Comments By NaeNaeInNC

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0162140001631110079-99348.jpg avatar
  • NaeNaeInNC
  • 1 year, 7 months ago
  • Comments:

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Revenue generated through forum

While most companies offer some sort of referral bonus for new recruits, I do not share my driver code, because it feels icky to me. I want someone to come to Prime because they WANT TO and it's the right situation for them, not to get a referral bonus.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Something to think about RE: struggling to back on the pad

So, as an offshoot thought, here is something I wish I had known, before I was sent out with my TNT trainer.

I was trained on the pad at Prime Pittston. Perfectly laid out, controlled area, etc. I never once struggled to get it right, besides trying to chase the passenger side of my trailer.

Without the struggling, I never learned how to "Fix it!" So when it came time to back up in the real world, I was making correction mistakes that just made the situation worse.

So, if you are struggling on a training pad, just remember, you are learning how to fix it, just as much as you are learning to get it right the first time.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Time to jump in the deep end

That's a huge huge thing that you need to be aware of. I watched so many people get taken out by maneuvers they had done hundreds of times, because they got nerves for the test.

I was super nervous on my backing test, but knew I had a lot riding on it. I knew I could do them, and had consistently been near perfect on the pad. I was just praying to make it through unscathed.

Funny thing? I got a perfect score on the maneuvers, didn't touch a single cone or line. Zero error points. Pre trip? I was scared I would miss something, after spending 26 recordable hours studying it, on top of reciting "The Prime way" while shampooing my hair. I nailed pre trip too, but almost missed the windshield/wipers/mirrors, and realized it while doing the applied pressure part of the air brake test, and picked that part up at the very end. (90 out of a possible 90, needed 61/90 to pass.)

I picked up 7 error points on the road test. (I think you can have up to 29 in PA) and I know exactly what they were, as I kept doing the same bloody thing in the two spots that got me.

The bottom line is, even though I was going through sheer terror at the thought of failure, I owned that test, and made it mine.

You got this!

Thanks NaeNaeInNC,

I know what got me, nerves. But this week going back thru the High Road Training program is helping me refresh my memory, and I feel good about my retest on Monday.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Opinions on Trans-tech Charlotte

For the most part, the members of this site are proponents of on the job training with a carrier, simply because of you make it through, you have a job, with very little up front costs, for usually a year's time.

I agree. If I had my stuff together, I could have been at Prime less than 7 days after the application. Everybody cries about the one year commitment. Honestly? It went by way way way fast. I'm technically not a "Rookie" anymore, but somehow, I think of myself that way still.

The main issue I have read about schools vs carrier training, is the number of students vs available drive time. I was lucky, that I was in a group of three, trained "on the pad" and did a lot of short hauls to tight locations close enough to Pittston to go there and back. Make sure the school actually gets you legit road time, not just driving in circles in the same neighborhood.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Hair test

Please, for the love of God, if you can't pass any drug screening without "help" don't even try in this industry. Sober up, stay that way, THEN look into driving only if you can stay clean and sober.

Does prime do a hair test for new highers

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Sleeper berth splits

So many people over complicate it when explaining it! My actual logs advisor can't give a short direct answer for anything, but her weekend coverage explained it how Kearsey did, and it was a serious lightbulb moment!

Don't over complicated it....

At least 7 or 8 in sleeper ONLY

Then 3 or 2 in any off duty status

11 drive shift minus the hours you drove between the 2 breaks is what you can drive

You will never get a full 11/14

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Time to jump in the deep end

Oh SNAP! I was within sight of the pass for hazmat, and had been on the fence about picking up that permit, and well, I don't have the hazmat endorsement! 🤣

Slow down, take your time, and pay super close attention to how the question is worded. The few that I missed were because of verbiage, not lack of knowledge.

Another quick update.

I earned myself a Homer Simpson award (for those not familiar with that particular award, for outstanding boneheadedness, it's a palm slap to the forehead, followed by the exclamation "DOH").

You may be wondering, "What did you do to achieve this wonderful honor?".

Very simple my friends, my first at bat with the CDL permit test, and I went down in flames within sight of the finish. I failed out at question 47 out of 50. Yes, that close.

I'll be back over at High Road Training, starting at page one, for the remainder of the week until my retest next Monday.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Atlanta and I are in an abusive relationship.

Yeah, I suspect it was a small surface cut that happened to let go at the wrong right time. I don't really know how to describe it other than "boom" but it was def a "oh crap that's not good" sound.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Atlanta and I are in an abusive relationship.

