Profile For Glenbob

Glenbob's Info

Pensacola, FL

Rookie Solo Driver

Glenbob On The Web

9 months, 3 weeks ago

Glenbob's Bio

Retired from first career in 2009 (Navy). Retired from second adventure Spring 2021 (real estate broker/auctioneer ). Currently Dry Van with Knight Transportation. Email: ghrbroker@gmail.com

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Red classic

I cringe at the term mega carrier. It's usually said with disdain.

I like having terminals all over the country I can go to, shower and do laundry, having 24 hour fitness centers in many of them.

I enjoy never even a raised eyebrow when I put in for layover,(another 200 bucks in added pay this week) detention pay, hotel reimbursement, truck wash reimbursement.

I enjoy top of the line equipment and maintenance, immediate response on breakdown, hotels and rental cars provided.

I enjoy knowing everyone on a personal first name basis at my terminal, it's like its own little business. It's like a family. At the same time, I have requests and suggestions going all the way up to corporate.

I really enjoy that I get left to my own devices, a level of mutal respect and professionalism between myself and the office, I make excellent money consistently and get a lot of perks based on my high level of performance. Though I may have my complaints with the "mega" carrier I work for, the benefits far outweigh the issues.

Second, Davy’s comments. As a new driver the disdain others have towards the mega’s is baffling to me. I love it, none of the stress, bills or general headaches of O/O or L/O.

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Consistent miles working Part-Time

Part time / casual positions are out there. Probably going to have to do full time for a period then change over. I’m currently doing that. My company requires minimum 5 days (straight) a month. When working part time I do 10-14 days OTR to make it financially worthwhile. Some months I work the whole month as they leave up to me as long as I do the minimum. As far as weekends and a day here and there through the week are not feasible IMO. If you could find local delivery company or something hourly, maybe box truck, finale mile it might work. Good luck in your endeavors.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Major Carrier fuel discounts

My company has a graduated surcharge based on price per gallon built into contract(s). At one point in prehire indoc I remember being told the company fuel bill was approximately $4 million a day. Needless to say if you are spending that much you no doubt get a substantial discount. Just in the short time I’ve been with them fueling at assigned stops has become more stringent.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Finally Made It

Keep the faith, I’ve been following your post. You are a true inspiration! Sorry, to hear about your split up. Been though a couple myself. I wish there were words of comfort. One of the things I use for directions (and my nerves) is post it notes on the top of the windshield. Write big:) Generally, I review my next days travel, p/u and delivery before calling it a day. A lot of our addresses are to the front of the building not shipping or receiving. Had one last week where the company provided directions and my Garmin Dezl GPS both carried you through a truck restricted area of town, through a residential section ultimately to a entry that was unaccessible. Luckily, I’d done my trip planning the night before. Don’t beat yourself up over backing and parking it will come to you. Each situation calls for a little different approach. As you gain experience you’ll automatically adjust your setup for the situation. In the beginning anxiety would almost paralyzed me with the thought of parking at a truck stop. I spent most nights in rest areas to avoid them. One day it clicked and the intimidation was no more. Even the most experienced have trouble parking, miss a turn, from time to time. Wrong addresses and road construction are just one of the joys that keep it interesting. I was serious about the inspiration. You have meet adversity with the best. Keep your faith, believe in yourself, you have the hard part behind you.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Trucking Pay Big?

Standard of living, financial management and expectations along with work ethic will determine more than “what others are doing”. You have to do for you. I personally try to run 500+ miles everyday I’m out, that equates to what I want to make on a daily average. Last 13 days out my daily average was 547. At the same time I know folks who only go on duty for 8.5hrs a day regardless of how productive it may be. My trainer knew what he had to make for his comfort level. He would not run an extra mile unless it was headed home. Again, your habits will dictate how much you make and what you prioritize to do with it.

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

Old Man Leaves Six-Figure Management Position to Begin Training as a Trucker: Psychiatric Evaluation Pending

Best of luck to you. I walked away from being the broker owner of 3 real estate franchises to start this adventure at 62. You can do it! I can say from conversations I’ve had with our corporate owners, safety department and terminal manager our company (Knight Transportation) loves their “older” drivers. One at our terminal is 77. Don’t want to say it’s the easiest but from my limited experience would recommend training and experience in dry van. Then move to what interest you from there. I really wanted flatbed work, but it was not sustainable for me. Gaining experience every day DV with the new goal of moving to tanker someday down the road. Keep an open mind and be receptive to correction/direction. There’s a good chance your trainer will be half your age.

Posted:  4 months ago

Knight Training at last.

TwoSides, my dry van experience parallels you past week. Gets old chasing trailers, delays at customers and continual “missing” pay that the DM says he’ll pay. Never a straight answer. Miles are good around 2700 most weeks, time / ELD management has improved. No longer intimidated by backing, even at truck stop. Spent last two periods running the Midwest OK to PA and South. Generally, seems I make a big circle back to terminal. It’s the backhauls that seem to be the most hassle. Plenty dedicated freight going to and across the MW but have to pickup live loads to get back South. Seems to always be some mom & pop load in N. Ohio, Indiana, Missouri or even Oklahoma. After the PA, WV and NC mountains I’ve checked that off my list.

