Comments By Serah D.

• Serah D.
  • Comments:

Is This Possible?

Got it. Thank you.

Is This Possible?

Hi Brett,

Am a bit confused. Almost everyone says or writes that the trucking industry needs drivers. In your reply to David you wrote "And the bigger problem is that companies try to hire as few employees as possible". Can you elaborate on this please? Thanks.

Pardon my venting on CDL applications......

Hi Minnie,

I don't know about your area but in New Jersey there are private CD schools that offer finance, if you are paying out of pocket. They ask for a low down payment then you pay the balance in installments over 18 months. Maybe you could try and find out. Good Luck!!

Chains Optional

Hi Jopa,

Am all for the automatic chains, anytime. Should have made my article more clear. My comments re chaining/exercise were more in relation to Daniel B's comments.

Chains Optional

Hi,

Couldn't resist this one. Was thinking of asking if the space between the seats and the bed is enough for a total gym. This led me to browse sites re exercises a trucker can do while on the road. I came upon the website www.thehealthytrucker.net. It may be of help, I don't know.

Back to the issue of chains. How much exercise can you really get from chaining up? How many times does one have to chain up? What if you work for a company that has these automatic chains installed on their trucks, will you say no, I want to chain up manually? I think having automatic chains (just like any other convenience) will save you time to do other stuff....like actual exercise. Just my thought. But to each his/her own.

Be safe out there.

Training

Best of luck Cynthia. Thanks Starcar. Planning on sitting for my permit test this saturday. And yes, the High Road Training Program has been VERY helpful.

Training

Hi,

Was just wondering how many lady truckers were trained by men and what their experience was. Still cannot imagine being in a truck with a strange guy for a month or more, considering women's different needs. Anyone???

Driving in New York

Brett, I know you were not trying to be funny but your story was hilarious. I live in Jersey City, was in Queens and Long Island for 7 yrs. Guess I now have to look at driving in NY from a trucker's point of view. Thanks again for your replies.

Driving in New York

Ooook Brett...couldn't help laughing at some of the experiences you went through (not coz they were funny) its the way you described them. I live in Jersey City (4 years now). Before that I lived in Long Island for 2 years, and 5 years in Queens. I suppose looking at it from a trucker's view its not easy driving in NY. I now get it. Thanks y'all..

High Praise for the High Road Training Program

The bottom line is education on any level is not about regurgitating information, it is about RETAINING the information you are being taught. The way the course brings back questions from earlier modules really reinforces what you are learning, not so you REMEMBER it but so you KNOW IT!!

I agree totally.

Driving in New York

Thanks for your replies. Thought it was something to do with lack of truck routes, NY regulations or something more sinister.

Driving in New York

Hi all,

In the midst of studying I also take time to read whats on the forum. I have come across a few drivers who do not like the idea of being sent to New York or the Northeast. While checking out trucking companies I found most also give a $ incentive if one drives to New York. What is the big deal here, besides the roads being narrow???

Off Days

Thank you Redgate. Looks like a question to add to my list when I finally get to talk to a recruiter.

Off Days

Yap, I did starcar but did not get a reply to my question. Thanks for your reply. Was hoping anyone out there had actually done that and was curious to know. Guess not. Have a great day.

Logging

Hi, still studying for my permit and I came across this answer. Can someone elaborate on the first sentence please?

"You must remain within four hours of the current time and it must be done in pen. And don't tell the officer where he can "stick it" as you hand him your book!"

Off Days

Hi,

Is one allowed to accumulate off days and take one long vacation in addition to the regular vacation days? i.e., I work for 6 weeks straight earning 6 off days, but instead of taking the 6 days I only take 4 leaving a balance of 2 days etc, or will it depend on the company you work for?

Off duty time and sight-seeing...

Is one allowed to accumulate off days and take one long vacation in addition to the regular vacation days? i.e., I work for 6 weeks straight earning 6 off days, but instead of taking the 6 days I only take 4 leaving a balance of 2 days etc.

Concerned about Mechanicals

Hi, lol..am on the same boat. But I have found that besides whats on the cdl manual, and to give myself a head start, I google a) parts of a rig's engine, brake system etc. You will be surprised how much info you can get. Good luck!!!!

SRT

Thank you Starcar and Guyjax. Good advise. Will do that. Have a great weekend.

Dispatch Favors

Old School, Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Have a great weekend. "And she curtseys".