Profile For Xnihilo

Xnihilo's Info

Phelan, CA

Considering A Career

7 years ago

Xnihilo's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Posted:  2 weeks, 2 days ago

Pay raises at Knight.

Found out today while we were training on using the app that pay went up all the way across the board. For Squire Trainees, its now 800 a week (after you have graduated from Squire school) and base pay to start for Squire solo is now .44 cpm. Stoked on that.

And..... Swift is offering $800 a week during training and $.44-46 once assigned a tractor. Either way you can’t go wrong.

Stoked.

Posted:  2 weeks, 3 days ago

Things Are Bad, Running Out of Time

You are right about everything but one thing...

It isn't a career killer. Even if your time there is indeed done...you can find a way. You say you want this...but willing to just give up? Get yourself up, dust yourself off and get er done...even if somewhere else.

+1 on this

Posted:  2 weeks, 3 days ago

Things Are Bad, Running Out of Time

Thanks Xnihilo. The problem is that the calls for help have been made and can’t be undone. The conversations that have been had cannot be unspoken.

Had I simply kept my mouth shut and not made a call to ask for help (imagine that, a student asking for help...), I probably would have eventually gotten it in there, whether it took me another hour or not. The problem—and these are their words, not mine—is that 1 hour to back isn’t acceptable. 45 minutes to back is not acceptable. Hell, 30 minutes to back isn’t acceptable, if I’m at a vendor like Wal-Mart or Costco (their words, and major customers of ours). I don’t have unlimited time to figure it out, and time has run out. This is the “final exam,” as they repeated ad nauseam today.

I’ll repeat myself: calling to ask for help may have been a career-killing mistake. If I’m given another chance, it’s one I won’t make again. We will find out tomorrow.

It wasn't wrong to ask for help. Anyone starting out better ask for help in this industry. Safety before pride.

Serious prayers for you, my friend. We all want to hear some good news from you tomorrow. You're going through this for a reason. When you master it you'll be able to encourage others going through this baptism of fire.

Posted:  2 weeks, 3 days ago

Things Are Bad, Running Out of Time

Stop calling for help. Be a professional and get the damn trailer in there.

Thanks for the encouragement, *******.

I realize that now but it’s too late.

Go **** yourself you piece of ****.

Eugene,

I know Sid's response came across cold--especially with everything you are going through--but really it might be a good attitude. You just gotta do it.

Your situation reminds me years ago when I bought my wife a new car with a manual tranny. Thing is she never had driven one, but was sure she could do it with my instruction. Days went by with me (patiently) showing her the ropes, but she just couldn't get the hang of it. Then I had the bright idea to let her have it on her own. I got out of the car and left her in a parking lot of a mall. It was totally up to her. Failure not an option. Amazing thing is that a couple of hours later she was buzzing around the lot shifting gears like a champ.

You have the desire; you're a smart guy judging from all the posts you have placed on this forum.

You gonna let backing take you down? No you're not.

No You Are Not.

You're the captain. Take care of that ship.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Need help with issue

That's tragic, Eugene. I hope the perps get the full extent of the book thrown at them. No one should have to live in fear of their lives regardless of how we feel about their lifestyle. I do believe, however, that if you feel uncomfortable being around someone and if for some reason hinders doing your job correctly, then perhaps there should be other options. What I think is tragic as a nation is that we are labeling people who disagree with someone's lifestyle as hate.

Would I be able to train with the OP's trainer even though I'd (honestly) be grossed out by his dress and conduct? Yeah, I'm a big boy and I can get through it as long as I felt I'm getting properly trained to be a successful driver. Would I be able to train with a convicted pedophile? No. He would be so accident prone from his face falling on my fist that it would render him ineffective.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Need help with issue

Troll? Maybe, maybe not. No one can say for sure, so why not stick to the topic that has a lot of relevance to most people in the work force today. For sure, when the topic was posted we all put ourselves in the scenario of "what would I do?" Totally legit. I enjoyed everyone's take on it whether I agreed or not. In doing so we are able to form a more educated position that might in some way prevent us from crossing the line or being a victim (iron sharpens iron, right?)