Posted:  4 months ago

Best truck gps app for tractor trailers?

I’m a Garmin junkie ( truck, RV, boat). Currently have the Dezl 800 in the truck. Really like it so far, have found that monthly updates help. While training my trainer had the Rand McNally no complaints it worked well. If you go to Garmin’s website they have factory refurbished units at a discount with full warranty.

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Fear of false positives with drug testing at orientation?

In one of my prior career’s I was involved in drug testing from collection to termination for 25+ years. In that time only one claimed he didn’t participate in drug usage trough out the process. All the others eventually, admitted they thought they could beat it. The process is pretty much perfected these days. Keep in mind you are dealing with Federal Government requirements not some Sports League. Getting your own test especially in advance would be of no value in my experience. Bottom line…..if your clean wiz in the bottle and be done with it. This something only you can determine.

100%in agreement with Old School on dealing with your issues. As new driver the ability to do so will be paramount to your success. Once you are solo there’s nobody in the truck “ in the moment” you need to make rational decisions. The absolute worst decision is indecision. This job requires daily reasonable approach decision making.

Best of luck in your endeavors.

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Companies to avoid?

Would recommend a company sponsored school vice private party CDL mills. If you research the “schools” you’ll find although they call themselves “Truck Driving - School/Academy/Institute” they are only a path to your license. Maybe a few tidbits here and there and that’s it. I went that route and had several companies tell me in the hiring process “they were not a real school”. I now understand. I can say the only thing I carried forward from them was straight line backing. Several of us here currently work for Knight Transportation and are happy there. I can personally say they have lived up to everything they stated in the hiring process. They have an outstanding company training program without a lengthy commitment. Terminal in Charlotte NC maybe your closest. Keep in mind 90+% of what you read online was written by a disgruntled employee. As others have said stay away from 1099 and LO/OO companies starting out. Whither you stay for a career or to gain experience plan to spend you learning time with a mega carrier. There’s so much to learn in a short amount of time. Choose a company that treats you fair, gives you opportunity and give them a days work in return for your education. Best of luck in your endeavors.

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Florida kingpin law. Need some advice how to measure

That looks about where I run mine here in FL. Some Knight trailers have it marked. Otherwise, I use the reinforcement piece there as approximate guide. The chart in the front of your Motor Carrier Atlas will tell you exactly where the measurements are taken for the different states that have restricted requirements.

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

Why Does This Crazy Stuff Keep Happening To Me?

OS, you know what a rookie I am. You’ve heard the phrase “a nickel for ever time” well I wish I had one for every LO/OO that’s told me…… you won’t get rich working for them, mega carrier’s rip you off, to make real money you have to work for yourself blah, blah blah. Like you I’ve previously owned my own business (3 ReMax franchises and Auction Co). Frankly, I like the no stress of ownership, do my job and call it a day. I’m not a rocket scientist but can figure 100% of risk vs 3-5% additional profit over company driver. The other side of this goes along the lines of I don’t work for anyone else, I’m my on boss etc. Well guess what we all have something/someone be it customers, creditor or family driving us. Had I entered this business in my 40’s probably would have looked at OO myself, was up for the challenge then. Much like you in this case I move along, often wondering were they trying to convince me or themselves.

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

Swift Academy Memphis Tennessee

During Top Gun you’ll learn 1/4 turns coupled with slow approach and GOAL will prevail in most situations. I have trouble at times visualizing my pivot point for my tandems when docking at some locations. For that I carry two small orange cones about 12” tall. GOAL, set my pivot points and go from there usually make myself proud. Remember it takes 8-12’ to see reactions from 1/4 inputs. Originally, I’d become impatient and crank more steering than needed setting myself up for doing it the hard way. In my short experience there have been docks that required quicker turns due to maneuver room or lack there of you’ll become confident in your ability with practice. Once you gain confidence, learn the reaction of the equipment with given input and paired with instruction received you’ll be backing like a boss.

Posted:  5 months ago

Interstate highway construction history.

Asked this question to a friend who lives upper NW Ohio. He said when the highway was built they excavated to get dirt to build up for ramps and overpass construction. I figured that was a reasonable as anything.

Posted:  5 months ago

Swift Academy Memphis Tennessee

I had the pleasure of attending Top Gun school there at the Memphis academy. Stay focused on why you are there. I found the training and equipment top notch. Spent time on the same range as those learning to obtain their CDL. As someone who went to private school I can say SWIFT is light years ahead of my experience. DO NOT let the internet BS get in your head. I would have no problem working for them, currently a Knight employee. The negativity towards “mega carriers & rookies” seems to be a favored topic around the web. Remember, everyone was a rookie at some point. Unless you fall into or born into a opportunity your first job will probably be a mega carrier. Again, stay focused, learn everything you can, be proactive. This training is the foundation you will build upon. Lacking experience training is all you’ll have to start with.

