Profile For NaeNaeInNC

NaeNaeInNC's Info

NC

Experienced Driver

1 year, 10 months ago

NaeNaeInNC's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Posted:  3 hours, 10 minutes ago

Reefer Question Need Little Help Please!!

It helps if your sleep cycle is boned to begin with 🤣

I can grab a nap nearly anywhere, and have my phone ringtones set for very specific things. Each person in my contact has their own easily identifiable ringtone. Non contacts have an obnoxious and identifiable one that I can't sleep through. Text messages come through with a very annoying an difficult to sleep through one.

Needless to say, my "wakeup" alarm is part of a song, and every time that song is on the radio, I have that little jolt of "ok where am I?"

Yes, I know I am quite possibly rediculous. Ya gotta be a teensy bit to do this job. 😁

Posted:  1 day, 23 hours ago

Are there secondary Ways to make money while driving on the road

Yes, you have to log other moneymaking activities as on duty not driving. So that would only leave passive income streams as an option.

I can't think of anything you could do that wouldn't cut into your 70 hours though. Don't you have to log any other job as on duty time?

I'm looking for ideas or suggestions for things I can do while driving out on the road to make a second income like can you be a salesman or something of that nature

Posted:  3 days, 6 hours ago

May need help moving on from Roehl

Just so you know, tampering with the safety devices on the truck is a termination offence with many carriers.

Travis, lol don't miss that side sensor or front 1 if it's inop !.....Those side warning sensors act stupid, pick up faded or blasted white lines, that have been redone. Or they pick up the shiny tar they pour over cracks in the asphalt. Real PITA, the front radar sensor, well, my experience, they too are goofy a LOT ! I put a piece of aluminum behind the cover blocking the radar. Problem solved, only thing was the dash warnings pop up every restart, hit delete they're gone til I restart the truck later.

No more applying the brakes, with NOTHING in front of em close enough to even bother. Sure, I shouldn't have blocked it off, BUT, I wasn't driving like an idiot, tailgating or any dumb stuff. Scary, when a car is in the exit ramp, and my truck picks up their brake lights from an angle and mostly tried to stop my truck, not just slow it down. Was not fun when that crap would happen for no reason.....I made sure, I removed that aluminum piece when I retired and turned in my truck

Posted:  4 days, 13 hours ago

May need help moving on from Roehl

I had a whole long post typed out, but decided to leave it to what has already been said.

Get on the plane.

Posted:  4 days, 13 hours ago

Which company to go with for not as experienced driver

Your company didn’t run you illegal, you did.

This. OP, I am sorry, but having three different companies in only a year and a half makes me think that the companies aren't the problem. Personal responsibility, communication, and reliability are hallmarks of success in this industry. None of which I am seeing in your post.

I have been gently nudged a few times, to push a little harder, or go a little further in conditions that I deemed unsafe. Every time, my solid "I am not driving in unsafe conditions" was met with "10/4, keep us posted." Their job is to keep freight and trucks moving. Our job is to keep the truck and trailer out of the ditch, and get from point A to point B. I won't work for a company that wouldn't "allow" me to run in a safe and legal manner.

The issue here isn't the company. It's the driver.

Posted:  1 week, 1 day ago

Pattern Recognition

I use this info quite often. "Usually" the through lanes have the darkest drip lines. I also use it in the caves in both Springfield and Carthage MO. I look at the ground, and can see the path that the majority have taken to wiggle into their door. Useful info, if you choose to look for it.

I found this an interesting read and can relate to most of the things commented on.

One thing that was not mentioned above and I would imagine is a pattern many people here that drive long stretches of interstates recognize, is the oil patches in the freeway right after a dip or hump in the pavement. Big oil patch means big bump. Most vehicles drip some oil and those drips get shook loose more often when there are bumps in the road. I've always wondered if these were mostly from oil pans or where. Do not try taking a sip of hot coffee is you see the oil patch just ahead. Definitely harder to recognize this pattern when driving at night.

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

Any true OTR companies??

Right now, the entirety of Southern California is on my 💩 list. 2 HOURS of going 2.5 miles an hour. Ok, fine. I'll suck it up buttercup! I dislike the rudeness, the "me first" drivers, the impatience (I was behind the double fatal, 2 semis, 1 minivan 1 work truck wreck) the extreme disregard for their own lives (jumping into my stopping space) in their little 💩box Tesla or Prius.

