Comments By Mark O. ~MiNi-Me~

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/Bristol-Hauler.jpg avatar

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Having difficulty starting a driving career. Need advice please

This site is geared toward helping rookie drivers. You will find all kinds of advice on here because there are a lot of different folks in here.

That's the truth in TT. I have been a sponge on here for months, reading and making decisions. People like you OS have helped in so many ways just from your input and no nonsense, shoot from the hip advice. I cannot thank you enough for all you invest in complete strangers.

Keep in mind you are just learning this business. It will be like nothing you have ever done before. There are no shortcuts. You will struggle at first. It doesn't matter how smart you are - you will struggle as a rookie.

Because of this site, this wealth of experiences and advice shared I won't struggle as much. Thanks to each and everyone who has contributed over the years. No rose colored glasses here, I know exactly what I am about to embark upon....Monday morning at 6 sharp!

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Log book quiz

Let me start this by asking the experienced drivers to hold off on answering to give our newer drivers a shot at it.

Scenario : You arrive at a shipper, get pulled up to your door and put yourself Off Duty at 1800 (6pm). At 2030, they finish loading but your 14 hour clock has expired so you PC for 30 minutes to find parking.

What time will you get hours back, what time can you start driving and why ?

So new that I haven't even started school yet (next Monday the 25th) and just started using TT log book study tool yesterday. If I understand correctly you would start your 14 hour clock the following morning at 0630.

Thinking the PC (personal use) would not effect the 10 hour rest period.

Still learning so please correct if I am wrong.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

"non reportable accident"

Year or so ago in the state of Texas I was making a pass in the passing lane when a car merged into me. It scratched my passenger side step and there was a scratch on her hubcap. Texas DPS shows up and looks at the damage and tells me it's a "non reportable accident" because the damage was so minimal.

Is there a way I can find out if this is on my record or if there's points? Also it might be a dumb question but WTF is a "non reportable accident"????

Thanks for your time.

Here in Arizona, as I started getting ready to make this career change I was able to go to the DMV and pull an extended certified MVR. Cost five bucks and went back to 1996, the year I moved to the state. Showed everything.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

It's official!

After months of planning, tons of research and countless hours here on this forum, I got hired on at Knight and start the Squire program on the 25th of October. I am leaving the restaurant industry after decades of hard and satisfying work. I have done everything from McDonalds in my late teens, front of the house in all sorts of places, and even got my culinary arts and restaurant management degrees in the late 90's. I've owned my own restaurant, as well as a sports bar and grill in Mexico and my own catering business.

The money was great, the hard work and long hours rewarding but recently I have been looking for something to coast me into retirement (pun intended). At 54 years young, I have taken the leap. I was a little hesitant that my stature of 5' 2 3/4' inches would be a hinderance, but when I climbed up into my first cab (mainly to make sure I could reach the pedals, lol) that apprehension vanished quickly.

This amazing site; with all the valuable input from it's thousands of members, it has been of tremendous value. Special shout out to Brett for putting it all together. The High Road training program is nothing short of an amazing tool for learning everything I needed for passing my permit test as well as my hazmat endorsement. I am still utilizing more of the material to keep on learning all about weights, hours of service and more. The current (and past) moderators continue to offer inspiration, encouragement, a great sounding board for anything that comes up for all its members, new and old. Many thanks to you all as well.

So this was just an intro, I will be starting a diary as well. Some of those that I had combed through gave some great insight on what a newbie should expect, and why attitude and commitment are so very important!

Stay safe! Mark O. ~MiNi-Me~

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

My dog was hit by a car

Glad she's on the mend buddy!

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Who is only testing urine in 2021?

So even if one has quit (I last smoked in June, and smoked regularly for several years) and I test negative on a urine sample but my hair follicle reveals that I smoked a few months ago, I would be denied the opportunity to become a truck driver? Even though I'm not smoking now? I studied for my and passed the test, and I'm attempting to nail down a training school. Do I need to wait a few more months?

As an occasional user, I quit back in May when I started to look at this career change seriously. After reading about the hair tests, I wanted to make sure that everything was out of my system. Once you test for a preemployment screening, if you fail you are reported to a national clearinghouse and your career is over before it begins.Hence my reasoning for a private test. Just got my results today from Knight and I am clean as a whistle!

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Who is only testing urine in 2021?

Having my scalp butchered yesterday at the Knight terminal in Phoenix, I can assure you they do both urine and hair testing. I actually took the initiative to do my own test at a reputable lab a few weeks ago to make sure that my birthday edible in May had cleared my system. I had the lab use body hair, which has a propensity to hold the THC for longer periods, so my sample yesterday should be just fine.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

What's the right order to get my hazmat?

I live in AZ and this was my experience:

After using the training material here (thanks TT!) I took my permit test on 9/14. Fee was $25. Passed without missing any questions. I came home and took the next three days to study the HAZMAT portion. Returned to DMV on 9/17, asked to take the HAZMAT endorsement, passed again without missing any questions. Fee was $10.

