Comments By Mark O. ~MiNi-Me~

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/Bristol-Hauler.jpg avatar

Posted:  7 months, 2 weeks ago

Finally on the road with Knight!

When I spot a perspective empty, here's what I do (in order):

1. Not sealed and actually an empty.

2. Jump inside and ensure it's clean and no water leaks or mystery smells/stains.

3. Good tires and passable mudflaps.

4. Visual on all the lights prior to coupling. You can hook up the electrical cord prior to backing under it.

If it passes all the above, then I'll hook up and perform a normal trailer inspection.

Thanks for the clear list Packrat! If only my trainer were crystal clear to this complete noob!

Posted:  7 months, 2 weeks ago

Finally on the road with Knight!

A little pro tip Mark, always, always, always make sure to check an empty to see that it is indeed empty before pulling it. Even better if you can check it before you hook it.

No matter who tells you it is empty because you are responsible for it if it isn't empty. People make mistakes, especially if they have a lot of trailers. better to pop the door open and confirm rather than get down the road and find out it has something in it.

Yeah... Guard shack let me waltz out witha HDV load.... Johnson reefer... Vac?

Felt like such an a$$. But that'll never happen to me again.rofl-1.gif rofl-1.gif rofl-1.gif

Posted:  7 months, 2 weeks ago

Trucking Accidents...

If you don't mind my asking Anne, if you aren't in hospitality anymore what made you get out? I'm thinking of getting out for a number of reasons which I can tell of you'd like but I'm curious about your decisions?

I know you were asking Anne, but after 35 years in almost every aspect of the restaurant from owner/chef down I am pretty much done with John Q. Public myself. Spent months lurking and reading all the diaries, blogs and sage advice to make sure this is something I could/would/should do. It is not an easy lifestyle. But I have faith in myself, am learning everyday (mostly from mistakes) and know that I am committed. First 1k miles under my belt and ready for more.

Best of luck and be sure to use all the resources here that the "Welcome Mom" has posted!

Posted:  7 months, 2 weeks ago

Finally on the road with Knight!

Thanks Kerry. I will be doing a diary. No time right now but I'm taking notes and will post it all at once when I can. I was trying to see where you were at in another post but guess you didn't see it. Are you back in the states yet??

Anne your turn coming soon. 2022 right?!! I will be following for sure.

Mark O man you ain't the only one. I did a bone head move also today smh. You started with Knight too? If you did what terminal?

I am outta Phoenix. I made sure that my trainer needed to have a TON of patience....and he said no problem! He is rethinking just how much a TON is today, yesterday and probably looking ahead. My mistakes are really stupid stuff, but this is all brand spanking new to me. After the lack of common sense yesterday he's agreed to be crystal clear, and I have agreed to do exactly what he says. Foreshadowing - "check the back and make sure it's clean" when picking up an empty does NOT mean that the doors are clean......

Posted:  7 months, 2 weeks ago

Humbling day

Davy...thanks for always putting yourself out there so that those with less experience have somewhat of a "heads-up" on what to look out for. I just wanted to make sure that you know it is appreciated!

Posted:  7 months, 2 weeks ago

Finally on the road with Knight!

That's great TwoSides11! I also just went out with mine right about the same time. I'm keeping notes to post, even though I pulled a bonehead rookie mistake today, I'll post all... Even the embarrassing stuff.

Posted:  7 months, 3 weeks ago

Questions to ask your first trainer...

Well, thanks to all the months lurking around here, a great experience with the Squire Knight school (albeit challenging), and dedication to learning, I got my CDL-A license.

Now I wait for the call from a trainer. I already know that I have to make sure they have the patience for a slow learner. My instructor told me I was one of the most improved from day 1 to graduation...ever.. LOL. It took me awhile to have my AHA moment with backing. I pulled it outta my a$$ and did it perfectly on testing day....but I am going to need to work on those skills and plan to be honest with the trainer right from the get-go. My driving is good, with problem areas when it comes to spatial awareness on turns...going wide on left and just kissing the curb every once in awhile on rights. I am better every time behind the wheel. I am good with mirrors, traffic checks, aim high in steering, big picture etc and always improving. Aced my PTI, even though I have never been mechanically inclined.

So other than asking about their expectations and vocalizing my own, what are some of the things that you wish you had asked your trainer on that first phone conversation but never did?

I can't answer your last question/sentence, but I sure am HELLA HAPPY FOR YOU, MAN!

Major kudos, Mike. Aced the pretrip. NICE. Way to GO, you. (Now, you can LEAVE that 'self doubt' on a shelf somewhere, in an old gym locker or something!)

Best always & CONGRATS!

~ Anne ~

Thanks "welcome Mom"! Not long now and you'll take the leap!!

Posted:  7 months, 3 weeks ago

Questions to ask your first trainer...

Posted:  7 months, 4 weeks ago

And So It Begins... Just Gave My Notice

Great news Matt!! Change is always intimidating, but I have done the same. Lurking around TT, reading, reading and researching, for months on end. I was making sure that it was something I could/would/should do. After 35 years in the restaurant biz, it was a big change. I also got that "you're gonna do what?!?" from many co-workers and family. I think part of that was my stature, I am a pretty short guy. But you know what? I can reach the brake pedal!

Next week is final week of school at Knight Squire. The deluge of information was palatable, with all the great prep here on TT and with the High Road training.

Congratulations, with a great attitude and knowing just what you're getting into, you'll be great!

