Profile For Matthew P.

Matthew P.'s Info

7 months, 3 weeks ago

Matthew P.'s Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Fired from walmart...

Learning experience. We get put in a lot of ****ty situations early on. I feel for you. Some of these dinosaurs may not. They've forgotten what it is like in my opinion. So, I take some of the comments with that thought in mind. I will ponder the helpful stuff seriously. The other stuff though. I shine it on.

Really is a hard world though. You have to get everything "right" 100 percent of the time. I've taken my own beating from a POS trainer and a company that wants to put drivers on the road and let the strongest survive. They claim excellent training. It has been anything but. They failed in a very important part because of lack of monitoring. Not my problem though. I am driving and now need to figure out how to provide excellent work.

A few lessons came my way. Hard ones too. Unfair as F but it is what it is. This is the world we work in. I am committed to learning and not repeating the errors. If you're going to be in this business I'd suggest a similar attitude. We had a saying in another business I used to be in. Embrace the suck!

Best I can recommend is asking a ****load of questions. My "peer" group and support is pretty awesome. They help keep me out of trouble. Had a really great trainer adopt me and he has been a real help. Having a lot of friends to reach out to other than those meathead night dispatch folks is a great help too. If I didn't hate facebook so much I'd join that group too talking about what to do for certain situations. Just can't stand the stuff though so that isn't something I use but it is there.

Best to you as you process what happened, decide how you are going to approach similar situations in the future and be successful.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Trucks stop help

Use Google Maps satellite view and search around the area near the consignee. We flatbedders have to get creative about parking. This is one of my techniques. I will use street view to "walk" the area and look for no parking signs etc

Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I've posted. I'm on month three driving solo and doing well. However, I picked up a load yesterday that presents me with my biggest challenge to-date.

It's a live unload in Northern Vermont along the Canadian border next week. I can't span the distance on an 11 hour drive clock. The pickings appear slim once I get past Syracuse. In fact, there is a message in my que to top off in Syracuse before proceeding any further. I'm traversing route 11 across from rt 81. I've checked several websites and can't find anything except a small truck stop on route 87 just south of 11, but I won't make that on 11 hours unless it's a perfect drive with no lost time.

If I can't find anything between Waterloo and Champlain, I'm considering leaving a day early and breaking up the trip into two short driving days and arrive early for the live unload. For added excitement, I have a live load two hours away from the consignee and have to drive out again. So, I'm trying to get as close as I can the day b4 the live unload.

Grateful for any help.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Passenger Policy when driving Teams

Great Dane?

And there is possibly a pet in the mix.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Heat exhaustion

Everyone thanks for the comments.

I have to clarify something. What I was talking about was the extremes of heat. Right now my coworkers and I are doing hard labor in 90 to 100° heat with a high relative humidity. It is pretty tough to do this kind of work in this environment.

Someone mentioned watching your sodium intake. Generally that is a good recommendation. With the extreme sweating you really have to address losses of electrolytes.

We've already had several drivers drop from the heat.

I'm using a world health organization recipe. In some of the poor countries they use this kind of therapy to treat electrolyte and fluid losses from diarrheal illnesses. They call the stuff Pedialyte in the United states.

Just hoping to stay healthy during this extreme weather and keep working effectively. It sure has been a lot more challenging in the last week.

Thinking about telling my dispatcher that I want to be in the northwest until september. Haha!

Everyone stay safe and healthy during this heatwave.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Heat exhaustion

Well, that time of the year. I've been close already. 600 mile run today. No load or unloads. I am a happy man for that. Still wiped a bit though.

My strategy. Slow down. Take breaks in the AC in the truck. I mixed my own oral rehydration solution. Table salt, Gatorade, sodium citrate and potassium. Tastes like **** but it helps.

Would like to hear any more tips folks have. Also be careful if you are working out in the heat. Even the younger guys are getting beaten up right now.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Tornado in ohio

Anne, I heard they had warning and were sheltered when the Tornado hit. Tore the warehouse up, tossed trailers around. Bad juju. And that was only an F2. Could you imagine something more powerful?

Where do you and Tom live? I grew up in Tipp. Haven't lived there for many years. Now a Texan and 4 years away from being a retired Texan. Just saying.....:-)

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

Old Man Leaves Six-Figure Management Position to Begin Training as a Trucker: Psychiatric Evaluation Pending

I got you beat by a year. I just started in trucking. I left a miserable existence and started flat-bedding. I was making a considerable amount of money doing what I was doing before however I dreaded going to work everyday.