As usual, Kearsey brings things to the table that most of us might not have considered, like overhearing an off-colored joke and being reprimanded for it. If you recall my earlier post, this same thing happened to a trainer I worked with in the mid 90's! It is certainly more sensitive now.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Need help with issue

The OP has no posts prior to this one and hasn’t left his mother’s basement in Dallas since it started.

Maybe he has his answer and doesn’t need to respond anymore.

To criticize him and say he’s in his mother’s basement is a cheap shot when he was looking for serious advice from this site.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Need help with issue

As a woman I make it a point not to show cleavage _(although I have a lot of it)

dancing-dog.gif

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Need help with issue

Why would you say that?

Because the attitude and behavior he's exhibiting is the very definition of homophobia. But that doesn't make him a bad person, and I'm certainly not judging him for feeling him the way he does. He's entitled to feel any way he wants.

No it's not.

He's already stated he doesn't have a problem with someone being gay; it's how he's flaunting his lifestyle. For a trainer he should be as professional as possible. Flirting with anyone on the CB is very unprofessional. Do it all you want when you're going solo not while someone is learning the ropes. On a side note, I've heard gay people say they 'hate' the flamer type. By your definition are they homophobic?

Also, I'm sure you've been around people who made you uncomfortable. Does it mean you have a phobia or your personalities just don't jive?

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Need help with issue

The problem is the over the top flamboyance, daisy dukes, flirting, and just the in general man trying to be a woman. It’s absolutely disgusting. If I say one wrong word to him or to my driver manager I could be seen as being homophobic.

Well you are, so...

Why would you say that? He's stating he's uncomfortable with the conduct of this (obviously) highly sexualized individual. That doesn't make him homophobic.

Case in point: Many years ago I drove a van delivering pharmaceuticals. The guy training me for a week was constantly telling dirty jokes (actually reading them to me from a collection he put together), giving details of acts with women he said he'd been with; even boasting on how he cheated on his wife. I had enough and told him to knock it off. He didn't. I reported him to management and he was terminated for sexual harassment.

The OP is asking for advice. The last thing he needs is self-righteous judgment from someone who isn't exposed to it.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Game: What are your goals?

Retire from 23 years of teaching this June.

Begin Swift training immediately after.

Get at least one-year of successful OTR experience.

Move back to the South (not sure where).

Get a food-grade tanker gig; hopefully able to get home every weekend.

Drive until I'm 70, health permitting.

Work in my church.

Start a small-dog rescue after I retire from trucking.

Bar-hop on my Harley.

Fish.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Need help with issue

Hey guys, I’m going to ask for advice and be as respectful as I can. I’ve been a long time lurker and really enjoy this site and the advice you all give. I’m working for a major carrier (would prefer not to say who) and on my trainers truck. My trainer is 34 and has been driving for 5 years. The issue I’m having is he is gay, very flamboyant, and very emotional. He wears makeup, wears very short shorts on the truck, sometimes wears halter tops, etc. Several times he has flirted with truckers over the CB calling them honey, baby, cutie, etc. Its driving me absolutely crazy! I’m just very uncomfortable with this situation. He’s been a pretty good trainer but I don’t want to be around this for 30-45 days. I was raised with values that don’t support/agree with his lifestyle and I don’t want to be living with him in a box for this long. I understand I will have to deal with people I don’t agree with in this industry and that is just fine, but there’s a difference between dealing with people and temporarily living with them. Instead of being PC, please think about what you would do if you were in this situation and let me know. Thanks

If the company had asked if you would you be comfortable living with a female trainer what would you have said?

I see no difference.

But he does.

The point is that he is uncomfortable and it hinders is focus, hence this thread. Is it okay for a woman to request another woman as a trainer because she would be uncomfortable "living" with a man in a box for weeks? Of course it is! This should be no different. However, his company should have informed him about this beforehand to avoid any issues. Then again with all the PC crap going on, maybe they aren't allowed to for fear of being labeled a homophobe.