I had an appointment for my TWIC card on 9/27. Fingerprinted and the fee for this was $125.25. While I was there I noticed they also did HAZMAT background check. After I finished my TWIC application, they allowed me to return to the waiting room, apply for HAZMAT and wait until there was no appointment ahead of me (about 20 minutes). Fee was $86.50. I think there would have been some slight discount if I waited until I received the TWIC to apply for the HAZMAT, but getting it out of the way seemed a better option. I got free TSA PreCheck with the package.

I had seen information that I was not able to test for HAZMAT until I had gotten my CDL-A, not just a permit, but this didn't seem to be an issue.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Tomorrow's back... maybe a tough one

Let us know how it went Dave!

Posted:  2 months ago

CFI training through Trainco Trucking School

Great journal Nathan! Congrats on all your accomplishments!!

Posted:  2 months ago

45 degree alley dock HELP

Congrats Bruce! Sounds like you've found your groove!!

Posted:  2 months ago

How Hard Is It To Get A CDL?

I've been in the restaurant industry. Everything from a pastry chef, to owner of my own establishment (twice). Last decade plus just a high end waiter.

One week to go....

Posted:  2 months ago

How Hard Is It To Get A CDL?

Hey Kevin! I am also leaving the hospitality industry for a new career in trucking. I see that you joined this forum about the same time I did, albeit I did a few months of lurking before I actually joined. During this time I have spent endless hours with the High Road Training, and got my CDL permit a few weeks ago, I also got my TWIC and HM cards/endorsements as well. Getting ready to make the leap soon, probably with Knight Squire training.

Take advantage of all the training diaries, job requirements postings, HOS information and sooo much more. I am not one to jump into the deep end without knowing just what I am getting into. As Old School says there is a lot more to the job (doing it well) than just driving.

There is a wealth of real time experiences journaled here that I have read to get a well rounded expectation of just what this career entails. I used the tag link page to get lost for awhile to make sure you can commit to this, just my two cents worth.

Posted:  2 months ago

Tips, Tricks, And Techniques For Rookie Drivers

Bump time for these great tips for all the new peeps, amazing what I find lurking for hours and weeks....

Posted:  2 months ago

A month of trucking with Daniel B.

Once again Daniel, this gem needs a bump for noobs.

Thank you for all your notes and thought provoking details that give me even more desire to forge ahead!

Posted:  2 months ago

The Adventures of Daniel B.

Bol'shoye spasibo Daniel....this was so great a read over the past few days! Thanks for all the work you did back then that is still being a great help to new drivers as they get started. Stayed up many a night reading and soaking up the first hand experience that you've documented with so much detail.

Now I'm off to see if I can find out if you started one about the experience of being a trainer!

Much gratitude,

Mark O. ~MiNi-Me~

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Medical marijuana question

I read that the testing goes back about 3 months

Rick

From my research it is about a month for every half inch of hair.

I was an infrequent user until I started to look into this as a career change. When I found out about hair testing, I stopped at once. That was in late May. I plan on going to a lab and getting hair tested in a couple of weeks, just to make sure that it isn't detectable. That is private. If you get tested for pre-employment and fail, it is reported to the clearinghouse and you are screwed, outta luck.....literally, find another line of work.

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Cooking/Eating OTR

Appreciate all the input folks!! I have been cooking dinner for four (I live alone), and vacuum sealing/freezing portioned out meals for several weeks. Thankfully I have a large freezer out in the garage. That way I'll have quite a selection to start when I finally get out alone.

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Changing Driving (Bad) Habits

Since I began this endeavor, I became aware of several bad habits that have I have been guilty of, and work everyday to expunge them from my driving routine in a four wheeler. Below are some that I am working on and appreciate any input ya'll might have about other things to be on the lookout for.

Driving with both hands on the wheel - amazing how much I didn't do this one.

Stopping - In the right spot, this one takes the cake. Behind the stop line, crosswalk, stop sign, whichever is first. Seeing the back tires of the vehicle in front.

Braking- Controlled and smooth stops.

Looking Ahead - being much more aware of 15 sec ahead on highway, block ahead in town.

Mirrors - While I always used the rear view quite often, now I used those frequent checks to utilize the side mirrors.

Following distance - Much more aware now.

Wide Turns - Why four wheelers always take the turns so tight I'll never understand. Signaling - I have never been out of directional fluid :) but now I leave on a bit longer after a lane change.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Knight Transportation (Squire Training) - Back to Phoenix I Go!

About that:

It may appear to you that your diary isn't generating many replies. That's very common with diaries. People like to read diaries, but don't always jump in with replies. But I assure you yours will be read by lots and lots of people, now and in the future.

Even us experienced drivers like to read them. It keeps us grounded, and reminds us where we came from. Thanks for giving back.

Yep, following!