I took about a 50% pay cut however I don't give a s***. My blood pressure is down my weight is less my mood is much better. In the scheme of things I upgraded in my opinion

Good luck to you and I look forward to reading what you have to say as she goes through the initial process.

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

Tornado in ohio

Anne, I remember all those things that Tom is mentioning to you. That blizzard in 78 was something else. I was home after school watching cartoons when w h i o came on with a tornado warning for Xenia in 1974. Boy, reading your threat brought back a lot of memories.

Still have a lot of local contacts in the area. No one was hurt at the Meijer distribution center. Tore the hell out of the building.

That event caught my eye of course. I grew up about a mile from that particular dc. Crazy stuff happens with weather in that area.

Just relieved that everyone was okay in d that building.

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

Just got fired not even 3 months in

I was on 25 in NM going towards Cruces. There is one hill that isn't marked well. Short and Very steep. Governed at 65. Crested the hill and speed went rapidly to 79 before I could start getting things backed down. Max Jake's, some careful braking and I was back to a sane speed. Scared the crap out of me. It can happen real fast. 89 seems excessive. Reckless even. However, I can't judge as I had my own experience with a lapse in attention.

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

Flatbed Securement Discussion 2022

Thanks. I left out the obvious stuff. Hogtie x chains straps etc. Going to have to talk to the safety guy in our company again and see what the deal is. Someone else had told me a chains we're not really required for securement. I see them being used in our load securement manual. That particular securement is an awful lot of work.

The "A" chain is a method sometimes used for skidded coils, or those "eye to the sky". The method wasn't recommended by my company, so I never used it, instead preferring "X" chains or straps, or a combination of both. The only "A" chains I used were to create a bulkhead with my dunnage.

Shotgun coils are secured with a combination of "X" and "C" chains, with additional straps side to side over the coils when needed.

When hauling coils, you absolutely need to be quite familiar and comfortable with throwing chains.

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Depressed and burnt out

I read a book every day. The Daily Stoic by Ryan Holiday. I would recommend it as a tool to help you manage this difficult life.

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Watch your wagon... G-town

G Town never gave me advice on sliding my spread axles. Still waiting 😂

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Flatbed Securement Discussion 2022

I was asking about "A" chains to prevent forward and backward movement. Somebody told me that was the "old" way of doing things. I am skeptical. Hate throwing chains. Sure can see the need though.

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Flatbed Securement Discussion 2022

Shotgun and 4 coils in a row. My bad. Was pretty tired last night

So, stack of 4 suicide steel coils. Do you all use a chains?

I don't understand a "stack" of four suicide coils.

If you're talking about coils on a deck settled into dunnage then yes you would use chains.

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Flatbed Securement Discussion 2022

So, stack of 4 suicide steel coils. Do you all use a chains?

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

How screwed am I?

Don't sweat it. It's minor. They'll say something. Then they move on. Hundreds of other drivers to deal with. Probably 100's of other small incidents too.

Posted:  4 months ago

Knee replacement

I'm a huge fan of that kind of therapy! Also a fan of 40 mg of kenalog and marcaine

I am a HUGE proponent of the cryo-therapy packs. (I recommend the DonJoy IceMan Clear3 unit)

I have metal plates, screws, and wires in both ankles. I was off opiate pain meds in two days for daylight, (still dosed at night) and fully off by day 6 onto just Advil and Tylenol.

Workman's comp is one of the very few insurance situations that allow these units, but they are worth their weight in gold. I have used mine on both ankles, and my knee, so I'm pretty much sold on their use. I would freeze water bottles, and drop those into the tank. It didn't get as cold as cubes, but lasted far longer.

Posted:  4 months ago

Two Month's Experience Reflections

Well that sounds about right matt. It's almost like you wrote my story. Good for you man!

Thanks for going smoothly and I had my most challenging day today. Got to a shipper they messed up and loaded the wrong load on me. They caught it after I had everything secured in one tarp thrown. So that led to a 6-hour ordeal. Now I have a check engine light on. Off to the terminal tomorrow for a check.

Otherwise, no complaints. I'm glad to hear that you're doing well!

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

2022 Operation Road Check

Crazy. Went through LA, AL, GA and TN. Nothing at all like TX. They were very aggressive this year. At least it is over now.

What a difference between the states. Texas has been very aggressive. Crossed over into Louisiana and I see no law enforcement presence at all. I'll get the sample Arkansas and Tennessee tomorrow.

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Bizarre encounter with another driver

Man! What a bummer. I avoid places with a lot of trucks around because of the dumbassery.

You handled it well. Kudos