Posted:  5 months ago

Did I just lose my job

Being a rookie myself my only experience is my personal situation. I too made a bad decision on a right turn. No damage but it did require a wrecker. Biggest thing with the safety department was owning the mistake and learning from it. Sounds as if you have pretty much done that. Move forward using it as learning point. You can only offer on the restitution part. Probably a little embarrassment on his part also. From my previous career learned; nobody hurt, nothing that can’t be repaired, use it as a learning/training point and move on.

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

Knight Training at last.

It’s been awhile since my last update. The education continues…… Volunteered to take a load over the weekend to NW PA. Rolls of paper that were weeks past delivery date. So I was told. Arrive at shipper 2p Friday afternoon only to be told the load will not be ready until 10-10:30 Saturday morning. No, big deal call DM he acts shocked says he’ll pay extra. Finally, get load head out going up I-65 then to 71 across Ohio to Erie PA and across 86. Saturday driving sucked as most of the day was in rain of some sort. Sunday, beautiful set out to make up some lost time. 628 logged Sunday. While having lunch and checking the weather I see the winter storm headed for PA. Research several weather apps and determine if I drop and hook at 6am I should have several hours to get south of the weather front. Hatch my plan set in motion. Show up at receiver to find they are closed today for Easter. To add fuel to the fire my empty is still sitting there loaded. Takes DM a while to come up with an alternative. Needless to say I did not beat the weather. Keep in mind I’ve been strictly SE region Atlanta N to Miami SE to Corpus SW. Now I’ve experienced the 6% grades of the Allegheny Forrest. Snow slush and reduced visibility like I’ve not seen before understand a whiteout. At one point I had stopped on the shoulder planning to stay there. Snow plow comes along a says “you can’t stay here follow me”. That was the worst 3 miles I’ve driven in my life! Yes, that was the 6% grade that trucks slow to 20mph in good weather. Get this I’m behind the snow plow 6-8 mph with cars overtaking on the left going everywhere. Some successful some not. The log truck in front of the plow drug his trailer along every guardrail we came to. Twice I could feel the drives start to slide. Each time my heart dropped and butt puckered. No cowboy here, never again for me. I now sit typing this in a Lowes parking lot waiting on morning, temps have improved and roadways are fairly clear. Visibility was the biggest issue this afternoon and not wanting to be on the road after dark and things re-freeze. Hopefully, head to Ohio tomorrow for load then Adairsville GA. Nothing above I-40 in my future.

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

Knight Training at last.

Sorry for the slack in posting. I’ve been out a couple of weeks nursing a shoulder. Then we had some family life stuff crop up. Dr gave the all clear last Friday the 25th. Hit the road today a 3 stop journey. I’ve had to switch over to dry van. Enjoyed the flatbed just not physically able at this point in life. Everyone take care and I’ll try and improve on posting.

Posted:  7 months ago

Knight Training at last.

Completed my first load yesterday 11:30ish logged 618 on the odometer before shutting down for the evening. Needless to say I didn’t have any trouble going to sleep. Bad part was an hour and half from sleeping in my own bed. Head back to Delhi for a load to South FL that changed 3 times. Now I’m doing a reset in beautiful Delhi. Lol. Long story but short version shipper is short handed.

Posted:  7 months, 1 week ago

Knight Training at last.

I’ve been busy since getting off the truck with the trainer. Monday was spent at the terminal largely waiting and more waiting. Finally had road test and two backing evolutions which were uneventful. One between cones one between trailers. Finally truck assignment. Let me say up front I did not expect a new truck. However, neither did I expect the first two on the list. Ended up with a late 18/19 Volvo 347k. After my first 1k since assigned I’ve come to the conclusion we both have a little age and wear. But overall I’m happy with it. For you Knight guys 522803. On the funny side first scale house stop. Guy ask what a you hauling, me aluminum green light comes on as I roll away I hit the window button and nothing happens. It’s only 46 degrees outside and 65 mph doesn’t get any warmer. Find a safe place to pull over and for what seemed like 30 minutes I pull up on it nothing. I sit and ponder what next it’s 1am. I walk around the truck taking in the fresh cool air. Debate myself about what I can block the hole with. Climb back into the cab slam the door and the damn window slowly very slowly creeps up. So far today it’s worked every time. A little over 500 miles today ready to call it a day. Will try and post tomorrow’s adventures when I stop for the day.

Anne, those shoulder surgeries are a bear sometimes. My Dr has been reminding me I’m not getting any younger. Something about taking longer to heal. Lol. Take it easy they are brutal if have to redo. My neighbor fell on his about 3wks after surgery. I saw what he had to go through.