Comments By Davy A.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0398527001618892539-100853.jpg avatar
  • Davy A.
  • 1 year, 8 months ago
  • Comments:

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

Well crapolla, got a ticket for missing a scale

Which Interstate was that, Davy?

US 6 from Springville UT down to I-70 at Green River UT.

Laura

Yep

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

Knight Drivers - How Do you like it?

I've driven for Knight for a little over a year and a half. I thoroughly detailed my experience from beginning through training and my solo training miles. Feel free to have a read in the diaries section.

I've had tremendous success at Knight and although I have complaints at times, its usually my attitude that's the problem.

I average 3000 miles plus a week as well and choose to frequently drive nights as it fits to my natural body clock and sleep cycles. My DM is aware of that and schedules loads accordingly if possible but it's also well known that I'll run what they need me to, when they need me to and figure out solutions to make it work.

As for 500 mile loads, I make more money in shorter loads. I'd be perfectly happy to do 6 500 mile loads for a week. But it rarely works out like that. I've had everything from a couple 1.5 mile loads that paid 250.00 each to a 3100 mile load in a week. I've sat for 6 days on a 390 mile load due to weather and ive had severalback to back, one never knows.

I've experienced very positive and professional relationships with my office staff and other terminals as well.

I think there's a very high level of autonomy in the industry as a whole. If you're capable of making and executing sound decisions with communication to your DM, you'll find success at any company.

Again, from my perspective, I've been very happy with my relationship with Knight. There are trade offs with any company. Strengths and weaknesses that work for some, not for others.

For me personally, Knight let's me do my job with minimal oversight and direction. I'm given a lot of latitude in scheduling. Load selection, time off, and operating area. In turn, I offer to take loads that others balk at, shuttle local stuff when I can, I never complain about empties, I am patient and professional in dealing with delays and issues and I'm proactive in finding solutions to problems. I also thrive in what others find as chaos. I'll find a path through it.

I have found Knight to consistently bend over backwards to accommodate me and I frequently recieve much more than adequate compensation for breakdown, weather delays, shipper and consignee delays etc.

As was said, I wouldn't put too much, if any stock in internet reviews. I'd heavily invest in reading the cdl diaries here and investigate this site. There is a wealth of knowledge here. Much more than the company name on your truck, is how you perform that makes a difference. Knight is a large company with many divisions that all offer different pay ranges and opportunities.

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

Well crapolla, got a ticket for missing a scale

Price Utah. Port of entry, head thinking about the ex and the current weather conditions, no toll pass buzzer, jerked on the brakes, probably could have made it, but it was questionable. Had to go down a few miles, then back a few miles.

Got a level 3 inspection with the citation on it, and the citation. I did refrain from any unnecessary comments on the scale workers lineage and career choices. I didn’t however refrain from letting the Leo know that he was number one in my book by way of one finger salute on the way out of the scale, for which he followed me out of town as a courtesy I'm sure.

268.00 fine for failing to obey a traffic signal. Contemplating getting a lawyer on it as its worth the money to me if it gets changed to a non moving.

Irritated about it. Not the end of the world but a blemish none the less.

Posted:  2 weeks, 4 days ago

Backing Tips

Tons of good advice. I check satellite images and steet view like a person with ocd in a home full of crooked hanging pictures. Also like G town said, I do it by feel most of the time, I just sort of developed a feel for the arc it's going to take. I know for a long time I obsessed on setup and looking for a reputable pattern of movement but eventually found that the concept is the same but it's kind of a zen thing for me.

Also, I rarely make big sweeping movements of the wheel anymore.

I prefer the tandems in the middle to back but honestly don't care that much. Some places have me move them all the way back, some I have at the 40, others, wherever it scaled out to even weights. But I practice backing with them in different locations.

Also, at Sam's and Lowes, it's nit uncommon for me to have to dock and move 4 or 5 trailers which gets you plenty of practice.

If you want a super tight place in Denver, the PCA DC is a nightmare. Mostly blindside too.

Posted:  2 weeks, 6 days ago

The more I drive, the more I love night driving.