It's not even the traffic that gets me! Mechanical issues, every time!The most recent big one was picking up a repowered load from the ATL drop yard. Pushed in the red valve, and bam. Airbag ruptured. Scared the poo outta me! That one took 8 hours to get fixed on site.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Atlanta and I are in an abusive relationship.

Every single load I have been on, that touches Atlanta, went through Atlanta, or was repowered FROM Atlanta has hosed me for a few hours. Yet I keep going back, hoping it will be better "this time!"

Posted:  1 month, 4 weeks ago

Sent home from Melton flatbed

Chiming in from the Work Comp side of things here too. You messed up when you tried to get your Health Insurance to pay for imaging. Health Insurance says no, because someone else could be responsible (subrogation) Now, your adjuster (who has 100+ active claims) is wasting their time arguing with the Drs office, Imaging center, AND your health insurance company.

Do not EVER muddy the waters for insurance and work comp by trying to "jump the line." All it does is delays care.

I am curious, as to how they managed to get you recovering trucks, in a light duty status. Every driver that had injury requiring " light duty" on our account was parked, and paid the Short Term Disability. Why? Because drivers don't like to listen, and do stuff outside their restrictions, and injure a subsequent body part while compensating. Guess what? That second injury isn't covered. Why? They were knowingly and of their own accord working outside of their medical limitations.

Posted:  2 months ago

SAP Program and Paid Training

That's going to be a significant hindrance from what I have read about. The biggest thing (again not personal experience) is time between the issue and now. It's going to be a rough road for sure. Good luck.

Failed 03/28/22 just completed sap program.

Posted:  2 months ago

How to Survive Financially During Training

PS. I used both cash and a credit card. I went back through my credit card transactions that occurred from 03/11-04/28/22 during my TNT training. The total was $615.

I also used ~$600 in cash for same 7 weeks.

Total expenses ~$1,215 or ~$174/week

I hope this helps

Holy crow. Showering ONCE A WEEK? That is disgusting and unrealistic.

With Prime, there is ZERO excuse for that. We have shower power at both Loves and Pilot/Flying J. Yeah, you have to fuel once to activate it every month, but reefer fill-up would do it. I have gone a MAX of two days without a shower. If I don't sleep at a truck stop, I extend a 30 for a shower.

OP, Prime has a 900/wk gross guarantee during the TNT phase. I am used to making pennies scream, and I made it on the road for about $100 a week. Yeah, it was rough and a lot of sandwiches, but I made it!

Honestly, if you can get a loan against your 401k, it's a better tax free option than just doing a draw. Not sure if it's an option if you are switching employers though.

Call and speak to some of your creditors/regular billing accounts, and ask if you can defer payment for 8 weeks or lower payment for same time frame. The worst they can say is no.

Don't chose a company based solely on training pay, if you can avoid it. Make sure you are choosing based on your needs.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Weird/Interesting Loads

Have hauled 3 loads of chicken leg & thigh bones and carcasses from chicken processing plants in the Carolina’s & Mississippi to Protein Solutions in Joplin, MO. It ends up in pet food.

I don’t care for poultry or beef processing plants, but you gotta go where they send you.

Smallest High Value load was a single pallet of pharmaceuticals sitting in the front right corner of the trailer.

Be VERY CAREFUL discussing HV stuff. It could cost you your job.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Are "manual transmissions only" drivers supertruckers?

Yes, you do. Didn't I just MENTION that on a video ?!?!?! Almost bigger'n some guys! You & Laura! Nae Nae in the running, too!

Ma'am! I prefer the term "chesticles!" My balls are so big they had to put them on my chest to prevent chafing. (Yes dears, that is snark and sarcasm!)

As for "super truckers" and "terminal rats" you see them everywhere, in real life and online. It is absolutely amplified online. The reason you aren't hearing the good advice, is that the successful drivers are too busy actually working to waste their time inflating their ego and being a legend in their own mind.

Be very careful what advice you take to heart and apply to your career and life. Everyone has an opinion. Opinions are not often related to reality.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Weird/Interesting Loads

I haven't hauled anything weird. Had to drag a pallet of frozen rejected pizzas BACK to OH from upstate NY.

I worked in a truck stop when I was barely 18. I'll never forget the dude who scales "produce" but was talking about some sort of official escort.... I was confused. Apparently, cadavers are a big money item, and at the time we're sent with security escort. Or he was pulling my leg , 🤣

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Why did you get started in trucking, and what were your biggest concerns?