I get verbally road ragey in Southern California. Everywhere else? I talk to the traffic nicely! 😇

Ah yes, good ole Fontana, CA…….12 miles of gridlock lol, they are a tightly spaced DC too lol lol

With Prime, I am happy, and have a mix of short haul, and long haul. This is just since October of last year. I just dropped a 1400 mile load, and am picking up a 1200 mile load. It fully depends on what happens to be available in the area you are delivering in. Some times, you take the bad (the 12 mile Fontana drop yard to Fontana Walmart DC) to get the good.

0885885001663377254.jpg

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

Pattern Recognition

I ALWAYS check the tree haircuts! 🤣

I came across a situation today that relates to pattern recognition. I was on my route to a pickup at Claussen Pickle in Woodstock, IL. Just a few blocks before the facility, my navigation told me to turn left on a two lane street with cars parked all along the right side of the street. I was a little apprehensive about this street until I noticed that all the overhanging trees had the typical 13’6” trailer haircut underneath due to regular truck traffic. This is a good sign. If your trailer is hitting tree branches on a street, bad sign. I had viewed my route beforehand on satellite view and street view and was fairly confident that I was on the correct route. The underneath tree haircut thing sealed the deal. I sure didn’t want to get in a pickle heading into Claussen Pickle.

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

Professional driving behavior.

Same. For the most part, I'll even kick cruise off for a second if someone is trying to pass me, so that they can get ahead of me a teensy bit faster. I don't like being hung out to dry trying to pass, and I don't like doing it to other drivers.

I deal with this almost daily. I’m governed at 65 and when I try to pass some yahoo on their phone whose zoned out they speed up and trap me. So I do what you do fall back and try again down the road.

One thing I have learned here is to be professional and courteous on the road. There are so many drivers that don’t have a clue as to what that means.

For example, I often come up to a truck going slower than me. When it’s safe, I will pull out and start to pass. Then I see that the other truck has increased speed and is matching my speed. What are my choices? I can stay in the passing lane and irritate everybody who has come up behind me, or I can slow down to fall into the slow lane, further irritating those behind me who don’t realize what is going on. This is really no choice at all, I have to slow down and get into the right lane so as to not impede traffic. More often than not this type of situation is caused by what I call a “yo-yo driver”. This is a driver who has inconsistent speed for no reason at all. They seem to delight in going slow to require other trucks to pass and then speeding up to play some sort of stupid, sadistic game.

When I encounter this, I slow down so as to get away from such an unprofessional driver. Unfortunately, I might encounter him again up the road.

What’s my point? New drivers, learn to avoid bad habits like this. We, as drivers, have a responsibility to control traffic within our area of travel. Have situational awareness. Don’t get into turtle races. If there is another truck trying to pass you and they are just 1 MPH faster than you and there are vehicles behind them, reduce your speed enough to let the log jam clear. This is called profession courtesy. It seems like there are more and more drivers on the road who have no concept of this issue.

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

When am I in the clear?

Yikes. That's a fast way to kill your career before you even got your foot in the door.

None of us here are drug testing experts, (except MAYYYYYYBE Pelican) and had you come in first, we would have advised you to wait, instead of taking this risk.

Hopefully you will have good news.

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

Any true OTR companies??

0885885001663377254.jpg

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

Dustbuster/Vacuum For Cab

I got this Walmart cheapie for my car almost 2 years ago, and it's going strong. I just store it on the top bunk, with Velcro cable minders for the cord and hose. Does great for my truck. 0584469001662885996.jpg

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

Backing Tips

I have a mental list of every truckstop that I ever cried in frustration over, that made me question my sanity, question my ability, and question my future. Every time I run across one, I either choose the exact spot that I struggled with (Wytheville VA, TA, Lower lot, first angled sight side) and prove to myself that I can do it. Usually, it sails right in, and I prove to myself that I just needed practice.

We get caught up as humans, in "perfect" when sometimes, all that matters is "good enough."

A successful back-up to me, means that I got it where I needed it, and I didn't tear up any trucks or property. That's it. It doesn't matter how many pull ups and GOALS I needed. It's in the hole, and unscathed.

One of my old school buddies (former Swift Mentor) gave me some sage wisdom.

"Some days, you can back it up a gnats @ss. Other days, you won't be able to get straight in an empty parking lot with double wide spots. Relax."