Posted:  1 month, 4 weeks ago

Dont get speeding tickets if you want to get hired easily.

Heading up the interstate in Orlando I was driving my 2006 GTO at about 85. These four crotch rockets passed me with no problem. Oh, they were all doing wheelies when they passed.

Wuzzat you, Davy? embarrassed.gif

Posted:  1 month, 4 weeks ago

Dont get speeding tickets if you want to get hired easily.

Davy,

Don't give up on a two-wheeled life. If you're like me (and you are) you will not be able to get it out of your system. What I did was change perspectives on The Ride. Instead of dragging knees around Angeles Crest Hwy, I switched to a slower, more contemplative type of riding and exploring on my DR650 and Electra Glide. Maybe it's just age, but I don't feel like I've lost anything; I think I'm enjoying motorcycling more than ever. Instead of fearing the po-po around every corner I now wave to them on the way by. Face it, if you're stressed about The Ride what's the fun in it?

Posted:  2 months ago

Dont get speeding tickets if you want to get hired easily.

The main reason I sold my Ducati. I was fortunate I didn't get a ticket, but constantly looking over my shoulder for smokies took all the fun out of it. Went to dual-sport and Harley to keep things reasonable.

Posted:  2 months ago

COVID May Be Forcing Me Into A Trucking Career

Anyone interested in trucking work because the COVID crises has shut down a lot of work? I work for one of those places and I am now having to scrap for whatever work I can get!

Yeah, sort of.

What I mean is that my job changed radically because of Covid. I teach 7th grade and I now have to do it remotely. I can't stand it. Covid is making me jump ship. Something I've wanted to do for a while, so now I have the push.

Posted:  2 months ago

So I Checked Out the Swift Academy in Fontana...

And I be impressed!

I've been narrowing down the choices for CDL sponsored companies and Swift just seems to have all the best options for me. One of the best is they are a 45-minute drive from my house to Fontana, so no Motel6 for me. Yay!

From the brief tour I was given by Carlos the director (they were very busy), they seem to have a really great program. Large practice lot, new tractors (all auto...BOO!), nice classroom, and meeting a few of the staff they all are very friendly. I told Carlos that I will be doing my DOT physical and getting my permit in the spring, but he said don't. They do it all there with DOT doctors and DOT instructors on campus. Nice! One-stop shopping. I like that.

Swift has a lot of internet haters, and haters can hate all they want. But if there ever was a doubt in my mind about Swift there is one word that keeps me in line.

G-Town.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Recruiter responsiveness

Nowhere have I seen an asking of these credentials for an initial inquiry for employment.

You wont! It will just put you in a better position. The recruiters are fielding calls all day, everyday from people just poking around. Some serious people can get overlooked in crowd. Once you have passed the DOT physical and obtained your permit you’re on their radar

I never thought about that. Points well taken.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Recruiter responsiveness

Once you have your CLP and medcard, recruiters are more responsive. They know that you have invested time and willing to commit to a trucking career.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Recruiter responsiveness

Just a survey, not a lot of discussion needed. How responsive where the recruiters you interacted with? I have been dealing with 3 from separate companies. 1 had responded via phone and email in less than 3 hours or the following morning. Another has taken a week at a time to respond. Another has yest to respond after 3 weeks and 3 messages left to their voice mail and 2 emails to the company orgbox. I don't want to drop a dime on company names, but after reading a bunch of forums here about recruiters, the one who makes an effort towards me is likely to get my nod. At what point have you "cut bait" and moved on?

Yep.

I've definitely experienced what you are talking about. Using this service to reach out to recruiters, I've received...(wait for it)...three. And of those three only one really took a remedial interest in my application. For the most part what I have found is if you really want to pursue a company you have to be proactive. Forget about recruiters falling over themselves looking for qualified candidates. You want it? You must seek them out.