Awe, thank you guys! This site, and everyone's contributions managed to help me take something seriously scary, and realize that I could handle whatever this career threw at me. Thank you, everyone, from the bottom of my shriveled heart!

Anne, when it's your turn at bat, I suspect you will knock it outta the park too!

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

What Do You Say To The Naysayers???

Just let it roll off man. I wasted so many opportunities to better myself because I let other people's fear of change and new things limit my choices. My father was the worst about my career choice.

I was in no particular order:

• Abandoning my (19 year old) kid to his own sink or swim apartment
  • Giving up my life
  • Going to fail because I couldn't back up a boat trailer 22 years ago
  • Going to be raped or kidnapped
  • Know nothing about my company (Prime)
  • Going to be assaulted by my male trainer

The bottom line is, I made a choice that is right for myself, and myself alone. People who don't understand are speaking from a place of fear and ignorance. My dad didn't settle down until I put him in the truck, and explained the panic button, that they can identify where our trucks are within so many feet, and there are safety plans in place. He finally, after I turned 41, told me he was proud of me. Gee dummy, I did NOTHING to be proud of?

I digress. If you make the sacrifices to do this, and keep an eye on the end goal, you will be fine.

In less than a year, I raised my credit score by 100 points, paid off all consumer and medical debts, and put a small dent in my student loans. That's without being super money conscious either.

Bottom line, you have to live with your decisions, not them. Smile, nod, and move on.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Driving Mountain Grades with an auto trans

The 2019 Pete that my trainer had, he taught me to set the cruise 5 under my optimal speed, set the Jake to the first position, and see if it held my speed. If not, controlled braking until another 5 below where I wanted to be. Set again, and adjust as needed. The thing with automatics, in perfect weather, let the truck do it's job on the way down.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Why did you get started in trucking, and what were your biggest concerns?

Phewwwwww. It's a doozie. My son had just turned 18, and I was burnt out, working two jobs. Barely scraping by.

I was a single parent from day one, so had ample time to mess up my credit trying to do it without the dreaded government assistance. Still had nothing to show for it, and was wondering why?

One of my lifelong girlfriends watched me finally break, and told me I was moving into their basement, so I could at least have enough financial room to take a breath.

I was leaving home at 6am, drive 45 miles, hit the gym for 45 mins, shower fast and go the block to my office, to assist in the adjusting of work comp claims. I would sleep in my office during my lunch break, and be done at 5, quick change clothes, eat in my car, start the second job at 5:30. Off at 11. Drive home. Lucky to be in bed by midnight.

One day, I'm in my office, with 9 files (about 1k pages each) that needed me to redact certain proprietary info that claimants attorneys were not entitled to. I had to have eyes on every page of those 9k in the stack. They needed to be sent in 2 days, on top of my other claim duties. An adjuster came into my office with a smile, and asked me to do a redaction ASAP.

I SNAPPED. Lost my professional marbles (that was a first!) I asked her which of the other 9 I was supposed to tell to "Fudge off." Only I said it. (Nod to Christmas Story! Yay!) Little Miss Fully composed lost the plot, and cursed in a professional office! (The horror, right?) The adjuster looked like I had slapped her, and she sloooooooowly backed out of my office.

I had been kicking around the idea of driving for years. I had family members who were old school cattle haulers. Friends who became family who were mega carrier trainers. Boyfriends that drove for the little guy flatbed companies. I never could justify the sacrifice of time away from my son, or get past the terror of messing up and killing someone. I had gone as far as applying for Prime. They had offered me flatbed out of Montana. That was a no-go for me. One of our main WC clients was a flatbed carrier. It was a case of "too much graphic information" about life changing injuries in my face. Derek my recruiter told me to try again, if I moved to a state they hired reefer out of.

That day in my office, it took me ten minutes to do the math, call a friend in NC and ask if I could couch surf, and write my letter of resignation for 33 days later. I was terrified. Beyond terrified. My boss teared up, asked if I was sure. Two separate adjusters tried to get me to stay in separate ambushes in my office. The more they talked, the more I realized I was worth more than $14.50/hr with an hour each way commute.

My entire future plan hung on being able to do this. I had no plan B, or plan C. To say I NAILED IT is an understatement. I'm still afraid of someone hitting me, and as a result they die.... But I think that's going to be a forever worry.

I had planned for 1 year, 3 year, and 5 year if I actually liked it. May 6th will be one year as a CDL holder/Prime employee. It has by far given me room to breathe, think, and make a decision that is right for me, that benefits myself. I'm sticking with it!