Comments By NaeNaeInNC

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0162140001631110079-99348.jpg avatar

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Getting my CPAP machine Monday.

Part of CPAP treatment related to weight loss is that you are now moving through the different stages of sleep appropriately, which allows the restorative sleep that your body needs in order to heal, and operate effectively. If I can figure out how to upload a photo, I can show a collage of what 6 years of treatment did, just in my face.

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Drive Tires Sidewall Mystery

I didn't even look twice at the pics before I said "porcupine." Those things are the debbil! I HATE that side of Montana

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Getting my CPAP machine Monday.

Some people fare better if they have the unit on while watching tv or reading in bed, just to gets feel for the breathing against pressure.

I use the Phillips Wisp nasal mask, with the old style fabric frame (none of this DreamWear poo) and have zero issues with mouth leaking.

Apneaboard and OSCAR (Formerly Sleepyhead) were resources that helped me in the beginning to understand why it sucked, and how to ask for the right changes.

Some old school sleep docs refuse to use the auto titration setting built into modern CPAPS, because they think the machines just chase leaks. That's only half truth. The first gen of auto machines did that, bit heck if you can break the Docs of that belief. I was actually "fired" as a patient by a sleep Doc because I refused to take sleeping pills. If I was going to just medicate myself, why was I fighting and pay for a machine? Advocate for yourself!

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

What If The Judge Doesn’t Show Up To Court?

I worked in justice court previously. The way it worked in our court was that the judges only had hearings on even or odd days. (Two judges, assigned cases via first citation number, even went to judge H, odd went to judge A)

In my county you actually had to appear in front of the judge to plead not guilty, and they would then set it for trial.

Were you showing up based on the "failure to appear by....." Date, or were you showing up for an assigned open court general pleadings day?

The clerks can bump out that FTA date, based on court procedure and guidelines. Ours was 7 day bump, if they showed up on or before the correct date.

Now, the clerks will try to make it seem like your only option is to pay it and move on. Don't do it. People don't always connect the "I paid it" with "I pled guilty via paying my fine." Big difference.

Call an attorney in the morning.

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Bent Bat wings (cab extenders)

I am slightly fearful of crunching mine. I actually jumped the pin on this trip, but luckily I didn't crunch the sleeper/cab extenders..... Also very thankful that I knew how to fix it because of this forum! (Less than 2 minutes, no frustration)

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Seeking a Lengthy Training Program

I would have to agree, Prime seems to be longer than many of the others I have seen and heard of. (I drive for Prime Inc.) I am biased towards them, because my journey had ZERO hiccups from first recruiter contact, all the way to upgrading to my own truck. (Truck and I had to have a come to Jesus meeting, and now we see eye to eye..... And he's got the "act right" down.....)

For me, I chose them because of their reputation with training women. There seems to be a very fast reaction if things do go sideways on the harassment scenario.

I know my trainer was VERY aware of propriety. He would see me crawl into bed in a hoodie, sweats, fuzzy socks (he kept the truck an icicle!) And cacooned in my sleeping bag, and he would always pop open the way top of the curtain, and go "ya decent?" It was funny, and a smidge sweet knowing that he didn't want to embarrass either of us!

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Cooking/Eating OTR

I use Clorox wipes on everything.

My "appliances" are all nonstick, so they get hit with a wet paper towel first to get the majority of the gook off, then a dry one if necessary, then Clorox/Lysol wipes.

As for paper/plastic/utensils issue? Food is fuel. Treating it in any other manner caused me to get fat, so it doesn't matter what it is sitting on, any more than my truck cares wether the diesel pump has a splash collar or not.

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Cooking/Eating OTR

In TNT I got sick because of the junk in truckstops, my stomach was def NOT used to eating trash food.

On my last hometime, I stocked my freezer. I have chicken breasts, steaks, pork chops, burger, and pre-seasoned taco meat. I stocked up on charcuterie board items (meats and cheeses) pickles, lunch meat, eggs, etc etc.

Dry goods I get the single serve veggie packs in the canned food isle, a couple cans of soup, easy Mac cups, and the pre-cooked chicken pouches just in case my fridge dies. Then I have my cashews, almonds, and peanut mini packs, protein bars, fruit leather, etc.