Posted:  8 months ago

CRST TRAINING SCHOOL IN JACKSONVILLE, FLORIDA - PLEASE HELP WITH REVIEWS, TIPS, AND EXPERIENCE

Something that you might want to factor into that timeline are the new FMCSA regulations for schools and the required curriculum going into effect in February. The hours of classroom time and drive time just for school are going to increase significantly, therefore the cost will as well.

Just something to consider.

Posted:  8 months ago

Weird Question About Medical Cards

I'm in Knight Squire Training (week two) and had obtained my medical card from a certified DOT location that was an urgent care situation. When I got hired on with Knight I had to go to their doctor. Mostly the same, but this time there was some lifting 20/40/60 pounds onto different shelves. Not that easy when you're only 5' 2 3/4", but doable. There was more in-depth heart rate monitoring and a check on my color recognition. That was a bit of an issue with those "pick out the number" within lots of tiny colored dots, but then he pulled out different colored item that I easily identified.

Posted:  8 months, 1 week ago

BACKING

So kind of a "face your demon" in effect....I think that'll stick. Thanks!

Posted:  8 months, 1 week ago

BACKING

Help me with this....turn in the direction of what you do not want is correct, yes? Like, I don't like that trailer going that way so I will turn slightly that way to "ward it off"!

Anyone have a way to install this in my brain?

Posted:  8 months, 1 week ago

Am I to old to start trucking.

I'm looking for an honest opinion.I'm 47 year of age,is that to old to get in the trucking industry?

I am 54, headed into school, day three.

Posted:  8 months, 1 week ago

Is there really a trucker shortage?

Can they reach the pedals?

I know it’s true Short truckers are in high demand

See Bruce K.'s 'Personal Stuff' thread. Yes, I can !!! 5'4 on a good day.

rofl-3.gif

~ Anne ~

Taller than me Anne!!

BTW, day 1 under my belt!

Posted:  8 months, 1 week ago

Having difficulty starting a driving career. Need advice please

This site is geared toward helping rookie drivers. You will find all kinds of advice on here because there are a lot of different folks in here.

That's the truth in TT. I have been a sponge on here for months, reading and making decisions. People like you OS have helped in so many ways just from your input and no nonsense, shoot from the hip advice. I cannot thank you enough for all you invest in complete strangers.

Keep in mind you are just learning this business. It will be like nothing you have ever done before. There are no shortcuts. You will struggle at first. It doesn't matter how smart you are - you will struggle as a rookie.

Because of this site, this wealth of experiences and advice shared I won't struggle as much. Thanks to each and everyone who has contributed over the years. No rose colored glasses here, I know exactly what I am about to embark upon....Monday morning at 6 sharp!

Posted:  8 months, 2 weeks ago

Log book quiz

Let me start this by asking the experienced drivers to hold off on answering to give our newer drivers a shot at it.

Scenario : You arrive at a shipper, get pulled up to your door and put yourself Off Duty at 1800 (6pm). At 2030, they finish loading but your 14 hour clock has expired so you PC for 30 minutes to find parking.

What time will you get hours back, what time can you start driving and why ?

So new that I haven't even started school yet (next Monday the 25th) and just started using TT log book study tool yesterday. If I understand correctly you would start your 14 hour clock the following morning at 0630.

Thinking the PC (personal use) would not effect the 10 hour rest period.

Still learning so please correct if I am wrong.

Posted:  8 months, 3 weeks ago

"non reportable accident"

Year or so ago in the state of Texas I was making a pass in the passing lane when a car merged into me. It scratched my passenger side step and there was a scratch on her hubcap. Texas DPS shows up and looks at the damage and tells me it's a "non reportable accident" because the damage was so minimal.

Is there a way I can find out if this is on my record or if there's points? Also it might be a dumb question but WTF is a "non reportable accident"????

Thanks for your time.

Here in Arizona, as I started getting ready to make this career change I was able to go to the DMV and pull an extended certified MVR. Cost five bucks and went back to 1996, the year I moved to the state. Showed everything.

Posted:  8 months, 3 weeks ago

It's official!

After months of planning, tons of research and countless hours here on this forum, I got hired on at Knight and start the Squire program on the 25th of October. I am leaving the restaurant industry after decades of hard and satisfying work. I have done everything from McDonalds in my late teens, front of the house in all sorts of places, and even got my culinary arts and restaurant management degrees in the late 90's. I've owned my own restaurant, as well as a sports bar and grill in Mexico and my own catering business.

The money was great, the hard work and long hours rewarding but recently I have been looking for something to coast me into retirement (pun intended). At 54 years young, I have taken the leap. I was a little hesitant that my stature of 5' 2 3/4' inches would be a hinderance, but when I climbed up into my first cab (mainly to make sure I could reach the pedals, lol) that apprehension vanished quickly.

This amazing site; with all the valuable input from it's thousands of members, it has been of tremendous value. Special shout out to Brett for putting it all together. The High Road training program is nothing short of an amazing tool for learning everything I needed for passing my permit test as well as my hazmat endorsement. I am still utilizing more of the material to keep on learning all about weights, hours of service and more. The current (and past) moderators continue to offer inspiration, encouragement, a great sounding board for anything that comes up for all its members, new and old. Many thanks to you all as well.

So this was just an intro, I will be starting a diary as well. Some of those that I had combed through gave some great insight on what a newbie should expect, and why attitude and commitment are so very important!

Stay safe! Mark O. ~MiNi-Me~

Posted:  8 months, 3 weeks ago

My dog was hit by a car

Glad she's on the mend buddy!