I drive nights a lot. My usual though is about 12:30 pm to 3 or 4 am. Never any parking but I just park at hole in the wall old school truck stops and grab a shower in the morning at a loves or J when they're empty.

I absolutely hate morning before 10 am and my DM knows it, so he will usually give me late night appointments if he can. But one goes when and where the freight is.

Posted:  3 weeks, 2 days ago

Just a few random thoughts

Anne, the email brightened my day. Some days are good, some not so good.

G town, thought about what you said in a post about Cali. Dropped my speed down a bit there. Always watching my wagon.

OS, I think about how you function within Knight and keep trying to emulate it. Seems to be working.

PianoMan, feel a kindred spirit to you in many ways, not ready to jump to skateboarding yet, but one of these days.

Packrat, you're Like the ass kicking uncle everyone needs.

Bret, I wouldn't be driving if not for you putting this all together.

Guess what I'm getting at is that there's so much more to this lifestyle than the driving to consider. Coming here is like coming home to family. I can honestly say that following the advice of the folks here that have been around a while makes for a successful journey.

Anyways, just a nod of gratitude to everyone here. One foot in front of the other, onward and upward.

Posted:  3 weeks, 2 days ago

Mega carriers who to go with

I bristle at the term mega carrier. Notwithstanding, prime, cfi, knight (although if swift declined, knight may well too, but then again I had a few speeding tickets and got hired), there are a lot of great carriers out there that if you're motivated, you can do well at.

Posted:  3 weeks, 2 days ago

I am without an assignment

Wish I'd seen this earlier. I was in Denver for the weekend. My load has a bunch of time on it and they couldn't find any local guys to take it so I couldn't T call it. I got paid layover for my 34 reset under the load.

I took the mustang out for a drive and tried to stay out of my head. Just took care of myself and enjoyed the time off while getting paid.

Posted:  3 weeks, 2 days ago

Employer ordered non-DOT Reasonable Suspicion Should have been DOT Reasonable Suspicion

I'm going to go out on a limb here, but if you're experiencing feelings of being followed and patterns of behavior that only you are noticing, your best bet would be to seek some help from a professional counselor or psychological therapist.

The much larger problem, that your employer obviously saw, was paranoid delusional instances. Also ADHD is the wrong direction to treat for, sounds more like OCD or BPD.

Posted:  4 weeks, 1 day ago

California Dreamin'?

I definitely don't recommend my choices to anyone else. I'd say usually 63 to 65. Although I'm slow in mountains and curves.

Posted:  1 month ago

California Dreamin'?

I hate Cali on principle but I make bank there.. i ignore the 55 limit and do 65. Been passed by cops numerous times, I use the hammer lane when needed. Almost all of my driving in SoCal is done at night. Northern CA is fine, bay area, same thing, only at night. I grew up in Half Moon Bay. By SF.

Posted:  1 month ago

The “off duty creep”

I do it often

Posted:  1 month ago

Sleep Berth Split Rule

I use it frequently, usually just the first part of it to pause my 14. I then will do a full 10 to reset.

Sometimes I intentionally withhold from using it, for instance if at a shipper and the loads not ready on time, if I'm low on either clock but could make it a few hours, I'll have my dm adust the delivery appointment as it's justified now, and get paid to go sleep. I'll just burn down the rest of my 14 hour waiting and then am justified in saying that my HOS was up due to shipper delay. It's also justified because had I used SSB, it would have pushed my shut down time out too far.

As an added bonus, I'll usually still make the original delivery appointment but am now a day early so have the potential of getting paid to sleep at the reciever and or picking up more range of loads. I will run it by my DM and let him know I can make it though. It gives him options and I get a fatter paycheck.

Posted:  1 month ago

Lowering landing gear at stops

A few places make me do it but also make me pull away from the trailer or complete move from it

Posted:  1 month ago

Reference points for backing

45 I do shoulder even with the center of the next space and do the z turn from there.

90 if I have the room, I put a slight 10 to 15 degree angle on it from the spot and drive forward til my end of the trailer is about 3 or 5 spaces past, then just back till it Jack knives on its own along a natural arc.