Prime is switching to a 1500w Cobra inverter, and I am lucky enough to have a new one, which runs the Galanz 3 in 1 on microwave without having to high idle., But to bake or air fry, the truck needs to be running. I have a 600w electric skillet (very small square) and the cheap $9 sandwich maker from Walmart. The sandwich maker works wonders for fried eggs, hash browns, or grilled cheese sandwiches.

I carry a sharp knife, flexible cutting board, one reg plate and bowl, a few Rubbermaid type storage bowls, paper plates, plastic utensils, can opener.

Ultimately, instacart and Walmart+ is how I plan to keep stocked up, but luckily I have been able to walk to the nearest grocery store, so no need to online order yet, but it's coming!

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Wilson Logistics - Missoula MT

Vicki, I was thinking about you when I rolled into Missoula, and dropped my Prime trailer a spittin distance from Darwin's "Ole number 50!" Probably picking up the same empty to get outta dodge today!

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

After 3 months, I’m quitting

NaeNae, you literally made me break into a laugh with that statement! smile.gif

I always enjoy hearing someone turn a good phrase or a comical expression, and that one was completely new to me. Thanks for the laugh this morning!

Glad I could make you laugh! I was a bit salty that night when I responded. There is a sub-set of well intentioned men out there, that "jump in to help" when they see ANY woman making the attempt to do their job. The first few times it happened (hood up, pre-tripping) I just laughed it off. The more it happens, the saltier I get. Between me and a few other female driver friends, it happens way more often than it should.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Disqualifying Prescription?

I know this is going to sound crazy, but hear me out.

Daith piercings. It puts the piece of jewelry right through an acupuncture point that is pretty successful at reducing the severity of migraines. Anecdotally, I was able to get off the daily Immatrex, in favor of the "rescue injection dose." I figured that worst case scenario, I got a cool new place for jewelry. Since I got mine 4 years ago, I have used 8 injection doses. Previously, it was daily dose of a control med. Typically I would get break through migraines at least every other month, still requiring the injection dose.

My best friend went from 83 migraine days out of 90 (and a hefty daily med list) to 5 migraine days in 90, by doing the double daith. For both of us, the possible payoff was worth the temporary hassle of healing a cartilage piercing, and a "reasonably effective" treatment in the sub $100 range? Sure. Relatively low risk on the financial/complication sides.

Good luck in weaning off!

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Setting up for a straight back

I think I saw a video somewhere, where it was "go past your hole slightly, make your turn, and go past it again, in an *s* form," and it should point your trailer in the right spot. I can't comment on the effectiveness of this, as I haven't been in a position to try it, but it did seem to make sense via geometry.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

After 3 months, I’m quitting

Honestly, backing didn't "click" for me, until I was on my own, and had zero options other than get it in the hole. Stop waking up your co driver, and get it into your head that you CAN do this. You already know how to move the trailer, just buck up and do it.

Between May 11th and July 26th, during my TNT at Prime, I only had ONE textbook back that went in the hole without a fight. ONE. I cried. I questioned if I was ever going to "get it right." I knew I could go forward, but dang if I couldn't go backwards. I even jacked up a pull through parking job. My Fleet Manager literally rolled me through to Springfield, because he and my trainer had faith that I knew how to do it, I was just one that had to be put into a situation where I didn't have a choice. Kind of a tough love, shoved out of the nest situation.

Very first load out of Springfield? The Caves. Had to blind side not once, but twice. (Trainer never let me blindside.) It was less of a struggle than a sight side 45. Why? Because I hadn't ever jacked one up. Went right where I wanted it to go, with two pull ups (second was prob unnecessary,) and 4 GOALs.

I still struggle sometimes with sight side 45, but knowing that I CAN do it, and I know the steps to make it happen, make it easier. However, when "Captain Save-a-hoe" decides he needs to "guide me into the spot" is when I start messing up.

You got this.

Posted:  3 months ago

Collision avoidance in winter

I HATE those things. During TNT with Prime, in a 2021 Pete, it slammed on the brakes twice while climbing a hill. Over what? Those tubular goal post looking interstate signs. Within 6 minutes of the second one, safety was on the phone asking me what kind of boneheaded tailgating I was doing. They looked back at the data, and whoops. Road signs.Y freightliner (2019) has only given me the warning light in red once, but not slammed on the brakes. Let's hope it stays that way.