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

When not driving, what do y'all do to pass the time?

Apparently my mirror and microwave manage to work together enough so I can see faint red flashing and faint green on it. Def helpful.

Currently I'm working on a mirror for backing assistance.

Before that, it was a mirrors setup so that I could lay in my bunk and view the "Red/Green" dock lights without needing to get up every 10 minutes to look.

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

How much time do you spend on the road? Do you have any trouble getting prescriptions filled?

Request mail order refills, in 90 day supplies. Most insurance companies I have dealt with in the last 5 years allowed this cycle. Set it up so that you refill the rx a week or two before scheduled hometime. Do the exam for the new 90 day rx, and refill that the same way.

I stay out a long time, and run recaps. I keep a mail box at the Prime terminal in Springfield, and when I need to pick up mail to include dog food and prescriptions, I just request a load with time, where I can take a day to handle that stuff. I stayed out between Black Friday all the way to the day before Valentine's day, which for me, was right to the edge of "get me out of this bloody truck." I don't stay out longer than 6 weeks, and usually get a hotel room if any bit of mechanical work needs to be done.

I don't maintain a residence, and most of my stuff is in a storage unit in Montana, and my friends house in North Carolina.

Also I have a doctor I have to see once every three months. It's basically a quick check up, usually takes 30 minutes at most. He requires this to write refills. So I'll have to do that on my home time as well, but that's less frequent than pharmacy runs. Anyone else deal with this? Is it just a matter of good planning?

Posted:  2 weeks, 2 days ago

When not driving, what do y'all do to pass the time?

I set my TV sleep timer. If I'm on a ten, I'm usually out before the opening credits are finished. Weird day, with a split SB, and unable to sleep? Sure. Tv or switch games.

After not having dedicated internet on my truck, and getting carona, the sheer boredom of 7 days quarantine and limited mobil hotspot tethering, I don't care if I only use it ten minutes a month. It's still going to be there!

With all the entertainment options available to drivers, perhaps the most important thing for drivers to do while not driving is to sleep. No, being in the bunk watching TV or playing video games does not have the same restorative power as good, old fashioned sleep does.

When I drive by a truck roll over or a truck in a ditch, my first thought is if that the driver fell asleep at the wheel. Sleep is perhaps the number one safety practice for all drivers, old and new.

Posted:  2 weeks, 2 days ago

The more I drive, the more I love night driving.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I use the Weigh My Truck app. I already have too many pieces of paper to keep track of 🤣

Another reason I scale every load is it's 52 free points at Love's on my rewards card. Free money for me that I can buy something with some day.

As far as I know PackRat doesn't use the app....he doesn't use any trucking apps. But don't let him kid you, the points are nice but he does it for the cards that are stuck on page two 😁😂🤣

Laura

Posted:  2 weeks, 2 days ago

The more I drive, the more I love night driving.

Posted:  2 weeks, 2 days ago

I’ve had a set back

Glad you are making improvements! I know it's a long road to recover after surgery. You will get there! Do not under any circumstances slack in PT. I have seen it time and again, with lifelong consequences in the work comp world.

If I had slacked in my ankle PT, I wouldn't be walking today. I have metal plates screws and wires in both of them. Each time was "do not touch your foot down for any reason, for the next 6 weeks.". The type of repair they did on mine risked snapping off the calcaneus, which is where the plantar fascia attaches on the bottom of the foot, and the Achilles attaches at it's distal point. Super scary stuff.

Here I am, killing it, even with the constant weather alerts from my metal!

Posted:  2 weeks, 2 days ago

The more I drive, the more I love night driving.

Absolutely! If I didn't have RW, I'd scale every time. 🤣 Cheap out on helpful tools, the company will spend the $13.50 every load.

Obviously if I'm only carrying 20k lbs of eggo waffles, and I know how this shipper ALWAYS loads the eggos, I already know that I'm going to be pretty well balanced, unless there is something wrong with the trailer. I won't bother weighing that one. It only took me three trips with that exact load to figure it out. I'm a slow learner 🤣

Driving for Prime I agree with Nae Nae in how I used the Right Weigh system. Except sweet talking shippers without a CAT scale ticket didn’t work for me when it indicated a potential overweight situation on my trailer axles.

However, if I was with a company not using Right Weigh, then I agree with BK that weighing every load over a certain weight is necessary because you are blind about your weights without doing it.