I don't really have a setup for the straight back, I usually just get it close enough and freestyle it in.

Posted:  1 month ago

Use your satellite view before getting into trouble

I use a systematic approach 1. Google sat photo. 2. Street view. 3. Google for accurate phone number instead of bad one given by dispatch. 4. Stop outside and pre walk. (Just like walking a race track before you run it).

Priorities are 1. Safety and Ease of entrance and exit. 2. Driver side back over blind side. (Somewhat even with 1.) 3. Maneuvering room. 4. Location of dock and or trailer drop. 5. Overnight parking

I have plenty of spots that's it's safer and easier to either blind side or convert from a blind to a sight side. But my default is driver side.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Swift academy

Just to clarify why I held the opinion that Knight was the acquiring carrier. In no way meant any disrespect.

On a practical day to day level, Knights Top Gun program was developed and implemented at Knight and then brought to Swift. Also several of our instructors from Squire began teaching at Swift campuses.

We're slowly beginning to merge facilities but in general it seems a long way off, the badges are two completely different systems and both our yards our over crowded. I was able to use the Sumner WA Swift yard and everyone there was friendly and helpful. The facilities were very similar to ours.

A few of us have hauled Swift trailers but very rarely.

In general though, most of the Swift personnel I have met have been very professional and friendly.

0031468001661060431.jpg

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

First year solo. Knight Flatbed

Just a bump. Hope all is well man.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Switching DMs without hurting feelings and went down a road with a 9 foot bridge, no U turn.

Davy, how are you doing? Tough time for you, keep us posted.

Ditto, BK...

Got me thinking;

Just checking Y/T . . . it's been quiet as well. We're thinking of you, Dave. Always here at TT for ya ~

Trucking with Big D ! (for those that missed it..)

~ Anne ~

I'm doing good. Thank you. Heart warming. Processing a lot of things and really growing personally. Making a lot of personal changes.

Been thin and lean all my life, I did hard physical labor for 35 years. So my calorie intake was never enough to gain weight let alone muscle mass. Fast forward to a year and a half in this industry and that changed.

Started getting a bit of a belly. Now working out consistently, great bodyweight program coupled with a healthy high protein, low carb diet, switched to only water instead of Gatorade. Am rapidly building healthy lean muscle, reducing fat and gaining core strength back. Minimal cardio as it's not needed for my body comp.

Feeling great, meditation and stretching along with walking for 1 to 2 miles between workout days. Back is feeling best it has in decades. Posture greatly improved. Mental acuity on point.

I still have my days where it challenges my emotions but I've got great tools to help with things and am pursuing counseling. Much as we take care of our bodies, our minds need help too.

Still have a circus going with loads, dispatch and DMs, but I navigate through it. Usually if I'm thinking the worst of a situation I realize it's usually due to my expectations and worries so I just step back for a minute, communicate and go on to the next load. Knight, for all my gripes, has taken care of me without fail and really makes an effort. It's my attitude that determines how my days go.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Trucking economics, trucking economies

I often wonder at the inefficiencies of the industry. I understand there are different markets in freight though. There's the spot market and contract market. I'm assuming most of the stuff I do is contract. I've done large deadheads as well and all sorts of high paying weird loads. I'm guessing that if it's anything like contracting, you make concessions if a customer is handing you millions of dollars in revenue.

For my own economic sanity, I too echo what PackRat does. Especially with the food, it ties into my workout routine and healthy living. I usually only get bottled water and milk at truck stops because of the volume of it I go through. I have very little room for milk and go through a half gallon a day easily. It's a great source of protein vs low calories and carbs. I'll usually buy a couple cases of water when I do my big shopping but it's not uncommon for me to be out 3 weeks.

I have a tethering app that let's me use my unlimited phone data. (Shhhhh. ) so 5g at no added cost. No TV, never watch it, all my stuff is in storage so no rent, etc. I keep Mt overhead as low as possible.