Posted:  3 months ago

Cpap and moving to another company.

You're going to leave Prime, Inc. over a CPAP need?

Nope. Getting a raise. No cpap is just a bonus.

I would be VERY CAREFUL about just quitting CPAP treatment. (Coming from the insurance side of the medical field, and a CPAP User myself.)

If you have a diagnosis of sleep apnea (regardless of Obstructive/Central) and you do not use your CPAP, and get into an accident, the attorneys will have a FIELD DAY raking you over the coals. It's a bit different for Joe Schmoe non commercial driver, because his medical records are difficult (not impossible) for attorneys to bring into court. As a CMV driver, if you are in an accident, the attorneys can EASILY get your medical card info.

The long and short of it? If you were prescribed durable medical equipment, you had to meet certain criteria. The "standard measure" is the apnea-hypopnea index, usually referred to as AHI. In order for you to have received a diagnosis, your sleep study showed an average number of apnea events (stop breathing) and hypopnoea events (decreased blood oxygen levels) of greater than 5 events an hour, averaged over the course of recording. These events pull you around the sleep stages and out of normal sleep patterns, even without you being aware of it.

I never showed "classic" apnea symptoms, like snoring, constant fatigue, fogginess. I had a morning headache. I am fat. Imagine my shock when 6.5 years ago, I went through a sleep study based on family history of apnea, and I wound up with an AHI of 48. That is on average, my body partially woke itself up, 48 times. That's pretty darn close to once a minute. The data also showed that I never went into REM sleep, and the light and deep sleep stages were way out of balance too. After this long of treatment, my face is no longer puffy and red, I no longer feel the need to nap all day long, unexplained weight gain has pretty much stopped, and I look younger at 40 than I did at 30.

What does this do long term? It causes brain damage. Irreversible BRAIN DAMAGE. You are starving your brain of oxygen, a little at a time. My mom? At 60 she has early onset dementia, 100 percent attributed to untreated sleep apnea greater than 20 years.

But yeah. Go ahead. Call it a scam. Just stay out of a truck if you can't treat a medical condition that could directly affect those in vehicles around you.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Prime inc

I started with Prime on 4/18/21 for orientation in Pittston. They had some sharing rooms, and others solo. In the training computer lab, they had us spaced out with one station separating each of us. Masks on all shuttles. Nothing too big. Now, in Springfield, it's masks everywhere due to a spike in cases, but one of the trainers posted a pic with a huge class size. Who knows why they do what they do! Welcome to Prime!

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

Failed my physical agility with roehl 😩

I would try again. I can't climb into a trailer without assistance, because of two ankle surgeries. What I do, is leave the left rear door closed, and it changes the angle that I can grip, and up I go on the ICC bumper.

I have also figured out that a yoga stretching strap looped around a hinge on the fully opened door can bring that grab point to the correct height for me. Don't give up!

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Before I waste my time...

The answer is, as always, "it depends."

The main factors are time. How long has it been? What else is on your driving record? Has there been anything recent? Does your record show a pattern of bad driving and law breaking?

The truth is, if there has been SOME time since, many companies will look at it on a case by case basis. If it was 6 months ago, you are probably hosed for quite some time.

Posted:  4 months ago

Autonomous trucks outpacing self-driving cars, will come to market sooner

Every time the truck in front of me exits the freeway and slows while it's on the exit ramp my ACC slams the brakes on because it thinks I'm getting too close.

I got two "critical events" in a 6 minute span, while going uphill. Why? Because those giant signs on tubes that go across the whole interstate. Scared the crap out of me, just slammed the brakes on. Luckily safety took the events off me, because that would have really bummed me out, another 20k miles for something the damn truck did.

Posted:  4 months ago

Prime Inc. (Drug Screening) *gasp*

They can and will test you at any time, via urine sample. I started 4/18, and last time we rolled through inbound in Pittston, I was randomly selected for a test.

This is NOT something you should ever risk. If you have any doubts of passing via follicle or urine, wait out and stay clean.