a dog after work. Some here are romanced by the adventure of dieseling in a big rig all over America in many different adverse conditions. Wondering if you can pull that heavy load up a steep grade and get back down safely. Sometimes this lifestyle entails the horror of trying to find safe parking places overnight, dealing with low bridges, being in unfamiliar crime-ridden areas or getting totally lost. For me, being based in Texas and doing no greater driving ranges than Regional routes would keep me out of those congested and crime-ridden big cities of the ocean coastal areas and of the Great Lakes areas. There are seldom mountain driving, desert driving and severe winter driving conditions in the south too. This latest Texas Big Freeze in one notable exception. The warm and flat south, think Get My Kicks on Route 66, seems to be the most desirable or favorable trucking territory in Lower 48 America. I've driven to California to Georgia a couple time over Route 66 even in the dead of winter. A cake walk in a car of pickup truck with a landscaping trailer even. There were a few mountains in Flagstaff, Arizona and in New Mexico but nothing major. I doubt if a Regional driver out of Texas would ever have to drive in the Rockies of Colorado

I view the prospect of driving as an experience ticket to get to those more desirable non-driving motor carrier positions. My mother once had a real estate man would drove a fancy 1976 Cadillac Seville. He told us he drove trucks for a while then got into the real estate business. I suppose he was more financially successful as a realtor than as a truck driver back in the 1970's. He,age 45 back in 1981, had a wife and three boys.

Truck driving is/was a stepping stone or a way to make a living on the way to to something else for many. Many young and new celebrity rock and roll musicians did heavy road touring early on then graduated to the more comfortable home life of a recording studio or solo career later on. People can get totally burned out being on the road too long. Prolonged road life whether being a touring rock star or a long-haul trucker has been the substance-abuse death of some too. The road life can stand in the way of other human endeavors as family life or taking Rover to the local dog park after work each evening. A truck can be a rolling jail sentence for some.

As the Jody cadences we used to sing in the army, leave that toughest stuff (airborne ranger, long-haul driver) to the young and the bold.

Posted:  5 months ago

Plumcrazy states:

Don, nobody is asking you to read my stuff. Don't you have some money to make, sir?

This is an asinine statement. Why do you post things here if we don't need to read it?

Plum crazy reveals:

US Army, 8 years

Must be all that saltpeter.

This is why I'm not wasting my time with trolls like this.

I should have said "nobody is asking you to respond to my stuff". Can't we all get along?

Posted:  5 months ago

Questions about local driving

Anyway, I'll continue to play nice

Posted:  5 months ago

Questions about local driving

I never caught the jack ever.

Posted:  5 months ago

Questions about local driving

I use the handle Plumcrazy Preston here coz Preston is my middle name and Mopar Plum Crazy paint is my favorite vehicle color. https://www.carthrottle.com/post/plum-crazy-is-the-only-colour-your-should-consider-for-your-2016-dodge-charger-or-challenger/

Posted:  5 months ago

Plumcrazy,

What branch of the Military were you in and for how long?

US Army, 8 years

Posted:  5 months ago

Questions about local driving

I believe in reincarnation. If not in this lifetime maybe a future one I might drive trucks unless Star Wars type vehicles replace them by then. Heck, cargo might even by then be beamed from one place to another Scotty style!

Posted:  5 months ago

Questions about local driving

As I was saying, I will think this whole thing over some more before judging this fine craft of gear-floating. Please drive carefully, slow down on greasy roads and be safe!! Trucking, like soldiering which I have been already, probably isn't for most people. Somebody's got to do it though.

Posted:  5 months ago

Questions about local driving

Get off the "pipe" and go do something useful with your life. Your trolling is getting boring.

You are going to hate trucking too.

Primarily because of the time commitment. You will no longer have the time to do what it is you do best.

Don't kid yourself. There's not a soul here who gives any credibility to your comments.

No trolling time for sure! But trolling pays no money. It pays no bills. Well, for now I'll sleep on this whole notion of being a "big-diesel jockey" for a spell. I would want to get into a non-driving motor carrier job eventually anyway as logistics manager then truly have valuable home time. I figure some steering wheel experience would lead to a trucking-industry 9-5 desk job with a "major leaguer" like Schneider or somebody. I have a college associates degree in computers already and that is also a boon for being a dispatcher, load planner or logistics specialist.

I want a German Shepherd of my own like Brett Aquila here has one day to walk through my Leave-It-To-Beaver neighborhood after work every evening. Even working a local driving job doesn't leave much valuable quality home time daily to properly raise, enjoy and train pet dogs. There is more to life than roaring diesel engines and traffic jams but as folks here seem to indicate it takes some gear-grinding to one day make the grade.

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Questions about local driving

You are going to hate trucking too.

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Questions about local driving

Who in creation is TODD once more?

Who is "in the driver seat" so to speak, the driver or the carrier? Yes, I do fantasize "being in the driver seat" in a sense. I hate it when bosses are always staring at me up close. I hate to be micromanaged as a worker too.

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Questions about local driving

How many brownie points could I score by not even being a smoker? Non-smokers are less likely to be distracted while driving. This is what auto insurance commercials have been saying for years.

Ok, are REGIONAL jobs also much harder to land than OTR ones? I've been doing some thinking and I might rough it for a year if Regional could be possible career path to local. I might do a stint with regional if push comes to shove and the door is open, or cracked. Could regional driving be a likely open door for a noob? To me, it's still seems much better than OTR. I figure being regional while based in Texas would keep me in the more desirable nearby states to drive still. Flatter and warmer climate, last Deep Freeze week in Tx notwithstanding. None of the hoopla of coastal states, mountainous states or the high crime rates of major cities in anti-gun blue states. I'd want to stick to the more southern red states as a regional driver. I don't see traffic or bridge clearances as being a major problem in these southern states also. It's seems as Texas and neighboring states are quite trucker-friendly, wide open in landscape with little congestion.

Some people here already said it might be hard but not 100% impossible for a greenhorn to land a local job still especially out of CDL school. At times some local outfits might be severely shorthanded and therefore more lenient in hiring and willing to train noobs.

I'm now going to do some reading here on the pros and cons of OTR, regional and local driving.